Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Asterix (the comic)

Asterix (the comic) (Page 2)
villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sven G
From the historical point of view, anyway, I think that one of the most interesting things in Asterix is the description of the Roman lifestyles and (military) organisation...
I think the main 'historical interest' would be the drawing of buildings where Uderzo actually pay attention to the authenticity. The rest is just an adaptation of modern issues in a fun gallic context : Goscinny and Uderzo are playing a lot with stereotypes, be they against the French or other people in Europe. Don't get me wrong, it's one of the best comics out there. The part I like the best are the caricatures of French celebrities. Jacques Chirac was in one of them for instance, a long time ago, as a ... bureaucrat.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Monique
I find it very interest that the English community likes Asterix; but it is a shame you loose a lot about the humour when it is translated I guessed just like trying to translate Calvin and Hobbes or Dilbert.
When I compared the german versions to the french originals, I found out, they are very very near the originals. The translation carries nearly everyone of the french jokes etc.
I don't like the english version so much, neither from Asterix nor from TinTin. It's just too... "technically" correct.

Pb.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 02:09 AM

Theyre making a new Asterix Movie "Asterix and the Vikings" (I guess based on "Asterix and the Norman" book). Biggest and most expensive animation project in Europe thus far. very cool.

Cheers

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Nov 16, 2005, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
As much as I enjoyed Asterix (I got them all), I am a Gaston Lagaffe person.

translation: "Calm down! Calm down!"

Back to Asterix, this one is a classix!

Compare:

That is a great observation. I always knew that Asterix is real art ;o).

But coming back to the films. Amazon has them and you can buy them wordwide. BUT: The films are not nearly as good as the comics. Films are made for kids only. They lack the deep humor of the comic and these incredible storys that amuses you with 10 as much as with 40 (for completely different reasons).

I never read an english translations of Asterix, but I agree with others that the german version is marvelous and indeed very close to the french (I own more than 25 books in both languages).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2005, 11:48 AM

I have all the comics in German, but I'd LOVE to see a complete edition of annotated translations - with things like original artwork that is spoofed (see post above this), caricatures pointed out with brief historical context (many of the figures are only vaguely familiar thirty years later, if at all), etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules