Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why Do People Make Up Fake Names for Things in Movies?

Why Do People Make Up Fake Names for Things in Movies? (Page 2)
Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2010, 11:55 PM

So in chapter three when I say that one character's blackberry conditions him to a state of constant disappointment, by the deluge of negative emails from work flowing in... they might not like that eh?
Do you think I could call it a crack berry without any legal repercussions?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
"Heeey - this is a UNIX system! I know this!"
What movie is that from? I'm thinking it is some sort of 80s movie...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:12 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
So in chapter three when I say that one character's blackberry conditions him to a state of constant disappointment, by the deluge of negative emails from work flowing in... they might not like that eh?
Do you think I could call it a crack berry without any legal repercussions?
I'd slap my forehead, but only because I can't reach yours.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2010, 02:30 AM

For calling it a crack berry or the general idea?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

Hehhe... multiple layers of cheese.

Thanks!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
For calling it a crack berry or the general idea?

Because what brand name to use is not worth fussing over, IMHO. In fact, going out of your way to use a brand is somewhat distracting. Just refer to it as his cellphone and call it a day, there is likely nothing added to the writing by being specific about what brand of phone your character is using.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 03:22 AM

Mentioning such technological specifica makes it pretty much certain that most people won't have a clue what you're talking about ten years down the line, and those that do will find it quaint or silly. Using a (derogatory) term for such devices based on a brand name GUARANTEES it.

You're dating and obsoleting your writing before it's even done.

OTOH, the fact that you're worrying about such irrelevancies (just call it a cellphone, or a communicator, or whatever and be done with it) does not bode well.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 04:00 AM

Salty: I think what you are trying to do is make your book "new media" in making accurate references to our culture?

The problem is, fictional books and movies are old media. Their characters live in make believe worlds and use make believe technology. Even books that reference actual people and events in this country, it is still almost always a sort of alternate reality sort of world where it doesn't really matter if certain things are not in accordance to our reality.

If you are wanting to make your book new media, I don't know how you could create a fictional work in this medium. To my knowledge this hasn't been done before.

I would encourage deciding whether you want this book to be an alternate reality sort of thing, and if you do, don't try to bring our reality into your world, it would actually be quite distracting and disorienting, I think.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 30, 2010, 07:20 AM

In his novel "Between Planets," published in 1951, Heinlein has a teenage character take "his phone out of his pocket and..." make a call. No details, nothing particularly technical, just the guy has a phone in his pocket. I think this still works just fine for a reader today. As Spheric Harlot says, just call the phone a phone and be done with it. Let the reader contribute some imagination and stick with telling the story.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules