Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buy from US, use in UK?

Buy from US, use in UK? (Page 2)
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2007, 05:52 PM

If you bring it back in the box, there is a chance that they might, but if you carry it back in a laptop case, they will not think twice about it - imagine how difficult it would be to try to track whether the laptops people brought through airports should be taxed. Basically, they are not interested in you. If you have a suitcase full, then maybe.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 21, 2007, 04:36 PM

The weak dollar proves very good for European shoppers and American retail.

Exchange rate tourists hit the shops of New York | News_ | Guardian Unlimited Money

A family of four is picked out and, yes, comes from Leicester. Matthew Noble has just run the Boston marathon in 3 hours 18 minutes. ("Not bad for a 42-year-old.") Wife Sophie and children Francesca, 13, and Oliver, 11, all have new shoes. Francesca has bought two dresses, three T-shirts and earrings. Oliver is grumpy about all the shopping, but has a new game for his Nintendo in compensation.

With five positive sightings to two negative, the spot-the-Briton test appears to work. Down in Soho at the Apple store, identification is more difficult because of the global iPod-users' look of woolly hats, dark coats, stubble for men, and tight jeans. We do guess right though with Jenny Francis and Richard Blamey from London, who are deliberating whether to buy a new iPod. The maths is appealing: in the UK a 30G model would cost £179. Here it is $249, which at the new easy-to-calculate one for two rate comes out at £54.50 cheaper.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson View Post
The maths is appealing: in the UK a 30G model would cost £179. Here it is $249, which at the new easy-to-calculate one for two rate comes out at £54.50 cheaper.
C'mon Aron, play the game - this is yet another one of those lazy journalism stories. First, the 30GB iPod is USD:249.00, without sales tax. This article is talking about "Soho", so it must be New York City (because the Apple Store London is in Mayfair) – which means that with the sales tax it's actually USD:269.85. Given our accepted exchange rate of USD:1.92/GBP:1.00 that makes the iPod GBP:140.55.

Now, I don't know about you, but I can only find GBP:38.45 difference in the price (which is still quite a high percentage, but nowhere near GBP:54.50), and that's forgetting about the credit card transaction fee.

Not only that, but Amazon UK is selling the 30GB iPod for GBP:170.00.

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 22, 2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Clive View Post
C'mon Aron, play the game - this is yet another one of those lazy journalism stories. First, the 30GB iPod is USD:249.00, without sales tax. This article is talking about "Soho", so it must be New York City (naw you don't ****ing say, Clive - Aron)
Do you think they went to NY to buy the iPod only?

Stop trying to win arguments like a 12 year old pulling hair at the back of the class.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2007, 08:58 AM

While the money's a good reason to buy a laptop in the States (and it's always worked out cheaper for me, Clive, even being able to claim VAT back and deductions on depreciation afterwards), the best reason is...

...to not have to deal with the standard bloody UK Enter key!

I hate it, I hate it. Every laptop I've ever owned (bar my first) has been from outside the UK, and largely for that reason. If you use pipe more than Enter then good for you, but apart from that it's just a silly bugger of a design. And I've got big hands - it must be even worse for short-fingered types.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Peterson View Post
Do you think they went to NY to buy the iPod only?

Stop trying to win arguments like a 12 year old pulling hair at the back of the class.
Er, that's you mate, not me. I'm just dishing out the facts, while you want to put your "yeah but" spin on it all the time.

That Guardian article, which I read in the print edition, is pretty much trying to encourage people to go shopping in New York for the money savings. And there are people profiled in it who have tried to do just that. But, let's be fair, you'd have to spend a lot of money to make a saving overall - the best you can do is try to discount the cost of your flights/accommodation (and hotels in NYC are not cheap).

While we're looking at the print edition... oh, what's that story on the same page, headlined "Trainers, Hoodies, DVDs: and good luck with Customs"?

The overall point is, reading two dollars to the pound exchange rates is a really lazy way to think you're saving money – do the maths on it and work it out for yourself, the savings aren't always there.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by all2ofme View Post
While the money's a good reason to buy a laptop in the States (and it's always worked out cheaper for me, Clive, even being able to claim VAT back and deductions on depreciation afterwards), the best reason is...
I don't know what you've bought and when, so I can't really comment either way.

...to not have to deal with the standard bloody UK Enter key!
Do you mean the return key? The enter key's are the same on both US and UK keyboards, AFAIK. I prefer the Euro key layout to the US one, but that's just a personal preference.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2007, 05:17 PM

I've always bought the high-spec Powerbooks (no MBP for me!) and filled them up with stuff, avoided US sales tax, sent the boxes home separately etc.

It all adds up to a lot of faffing around, but it has saved me money, and I make a point of enjoying myself while I'm there, so it's been a good excuse to have a holiday as well as buy some new toys

And yes, the return key's what I mean - I can't stand the skinny taller-than-it-is-wide key that we get here. It's too much of a reach, and really bothers me. I could rant for pages about it

Anyway - back on topic. I think that the US/UK bit is best summed up:

Sometimes it's cheaper to get things in the States instead of the UK. Sometimes a lot cheaper, but don't forget to factor in the time (and worry, if you're a worrier) and hassle you'll put in.

(Or the happiness that a real Return key will give you! )

I don't know what you've bought and when, so I can't really comment either way.

Do you mean the return key? The enter key's are the same on both US and UK keyboards, AFAIK. I prefer the Euro key layout to the US one, but that's just a personal preference.

JKT
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2007, 05:21 AM

I'm with Clive on this one - I much prefer the tall Return key on the UK keyboard... my finger is longer than it is fat and there is more of a target to hit with the vertical orientation than there is with the horizontal one. I also prefer that the majority of the modifier keys are labelled with graphical symbols rather than text. It is much easier for people unfamiliar with keyboard shortcuts to learn from the UK keyboard than it is the US one as the symbols you see in the menus match the ones on the keyboard (ctrl excepted).

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
...my finger is longer than it is fat...
Phew!

Well, I'm glad someone likes it. It gives me faith that its design might have been considered after all!

Espresso_
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2007, 09:21 AM

Hi guys

Thanks for the debate on this subject.

I live in the UK and I'm planning to go to the US (New York), where I will buy a MBP shortly. I was assuming massive savings, but hadn't counted on things like Sales Tax, bad exchange and Card fees, so thanks again for the tips.

In the spirit of demonstrating that this depends on one's individual circumstances, I am going to post my calculations and situation.

1) I am not using my MBP for business, so I cannot claim back VAT. As such, the benchmark comparison price for me is the full UK RRP inc VAT.
2) I am going to the US anyway, buying a Mac is not the point of the trip.
3) I prefer the US keyboard layout and I already have the duck head converter for the UK, as I currently have an Australian PB G4.
4) I'm a Barclay's customer, and using a debit card to make purchases in the US attracts 2.75% fee for currency exchange. My understanding is that they give you the current wholesale rate and add 2.75% for their trouble. (See here: Card services : Barclays Personal Banking)

US Costs
Basic price MBP 2GB/2.4/200GB - $2599
NY Sales Tax - 8.38%
Card Fee/Exchange fee - 2.75%
Total USD - $2888.27
Assumed exchange rate 1GBP = 2.01USD
Total GBP - £1436.95

UK costs
Price inc. VAT MBP 2GB/2.4/200GB - £1659

Total Saving £222.05 or $446.32

That's not as much as I was thinking, but it's certainly worth the hassle of buying it overseas.

PS. I have also had an experience of taking my Australian PB G4 to a UK Apple centre and having it serviced without issue. Same for my Australian iPod.

Cheers

E

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 10:06 AM

Don't forget import duty.

Technically you are meant to pay VAT on anything you purchased within 6 Months before you "relocate" back to the UK.

Carry it by hand and you avoid VAT, but fill in a customs form (c3 for returning citizens) and you are a lot of quid out of pocket.

I would hand carry it if I were you, her Majesty turns a blind eye if you behave yourself, work hard, pay tax, be a good citizen and recycle.

Brits benefit from a slightly reasonable customs department, something most Australians and Americans are rightfully jealous of.

Enjoy it!
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Aug 31, 2007 at 10:21 AM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 02:27 PM

Also, there is no way will get an exchange rate of 2.01 unless the dollar goes to about $2.05 to 2.10 per £1.00. You are more likely to get a rate of $1.95 to $1.97 at the moment. That doesn't affect the price too much, but it takes it down to slightly less than £200 in saving (not including import duty). Still a fair saving, so could be worth while if you ignore the duty.

SpencerLavery
Aug 31, 2007, 05:23 PM

Clive you're dishing out guesstimates and opinions as facts and it's misleading, not to mention your calculations are based mostly upon the purchasee being a VAT registered company. Please just admit that your argument is your personal preference and stop trying to convince people that there aren't savings to be made, when it has been shown clearly that there are.

I'm new to this forum and have just wandered into this thread, I don't really want to get involved in a debate but it really does seem as though you're arguing in order to save face here, instead of to provide the correct information. And providing correct information is what this forum should be about.

I think the bottom line is; if you're travelling to the US, and the model you want offers a decent saving, it's worthwhile. As you have shown though, the savings aren't always that clear cut and the decision does require some prior research.

You're both right, just in different circumstances.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 04:41 PM

Sales tax: New York state: 4.00%, New York City: 8.38%.

Source: New York Sales Tax Rates

It's not clear to me whether one gets added to the other (ie 12.38%), or what, maybe a New Yorker can tell us?
8.375% on manhattan right now
iamwhor3hay

Fusion
Senior User
Sep 1, 2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Yankbear View Post

Also, are you all aware that there is at least ONE US state which has NO sales tax? Delaware-- and we all love driving down for some shopping there

Anything else I should know?
Oregon too Not that any of you brits want to come out to the PacNW, but hey...

Forum Links
Forum Rules