Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama/Powell '08

Obama/Powell '08 (Page 2)
Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
So altogether, the article you've quoted, Dork, has got it wrong, the guy doesn't know squat about academia.
I think you're talking about tie's link to wikipedia there. Unless you think that wonkette doesn't know squat about academia, but they'd probably agree with you!

I just think it's funny that we're still discussing this after the University released a statement confirming that he was "a professor" for the period in question. Unless you share wonkette's "opinion" that the University of Chicago is part of the vast right-wing conspiracy to discredit Hillary Clinton and they're lying, the matter should be closed. I'll leave it to the University to decide who merits to be called "a professor".

(and yes, I'm aware that I'm the one who brought it up here again, but I thought I was settling the matter....)

OreoCookie
Mar 29, 2008, 11:17 AM

Ah, ok, I misunderstood, I thought you were supporting that non-sense.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Huh? That's also news to me.
The term professor is very much country specific. In England, they usually use lecturer, reader and professor instead of assistant professor, associate professor and full professor. The wikipedia page doesn't get it quite right either: in Austria (they are very, very special when it comes to titles), they use university professor, college professor and so on to distinguish yourself from a puny teacher at high school. In America, you usually become a professor when you teach, no prior academic experience is even necessary (e. g. famous authors or former politicians become professors).

So altogether, the article you've quoted, Dork, has got it wrong, the guy doesn't know squat about academia.
That was the Clinton campaign pushing the idea that Obama lied about his title, and wonkette was being sarcastic.

I just read about this one and got a chuckle. An arrest warrant was issued for an American professor working in Germany because he called himself "Dr." but apparently German law says only German PhDs can call themselves "Dr."

Maybe Obama could be arrested for calling himself "professor?"

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2008, 12:13 PM

No problem. The only nonsense I wish to support is continued reading of wonkette, which is teh funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules