Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mighty Mouse = User interface nightmare

Mighty Mouse = User interface nightmare (Page 13)
james9490  (op)
troll
Sep 20, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by xargos
Besides, anyone who claims that Windows is secure has never, ever, ever, been involved in supporting computers. You can put up to date anti-virus software, all patches, and a firewall in place and still have compromised machines. And if you haven't supported computers, you cannot speak for users in what they like for user interfaces.

Well, eat this article for your therapy:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/09/19/mac.security/

Even Symantec says I am right.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2005, 01:25 PM

Symantic? The same company who EOL'd all OS X products?

HA HA!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by james9490

Symantec sells security software.

"Even the umbrella salesman says it'll be a rainy summer in Southern California."

james9490  (op)
troll
Sep 20, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Symantec sells security software.

"Even the umbrella salesman says it'll be a rainy summer in Southern California."

Even the Apple salesman says Mac is better than PC.

xargos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 01:54 PM

Maybe you should read it, too. It does not say that Macs are less secure. Actually, seeing as how most software on Apple systems are capable of running perfectly in a non-administrator account. Anyone with some support experience under their belt knows that the same is not true about Windows applications. This is the primary reason that it is so very easy to infect Windows systems.

Besides, you're better off not listening to the person trying to sell you something to tell you what you need. Talk to the people who aren't first. And try things yourself.

And you think you're some kind of expert!

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 20, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by the mildly retarded james94whatever
"Start" means "Whatever you want to do with this computer starts here," and NOT "Start your computer." That makes perfect sense to most people but obviously you are so disillusioned that you don't get it. It means there is one reference point for all. You can teach a complete beginner and tell him/her to just click and browse the Start Menu. One place for all things. Simple. Easy.

“Whatever you want to do with this computer starts here“ - that really made my day. Thank you! I'm probably going to keep that one around. Very well said, indeed.

And yes, my client and I did have a good chuckle. What the heck would he (the client) know anyway - he's only the CTO of a company with 7000 employees, being responsible for nearly 5000 PCs in a dozen or so locations. Heck, I'll take your 20 years of experience over his preposterous doctorate any day.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2005, 02:32 PM

Even the Apple salesman says Mac is better than PC.
Even your mom says you're smart.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Sep 20, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Even your mom says you're smart.

She did not!?!!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by effgee

“Whatever you want to do with this computer starts here“ - that really made my day. Thank you! I'm probably going to keep that one around. Very well said, indeed.
Hilarious indeed.

I love my roomates Dell and how it has trouble loading the start menu if its not in the right mood.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2005, 05:28 PM

You mean there are computers out there that actually do anything when you click on the Start icon?

I thought it was just for decoration, and to let me know that “this is where the screen starts, if you begin in the bottom left corner”.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2005, 05:37 PM

"Start" means "Whatever you want to do with this computer starts here," and NOT "Start your computer."
Really? I suppose that make a twisted kind of sense, but "intuitive" is not the word I would use to describe it.
That makes perfect sense to most people but obviously you are so disillusioned that you don't get it.
Um... do you know what "disillusioned" means? I'll give you a hint: if you want to call me disillusioned, not only will I confess to it, I'll shout it from the rooftops.

HEY EVERYONE! JAMES SAID I'M DISILLUSIONED!
It means there is one reference point for all. You can teach a complete beginner and tell him/her to just click and browse the Start Menu. One place for all things. Simple. Easy.
Yep. Only one choice, only one way. Just how Microsoft likes, it, huh? Never mind that this is an interface principle they don't follow anywhere else in the OS.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2005, 07:15 PM

Several people in this thread have mentioned that Apple provides higher quality products. I am just going to prove you wrong by using an article from your very own web site:

------------
iTunes 5 for Windows plagued by bugs
Users of Apple's new iTunes 5 for Windows are reporting a number of major issues with the software. The widespread problems have been identified on Apple's official discussion forum. Apple has stated that it is aware of the problems, but has yet to provide solutions for affected users. Problems include: crashing during installation, loss of playlists, inexplicable duplication of songs, conflicts with other software, and issues with the iTunes Music Store. Lauren Weinstein, co-founder of People for Internet Responsibility, points out that rolling back to iTunes 4.9 "can be difficult or impossible, and Apple's lack of official recognition or public response regarding these problems is driving many users up the wall."
------------

This is going to be a HUGE blow for Apple. They can't even get a MP3 player to work right. This is EXACTLY why I've kept telling you Apple is NOT the computer company you would want to invest your money in.
Apple took exactly 12 days to address these HUGE issues for Windows users - in the iTunes 5.0.1 update, released today. All these users, unable to run their businesses because of the absolutely crucial issue of - well, duplicated entries in their music library. For almost two weeks.

That's terrible.

I'm switching to Microsoft and, erm, well...Windows Media Player? Music Match? Or something?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2005, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Really? I suppose that make a twisted kind of sense, but "intuitive" is not the word I would use to describe it.
I always thought it meant "Start a program," and Microsoft was just lazy enough to stick every other command in there as well.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2005, 10:52 PM

It means there is one reference point for all. You can teach a complete beginner and tell him/her to just click and browse the Start Menu. One place for all things. Simple. Easy.
Yeah... the start menu. easy. Riiiigght. OOOKay. As a seasoned (once) PC guy, I can tell you this, the start menu and systray are both abominations. One reference point for all? Not much good if that one reference point is poorly organized, is it? Thing about the Mac, it works just like the real world. You want to find something, look where you put it last. Duh?? On my PC its always like OH **** where is this stuff. Even if I know were it is, navigation is a bitch.

But with the OSX Finder it has never taken me more than 50-10 seconds to find my file or app and do with it what I intended to. Once again, my dear james, your opinion does not matter. Mine does. You know why? Because I have used BOTH platforms... over 10 years on PC. I used to be convinced that the Mac sucked. (The truth came to me when I grew an interest in digital art...) You on the other hand have not used both platforms, and are just parroting canned arguments made by people equally uninformed and far from objective as you.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Forum Links
Forum Rules