Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 13)
Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 02:04 PM

I walked into an EB/Gamestop causally as I happened to be in the mall and I was very disappointed with the lack of attention the employees gave to the Wii display. They had no sign up informing customers they could request the Wii-(re)mote and they didn't offer the nunchuck attachment. I even saw two fellas looking about the Wii and touching the screen because they didn't know how to control it or that they could ask for the controller.

Of course, as reported, they're asking for some personal item to hand over the Wii controllers. If you ask me, I really don't think that's a good tactic. I would have rather have the remote attached to the display with a long tether. I don't think the "I trust you not." attitude is very friendly or inviting.

Impressions of the Wii itself:

The Wii is small, compared to the other consoles. But when you're familiar with the Mac mini, I don't think it's much of a shock. It also looks good, but not quite as good as Apple design. And though Nintendo insists on displaying it vertically, I'm not sure that it wouldn't look better sitting horizontally. I also wonder how good it will look with a GameCube controller or two and a memory card attached.

The GameStop/EB people didn't bother explaining the controls. I had to look at the instruction manual for that. They had Excite truck on it, and it's played by holding the remote horizontally, but I don't think it's immediately clear which direction to point it, which is why right was left and left was right the first time I held it. Some guys couldn't figure out how to hold it/control it and left while another commented how it was "weird" and the PS3 would be better. Ugh!

It took a little while before I somewhat got the hang of the tilting controls, and honestly I can't say that I completely got the hang of it in the short while I played, but I did get progressively better. It wasn't as good of an experience as I had hoped for, unfortunately. I'm hoping to play a bit more at another, friendlier GameStop soon.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2006, 06:02 PM

EB/Gamestop has demo units in? I shall be stopping by one later today then.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2006, 06:05 PM

They do, but they don't all have controllers yet (or at least my local one didn't when I stopped by a couple of days back).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2006, 06:09 PM

Gamepot has a live stream of Wii gameplay going right now. No problems so far with the controls. Load times are quick.

Edit: Also the Zelda text scrolling speed is much faster. Takes about 1-2 seconds for a full block of text.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 06:22 PM

Excite truck hands on. Just like I thought, once you get over the motion control there isn't much else to it.

Wii Excite Truck Impressions - Kotaku

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Excite truck hands on. Just like I thought, once you get over the motion control there isn't much else to it.
So pretty much like every other racing game.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2006, 07:28 PM

I have very little interest in the game, but the idea of being able to play music off of an SD card is actually very cool. (And yes, the Xbox/360 can do basically the same thing, but being able to use an SD card should make it a bit easier to add your own music.)

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
So pretty much like every other racing game.
You consider Mario Cart and Burnout "like every other racing game"?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 07:39 PM

Wii Excite Truck Impressions - Kotaku
Yep, this one wasn't and won't be on my wish list. I would have rather been able to play Wii Sports instead of Excite truck.

I was able to go to another GameStop. I've gotten to know one of the main guys there and he lent me the controller without asking for any collateral, which I appreciated. I must have spent at least a full 20 minutes playing there (there were few people at the store and no one else interested in playing) and I was able to do better. It seems like you have to use the Wii-mote as a steering wheel, as if it were curved, even though it's rectangular. Still, I think that another game and maybe even some tweaking of the sensitivity/calibration on the sensor bar would have wielded a better experience.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
Still, I think that another game and maybe even some tweaking of the sensitivity/calibration on the sensor bar would have wielded a better experience.
It doesn't use it.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2006, 07:47 PM

You consider Mario Cart and Burnout "like every other racing game"?
Honestly I haven't played Burnout, and I love Mario kart(especial the DS version), but I'm just saying that in general, racing games are just about shaving seconds off your time once you've gotten a hold on the controls.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 09:13 PM

It doesn't use it.
Well then, one more reason it won't be on my wish list.

I still think I would have adjusted the sensor bar's sensitivity, because I found it actually too sensitive when I was controlling the cursor accessing the Wii menu.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
Honestly I haven't played Burnout, and I love Mario kart(especial the DS version), but I'm just saying that in general, racing games are just about shaving seconds off your time once you've gotten a hold on the controls.
Well of course. The important thing is the physics, the graphics, the level design, the multiplayer, sounds, models of cars, the fun of it all together.

Excite bike has nothing other than the new control method. A year from now nobody will want to admit they bought it.

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 12:43 AM

So sure are you? Just because you didn't have fun with it doesn't mean no one will.... Oh, right!

Excite Truck is the other game I plan on picking up first. Sounds like a good quick blast when I don't have time for Zelda.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
So sure are you? Just because you didn't have fun with it doesn't mean no one will.... Oh, right!

Excite Truck is the other game I plan on picking up first. Sounds like a good quick blast when I don't have time for Zelda.
'Course he does. .... it's got the "Nintendo" brand on it, and thats all he needs to know. havent you noticed ?

Excite truck is what im looking forward to the most after Zelda. Personally, im kinda tired of using a joystick to control my steering... I mean it's been that way for well over 10 years.... long time for that "gimmick" to last, dont you think ? time for something better if you ask me.

Cheers.

PS>for better visuals, physics, sound...ill just turn on ESPN.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2006, 09:40 PM

Tried the Wii tonight.

Two words: not impressed

The controls were VERY laggy and inaccurate. Beyond that, the control shakes a bit too much. Not diggin' it.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2006, 10:00 PM

Cool. so your not getting one, right ? Stick with the PSP, PS3 and XB360... i think you'll find your gaming fix there. Steer clear of the DS and the Wii....for everyone's sake.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2006, 10:23 PM

I wouldn't waste my money on something that doesn't work right. I'd turn the controller to steer and it takes like 1/2 second for the game to respond. What kind of BS is that?

I'm sure you'll find SOME way to apologize for Nintendo.

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 01:12 AM

Not at all. But given your known attitude toward Nintendo any comments made by you about them or their products deserve at the very least to be taken with an enormous grain of salt.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2006, 01:15 AM

Not at all. But given your known attitude toward Nintendo any comments made by you about them or their products deserve at the very least to be taken with an enormous grain of salt.
Really? Like what? Did I ever say they sucked? Or was I just being a cautious consumer?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 01:19 AM

Some people have "fun" farting in the bathtub.

So enjoy Excite Truck.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 02:48 AM

Hee hee...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 03:04 AM

So enjoy Excite Truck.
Some people like taking it up the pooper....

So enjoy, Gran Turisomo HD.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2006, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post

So totally uncalled for.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 09:32 AM

Come on now, guys. No need to get nasty. Different strokes for different folks. I also wouldn't blame anyone for being cautious and waiting or deciding that the Wii is not for them.

I was planning on getting quite a few accessories for the Wii, but I've pretty much settled on just getting the base system and going from there, depending on how it goes. My main concerns are the controls and I'm also hoping (though not expecting) that the classic controllers will work with GameCube games. If they don't I might opt for two wireless GameCube controllers instead.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 12:28 PM

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 12:36 PM

That was pretty lame.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2006, 12:38 PM

My main concerns are the controls and I'm also hoping (though not expecting) that the classic controllers will work with GameCube games.
It does but rumble doesn't work on N64 games for some reason.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 01:39 PM

It does but rumble doesn't work on N64 games for some reason.
Actually, unfortunately, Nintendo seems to have pretty much confirmed that the Classic controller does not work with GameCube games. Bummer. A significant disappointment for me. I prefer the Classic controller to the GameCube controller, and using GameCube controllers kind of takes away from the console's look. But oh well. I suppose that those of us without GameCubes will have to buy a pair of the system's controllers if we want to take advantage of older, cheaper GameCube games.

Take a look at this page. I quote:

Being as the Wii classic controller cannot be used to play GameCube games, will Nintendo continue to produce and sell GameCube controllers?

Nintendo: No plans have been announced to date. But Nintendo GameCube accessories are still available from all good retailers.
That's further enforced (as if that weren't enough) when you read this. Basically, it seems to suggest (to me, and other readers there) that the Wii boots into the GameCube's OS to play GameCube games, which render the Wii controls inoperative, thus the lack of functionality with the Classic controller.

BTW, the Classic controller doesn't support rumble because it has no force feedback functionality, apparently.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 01:56 PM

But we can play the Classics with the GC controller? What about actual Wii games that use the Classic controller? If we can use GC controllers for that, then what's the point of buying the Classic controller? I don't want to swap out a Classic for a GC controller if I want to play some GC games today, and then have to swap back because I want to play some N64 titles or a Wii game that uses only the Classic controller. That's stupid.
( Last edited by MindFad; Nov 12, 2006 at 05:05 PM. )

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
But we can play the Classics with the GC controller?
Yep, that seems to be the case. The Wii OS seems able to read GameCube controllers, but the GameCube OS (or mode, or whatnot) seems oblivious to all Wii-specific hardware/software/features. At least, that's what the current evidence points to.

[QUOTE=MindFad;3202726]What about actual Wii games that use the Classic controller? If we can use C controllers for that, then what's the point of buying the Classic controller?

I dunno. It's sexier, it's white, you might prefer the layout to the GC controller?

I don't want to swap out a Classic for a GC controller if I want to play some GC games today, and then have to swap back because I want to play some N64 titles or a Wii game that uses only the Classic controller. That's stupid.
I agree, thus my disappointment, specially since I prefer the Classic controller layout, and two wireless GC controllers would set me back $60-70, not including a memory card (assuming the conclusions are correct and the GC OS can't read/write or make use of the Wii's internal memory or SD slot).

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2006, 03:49 PM

If we can use C controllers for that, then what's the point of buying the Classic controller?
Yeah, that's exactly what I asked earlier. At this point, I don't see much point in the classic controller even existing, since the Gamecube controllers work with everything, and you can use a wavebird if you really want wireless.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 05:08 PM

What about actual Wii games that use the Classic controller? If we can use C controllers for that, then what's the point of buying the Classic controller?
I dunno. It's sexier, it's white, you might prefer the layout to the GC controller?
I agree. I think the Classic Controller looks awesome, but I still wish it would play GC games. Which is basically what it isā€”except with one extra Z button and minus the analog L and R buttons. Silly move here, Nintendo. Last thing consumers need is confusion about controllers when it comes to GC and the Classic one.

So wait, can we play Wii games with the GC controller, or is the extra Z button the deal-breaker for developers?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what I asked earlier. At this point, I don't see much point in the classic controller even existing, since the Gamecube controllers work with everything, and you can use a wavebird if you really want wireless.
This is what I'm considering at the moment. But I do like the Classic controller (layout and aesthetics) better.

Silly move here, Nintendo. Last thing consumers need is confusion about controllers when it comes to GC and the Classic one.

So wait, can we play Wii games with the GC controller, or is the extra Z button the deal-breaker for developers?
I've given some thought to this particular decision Nintendo has made and I've come to some ideas on why Nintendo did this. I don't think it has to do much with developer/technical issues. They could have simply worked around that by re-mapping some buttons/commands (as they're doing for other older games) or by simply giving the Classic controller the extra appropriate button(s).

I think it's to discourage the very thing I and other non-GameCube owning gamers are considering: Picking up cheap last-gen games to play on the Wii. Perhaps Nintendo views this as a threat to some Wii titles.-- Gamers might pick up two old GameCube titles rather than a new Wii game, for instance. And Nintendo obviously doesn't want that.

They want Wii owners to pick up and play Wii titles. The GameCube compatibility is for current GameCube owners, as an additional incentive to upgrade to the Wii. It's just a basic compatibility that GameCube owners will appreciate but that won't take advantage of almost any of the Wii features, including the Classic controller.

Additionally, Nintendo might not have felt it important enough to go through the work of enabling the Classic controller for GameCube games, which would have certainly meant extra coding.

There's also a chance that Nintendo might want to offer downloadable GameCube titles in the future which will utilize the Classic controller, so they're intentionally restricting this functionality for physical GameCube discs to encourage their price-controlled downloads and discourage the non-GameCube-owning Wii gamer from popping in a used/cheap GameCube title instead.

My "2Ā¢" anyway.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2006, 09:08 PM

I think it's to discourage the very thing I and other non-GameCube owning gamers are considering: Picking up cheap last-gen games to play on the Wii. Perhaps Nintendo views this as a threat to some Wii titles.-- Gamers might pick up two old GameCube titles rather than a new Wii game, for instance. And Nintendo obviously doesn't want that.
I don't think that makes any sense. Nintendo would not be upset if you bought Gamecube games to play on your Wii -- far from it. Sure, they want people to buy Wii games, but they're counting on the games being different enough from Gamecube games to make people want them. Either the information we have is wrong or there is some technical explanation for it.

The link below is kind of funny. This kind of practical joke would probably only work with the Wii since most people don't really have any idea what it's supposed to be like.

1UP editors: Wii got punk'd - Joystiq

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 11:51 PM

Well, this is Nintendo we're talking about. They're kinda new to this whole "back-wards compat-ih-bili-tee" thing.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 03:00 AM

So here is something for the whiners to consider.

They are complaining that the Wii control's are too laggy. However, if this is Excite Truck they are talking about, and not Zelda or Metroid Prime, they need to realize that the control scheme does not use IR. Instead it uses Bluetooth. What else uses Bluetooth? The PS3. So if you're complaining about Bluetooth lag issues on the Wii, you might be in the same boat on the PS3.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
So here is something for the whiners to consider.

They are complaining that the Wii control's are too laggy. However, if this is Excite Truck they are talking about, and not Zelda or Metroid Prime, they need to realize that the control scheme does not use IR. Instead it uses Bluetooth. What else uses Bluetooth? The PS3. So if you're complaining about Bluetooth lag issues on the Wii, you might be in the same boat on the PS3.
Uh, not if Sony did it RIGHT.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Uh, not if Sony did it RIGHT.
I see. They used magic dust to change the laws of physics to increase the transmission speeds of radio waves.

Nintendo must be too cheap for that magic dust.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 03:44 AM

I see. They used magic dust to change the laws of physics to increase the transmission speeds of radio waves.

Nintendo must be too cheap for that magic dust.
Your missing the point. the thing thats wrong with the Wii is that it's made by "Nintendo". The thing that maks the PlayStation 3 so awesome is that it's not.

PS>> A colleague of mine got to try out the Wii at a local event. He said he experienced no lag whatsoever(Wii-play), and the only thing he didnt like, was that the Wii-mote wasnt an actul "pointer" (line of sight)...but rather relative. similar to the way a mouse works....with same response times.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 03:49 AM

PS>> A colleague of mine got to try out the Wii at a local event. He said he experienced no lag whatsoever(Wii-play), and the only thing he didnt like, was that the Wii-mote wasnt an actul "pointer" (line of sight)...but rather relative. similar to the way a mouse works....with same response times.
I've heard the same thing, and watched a live play stream on Gamespot, and no one was having issues. It could be environmental, or it could be some gamers have more acute perception. I don't think that will stop the whining from the people who wanted to hate the Wii anyway. Not that we care.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 06:11 AM

I don't think that will stop the whining from the people who wanted to hate the Wii anyway. Not that we care.
I think thats what we're witnessing here. It's the same 2 people over and over again... they should just do everyone (including themselves) a favour and not buy any Nintendo products. that'll make everyone happy if u ask me.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 13, 2006 at 06:20 AM. )

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2006, 07:16 AM

In any case, the only thing the Wiimote actually uses IR for is the pointer functionality; it uses radio for actual control signals. Given this, I'm inclined to believe that the lag is nothing more than a placebo effect (anti-placebo effect?) for people who want the Wii's control scheme to fail. They want to see lag, and so they see it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
In any case, the only thing the Wiimote actually uses IR for is the pointer functionality; it uses radio for actual control signals. Given this, I'm inclined to believe that the lag is nothing more than a placebo effect (anti-placebo effect?) for people who want the Wii's control scheme to fail. They want to see lag, and so they see it.
Bullshit. I turned the wheel, nothing happened for half a second.

Gamasutra - Impressions: Does Zelda For Wii Shape Up?

At every venue within which the Wii has been displayed, a varying amount of controller lag has been evident. This has been particularly noticeable with regards to actions that require a game's motion sensing Wii remote. Zelda still exhibits this trait, and while it is noticeable and somewhat annoying, it simply remains unclear if this will be a problem in the living room.
( Last edited by starman; Nov 13, 2006 at 09:48 AM. )

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2006, 10:37 AM

you do know that in zelda, it is not a free for all swinging of the sword. there are set moves which you have to FINISH before the wii will make link do it....maybe people dont know that and they think of it as lag...

so to make link swing down, you have to finish the move with the wiimote before link will swing.

in terms of aiming withbteh arrows nd boomerang, thats all free-motion of course
blah

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2006, 10:45 AM

I'm just saying that I tried it for myself, whereas other people here haven't. I ran into GS and said "ok, hook me up" (I know the guys that work there). I really wanted to be blown away by this thing and the lag just killed it for me. $250 for lag? No.

Not to mention Excite Truck looks like ASS. Forget HD, this is crap. Total crap.

My one daughter discovered Crash Bandicoot 2 this weekend. I don't know how the hell you'd play a game like that with a Wii controller. All those quick start/stop/crouch/spin moves you have to do with an analog stick and buttons. It makes me worried about Mario.

I'm not sold on this new Wii thing.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
My one daughter discovered Crash Bandicoot 2 this weekend. I don't know how the hell you'd play a game like that with a Wii controller. All those quick start/stop/crouch/spin moves you have to do with an analog stick and buttons. It makes me worried about Mario.

I'm not sold on this new Wii thing.
then you apprently haven't seen the mario videos....where they use the analog stick and buttons.
blah

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 11:39 AM

I stop by EB in south Miami they had excite truck, was a good game and perfectly playable! Seems a lil repetitive in the long term though, worth around $40 IMO. I didn't notice any lag.

I got them to put in Wii Sports and Bowling was great fun and damn near perfectly accurate. <borat>Very Nice!</borat>

I was there around 1.5 hrs and was getting pretty darn good at bowling.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 11:40 AM

On IGN they said that if you have and LCD or any TV over 32 inches the Wii looks incredibly horrible with the supplied cables and you MUST use component if you want to see anything.

Also on Zelda the first 2 hours is supposed to be a bore.

"In short: sure, Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game that's had Wii controls bolted on it. In our time with the title so far, I remain unconvinced that the Wiimote is the correct controller for this game (the sword swinging still doesn't come naturally). But, like every Zelda game to date, Twilight Princess offers the same brilliant core gameplay mechanics that have driven the series for the last twenty years. Now, the series' dependence on those core gameplay mechanics is another complaint entirely, and one I'd be far more sympathetic too ... even if I wouldn't carry that mantle myself."

Nintendo's new Zelda most certainly doesn't fall flat - Joystiq

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 11:41 AM

I thought the start of both OoT & WW were a bore.

Or maybe I just hate the Deku Tree alot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules