Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks !

OmniWeb 4.1 SneakyPeeks ! (Page 13)
cpac
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
<STRONG>okay...i am not surer what is going on there....but if you look in the "archive" folder you'll find sp48 in there now.....</STRONG>
And now there's sp 49... I'd watch out if you got 48 running -they only replace 'em that fast if there's a big problem usually...

cpac
cpac

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 01:36 AM

yup...must have been something wrong 'cause sp49 is there now.....just d/l now.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
<STRONG>

And now there's sp 49... I'd watch out if you got 48 running -they only replace 'em that fast if there's a big problem usually...

cpac</STRONG>
well, in the 30 minutes or so i ran sp48 it didn't crash, but regardless, i'm up to sp49 now...you're right there was probably *something* bad in there.

davidb224
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2002, 02:35 AM

I have a feeling that the Java 1.3.1 update that came out yesterday has had an effect on the operation of OW 4.1. Anyone see anything that indicates that OW 4.1 has been enhanced by the Java update? (I have sp49).
davidb

<zeligprod>
Feb 27, 2002, 07:06 AM

Has anybody experienced crashes on quit?
Since DP39, Omniweb has crashed every single time on quit.
I trashed the pref file, but the problem stays.

Any ideas?

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by davidb224:
<STRONG>I have a feeling that the Java 1.3.1 update that came out yesterday has had an effect on the operation of OW 4.1. Anyone see anything that indicates that OW 4.1 has been enhanced by the Java update? (I have sp49).</STRONG>
yes, the bbc news page now correctly displays the java applet at the top without it scrolling out of the bounds of the window. Java still takes a hell of a long time to start up though, the same page in IE loads almost instantly.

Whilst we're comparing to IE, scrolling speed has GOT to be improved, in OW its just appalling at the moment, IE is liquid smooth, yet OW is almost unbearable.

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 08:31 AM

can I just say one thing: antialiasing!

I find small type terribly blurry in OW, I doubt that there is much that could be done to improve this, even Photoshop cant make 10pixel type look good when antialiased, so I switch OWs antialiasing off above a certain level, but then it cant kern the type properly and looks even worse.

Every other browser on OSX can manage this properly, granted none of them can do the whole antialising thing all that well, but they can all display non-antialised type nice and crisp and kerned properly.

Please, Please, Please sort this out Omni, I really like OW, but it gives me a headache at the moment and is ruining my eyesight.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 09:59 AM

SP 48 was pretty crash-prone on my machine. So far, no crashes with SP 49.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by shortcipher:
<STRONG>can I just say one thing: antialiasing!

I find small type terribly blurry in OW, I doubt that there is much that could be done to improve this, even Photoshop cant make 10pixel type look good when antialiased, so I switch OWs antialiasing off above a certain level, but then it cant kern the type properly and looks even worse.

Every other browser on OSX can manage this properly, granted none of them can do the whole antialising thing all that well, but they can all display non-antialised type nice and crisp and kerned properly.

Please, Please, Please sort this out Omni, I really like OW, but it gives me a headache at the moment and is ruining my eyesight.</STRONG>
Have you simply tried using a different font that kerns better when it isn't anti-aliased?

FWIW, this isn't an Omni issue as the font-rendering is down to the OS, not anything Omni does. Btw, OW is a Cocoa app and all other browsers are Carbon ports which render fonts differently to Cocoa apps. This is also the reason why scrolling is different between OW and IE/other carbon browsers.

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: JKT ]

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 11:05 AM

Java applets still have an unfortunate behaviour when the page that contains them is scrolled.

see here (32k image)

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Diggory Laycock ]
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2002, 11:53 AM

What a lousy way to find out Spike Milligan died

The rollovers on my homepage work some of the time now, though. Progress is progress.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 12:14 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting proper support for the border attribute in CSS.

Right now, <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>p { border: 0em 10em }</font>[/code] basically guarantees that the paragraph's right margin is 10em past the window's right edge, which is not desirable behavior.
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>What a lousy way to find out Spike Milligan died </STRONG>
Damn, just happened to me too...

"Balls"

Ken at Omni
Feb 27, 2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Amorph:
<STRONG>Right now, (turning on 10em horizontal borders) basically guarantees that the paragraph's right margin is 10em past the window's right edge, which is not desirable behavior. </STRONG>
In my trivial test case, it doesn't do this in sp49. Are you using a different release, or can you point me at a test case where it doesn't work in sp49?

Thanks!

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Ken at Omni ]

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Ken at Omni:
<STRONG>

In my trivial test case, it doesn't do this in sp49. Are you using a different release, or can you point me at a test case where it doesn't work in sp49?

Thanks!

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Ken at Omni ]</STRONG>
Not related to the above, but something weird in 49 just happened. I had like 5 windows open, 4 in the foreground and one in the background (not sure how) I closed all 4 and the menubar wouldn't respond (no menus worked) Then I clicked on the icon in the dock and the 5th window came to the foreground and loaded my home page. Menu bar still wouldn't respond. So I had to quit and relaunch, then everything worked correctly.

Not sure what that was, but with multiple windows opened and closing them all, or with the one not shown in the background, but the menu bar stopped responding and the (all) windows remained transparent.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Calli46
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2002, 06:44 PM

While using OW sp47 (old friend o'mine) to download 2 big files at a time, I happened to witness a hair rising experience.

The story : seeing on MacNN that MandrakeLinux had a new beta of Mandrake 8.2, I went ahead to download two 650 MB files together and left for diner. On coming back an hour later, I found my screensaver acting strangely : in fact, it was not acting at all!!! Frozen like our Canadian lakes up here...
But I could hear the comp' churning up some files. I tried to get to the Terminal and after a few seconds it got up and running... I was still hearing very fast numerous disks accesses, like OS X was thrashing, so I fired Top on the Terminal. Guess what I found ? OW was loading in virtual memory the 2 files I was downloading. VM for OW was up to 1.3GB. I have 1GB of RAM and had just started to see swapping from my system. I was eager to watch what would happen next, when the files finish downloading. About 20 minutes later, end of the horror story : OW copied the downloaded files from memory and swap area to disk and virtual memory usage for OW came back to 133 MB, about normal.

Now, is this, I mean using all VM, even going to swapping memory in/out a "decent" behavior when downloading a file ? At some point during the download, should'nt OW write the data to disk ? Did some of you experiment the same trauma before ? And, is this a "feature" or a bug ?

Just curious...
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2002, 06:47 PM

4.1sp49 and it is faster using dsl to NOT start loading pages before it is done.

I've had about one crash with each of the last 3 SP posted now.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2002, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Gregory:
<STRONG>4.1sp49 and it is faster using dsl to NOT start loading pages before it is done.

I've had about one crash with each of the last 3 SP posted now.</STRONG>
I have a cable modem and I turned off this option a few builds ago as well and found that OW seems to load faster this way. It seems pretty counter-intuitive that it would be faster this way. I suppose it can download a page and display that completely downloadedpage faster than it can download and display at the same time. Since OW is multi-threaded one would think this wouldn't be the case ... unless the "download" function and the "page rendering" function utilize the same thread?

OAW

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 11:53 PM

hmmmm.....4 crashes today with sp49, last one just moments ago....relaunched and checked....sp50 now! wow....50 sneakypeeks!

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by pobodysnerfect:
<STRONG>well I personally have been having VERY few problems with all the SP's up to and including the latest sp50. The one and only thing that keeps me from using OW fulltime is on the Bank of America site I cannot log into online banking. it lets me put in my account info but then just sends me back to the same page, over and over again. Anybody else experiencing this? Other then that OW is the best damn browser I have ever used on any platform period. Keep up the good work guys! </STRONG>

Yeah, I can't use Omniweb with www.wachovia.com either. No biggie. OW is fast becoming my browser of choice now that it is almost as fast as Mozilla.

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2002, 02:07 AM

well I personally have been having VERY few problems with all the SP's up to and including the latest sp50. The one and only thing that keeps me from using OW fulltime is on the Bank of America site I cannot log into online banking. it lets me put in my account info but then just sends me back to the same page, over and over again. Anybody else experiencing this? Other then that OW is the best damn browser I have ever used on any platform period. Keep up the good work guys!

strepidus
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2002, 02:12 AM

Now, is this, I mean using all VM, even going to swapping memory in/out a "decent" behavior when downloading a file ? At some point during the download, should'nt OW write the data to disk ? Did some of you experiment the same trauma before ? And, is this a "feature" or a bug ?
I'd definitely consider it a horrendous bug. I always have a memory usage meter in my dock, and it's annoying to see it just keep rising and rising when I'm using OW, until it hits the top and then the disk starts churning...which is part of the reason why I'm posting from Mozilla right now.

The other reason is that I noticed my "HistoryIndex.ox" file grew to over 3 GB (at first I was really freaked why my HD was losing space so fast!), which was a bug that I thought was fixed many SP's ago. Maybe it just popped up in SP49 and is gone in SP50. But right now, Mozilla definitely seems more stable/safe to me.

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2002, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by strepidus:
<STRONG>

I'd definitely consider it a horrendous bug. I always have a memory usage meter in my dock, and it's annoying to see it just keep rising and rising when I'm using OW, until it hits the top and then the disk starts churning...which is part of the reason why I'm posting from Mozilla right now.

The other reason is that I noticed my "HistoryIndex.ox" file grew to over 3 GB (at first I was really freaked why my HD was losing space so fast!), which was a bug that I thought was fixed many SP's ago. Maybe it just popped up in SP49 and is gone in SP50. But right now, Mozilla definitely seems more stable/safe to me.</STRONG>
Hmm, my history index file is only 708KB, and I've been using OmniWeb 4.1 since sneaky peek 1. As far as Bank of America, I've been able to log-in to their service since around sneaky peek 10 or so. I just accessed their site now in sneaky peek 50 as a matter of fact. Oh, and by the way--good tip for disabling the draw pages before they finish loading option in the display preferences for broadband users. Browsing pages is much faster with that disabled. The last couple of sneaky peeks have been somewhat crash prone for me, but it has only been 1 crash per day at most, and of course I'm only using these builds for about a day anyway.

Neo.cmg

<dj640>
Feb 28, 2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by pobodysnerfect:
<STRONG>. The one and only thing that keeps me from using OW fulltime is on the Bank of America site I cannot log into online banking. it lets me put in my account info but then just sends me back to the same page, over and over again. Anybody else experiencing this? </STRONG>
I also use BOA, and don't have any problems connecting.
You have to set your "Browser Compatibility"(omniweb preferences) to a Browser that BOA accepts,
such as, "IE 5.1" or "Netscape 4.75/6.1".

dj

iKent
Feb 28, 2002, 10:52 AM

I continue to have problems using the Wachovia on-line banking site with OW. I've tried changing the compatibility settings, but that hasn't worked. This is the only issue that prevents me from throwing away IE and buying a license.

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2002, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by JKT:
<STRONG>

Have you simply tried using a different font that kerns better when it isn't anti-aliased?

FWIW, this isn't an Omni issue as the font-rendering is down to the OS, not anything Omni does. Btw, OW is a Cocoa app and all other browsers are Carbon ports which render fonts differently to Cocoa apps. This is also the reason why scrolling is different between OW and IE/other carbon browsers.

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: JKT ]</STRONG>
well I think it is an Omniweb issue, if I swtich off antialiasing in system preferences and then type out lots of text in stickes or textedit set to 11px Verdana, it looks perfect!, OW simply doesnt do the same thing, so dont try telling me its a cocoa/carbon issue, and even if it was, thats no excuse.

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by &lt;dj640&gt;:
<STRONG>I also use BOA, and don't have any problems connecting.</STRONG>
I also use BOA, and I don't have any problems _connecting_ either. BUT I DO have problems with OmniWeb's miss-interpretation of the action of several 'buttons' once I am connected. For example, the button to refresh an account, after changing the statment period, actually performs the function of a different button which leads to a download page

asxless in iLand

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by &lt;dj640&gt;:
<STRONG>

I also use BOA, and don't have any problems connecting.
You have to set your "Browser Compatibility"(omniweb preferences) to a Browser that BOA accepts,
such as, "IE 5.1" or "Netscape 4.75/6.1".

dj</STRONG>
I have my compatibility preferences set to OmniWeb, and things still work as they should for me in OmniWeb.

Neo.cmg

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2002, 02:50 PM

hmmm, well I tried setting my browser to every version of Netscape and IE and no luck with BOA. Yes I did quit OW and restart after each change but I still cannot log on. Oh well, I guess I will just hope one of the other SP's or even 4.1 final will work for me, cuz I would love to ditch IE...

Rex
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2002, 03:39 PM

I can log-in to my BOA account with preferences set to OW, IE or NS, my Chevy Chase account by the way only recognizes IE or NS.

Rex
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2002, 03:42 PM

BTW, since we reached SP50, why don't we start a new thread? This one is getting BIG!
iNeusch, since you were the one who started this, you should officially make the call!

<BlackGriffen>
Feb 28, 2002, 06:46 PM

I'm using sp 47, and I'd like to make a minor feature/bug fix request. When I tab in to or select a text field, the browser should scroll so that the whole field is displayed. As it stands right now, OW doesn't do that. Please add this feature.

Also, while I'm at it, when I'm done editing a text field I click somewhere outside it to bring the focus back out so I can scroll. Currently, the focus is brought back out only if I click on an area with text in it. Please make the entire web page clickable for this purpose; that is, if it's possible.

Thanx
BlackGriffen

HeyAndy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2002, 08:37 PM

sorry if this has been covered already, it's a bit hard to stay on top of this mammoth thread...
I'm creating a page that relies on the javascript "onClick" operator to have a click on a thumbnail update the main gallery image. Works fine in IE, but OmniWeb quickly reverts to the pages original state. See it for yourself here: http://www.heyandy.net

Is this a bug that I can hope will be fixed (I can't have my page not display in my favorite browser) or just two browsers demonstrating differing interpretations of javascript?

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: HeyAndy ]

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2002, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Ken at Omni:
<STRONG>

Thanks!

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: Ken at Omni ]</STRONG>
Thanks for replying.

I updated to sp50, but I re-downloaded sp49 and now I can't reproduce it. (This is why I don't sign up as a beta tester... :o ) OW now ignores border altogether in p.notice {border: 0em 10em}, which at least is less objectionable. Would it change OW's behavior to have sp49 and sp50 running at once?

Thanks for any help you can provide, and thanks for OmniWeb!
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2002, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by HeyAndy:
<STRONG>Works fine in IE, but OmniWeb quickly reverts to the pages original state. See it for yourself here: http://www.heyandy.net
[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: HeyAndy ]</STRONG>
Odd. But if you double-click, then hit the back button, it shows properly. Strange.

Hudson
Mar 1, 2002, 12:06 AM

Request for some feedback:

When clicking on the last poster's name for any thread in the main forum menu, I no longer get taken to the last post in that thread. It just loads the current page for that thread and then stays at the top of the page. This is with SP50. I'm almost certain that this worked correctly until recently (how recently, I'm not sure). Is this working for others which would indicate it's a problem central to my setup? Thanks in advance.

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2002, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by HeyAndy:
<STRONG>sorry if this has been covered already, it's a bit hard to stay on top of this mammoth thread...
I'm creating a page that relies on the javascript "onClick" operator to have a click on a thumbnail update the main gallery image. Works fine in IE, but OmniWeb quickly reverts to the pages original state. See it for yourself here: http://www.heyandy.net

Is this a bug that I can hope will be fixed (I can't have my page not display in my favorite browser) or just two browsers demonstrating differing interpretations of javascript?

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: HeyAndy ]</STRONG>
It's no big deal - Omniweb is doing EXACTLY as you asked. It performs the OnClick Javascript (updating your image) then opening up the URL you've specified in your href (in this case '#' or this page). So Omniweb proceeds to load the link - ruining th effect somewhat

Wherever you have this written:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>ONCLICK=<font color = red>"changeImages('main_06', 'images/main_06-main_07_click.jpg');"</font></font>[/code]

replace it with this

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>ONCLICK=<font color = red>"changeImages('main_06', 'images/main_06-main_07_click.jpg'); return false"</font></font>[/code]

This just cuts off Omniweb (and other browers like Netscape and Mozilla) from performing the A HREF link.

Anyways... back on topic... Omniweb seems to be understanding a LOT more DHTML than it did before! Is this a result of the Javascript engine or better understanding of CSS?
Computer thez nohhh...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2002, 06:54 AM

One thing that has annoyed me for a long time when reading the fora:

Anchored links are not the same thing as page links.
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...&f=46&t=004173

is not the same thing as
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...=004173#000033

In Omniweb, if I click on the former, the latter is marked "read" and changes color. It shouldn't. The other way round, it should and does.

What's annoying about this is that in places like these fora, not only the thread I'm keeping track of will be marked "read" (obviously), but also whatever happens to be the latest post. Meaning I have to *remember* which was the last post I read on a subject, or when I read it.

-spheric*

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2002, 09:37 AM

Here is what the download location was before I moved home directory (using terminal command):

/Users/username/Downloads

Fine.

But it doesn't use a "relative" path but rather hard coded. So moving /Users to another volume the new path looks like this:

/Volumes/volumename/Users/username/Downloads

My question: shouldn't OmniWeb (4.1sp50) "follow" the symbolic link?

Rex
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2002, 10:25 AM

Has anyone noticed that SP50 uses a lot more CPU (often up to 90%) than previous versions? Is this a fact? If so, why?

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2002, 06:03 PM

OW SP 50 hits 90-100% cpu!!??

I thought I must have done something stupid like running setiathome from terminal instead of console -- something eating away... so I spent a full day reloading from backups off-line. And now I keep watching cpu usage and there seems to be something causing way too many 50% and sometimes 90 and once it showed 100%!! It's back.

Had it in SP49 and now SP50.
Something amiss. Can't even keep up with typing a reply.

I had some web pages loading waiting for me to accept/reject cookies (keep 'em in the background - don't bring windows to front please). I was moving bookmarks around when a pdf download launched Acrobat and got in the way of dragging those bookmarks onto the bookmark pane.

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 07:35 PM

<STRONG>OW SP 50 hits 90-100% cpu!!??
Had it in SP49 and now SP50.
Something amiss. Can't even keep up with typing a reply.
</STRONG>
That's extreme - sp50 (& 49 before it) don't do that on my TiBook/500/512/10.1.3

That's with pretty heavy surfing (lots of online law research on westlaw + MacNN forums, & other mac sites)

I do quit OW fairly regularly so maybe that's keeping it from ballooning...?

cpac
cpac

asxless
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 08:10 PM

<STRONG>OW SP 50 hits 90-100% cpu!!??</STRONG>
On my TiBook(500), OmniWeb usually pegs the CPU for a few seconds while downloading and rendering a large/complex page but then drops back down to around 5% unless I have a dialog (e.g. Find) active. The throbbing default button will pull an additional 10-15% which makes total CPU vary between 15-20%. This has NOT changed with SP 49 or 50.

asxless in iLand

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2002, 08:32 PM

has anyone else been noticing worse memory leaks in 49&50? I just had OW bring my system to it's knees by eating up 1.35 gigs of RAM.

Also, what is the preferred email to submit bugs/comments to Omnigroup?
don't feel like searching all 13 pages for it...

[email protected]
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 09:08 PM

For the first time I find OW unusable in its current form. I've been loyal to OW since the early sp days but now I don't find it enjoyable. For this reason:

Scrolling with the mouse wheel is horrendous in sp50. Up to sp48 it was always great. I could scroll and follow the page with my eyes easily. As If I was just reading a paper. Now it's incredibly jerky. I don't mean slow, but it scrolls too fast(?). I'm not sure I'm describing it correctly. It reminds me of scrolling in an early windows browser.

Unfortunately, this is renders the experience in OW unbearable. Some of you may be quick to point out that this is minor, but it is not. Browsing the web comes down to being able to see the information you choose. If the experience is not pleasant, then the browser is bad.

I sincerely hope that the competent folks at Omni will consider this a bug, and not a feature.

Sadly, I'm back with IE for now....
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 09:46 PM

<STRONG>OW SP 50 hits 90-100% cpu!!??</STRONG>

Some people really have no idea how process management works. Guess what? On my duallie, OmniWeb will spike to 150% or more when rendering a page. This is a Good Thing! Repeat after me, now: an app using up most of a processor is okay in OSX and any other OS for that matter. Do you really want half of your processor to go unused to some reason? If CPU time is available, things like HTML rendering should take as much possible.

*shrug*
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Len at Omni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2002, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by Brazuca:
<STRONG>For the first time I find OW unusable in its current form. I've been loyal to OW since the early sp days but now I don't find it enjoyable. For this reason:

Scrolling with the mouse wheel is horrendous in sp50. Up to sp48 it was always great. I could scroll and follow the page with my eyes easily. As If I was just reading a paper. Now it's incredibly jerky. I don't mean slow, but it scrolls too fast(?). I'm not sure I'm describing it correctly. It reminds me of scrolling in an early windows browser.

Unfortunately, this is renders the experience in OW unbearable. Some of you may be quick to point out that this is minor, but it is not. Browsing the web comes down to being able to see the information you choose. If the experience is not pleasant, then the browser is bad.

I sincerely hope that the competent folks at Omni will consider this a bug, and not a feature.

Sadly, I'm back with IE for now.... </STRONG>
If you check the release notes for SP 50, you will see that we are now 'accelerating' the mouse wheel. A single scroll 'click' will move you the same as before, but several close together move you farther than before.

We found the behavior to be quite easy to get used to and really nice for those long forum pages. We are still tuning the behavior tho and even looking at adding in smooth scrolling as well.

However, if we get a lot of negative feedback, I'm sure we'll put in a preference or something.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2002, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Len at Omni:
<STRONG>

If you check the release notes for SP 50, you will see that we are now 'accelerating' the mouse wheel. A single scroll 'click' will move you the same as before, but several close together move you farther than before.

We found the behavior to be quite easy to get used to and really nice for those long forum pages. We are still tuning the behavior tho and even looking at adding in smooth scrolling as well.

However, if we get a lot of negative feedback, I'm sure we'll put in a preference or something.</STRONG>
I was just about to post about how annoying this was. I was scrolling resexcellence and a slight scroll sent me clear down the page. What you guys may have missed is a lot of us have turbo mouse, USBoverdrive or some form of speed increase on our mice. So your added increase means that there is too much increasing going on and our pages are flying out of control
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2002, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>I was just about to post about how annoying this was. I was scrolling resexcellence and a slight scroll sent me clear down the page. What you guys may have missed is a lot of us have turbo mouse, USBoverdrive or some form of speed increase on our mice. So your added increase means that there is too much increasing going on and our pages are flying out of control </STRONG>
If you scroll without pressing it, it will still scroll like normal but when you scroll two or more at same time, OmniWeb will increase the scroll speed. If you disable USB Overdrive X and you'll see why its better. I have USB Overdrive X too and I can still scroll fine.

Len, please do add smooth scroll like those in Opera X! It's so beautiful and easy to read! Will it be for 4.1 or do I have to wait till 5.0?

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2002, 03:26 AM

whilst using the past few 'sneaky peek' releases i've noticed that the photo-window does not display/load the photo from apple/itools photo albums.

i was wanting to take a look at the winning photographs in apple's iphoto competition this afternoon and the photographs just refused to display in the pop-up window.

anyone else having a similar problem?

i had to resort to loading up internet explorer to view them, and believe me it was a hard thing to do

cheers,

Forum Links
Forum Rules