Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who will buy Palm?

View Poll Results: Who will buy Palm?
Poll Options:
Google 5 votes (16.13%)
HTC 5 votes (16.13%)
Nokia 0 votes (0%)
Sony Ericsson 0 votes (0%)
LG 0 votes (0%)
Samsung 0 votes (0%)
Microsoft 3 votes (9.68%)
RIM 2 votes (6.45%)
Some Chinese company nobody has ever heard of 4 votes (12.90%)
Nobody 9 votes (29.03%)
Other 3 votes (9.68%)
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll
Who will buy Palm? (Page 2)
Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 01:55 AM

Apple could buy them with cash, close them down, put their IP into a bank vault and offer all Palm phone users and shareholders a cheap iPhone, and they (Apple) would still make money in the end.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2010, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Apple could buy them with cash, close them down, put their IP into a bank vault and offer all Palm phone users and shareholders a cheap iPhone, and they (Apple) would still make money in the end.
$800 million is a pretty hefty price to do all that. Not to mention embarrassing.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
$800 million is a pretty hefty price to do all that. Not to mention embarrassing.
But Apple has way too much cash on hand, they need to spend some of it or return it to shareholders.

It would only be embarrassing to Palm for its loss of face.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2010, 02:04 AM

But Apple has way too much cash on hand, they need to spend some of it or return it to shareholders.

It would only be embarrassing to Palm for its loss of face.
They don't need to blow the money senselessly. Prob smarter to spend that 800 mil in their own R&D or buy out some companies with some technology worth having.

And I am sure Palm users would be just thrilled if Apple offered them an iPhone cheap. Why would Apple do that anyway when you can get one on contract for $200.

HTC will buy them to save their ass in the pending Apple lawsuit.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 02:15 AM

I do wonder which Chinese OEM company builds the Palm handsets these days.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2010, 02:16 AM

Kudos on your prescience, SPRINKLES .

That said, I voted for Something-something China-something. Seems to be the trend lately.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 09:09 AM

…And I am sure Palm users would be just thrilled if Apple offered them an iPhone cheap. Why would Apple do that anyway when you can get one on contract for $200.
Seriously. Probably a good chunk of people who bought WebOS phones are in the anything-but-Apple crowd, who’d either not take a cheap iPhone or turn around and sell it to fund an Android purchase.

HTC will buy them to save their ass in the pending Apple lawsuit.
That Gizmodo post is kind of sad. I was really interested in the Pre when it came out (though in the end, I upgraded my original iPhone to a 3GS without ever trying out WebOS). It would be a bit of a shame for them to get bought out and have their OS discontinued. But even more so if the whole point of buying them is for defense in the patent lawsuit. I really like Apple’s products and their history of innovation, but suing over software patents is crap. Apple can absolutely compete with Android (and Microsoft’s eleventy-billion mobile OSes) by just making better stuff. This isn’t like the scary times for the desktop OS when people thought, “Maybe Macs are a little better, but I have to use Windows for work…” There’s something like an even playing field (some would say an advantage for Apple).

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 09:13 AM

But I digress. Back to Palm, it’ll be a little sad to see them go, but they’ve been f***ing up for too long. Before I first got a cell phone, I was kind of waiting around for Palm to come up with the perfect one, because it seemed like if they were close to having a really good smartphone OS. Too bad Palm OS 6 was their Copland and they couldn’t make WebOS their Mac OS X…

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 09:47 AM

I also think Apple's cash reserves are a bit too much, but the prevailing sentiment on the street is NOT to have Apple start issuing dividends at this point. AAPL is a growth stock, and has been behaving as such until now, and likely will continue to do so if Apple can maintain momentum behind the iPad and iPhone OS 4.0. In that context, there is no need for them to return the cash to shareholders.

That will happen when Apple's innovation and growth stagnates... sort of like what happened with Microsoft.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2010, 11:26 AM

I do wonder which Chinese OEM company builds the Palm handsets these days.
Chi Mei Communication Systems (CMCS), a Foxconn subdiary, is the ODM for the Pre. Other Foxconn group businesses (notably Hon Hai Precision Industry) build the iPhone, iPad, and Kindle.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2010, 12:22 PM

But they don't want Rubenstein back.

Sealobo
Apr 12, 2010, 01:35 PM

AAPL Mkt Cap. ~220B

Palm MKt Cap. ~1B

projected AAPL net cash by end of year: 58B

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That will happen when Apple's innovation and growth stagnates... sort of like what happened with Microsoft.
That's a heck of an assumption that Apple will one day peek and no longer innovate as they have a monopoly. Hasn't happened yet so I don't see why you think it will.

Even when Apple had 70%+ of the PMP market the iPods never stopped innovating.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 02:20 PM

^^^ Well, you should invest all of your spare money into AAPL then, if you're that sure about Apple's future. Most of the rest of the world would prefer some portfolio diversification.

BTW, iPod/iPhone growth has already started to slow.

Apple iPod sales growth slows, iPhones too - but it's still best-ever quarter | Technology | guardian.co.uk

That's one reason why the iPad is so important to Apple from a business perspective.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks eug but I could give a crap about a stock portfolio. I like being an Apple customer just like you even though you pretend everything is wrong with them as they have a giant portfolio of "useless products".

Big old DUH on the slowed iPod growth since everyone has them and it is all about convergence now. Good thing they figured this out years before you and came out with the iPhone.

As for iPhones slowing down do you think it has anything to do with the fact that they went from only being in the USA and later international that would cause a big boost and then slowdown? Or maybe that the last iphone is 10 months old and everyone is holding out for the new model INCLUDING YOURSELF.

Or you are actually saying that Apple is near peeking in innovation and iPhone popularity and sales will go nothing but down in the near term and the the iPad (another "useless" product in your eyes) is an attempt to save them?

Actually scratch those questions as this is a thread about the death of palm NOT Apple and from your first post you tried to bring the company you love to hate apple back into it.

I just read the interview on CNN with palm. What a joke. He is saying they have the best product on the market, best software, hardware etc, yet nobody seems interested in buying their stuff. Even the carriers rather sell android and iPhone.

They are toast no other way around it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 03:07 PM

Never mind.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 12, 2010 at 03:37 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 03:22 PM

You two know each other IRL, right?

Can you please just dick it out there?

It's getting ****ing annoying, this personal bickering in every DVD, Blu-Ray, and iPad thread on the forum.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You two know each other IRL, right?
Yes

Can you please just dick it out there?

It's getting ****ing annoying, this personal bickering in every DVD, Blu-Ray, and iPad thread on the forum.
Noted. I'll try not to respond to those hysterical posts. I share the annoyance, but I can see how my responses will only serve to add to the annoyance by others here. I'll just delete my last one as a start.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2010, 03:38 PM

Big old DUH on the slowed iPod growth since everyone has them and it is all about convergence now. Good thing they figured this out years before you and came out with the iPhone.

As for iPhones slowing down do you think it has anything to do with the fact that they went from only being in the USA and later international that would cause a big boost and then slowdown? Or maybe that the last iphone is 10 months old and everyone is holding out for the new model INCLUDING YOURSELF.
Aren't you just repeating what Eug said? I hate to use stupid corporate terminology, but because products like the iPod have saturated the market so much, Apple needs to diversify. It's not a slight against Apple, it's just business. That's how the world works. Of course Apple will continue to update old products, and people will continue to switch to the platform, but as the chart shows, as well as other data, sales are slowing.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2010, 10:31 PM

If HTC/Nokia/Google buy Palm, it would be bad for Apple. The IP that Palm holds is, imo very valuable, especially considering the lawsuits Apple has filed against Nokia and HTC (the lawsuits are costs with risks, which would change dramatically if those companies get a hold of significant IP).

If those companies buy Palm, it weakens Apple's bargaining position and leverage. If Apple buys Palm, it strengthens Apple's position in the vs Nokia and vs HTC cases, not to mention Apple's IP portfolio.

I think Palm's talent is worth having as well, given their expertise and contributions thus far.

Cheers

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
If those companies buy Palm, it weakens Apple's bargaining position and leverage. If Apple buys Palm, it strengthens Apple's position in the vs Nokia and vs HTC cases, not to mention Apple's IP portfolio.
Exactly.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 10:53 PM

But is it worth $0.8 billion? I'm guessing Apple doesn't think so.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2010, 06:31 PM

Apple will not be the buyer. Steve would hold his head in shame that he paid for a company that was run by a former apple board member and that they threatened to sue for copying. Plus they really have nothing they could want.

Even if HTC bought it for the IP to fend against apple all they could really do is counter sue. There isn't anything that palm has that would protect them from the Apple suite.

I also don't think it would look good to the government if Apple bought palm just to kill them and prevent HTC from defending itself.

My guess is that someone MIGHT buy them just for the webOS as an alternative to Android but even then there isn't much value in developing your own OS when you already get Android for free and just skin it with a giant flip clock.

Why would anyone want to buy Palm? | Phones | iPhone Central | Macworld
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Apr 14, 2010 at 06:39 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2010, 07:26 PM

Apple will not be the buyer. Steve would hold his head in shame that he paid for a company that was run by a former apple board member and that they threatened to sue for copying. Plus they really have nothing they could want.

Even if HTC bought it for the IP to fend against apple all they could really do is counter sue.

My guess is that someone MIGHT buy them just for the webOS as an alternative to Android but even then there isn't much value in developing your own OS when you already get Android for free and just skin it with a giant flip clock.
No, Apple wouldn't buy Palm for the reasons you explained, certainly. I think that "someone" you're referring to is HTC. Since M$ won't allow modifications of Windows Phone 7 UI or functionality, HTC is left to produce Android devices. Plus, HTC is cross with carriers rolling out updates to essentially the same devices all helter skelter. webOS is a perfect opportunity for them.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No, Apple wouldn't buy Palm for the reasons you explained, certainly. I think that "someone" you're referring to is HTC. Since M$ won't allow modifications of Windows Phone 7 UI or functionality, HTC is left to produce Android devices. Plus, HTC is cross with carriers rolling out updates to essentially the same devices all helter skelter. webOS is a perfect opportunity for them.
Well lets say WebOS is perfect for HTC, is it perfect for the customer?

So far Palm has proven with its terrible sales that customers don't see enough advantage or care enough about WebOS to choose it over almost everything else.

Other than multitasking (which IPhone will have in June) what strong advantage does the OS have that will draw customers to it. Don't say game support, Apple is already killing them on that.

I can't see HTC adding anything to WebOS other than a skin (which it doesn't need) and even if it did will customers care? I highly highly doubt it even if it was the coolest more flippiest clock skin ever!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2010, 07:59 PM

Well lets say WebOS is perfect for HTC, is it perfect for the customer?

So far Palm has proven with its terrible sales that customers don't see enough advantage or care enough about WebOS to choose it over almost everything else.

Other than multitasking (which IPhone will have in June) what strong advantage does the OS have that will draw customers to it. Don't say game support, Apple is already killing them on that.

I can't see HTC adding anything to WebOS other than a skin (which it doesn't need) and even if it did will customers care? I highly highly doubt it even if it was the coolest more flippiest clock skin ever!
If you ask me, webOS itself isn't bad at all (or at least 1.0 wasn't... 1.4 is kind of sluggish). Where webOS lags is developers outside of gaming. Another area where Palm needs to step up is build quality of the devices. It would also help if they'd actually make compelling hardware. I know Palm refuses to do it, but HTC could give them a great soft keyboard. Plus, HTC makes some of the most highly rated in terms of quality handsets out there.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 01:52 AM

It would also help if they'd actually make compelling hardware. I know Palm refuses to do it, but HTC could give them a great soft keyboard. Plus, HTC makes some of the most highly rated in terms of quality handsets out there.
Read the interview. They admited they don't have the money and have to go into frugal mode. That means no big R&D, no time to test, no money for big marketing blitz, no money for software development, they have 2 products 1 sucks the other has a horrible keyboard and cheap.

You said 3 weeks ago that me calling them dead in months was pre-mature and 2 weeks later they put themselves up for sale. You're way to optimistic, they are dead like BE OS (which they bought ironically) the only question now is who will pick up the Brand, IP and OS. Are they worth 800 mil to someone is the only question left.

I can't see how HTC has 800 mil to throw at the OS when android is free with all the hard work done and only needing to skin. I also get the feeling that if they skinned the WebOS it would look much like their android phones. So why would the average consumer want it over anything else? A skin and the prettiest multitasking?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2010, 01:59 AM

I agree, there's not much to salvage, other than the IP and brand name.

RIP Palm.

-t

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 02:47 AM

I din't know that one of Palm's major investors is Bono. That's U2 iPod, blackberry muso and now Palm investor.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I din't know that one of Palm's major investors is Bono. That's U2 iPod, blackberry muso and now Palm investor.
Bono sounds like he has too much money and no clue. Perhaps he should buy Palm.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2010, 10:21 AM

Huh, I guess not everyone reads Engadget. I feel like I couldn’t read about Palm in the last 2 years without seeing some mention of Bono reference.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2010, 11:33 AM

Read the interview. They admited they don't have the money and have to go into frugal mode. That means no big R&D, no time to test, no money for big marketing blitz, no money for software development, they have 2 products 1 sucks the other has a horrible keyboard and cheap.
Where did it say that? All I see is "HTC declined to comment." Or are you referring to Palm?

If HTC bought Palm, I doubt they'd continue to use any of Palm's previous hardware.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 11:45 AM

Where did it say that? All I see is "HTC declined to comment." Or are you referring to Palm?

If HTC bought Palm, I doubt they'd continue to use any of Palm's previous hardware.
Wow so near 1 billion bucks JUST for an OS and some IPs. Hey if htc has the cash go for it.

Palm:
"Now, we need to be frugal and we need to invest in those areas that have the best return for us"
Palm CEO puts his cards on the table - Fortune Brainstorm Tech

What exactly as the best return for them on their only 2 products that aren't selling and sitting in warehouses since christmas?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2010, 02:04 PM

Another funny thing. Everyone assumes that Palm has some valuable IP but nobody seems to know what exactly.

Palm may be for sale, but are its patents really valuable?

Yikes.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2010, 06:41 PM

Snap
Palm's SVP of software and services takes off, others (including CFO) given cash to stick around -- Engadget

If the guy running web os bails that makes them even less appealing to buy.

This could all be over in no time.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2010, 06:55 PM

It's dead, Jim.

-t

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2010, 07:22 AM

Snap
Palm's SVP of software and services takes off, others (including CFO) given cash to stick around -- Engadget

If the guy running web os bails that makes them even less appealing to buy.

This could all be over in no time.
Indeed. At this point why pay good money when you can wait two months and pick everything you want up for beans off of the receivers.

Bit like when the Chinese pretended to be bidding for Rover in the UK, which stopped other rescue plans only to pull out and watch the company fold and pick up the remains for a song.

Bye bye Palm.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2010, 04:20 PM

It looks like they found a sucker.. I mean buyer.

HP has just announced that it's acquiring Palm to the tune of $1.2 billion, which works out to $5.70 per share of Palm common stock. The deal is planned to close by July 31, which marks the end of HP's third fiscal quarter of the year. Current Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein is "expected to remain with the company," though it's not said in what capacity.
HP buys Palm -- Engadget

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2010, 04:24 PM

For real ?

-t

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2010, 05:03 PM

Strange, I thought that HP's big spending days were over after Carly was kicked out. Wonder how many board members from that time are still present.

DrTacoMD
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2010, 05:11 PM

Geez, that wasn't even in the poll. I sure didn't see that one coming.
Trust me. I'm a Taco.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2010, 06:05 PM

Hmm. I didn't expect that, but now it makes sense, all because of one name: Dell.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2010, 06:09 PM

Well that's that.

Lets see how much that "full multitasking" checkbox pays off in HP trying to sell these new phone after iPhone 4.0 comes out.

Why HP doesn't want to use Android god only knows unless they are fed up with the Android fragmentation as well.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2010, 06:10 PM

"Current Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein is "expected to remain with the company," though it's not said in what capacity."

Receptionist? security Guard?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2010, 06:15 PM

"Current Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein is "expected to remain with the company," though it's not said in what capacity."

Receptionist? security Guard?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2010, 06:19 PM

Ok well it looks like HP wanted WebOS for tablets. HP is known for making those touchscreen desktops with custom touch UI's ontop of windows XP.

I think they know the tablet market is where it is going to and they don't want to wait around for Android or windows 8 and are making a new product based on webOS.

I don't think they should bother with phones much though.

Not too stupid of a move.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/28/h...-the-whole-po/

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2010, 06:26 PM

$1.2 billion? Was it worth that much?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2010, 06:26 PM

A webOS tablet would be amazing. webOS is probably better suited to those sort of products than Android is.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2010, 06:27 PM

I figured Gizmodo would be buying them for $5,000.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2010, 06:28 PM

Zing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules