Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 14)
RonnieoftheRose
Mar 28, 2005, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Just about anyone who sells games or a PSP. Not the local flower shops.
But I heard flower stems transfer data across them at 2 GB/s?

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
But I heard flower stems transfer data across them at 2 GB/s?
Only with the new Osmosis card.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2005, 02:10 PM

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 04:48 PM

FYI the USB port on the PSP is the same as the port on a Nikon D70, so if you have a cable for a D70 it will work for the PSP.

Hey head of c3p0 guy, are you sure they hacked a browser from ridge racers? do you have a link? 'cause i have ridge racers and not wipeout... I had only seen hacked browsers from wipeout. (or did i misunderstand you?)

My PSP is on its way to the Playstation Exchange Center in texas right now to be replaced due to stuck pixels... I will be PSP-less for 7 to 10 days. It's gonna kill me.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Hey head of c3p0 guy, are you sure they hacked a browser from ridge racers? do you have a link? 'cause i have ridge racers and not wipeout... I had only seen hacked browsers from wipeout. (or did i misunderstand you?)
Actually it is wipeout, sorry.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 04:54 PM

Actually it is wipeout, sorry.
damn. you got my hopes up

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2005, 05:52 PM

Thw nullriver thing seems to work, however the PSP takes around 20 tries to connect up to my G4 running X.3.2

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 28, 2005, 07:01 PM

Bought the USB cable. $30 ****ing dollars because the only one they had was a gold plated one. PSPWare works well for synching photos and music but a video I tried to convert didn't quite synch or convert properly at all. It actually locked the PSP when I tried to play it. That needs working on. Dragging photos to the PSP results in corrupt data, which might have something to do with .DS files. Otherwise mounting is immediate and synching is very fast over USB 2.0. With a USB 1.1 machine there are some problems with erratic behavior, ie. PSPWare freezes.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2005, 07:35 PM

The only time my files were corrupted was when I failed to eject the PSP in Finder.

The PSPWare should eject it automatically but if you are doing stuff manually: Remember to eject.

When dealing with pics make sure you have a folder named "Photo" in your "PSP" folder.

Place your pics in the folder "Photo".
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 28, 2005, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
The only time my files were corrupted was when I failed to eject the PSP in Finder.

The PSPWare should eject it automatically but if you are doing stuff manually: Remember to eject.

When dealing with pics make sure you have a folder named "Photo" in your "PSP" folder.

Place your pics in the folder "Photo".
The folders are created by the PSP so that's not the problem. I did everything correctly. Some images were corrupt and others weren't. PSPWare did a perfect job though. Don't bother with iPSP. Damn software keeps coming up with shareware messages and the GUI is corrupt. Neither of them can convert the Divx avi video I tried. I'm not going to use it for mpeg4 playback until the memory sticks come down in price and increase capacity.

Right now I'll take a break from the PSP. I played Ridge Racer so much yesterday that when I tried to go to sleep I kept seeing roads coming towards me!

Has anyone tried to hook up a USB keyboard to it with a male-female connector (the extender that comes with Power Macs and Apple keyboards) to see if keyboard entry is already coded in?

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2005, 08:52 PM

Bought the USB cable. $30 ****ing dollars because the only one they had was a gold plated one. PSPWare works well for synching photos and music but a video I tried to convert didn't quite synch or convert properly at all. It actually locked the PSP when I tried to play it. That needs working on. Dragging photos to the PSP results in corrupt data, which might have something to do with .DS files. Otherwise mounting is immediate and synching is very fast over USB 2.0. With a USB 1.1 machine there are some problems with erratic behavior, ie. PSPWare freezes.
$30 Big 'uns for a pimped out USB cable? Ouch.

Missed that part. I was lucky I have like 10 of those things. Problem is I do not know where most of them are. 'Cept one. I used my USB 2.0 cable that came with a card reader that was included in a CF card I purchased.

I haven't tried transferring video yet. Picture transferring is bad ass. I like the controls.

All I need to get is a 512 MB card or 1GB (when they cost le$$).

People ask me about this machine all the time. They are very impressed with its capabilities. These are people who do not game or used to. Many have bought some and others are contemplating it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 04:05 AM

Since this thread is about the PSP... http://psp.ign.com/articles/599/599156p1.html (very amusing lol).

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2005, 09:24 AM

When I use PSPware to transfer the videos, the sound plays normal, but the video plays at double the rate.

Holy carp!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Since this thread is about the PSP... http://psp.ign.com/articles/599/599156p1.html (very amusing lol).
I was wondering how long that would take you. I don't even care to guess how many endorphins you released posting that.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 10:27 AM

The article is from the 25th. I'm sure a "few" more have been sold over the weekend.

I tried to get a few for some friends.

All sold out at all the retailers I called here in L.A.

I'm sure there are quite a few places here that do stock them but I couldn't find them.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Sandbaggins:
The article is from the 25th. I'm sure a "few" more have been sold over the weekend.

I tried to get a few for some friends.

All sold out at all the retailers I called here in L.A.

I'm sure there are quite a few places here that do stock them but I couldn't find them.
It sold out of most places I checked as well. It is hardly accurate to check one store that have many and others that have none. We have to wait for the numbers to come in. In Japan the PSP has sold many more units than the DS which has been out longer.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 12:07 PM

The Best Buy where I bought my PSP sold out over the weekend.

After playing it for the last 4 days, here are my thoughts:

The PSP is cool, but definitely not worth $250. Luckily I had $150 is Best Buy gift cards that I used towards the PSP. I would have never bought it if I had to pay full price. Waiting for the games to load sucks. At first you deal with it because of the euphoria of having a new toy, but after awhile reality sets you and it gets really annoying. The PSP is gorgeous, but it's shiny plastic attracts scratches and dirt like a magnet. If you breath on it wrong, it gets scratched. The PSP has so much potential, but until Sony lowers the price and we see more games/movies, I will just remain a rich man's toy.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
The PSP has so much potential, but until Sony lowers the price and we see more games/movies, I will just remain a rich man's toy.
Rich man's toy? I mean it is less than the PS2 was at launch and we saw how well that sold. It isn't that much more than the DS and you get 10x more with it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 12:35 PM

Rich man's toy? I mean it is less than the PS2 was at launch and we saw how well that sold. It isn't that much more than the DS and you get 10x more with it.
I've had 6 friends tell me they would get one if it was cheaper.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 12:41 PM

Everyone says the same thing when a new Mac comes out also. And then they sell like hotcakes.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 29, 2005, 01:47 PM

I will just remain a rich man's toy.
Does that lifestyle come with television?

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2005, 01:53 PM

If my 13 year old nephew can save up enough money to buy one, anyone can.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 02:35 PM

The Best Buy where I bought my PSP sold out over the weekend.

The PSP is cool, but definitely not worth $250. Luckily I had $150 is Best Buy gift cards that I used towards the PSP. I would have never bought it if I had to pay full price. Waiting for the games to load sucks. At first you deal with it because of the euphoria of having a new toy, but after awhile reality sets you and it gets really annoying. The PSP is gorgeous, but it's shiny plastic attracts scratches and dirt like a magnet. If you breath on it wrong, it gets scratched. The PSP has so much potential, but until Sony lowers the price and we see more games/movies, I will just remain a rich man's toy.
Did you say this in 11/2001?

"The Best Buy where I bought my iPod sold out over the weekend.

The iPod is cool, but definitely not worth $400. Luckily I had $150 is Best Buy gift cards that I used towards the iPod. I would have never bought it if I had to pay full price. Waiting for the music to load sucks. At first you deal with it because of the euphoria of having a new toy, but after awhile reality sets you and it gets really annoying. The iPod is gorgeous, but it's shiny plastic attracts scratches and dirt like a magnet. If you breath on it wrong, it gets scratched. The iPod has so much potential, but until Apple lowers the price, I will just remain a rich man's toy."

Not to belittle your comments, but these sorts of complaints often have next to no bearing on how well this kind of product does in the marketplace. The same complaints were levied against the original PSX, the iPod, and other market dominating products.

Here are some of the most important indicators I've observed regarding PSP's potential:

(1) Every gamer I've showed mine to immediately wanted one
(2) Many non-gamers I've showed mine to immediately wanted one
(3) The upcoming software lineup looks very strong
(4) There is a quality title for almost everyone in the launch lineup
(5) There is no comparable product in the market

Yes people think the price is currently high, but prices tend to drop over time. Anyway, sorry if this post came across as combative, it's just that at this point in the PSP's lifecycle, I don't think some of those complaints are particularly relevant. It's early yet.
( Last edited by itai195; Mar 29, 2005 at 02:45 PM. )

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2005, 02:40 PM

If I remember correctly my 1st gen 5 gig ipod was 399 and all it did was play music....the PSP has a lot of potential. By Christmas I bet the price will be down to 199...and the "classic" games will be down to 29.99...

All the little kiddies will be crying for mom & dad to buy them a psp..

it will be interesting to watch what takes place. I don't think this is going to be a dud product..
Joe

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
With GTA and GT coming up for the system I would say so ya.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 02:51 PM

It sold out of most places I checked as well. It is hardly accurate to check one store that have many and others that have none. We have to wait for the numbers to come in. In Japan the PSP has sold many more units than the DS which has been out longer.

If anyone wants to buy one and can't find it, I have two and am willing to let one go for the retail price of $250. It's in an unopened box. PM me if interested. Bought myself one and ended up getting one as a gift.

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 29, 2005, 03:10 PM

I was looking at some screenshots for Ridge Racer on the DS and couldn't help but laugh.

DS.

( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Mar 29, 2005 at 03:18 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 03:30 PM

I was looking at some screenshots for Ridge Racer on the DS and couldn't help but laugh.

Ya no kidding. I was playing Wipeout Pure on the PSP and was wondering what the heck a DS version would look like. Since the DS is so innovative and different and therefor better it would have to look better. I mean I am sure the bottom screen would have your speed and position and you could also use the touchscreen to steer. Problem is the speed and position on the main screen is needed as you move so fast no way could you look down to a second screen and not mess up. The touchscreen would not make playing any easier and lastly the game would look like total crap.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2005, 03:46 PM

Ya no kidding. I was playing Wipeout Pure on the PSP and was wondering what the heck a DS version would look like. Since the DS is so innovative and different and therefor better it would have to look better. I mean I am sure the bottom screen would have your speed and position and you could also use the touchscreen to steer. Problem is the speed and position on the main screen is needed as you move so fast no way could you look down to a second screen and not mess up. The touchscreen would not make playing any easier and lastly the game would look like total crap.
Why are you so insecure?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 29, 2005, 03:47 PM

I saw a demo of Ridge Racer on TV comparing the DS to the PSP.

It truly looked like @ss on the DS, but was beautiful on the PSP.

EDIT:

Originally posted by goMac:
Why are you so insecure?
WTF?
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Mar 29, 2005 at 03:58 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 03:56 PM

Why are you so insecure?
Insecure? You care to explain what I posted about the game or would you rather distract?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 04:03 PM

You choose:

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Did you say this in 11/2001?

"The Best Buy where I bought my iPod sold out over the weekend.

The iPod is cool, but definitely not worth $400. Luckily I had $150 is Best Buy gift cards that I used towards the iPod. I would have never bought it if I had to pay full price. Waiting for the music to load sucks. At first you deal with it because of the euphoria of having a new toy, but after awhile reality sets you and it gets really annoying. The iPod is gorgeous, but it's shiny plastic attracts scratches and dirt like a magnet. If you breath on it wrong, it gets scratched. The iPod has so much potential, but until Apple lowers the price, I will just remain a rich man's toy."

Not to belittle your comments, but these sorts of complaints often have next to no bearing on how well this kind of product does in the marketplace. The same complaints were levied against the original PSX, the iPod, and other market dominating products.

Here are some of the most important indicators I've observed regarding PSP's potential:

(1) Every gamer I've showed mine to immediately wanted one
(2) Many non-gamers I've showed mine to immediately wanted one
(4) There is a quality title for almost everyone in the launch lineup
(5) There is no comparable product in the market

Yes people think the price is currently high, but prices tend to drop over time. Anyway, sorry if this post came across as combative, it's just that at this point in the PSP's lifecycle, I don't think some of those complaints are particularly relevant. It's early yet.

What's funny is I bought an original 5 GB iPod for $399 when it first came out and still use it everyday.

I guess you misunderstood my post. I don't think the PSP is going to fail and I'm not bashing it. However, common sense tells me that the PSP won't 'take off' until�

1. The price drops

2. More games available

The iPod didn't take off until the price dropped, added PC compatibility, and added larger hard drives.

Anyone who has a PSP will agree�

1. Waiting for the games and levels to load gets annoying

2. The shiny plastic attracts scratches and dirt

I hope this clarifies what I was trying to get across. If the PSP does well at the current price point, then I will not be ashamed to admit that I was wrong.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2005, 04:21 PM

Insecure? You care to explain what I posted about the game or would you rather distract?
You get mad when someone else comes along and says bad things about the PSP, yet you're perfectly fine with bringing up how bad the DS sucks every chance you get. Heaven forbid someone else mentions the DS in your PSP thread though...
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 05:24 PM

You get mad when someone else comes along and says bad things about the PSP, yet you're perfectly fine with bringing up how bad the DS sucks every chance you get. Heaven forbid someone else mentions the DS in your PSP thread though...
Bla bla bla. PSP vs DS.

You go get your giggles with the DS and everyone else will enjoy the PSP.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 01:55 AM

Wow the editor of the gamecube IGN really likes his PSP:

"As far as PSP goes, I'm merely being honest about my opinion. The simple truth is that I prefer Wipeout Pure and Ridge Racers to any games I've played on Nintendo DS so far. That doesn't mean I don't like DS, though. In fact, I'm really, super excited about both Nintendogs and Kirby: Cursed Canvas. Once Nintendo gets more DS-specialized software like that on the market, I'm sure the playing field will even out some. But right now, PSP's ability to recreate some of my favorite franchises with near-console-quality graphics and audio while retaining great gameplay mechanics, coupled with its movie/picture/music functionality, is frankly impressing the hell out of me."

http://cube.ign.com/mail

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 30, 2005, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Wow the editor of the gamecube IGN really likes his PSP:
... near-console-quality graphics...
What does he mean by 'near? Hasn't he seen the preview of this PSP game on IGN? Prepare to be shocked...55MBs download.

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/binary/a..._PSP032505.zip

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 07:56 AM

http://gear.ign.com/articles/599/599454p1.html

Thats actually a great comparison of the two systems(PSP VS NDS). Seems unbiast and factual as well.

Cheers

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 08:09 AM

Bla bla bla. PSP vs DS.

You go get your giggles with the DS and everyone else will enjoy the PSP.
"everyone else" ? lol...last i checked, more people have DS's in their hands than they do PSPs.And i havent found anyone credible(not you ) claim otherwise). get your facts straight.

I reckon you dont see PSP, PS2, XBox bashing threads on these boards, cause the only trolls who care to bash Nintnedo are gamer-geeks, with nothing better to do....and we all know that MOST of the people in the world are obsessed with graphics as the couple of nerds who troll on these message boards.

Heck you dont see the Nintendo 'fanboys' starting threads bashing Sony or XBox....lord knows we got a life outside our living rooms. And by that i dont mean playing a PSP or NDS at the beach, . Despite the fact that the PS2 has the worst graphics, the XBox has the worst controller, and that the PSP version of Metal Gear is a card game...heck...you dont see Nintendo fans poking fun at that.... I advise you(starwars boy) to have some class for a change and take a lesson from that.

Back to topic. NDS still has higher sales figures....."boo hoo"

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 08:57 AM

It was my birthday on Saturday, I had some money, I went to shop around and bought a DS with Spiderman and an accessory pack. I know one person who has already imported a PSP, I know 3 other people who own the DS. If the PSP was actually on sale in this country, maybe this would be different. But at the moment, us brits have the choice of paying over the odds for a US or Japanese PSP, or going to a shop and buying a DS, I chose the latter, I am happy. Thankyou.

I also have a PS2 at home and an NGage QD phone, but now I have the DS, that'll be going come contract time.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 09:57 AM

Since when is the topic Nintendo DS sales figures?

At any rate:

Japan sales:

PlayStation Portable: 43,644 (Annual: 580,120)
PlayStation 2: 40,270 (Annual: 602,316)
Nintendo DS: 22,446 (Annual: 429,545)

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 10:02 AM

Since when is the topic Nintendo DS sales figures?

At any rate:

Japan sales:

PlayStation Portable: 43,644 (Annual: 580,120)
PlayStation 2: 40,270 (Annual: 602,316)
Nintendo DS: 22,446 (Annual: 429,545)

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 11:36 AM

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 12:03 PM

A new iSync plugin for the PSP

http://www.pocketmac.net/products/pmpsp/psp.html
If it doesn't sync my iCal data, my Palm notes/memos and tasks/to-dos, then I will buy neither a PSP nor Pocketmac. It's gotta fully replace my PDA before I make the investment.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
If it doesn't sync my iCal data, my Palm notes/memos and tasks/to-dos, then I will buy neither a PSP nor Pocketmac. It's gotta fully replace my PDA before I make the investment.
I don't think the PSP is supposed to be a PDA replacement, it is an entertainment centre.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 12:28 PM

I don't think the PSP is supposed to be a PDA replacement, it is an entertainment centre.
What do I care what it's supposed to be? That's purely a marketing question that AFAIC doesn't affect me one way or the other. If the PSP has the features I want, I'll buy it; if it doesn't, I won't.

What prompted me to say what I did was that PocketMac's other products do sync calendars to PDA as well as contacts. iSync also does that for other products like the Palm So it's not unreasonable to hope that this product would do the same for the PSP if that were possible under whatever environment the PSP provides.

RonnieoftheRose
Mar 30, 2005, 12:35 PM

PDA features are under development for a future update. They apparently include a word processor, browser, email client and a PIM. No word when it will be released. A keyboard add on already exists so it's obvious that the PSP is not just for entertainment.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by selowitch:
What do I care what it's supposed to be? That's purely a marketing question that AFAIC doesn't affect me one way or the other. If the PSP has the features I want, I'll buy it; if it doesn't, I won't.
You are making it sound like sony forgot to add something. It is like saying, if the PSP had wheels and drove me to work I would buy it. If not, I am not buying it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2005, 01:36 PM

You are making it sound like sony forgot to add something. It is like saying, if the PSP had wheels and drove me to work I would buy it. If not, I am not buying it.
Waiting for PDA functionality is the same reason I haven't bought either yet. Seeing as how the PSP has no stylus I'll probably go with the DS.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 01:38 PM

Waiting for PDA functionality is the same reason I haven't bought either yet. Seeing as how the PSP has no stylus I'll probably go with the DS.
Rumor has it they have these new things called PDA's that even played games.

Sounds like it would be the right thing for you guys as you sound like you would be happy with the half asses aspect on either the games or the PDA functions.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules