Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lost

Lost (Page 2)
dzhim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 12:21 AM

Asked and answered already. (etc.)
Then I guess I didn't wait around quite long enough to get any answers, or even any indication that the characters actually remembered the questions, but whatever. Patience is a virtue, but not one of mine. It certainly felt like I must have waited long enough, but maybe that's just because (as invisibleX mentioned), hardly anything happened for 10-15 episodes in a row, and each episode began by pushing the cosmic reset button so that whenever anything did happen, everyone on-screen totally forgot about it. My apologies.
( Last edited by dzhim; May 26, 2005 at 12:33 AM. )

macroy
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 09:20 AM

is it just me - or was there a bizillion commercials? I was thinking perhaps that the show was SO good that time just flew by - so it seemed like there were more...

But man, I was getting a bit annoyed at that.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
Sure sure sure, the Lost season finale was interesting and all. Whatever.

But did you guys catch the commercial spots for Dancing With The Stars?! It's an international sensation, and it's finally coming to America! OMFG! I can't believe it! It's gonna totally ROCK!

how could you not catch those adverts. i waited 30 minutes before watching the show so i could fast forward all the adverts, and those dancing ones were on for ages, in fast forward!

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 10:50 AM

Is there a link yet to the Good Morning America video of the extra scene from the finale? I forgot to set the TiVo this morning.

Great season finale!

osxisfun
May 26, 2005, 12:39 PM

I'm with JHromadka, where is the new link?

If abc were super smart the repeat on sat would include it. even if it makes the episode 5 minutes longer

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 03:49 PM

Found it. 3.1MB Real file. It's a scene with Charlie and Claire talking about the French woman.

osxisfun
May 26, 2005, 03:54 PM

thanks! downloading now.

osxisfun
May 26, 2005, 03:56 PM

I hope the DVD version is FILLED with stuff like this!

PS: Save Walt!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 05:04 PM

Argg!

I just got finished watching it. SO much is left to next season!

EEeeeeeee

-Owl

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
May 26, 2005, 05:07 PM

LOST is what Giligan's Island should have been.

Great Show!
Oh, anyone else think that "They" are decendents of "Black Beard"? They were called home....

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2005, 05:17 PM

I'm skipping this whole thread since I've not seen the last episodes (recorded them). But... another vote for it being one of the best things on tv just now.

Fookin love it.
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 05:42 PM

Someone pointed this out on TV Tome, so I made an image of it

http://www.owlboy.com/misc_gallery/f...er_numbers.jpg

Gotta love the people who make this show

-Owl

andi*pandi
May 26, 2005, 07:02 PM

completely missed that! wow!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
LOST is what Giligan's Island should have been.
Actually, I'm afraid that Gilligan's Island is what Lost is going to be if Lost runs more than three seasons. I can imagine Jack and Kate finding Scooter the Space Chimp after Scooter's space capsule crash lands on the island. Sayyid manages to get the space capsule back in working order, only to have Scooter climb in a take off with out any of the cast aways! Damn the bad luck!

Seriously, I've been afraid that Lost would turn into Gilligan's Island at some point.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
Actually, I'm afraid that Gilligan's Island is what Lost is going to be if Lost runs more than three seasons. I can imagine Jack and Kate finding Scooter the Space Chimp after Scooter's space capsule crash lands on the island. Sayyid manages to get the space capsule back in working order, only to have Scooter climb in a take off with out any of the cast aways! Damn the bad luck!

Seriously, I've been afraid that Lost would turn into Gilligan's Island at some point.
hahaha

But yes, I agree that Lost can't go much more than 1 more season. And maybe, MAYBE 3 seasons. But no more.

-Owl

jonasmac  (op)
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
May 26, 2005, 08:22 PM

Thanks to you all for not spoiling it for me....Judging by most of your reactions, I won't be disappointed.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 08:33 PM

Considering they've pretty much tapped the back story stuff, 50% of each episode was flashbacks, I think this next season will wrap it up. Just isn't anything there for a 3rd season.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

meelk
Baninated
May 26, 2005, 09:09 PM

You people have very little imagination to think a hit series will wrap up in 2 seasons. I also pity the idiots who dont have an attention span thats long enough to let them enjoy the show.

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
You people have very little imagination to think a hit series will wrap up in 2 seasons.
I think everyone knows they'll milk it as long as they can. Of course, that doesn't mean they should. Artistically, it'd be nice if this show told its story and went out on top. A pipe dream, I know... after all, this is the same network that brought us "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 09:33 PM

You people have very little imagination to think a hit series will wrap up in 2 seasons. I also pity the idiots who dont have an attention span thats long enough to let them enjoy the show.
Hey, they boxed themselves in on their own they don't need me to do it for them. It's a finite story. You can only stay on the island so long, the island can only remain mysterious for so long. I'm praying they'll realize it would be better to end with 2 seasons than try an stretch it out.

osxisfun
May 26, 2005, 09:39 PM

> I'm praying they'll realize it would be better to end with 2 seasons than try an stretch it out.

that is the nuttiest statement i have seen all week. they are tv exec. for good or ill they will not after season 2 say "did we do all we can do with it? then cancel it?"

ha. never.

I also think that anyone that thinks they can not ride out for more than two years has a very limited imagincation. thankfully the writers have bigger ones.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 10:04 PM

I guess they could take it farther... but will people give up on it? Too many filler episodes?

I have seen the same thing happen with anime, only half of a season is real story, the rest is filler episodes that don't go with the big picture. Both Lost and Anime shows (on the majority) are not episodic, and they all tell one story together.

This ain't an episodic show in most ways, that makes it harder to extend it's length.

I hope it can go on as long as possible and stay good just like the next Lost fan, but I see how hard it will be to keep it going, and keep it good, and not bog it down with crap filler.

They already had a clipshow in the first season...

-Owl

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
> I'm praying they'll realize it would be better to end with 2 seasons than try an stretch it out.

that is the nuttiest statement i have seen all week. they are tv exec. for good or ill they will not after season 2 say "did we do all we can do with it? then cancel it?"

ha. never.

I also think that anyone that thinks they can not ride out for more than two years has a very limited imagincation. thankfully the writers have bigger ones.
Believe it or not they will gladly kill an expensive show once its become apparent its viewership will drop.

The same writers that wrote this season? Because while I found it do be excellent it isn't oozing imagination. I wasn't the least bit surprised at how the finale unfolded at all. I'm not saying they can't stretch it out I'm saying doing so will quickly kill it. Like OwlBoy said it isn't episodic like 99% of tv shows, it's a single cohesive story.

budster101
Baninated
May 27, 2005, 09:50 AM

Next season will be a tad violent in the beginning. My guess.
Also, they can have as many seasons as they want. Once these people leave the Island, another group will be "Invited" to play... It can go on and on for at least 4 seasons....

andi*pandi
May 27, 2005, 10:56 AM

Frankly, I thought it would be a one season thing like 24 was originally intended to be. Thought it was a great idea, no filler, wham bam, exciting TV no holds barred. I loved the first season of 24... but halfway thru the second season the shear implausibility/repetitiveness got boring to me.

That said, I love the character backstory we're getting, I could see 2 seasons... possibly three, we don't know what else is out there. I'd also love to know what's going on back on land--are they being looked for? or are they in some stasis where the rest of the world is standing still?

andi*pandi
May 27, 2005, 02:03 PM

in case anyone wants to book a flight via oceanic:

http://www.oceanic-air.com/

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 08:41 PM

Be sure to grab the "secret" script. They've scratched out the description of the "monster":

"Huge. Mechanical AND biological. Godlike and profane. A massive and multi-tentacled robotic beast resembling primordial mapinguari -- only partially obscured in a cloud of acrid smoke!"

In case no one's heard of it, a Mapinguari is like the Amazonian version Bigfoot. It's a legend -- though some claim to have seen it.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 09:36 PM

What are you talking about?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 10:49 PM

The secret that is revealed in the finale is that the writers are just making everything up as they go along. Over the course of the series, many odd things happened which raised all sorts of questions. Why is a French woman alive on the island? Why are there polar bears? Are those dinosaurs we're hearing? What is in the vault?

Not a single question was answered in the finale. There is no meaning behind the show. This summer, the producers and script writers are most likely trying to come up with some solution to bring together all of the elements. But as it stands now, I am very sure that the series was madeup as they went along.

meelk
Baninated
May 27, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
The secret that is revealed in the finale is that the writers are just making everything up as they go along. Over the course of the series, many odd things happened which raised all sorts of questions. Why is a French woman alive on the island? Why are there polar bears? Are those dinosaurs we're hearing? What is in the vault?

Not a single question was answered in the finale. There is no meaning behind the show. This summer, the producers and script writers are most likely trying to come up with some solution to bring together all of the elements. But as it stands now, I am very sure that the series was madeup as they went along.
Thats because jj abrams is in charge and he adjusts things dynamically as he goes along. Its never hurt alias, hell I love that show as well. The only so so season Alias had was season 3, when JJ was absent doing Lost, and hes been openly critical of it, and has final say on both shows now.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 10:56 PM

Wow, you are totally clueless and wrong. Mayhap you should do some research before making comments like that.

We know -- or we know what the survivors were told -- why the French woman is there.
We know why there are polar bears (a polar bear) on the island.
We know we aren't hearing dinosaurs.
We know what was under the hatch -- but not where it leads.

I don't know what show you've been watching, but if it was Lost, you either 1) weren't paying attention or 2) it went over your head.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 11:13 PM

So how does it all relate? Nothing fits together, it is all just random crap thrown together with the goal of drawing ratings.

The appeal of the show is that there might be some brilliant revelation just round the corner. Unfortunately, behind the pig noises, the polar bears, and flying trees, there is nothing.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 11:18 PM

So how does it all relate? Nothing fits together, it is all just random crap thrown together with the goal of drawing ratings.

The appeal of the show is that there might be some brilliant revelation just round the corner. Unfortunately, behind the pig noises, the polar bears, and flying trees, there is nothing.
How it all relates? Its the mystery of the island. A wee bit of a cliche thing but it wasn't the goal to reveal it, just to point out that this isn't your average island. Everything in finale was pointing out that there's something bigger than just an island with a few weird things, and that this is much much bigger than what was previously hinted at

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 11:19 PM

let's say it is all made up as it goes along. where's the problem? if that is what they are doing, they are doing a good job of it. they have me, and a lot of other people, hooked.

bring it all together nicely and they did an excellent job.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
let's say it is all made up as it goes along. where's the problem? if that is what they are doing, they are doing a good job of it. they have me, and a lot of other people, hooked.

bring it all together nicely and they did an excellent job.
All I said was that the directors were taking weird, random crap and putting it into the story. I never said that it was bad. On the contrary, I find the show to be very interesting. I do not, however, expect an interesting "revelation", as I assume the show will just keep going without answering any questions.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 11:35 PM

oh man, can you imagine how horrible it would be if there was no revelation?
the show ends the final season by asking more questions. i'd be so pissed!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 28, 2005, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
oh man, can you imagine how horrible it would be if there was no revelation?
the show ends the final season by asking more questions. i'd be so pissed!
Or worse yet, the ever popular dream sequence. Jack get woken on the plane because of some violent turbulence. He realizes the last few seasons of Lost were but a dream. Suddenly, the shaking becomes worse, and the tail section breaks off. Close up of Jack's paniced expression, then the screen goes black. That'd be a suck way to end the show.

We know it can't happen. Why? Because Jack (Matthew Fox) is incapable of showing panic. Or humor. Or shock. Or fear. Or any flipping emotion except constipation! Surely Sawyer found some exlax in the wreckage, and for next season Jack can get that whiney flippin constipated look off his face that he has every episode, have some relief, and maybe act for a change! Guy has got the dramatic range of a charcoal brickette.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 01:26 AM

Ack! Decent writers never use the "It was a dream!" device. I noticed that in the finale, they did allude to this idea though. At one point, Hugo wakes up, looking flustered and confused. He stands up and takes a few seconds to look around his room, as though he didn't know where he was. Fortunately, it was just a flashback, but they made it look as though he had just dreamt the whole series.

budster101
Baninated
May 28, 2005, 10:05 AM

How about if they find out they are on the other side of some Caribean Resort the whole time???

That would be funny.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 12:38 PM

How about if they find out they are on the other side of some Caribean Resort the whole time???

That would be funny.
Thats exactly what occurred to me part-way through the episode.

-Owl

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 28, 2005, 01:20 PM

Ack! Decent writers never use the "It was a dream!" device. I noticed that in the finale, they did allude to this idea though. At one point, Hugo wakes up, looking flustered and confused. He stands up and takes a few seconds to look around his room, as though he didn't know where he was. Fortunately, it was just a flashback, but they made it look as though he had just dreamt the whole series.

Hurley looked frustrated and confused because he didn't know what time it was. He looked around the room to see that his portable music gear caused a short, knocking out the clock, so he overslept. I didn't infer anything regarding a dream sequence, and I doubt the writers were implying any.

It all has to do with Hurley's luck and the numbers.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB

Hurley looked frustrated and confused because he didn't know what time it was. He looked around the room to see that his portable music gear caused a short, knocking out the clock, so he overslept. I didn't infer anything regarding a dream sequence, and I doubt the writers were implying any.

I was gonna say this too, but did not want to take the time to type it out

-Owl

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 02:05 PM

Here's a few spoilers I'll let you guys research for yourselves:

1) There was a flight 777 -- and it's not any plane we've seen so far.
2) There was a flight/plane switch.
3) There's a link between Locke, Kate, Michael, and a certain car.
4) A different plane -- one we haven't seen yet -- crashed on the island (before this group) with an eclectic array of "passengers". And no, we haven't seen *all* of them...

Enjoy.

Maury
( Last edited by RAILhead; May 28, 2005 at 03:12 PM. Reason: added a bit to "point" 1...)

budster101
Baninated
May 28, 2005, 02:14 PM

That's cruel.

I did see the other plane though.

What about those lottery numbers? Anyone play them? I'm going to.... <poof!>

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 03:20 PM

That's cruel.

I did see the other plane though.

What about those lottery numbers? Anyone play them? I'm going to.... <poof!>
Here's a run-down:

* The number of years ago that Locke was paralysed.
* The number of years ago that Sam Toomie committed suicide.
* Leonard was playing Connect Four.
* The number of years since Sawyer made his birthday wish.
* The number of Aces (value 1) that were on Boone’s t-shirt. Also, Boone had another t-shirt with Asian letters that say 84.
* Number of Oceanic planes on the mobile in Claire’s dream.
* Number of months Michelangelo stared at marble “working” in Locke’s story. Boone then asked if they were going to stare at the hatch for 4 months.
* Number of spots on Michael’s raft.
* A speed that Hurley’s rental car displayed as it died.

* Number of years Michael worked in construction.
* Number of years since Michael was hit by the car.
* The number of years Michael didn’t see Walt.
* The number of people who died in a fire in Hurley’s shoe factory in Canada.
* The number of months Claire was pregnant when the plane crashed.
* Boone had a t-shirt with 84 on it in Asian letters.
* Number of months Locke was talking to Helen before the crash.
* Number of days Charlie went without his guitar before Locke returned it to him.
* Number of weeks Driveshaft was going to go on tour.
* Shannon’s age when her father married Boone’s mother.
* The aisle for regulation footballs in Locke’s store.
* The person Hurley bought the scooter from had a Crazy Eight’s hat.

* The number of members of Rousseau’s research team.
* The aisle for Nerf footballs in Locke’s store.
* 14:15 was the scheduled departure time for Oceanic 815.
* Michael’s estimate of how far out to sea they were when the detected the radar blip.

* Number of years Rousseau has been on the island (after hearing the numbers transmission that brought her science team there).
* Number of circles around the outside of the Oceanic Logo.
* Number of hours the flight to L.A. was going to take.
* Number of hours after the crash when the pilot was found.
* Number of weeks the lottery hadn’t been won before Hurley won it.
* Number of years since Boone’s nanny Teresa fell down the stairs and broke her neck.
* Number of years ago that Kate buried the time capsule
* Number in hundreds that Hurley paid an old man for his scooter.

* The sum of both parts of the plane’s flight number.
* Number of the floor Hurley stayed on at a Sydney hotel.
* Number of the gate the plane took off from.
* Jack’s seat number on the plane was 23A.
* Rose and Bernard were sitting next to Jack in row 23, too.
* The reward for turning in Kate was $23,000
* The morning of their departure from Sydney, Walt woke Michael up at 5:23
A.M.
* The temperature in Hurley’s rental car when it died.

* Leonard was playing Connect 4. 42 is the number of spaces on a connect four game board.
* Rousseau wrote down the number sequence seven times, creating a matrix that totals 42.
* Ana-Lucia was sitting in seat 42F.
* Room number of Hurley’s room at the Sydney hotel.
* The distance Hurley’s rental car had travelled when it died.
* 10:42 was the scheduled arrival time of flight 815 in L.A.

* The flight number of the plane.
* The number of the safety deposit box Kate robbed.
* Charlie was trying to sell Copier model 815-C.
* The date of Kate’s time capsule is August 15, 1989, 8-15.
* The number on the building Sayid walked into in Sydney.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB

Ya no sh!t sherlock, there is no dream sequence, but for a few seconds it looked as though he had woken up from a his "Lost" experience.

Lost fans are the most ****ed up people, I'm tired of having every single thing I say being picked apart by losers who have too much interest in a mediocre TV show.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 07:41 PM

Ya no sh!t sherlock, there is no dream sequence, but for a few seconds it looked as though he had woken up from a his "Lost" experience.

Lost fans are the most ****ed up people, I'm tired of having every single thing I say being picked apart by losers who have too much interest in a mediocre TV show.

We all know it looked nothing like that.

-Owl

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 07:55 PM

Huh. Wow. Then -- if you don't want your comments picked apart -- mayhap you should think them through before posting them and we would have no reason to point out how off-base they are.

Ya know?

Maury

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 08:30 PM

I had two points, one being that Lost's story is made up of random events that as of yet have no real connection. This is true. My second point was that one scene looked a lot like an awakening from a bad dream, and this is true as well. I had no idea how much these two ideas would offend the pedantic sensibilities of the losers in this thread.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 08:46 PM

I had two points, one being that Lost's story is made up of random events that as of yet have no real connection. This is true. My second point was that one scene looked a lot like an awakening from a bad dream, and this is true as well. I had no idea how much these two ideas would offend the pedantic sensibilities of the losers in this thread.
...but yet, you keep coming back here?

Anyway, I believe I pointed out that the events you call random with no real connection are not quite so random and they are connected. Of course, I didn't dive into the details and go into any exposition on the matter because that's your job -- you're the one missing the connection, and if nothing else, you're the one *not* looking into figuring things out.

It's not my fault you don't get what's going on -- and I certainly didn't think it was my job to wipe your butt and hold your hand, walking you through everything like a child. It's just a TV show, man, if you don't get it, at least get over it.

Maury

Forum Links
Forum Rules