Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lost

Lost (Page 11)
greenamp
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 10:08 AM

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 10:20 AM

Nice one, thank you.

Will a rescue effort be a part of Season 3? Mr. Lindelof and Mr. Cuse would not say but allowed that if this season was about the hatch, next season will be about the Others, as led by the oblique Henry Gale (played by Michael Emerson, who will join the regular cast). Mr. Cuse listed what viewers will learn about the Others by this time next year: "Who are these people? How many of them are there? What is their history? What are they trying to accomplish?"
Should be interesting.

sabrejim
May 26, 2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Good article. So the Challah was the last Penny thing. It didn't seem that big while I was watching it. Could it just be a coincidence that she was looking for something and Desmond just happens to be the source of that something? It seems like there's so many other coincidences that this wouldn't be out of left field. Why was station that called Penny located in a snowy land? Antartica? Would it be easier to detect magnetic anomolies there?

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by kaze0
Good article. So the Challah was the last Penny thing. It didn't seem that big while I was watching it. Could it just be a coincidence that she was looking for something and Desmond just happens to be the source of that something? It seems like there's so many other coincidences that this wouldn't be out of left field. Why was station that called Penny located in a snowy land? Antartica? Would it be easier to detect magnetic anomolies there?
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that you can detect an EMP that size ( which is roughly equivalent to a nuclear bomb ) anywhere on the globe.

This seems to suggest that Penelope knows something about the Island, and knows that Desmond is there. The reason her team was in Antarctica was so that they would have a better change of detecting the smaller pulses that happen routinely when the button is pushed or something. It wasn't a coincidence they were there. She must know the island is somewhere in the southern hemisphere, and she must know that it occasionally emits small magnetic pulses. But to know all this would mean she must know everything about it.

I say all this assuming they were in Antarctica. They very well may not have been.
( Last edited by greenamp; May 26, 2006 at 10:44 AM. )

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 08:28 AM

Right now I'm thinking Statue + Massive Electromagnetic Field + Location Near Antarctica (guess)= Atlantis somehow... but that seems too obvious.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

himself
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
so it was an accident, but a seemingly pre-ordained accident. too many of those passengers belong on the island.
It may not be an accident... if you go back to how it starts, Kelvin (Desmond's "mentor") prepares to leave the hatch in his biohazard suit, but with a huge opening in the leg (and I assume he intended for Desmond to see this)... Desmond follows him out, discovers that there is no "contamination," and when Kelvin notices Desmond following him, Kelvin says something to the effect of "I wonder what took you so long" (maybe not exactly). They have their tussle (probably not a part of the plan, then again maybe it was expected), but Desmond gets back to the hatch in time to enter the code, only not before the "system failure" is initiated.

My guess is that Kelvin may have been in contact with some higher-ups, and knew about the Oceanic flight (or he didn't know but was otherwise instructed to draw Desmond away at the proper time) and needed to create the situation that would cause the plane to crash... the people on that plane were brought together for some specific reason, after all (obviously), and getting them all on that particular flight was an integral part of the plan. New test subjects were needed (for whatever tests they are doing), they identified some potential "candidates," and this was their plan to bring them together.

And, I'm willing to bet that Kelvin isn't dead either.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

paul w
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 07:40 AM

No. You cannot control a plane crash, and ensure that certain will survive whle others won't. I'm sorry, but that's beyond absurd. The plane could have easily crashed just a bit further off the island, and there would have been no survivors.

It seems to me that this show started as a rather simple drama of a bunch of people who survived a plane crash and were stranded on an island somewhere in the Pacific. The device of the unexplained phenomena and the shadowy, unseen beast added to the overall story, insomuch as it created suspense - kept us on our toes.

But the whole mysterious danger lurking just off camera device can't last forever, and the writers had to eventually give us something, so they created the hatch, showed us the monster-nothing but black smoke and the Others - enemies to unite them and give them a cause to fight.

There's no more real suspense - and no the writers are forced to come up with more and more outlandish stuff to keep us hooked. I mean, the four toed foot statue? C'mon...

himself
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
No. You cannot control a plane crash, and ensure that certain will survive whle others won't. I'm sorry, but that's beyond absurd. The plane could have easily crashed just a bit further off the island, and there would have been no survivors.

It seems to me that this show started as a rather simple drama of a bunch of people who survived a plane crash and were stranded on an island somewhere in the Pacific. The device of the unexplained phenomena and the shadowy, unseen beast added to the overall story, insomuch as it created suspense - kept us on our toes.

But the whole mysterious danger lurking just off camera device can't last forever, and the writers had to eventually give us something, so they created the hatch, showed us the monster-nothing but black smoke and the Others - enemies to unite them and give them a cause to fight.

There's no more real suspense - and no the writers are forced to come up with more and more outlandish stuff to keep us hooked. I mean, the four toed foot statue? C'mon...
Frankly, the entire show is "beyond absurd." But it's not reality; it's entertainment. Its value lies in its ability to suspend reality, which I believe it succeeds in doing, for the most part. My assertion is only another theory (no one here is privy to the writers' meetings, at least, I think). That seems to part of the shows purpose, to get people's talking about the show and get our imaginations going.

Yeah, they keep stringing us along with unanswered question after unanswered question. But would you have them reveal the entire plot in one season, or one episode? what good is that? Instant gratification doesn't work with storytelling... you either enjoy the story or you don't.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 28, 2006, 12:53 PM

I don't think the actual crash was planned, but I think the idea is that it was fate or destiny.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
A lot of you sound like people that never watched Alias. You're not going to get answers. You're only going to get more questions. Even when questions are answered, the reality of the question or the answer can later change due to the introduction of some perspective you weren't given before. If you can't take answerless questions, you're going to have to stop watching.

Of course, they bailed out on Alias after a few seasons because people that hadn't seen it before couldn't follow it.
Yeah, well, there's also that and the downward spiral that was Alias...plot twists that are either derivative or ridiculous and always border on the illogical/irrational, a lack of "payoff" when the same issues just keep coming back or popping up, and pure suspension of disbelief that just kept increasing with season number?

Maybe I'm just bitter at the last season. 17 episodes, and a regular-length finale?! Hahahaha, the ending may well win the prize for the worst 5-season finale in the history of television. Sigh. I sure hope Lost doesn't follow that particular path.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 07:50 PM

we don't have time to stop for gas

MacBook78
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 12:59 PM

Just some thoughts about that final episode and some of the details. Penny is related to one of the scientists that has been mentioned before - I beieve in the 2nd orientation video the name Widemore is mentioned. Not sure what to make of the statue with 4 toes, but that could be significant at some point. Sayid discovers that the others are putting on an act, so I am sure he will report back that they are an advanced society - not hillbillies. Penny says early on that finding anyone is easy if you have enough money - we also see her devotion to Desmond... the letter in his book. I am sure if anyone has read that book they can find some paralels in Lost.

As far as the plane crashing - I think we see that that was caused by no one pressing the button. I also think the importance of the hatch has been destroyed, they can now move onto another stroyline. Another small detail is what the two scientists in the arctic mentioned about missing the signal again - they must have been looking for sometime. I wouldn't be shocked if we were enlightened by the Others story and were made to feel sympathetic to their cause.

Joe

forkies
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 01:58 PM

sooooooooo, did no one watch s3e01?

season 3 thread!!

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2008, 10:18 PM

Okay - Only Less than two weeks to go before Season 4 begins!

Let the theories begin!

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
Okay - Only Less than two weeks to go before Season 4 begins!

Let the theories begin!
Writer's strike continues... see you at season 5!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2008, 11:27 AM

Ya, Lost cliffhangers are bad enough but will be even annoying with an incomplete season. I'll be holding off on watching season 4 until the production companies come to their senses and pay the writers what they deserve.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 04:33 PM

If we ever see Walt again, they might have to find another kid actor.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules