Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Who's Going To Buy An iPod???

Who's Going To Buy An iPod??? (Page 2)
<VR6>
Oct 24, 2001, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
<STRONG>I will be ordering one shortly. Just want to verify that I can plug it into my car stereo first. If so, this will make one hell of a jukebox for when taking long trips!

OAW</STRONG>
I'd love to know how to plug it into my car stereo. In fact, i'd buy it in a minute if I could do that. I've got a 2001 VW Jetta with the Monsoon soundsystem. Anybody know how I could pull that off?
If I can't do this I don't really see the point in owning this device - I'm not some silly teenager who walks around with a walkman all day.

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Oct 24, 2001, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by &lt;dissident&gt;:
<STRONG>Apple should bundle the iPod with the entry level ibook for like $1499.</STRONG>
That would be cool! Some kind of packaging deal would be neat. And an incentive for those that have older computers without firewire. Although the new speed boost on the iBooks would be a good incentive to begin with.

I really would like one. All I have is an old walkman at home and I hate lugging tapes around. It would be so sweet to have most of my collection in the Pod! (I'm a former music teacher and over 300 CD!)

The price is what's getting me. But I did do some number crunching of price per MB of the Pad versus say the Rio 300 & 800. And of course the Pod won. It's just a matter of finding the money. Too bad this didn't get release when Bush sent out the tax refund. I wouldn't of bought tires for my car!!! ....well.... ........ it would of been a tough decision.

"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Oct 24, 2001, 01:36 PM

Thinking about it a little more - a packaged deal of iBook / iPod would be brilliant. Or say an iMac / iPod. That would really help focus in on students and entry level.

Think of it: an iMac or iBook, OS X and a kick a$$ MP3 player.

"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

fastfreddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2001, 02:11 PM

A lot of you people dont get it do you? Remember this is a business we are talking about here. The price is kind of pushing it, but some people will pay it. The product also does NOT influence there main sales producers, computers, at all. This product for them is a high margin product with probably very little R&D involved. Straight bank for Apple. I also hear people complaining about how it will not be Windows compatible, what are you thinking? When was the last time Apple made anything for the Windows platform. Please expect all the "digital hub" products to have nothing to do with Windows. Please think before speaking.

ff

Orange Luna
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2001, 03:30 PM

Despite it not being available for the Windows platform, I expect it will be soon. How hard will it be to make a Windows interface? More and more PC's are getting firewire. Hell, this may be a big sell in the PC community and Apple may never have to make an interface!
"It's the cowards and weaklings and sorelosers who hide behind rules and fair play."
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

Tzaar
Oct 24, 2001, 03:51 PM

I already have an iPod. Except mine is made of Titanium, has a 15.2" screen and 4 times the storage space. Plus, I can watch DVD's on mine. Although it can't fit in my pocket...

Ok yeah. Maybe if someone gives me one I'll get it.

scadboy
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2001, 04:31 PM

I'm going to buy one... eventually.

I think the iPod won't suffer the same fate as the cube for a few reasons:

When I first saw the cube, my first thought was, "wow, that's kind of cool, but way too expensive." But on the wow side, it's only real advantage was it's size and style, and I already had a perfectly capable powerbook that beat the Cube's size by being completely portable. So, while I thought it was really cool, I didn't have any real interest in buying it.

Now, I'm no MP3 nut, I have maybe 300-400 songs, too many to put on a CD, but not enough to warrant a 20 gig monster like the nomad. I want an iPod, I want one bad. The first time I saw it, I was totally ready to order one, so I clicked the little "but it now" button on the web page, then sticker shock hit, $399!?!? While I believe this price is quite reasonable given the competition, it's just a little out of my range right now, despite the perks of having a tiny 5GB harddrive, which would be very useful for taking work back and forth between classes. SO, unlike the cube, this is a totally cool device which I intend to purchase, eventually, as soon as the price drops into the $300 range.

My boyfriend is an MP3 fiend, his collection currently spans three harddrives, with about a month's worth of songs in total, and he uses a cd-based mp3 player for taking 700 meg chunks of his collection with him. When he saw the iPod, his reaction was very similar to mine, he wants one to replace his cd-based player, but, he just put his deposit down on a nintendo game cube, so no-go until after the holidays.

This device has the potential for great things, and at $400 I consider it a bargain, just slightly beyond my reach right now. Dangling tantalizingly out of grasp, but I'm definitely thinking it would be a great way to spend my christmas cash or my IRS refund come may.

I really don't want or need a new computer, having bought a pismo about a year ago, it still suits me well, but I have been looking at MP3 players for the past year, and none has really had the right combination of features until the iPod. The nomad is too big and heavy, so I might as well have gotten a cd-based unit like my b/f's, but I really wanted something SMALL, but everything in the iPod's size range, like the rio etc, have had very limited capacity. I almost bought an Iomega Hip Zip, but now I'm glad I waited. So, maybe after the holidays while I'm home on winter break, I'll mosey on down to the Buffalo Apple store and buy one, we'll see... Like most apple things, I'll probably wait for revision b.

anywho, as soon as anyone gets their grubby little hands on one, they are compelled to post a full review ;-)

ciao,

michael

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2001, 05:03 PM

Please think before speaking.
i hate to point out the obvious, but typing would have been
the appropriate word.

However, I do agree with you in all other respects.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2001, 05:10 PM

Well I've ordered mine today from the Apple Store. I didn't even wait to see for sure if I could hook it up to a car stereo! Probably should have been more patient ... but it seems to me that this should hook up the same way a CD Walkman does .. via a "tape" adapter that outputs from the headphone jack and plugs into the cassette deck. Anyone know of any reason why a setup like this wouldn't work?

OAW

palmberg
Senior User
Oct 24, 2001, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by &lt;dissident&gt;:
<STRONG>Apple should bundle the iPod with the entry level ibook for like $1499.</STRONG>
Wait for it...
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2001, 09:21 PM

Hopefully by the time I can find enough cash for one, the price will have dropped.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

crystalthunder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2001, 09:30 PM

I might be a little off topic, but does anybody know what song is playing in the new iPod commercial? It is a really cool song and I would like to add it to my iTunes library.

Anyway, if Apple bundled the iPod with any iBook for say $200 extra, I'd buy that is a second!
15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ w/ 128MB VRAM
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules