Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MP3 Players, CPU Usage and X.1

MP3 Players, CPU Usage and X.1 (Page 2)
Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 11:28 AM

Re: Audion 2.61 - that's more like it. Where can I get this player?
I'll buy it straight away if it really works that way.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2001, 11:28 AM

...and, for the record, the iPod isn't shipping for another ten days, either.

fitter
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 11:49 AM

Audion is available at www.panic.com/audion . There are hundreds of nice skins for it.

My first experience with Audion 2.6.1 wasn't good, I'm afraid. Initially it was using around 30-40% of the processor during playback, 5-10% when idle. I lowered the playback buffer size by about half, and CPU usage was consequently halved, actually more than halved: I'm now using about 10-15% of the CPU. I'm surprised this setting could make such a difference, given that the buffer size isn't very big to begin with; but then I don't really know very much about the ins and outs of decoding mp3s for playback. At any rate, Audion 2.6.1 is suddenly very reasonable as far as CPU usage goes.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2001, 12:01 PM

There are two major ways to reduce CPU usage in Audion. While I don't know if these will have as dramatic an impace in 2.6.1, they should have some at least.

1) Turn off scrolling text.
2) Turn off the equalizer.

That second one is a problem for a lot of people, I know, but it does drop the CPU usage significantly. However, even the first gives a nice boost.

By the way, I'd be willing to guess that adding an equalizer is going to cause iTunes2's CPU usage to increase. This may or may not be offset by other improvements; I just don't know.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by mr.strange:
<STRONG>Can one of the *cough* beta testers of iTunes 2 comment on if the cpu/mem usage has changed from version 1?</STRONG>
It seems the same as 1.0. On my 450Mhz G4 it takes between 15 - 35%.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 12:24 PM

Theory: maybe it's not the MP3 decoding that's causing the high CPU usage, but the core audio routines that actually produce sound. Most PCs offload audio to a sound card, but AFAIK Mac's handle this in the CPU.

iCartman
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 12:29 PM

By that theory playing a CD on a Mac would use at least 10% of the CPU
respect mah athoritah!

Guy Incognito
Banned
Oct 31, 2001, 12:41 PM

Holy fsck! As advertised...Audion 2.6.1 on my Dual-800 G4 stays between 5%-11% while the active app and between 2%-5% while the background. And drops to 0%-1% while idle. Clicking doesn't grind the app's graphics refresh to a halt: another welcomed addition.

THIS is how carbon apps should be coded.

Panic gets my money.

I wanna see Microshaft compare Winblows Media Prayer to Audion 2.6.1.

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2001, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by iCartman:
<STRONG>By that theory playing a CD on a Mac would use at least 10% of the CPU</STRONG>
in fact, since os 9 the cds are played numerically. Thus, the measured statistics are about 0.5% CPU usage on a PowerBook G3 300MHz when the sound output setting is set to 44.1 kHz. You end up with a far better sound (apparently).

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1187.html

you can read this page for more info about it
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

rw
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2001, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by j3kyll:
<STRONG>AroFM

Pros:

Uses as much CPU as mpg123 command line player.
Has a nice simple UI.

Cons:

Its in japanese (could someone please translate the menu items?).

J3kyll</STRONG>
I've put a translation of the menus for you on my iDisk: http://homepage.mac.com/gmugmble/FileSharing1.html

For the record, Aro-FM used 15-20% CPU, iTunes 2 used 20-25%, and Audion 2.6.1 used a whopping 45-50%, playing the same MP3 file. The test system was an iMac 500 MHz, 640 MB.

With iTunes, I found that turning off the equalizer and the "Sound Enhancer" made no appreciable difference.

---

Addendum: I see there are some tips for reducing Audion's CPU usage that I have yet to try.

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: rw ]

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: rw ]
Dang! I forgot to uncheck the "Show Signature" button again!

uochris
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2001, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by iCartman:
<STRONG>By that theory playing a CD on a Mac would use at least 10% of the CPU</STRONG>
According to top, playing an audio CD in iTunes uses 10-20% of the CPU on my 400mh firewire powerbook.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Apple doesn't read these message boards. If you have a complaint or suggestion for OS X send feedback where it will do some good.

Calli46
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2001, 06:37 PM

With iTunes, I found that turning off the equalizer and the "Sound Enhancer" made no appreciable difference.
Same experience here. Testing iTunes 2 with Top showed a CPU Usage between 7% ad 18%, most often around 12% on my G4-500 DP, while in the foreground playing a tune. Turning off the equalizer didn't change anything.
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

c4zp3rgh0zt
Nov 4, 2001, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
<STRONG>

I think we are talking about 10 to 20%.

No MP3 player uses 0% CPU.</STRONG>
Actually winamp w/ a decent CPU on win2k or winXP can make you think it's using 0%. The process viewer only shows whole # percentages so if the mp3 players CPU usage spends most of the time below 1% it will report 0%.

You need to use a tool with a finer granularity to see the actual CPU usage. On an old T-bird 1.333 you get between .5 and 1.5%... on a more recent Athlon XP 1800+ it only goes over 1% when using visualizations.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2001, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by c4zp3rgh0zt:
<STRONG>

Actually winamp w/ a decent CPU on win2k or winXP can make you think it's using 0%. The process viewer only shows whole # percentages so if the mp3 players CPU usage spends most of the time below 1% it will report 0%.

You need to use a tool with a finer granularity to see the actual CPU usage. On an old T-bird 1.333 you get between .5 and 1.5%... on a more recent Athlon XP 1800+ it only goes over 1% when using visualizations.</STRONG>
WinAmp uses less than 1% of the CPU on my P3 machine&gt;

low quality mpeg (348k) first entry at the top...

task manager

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Spliffdaddy ]

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2001, 10:24 PM

itunes uses 10-20% CPU on my Powermac G4 400 agp w/576MB RAM. That's while playing a CD.

So this isn't about MP3 decoding, it's about iTunes audio playback.

I wonder, if OS X didn't have any way to measure processor load, would threads like this exist? I don't remember anyone complaining about CPU usage in OS 9, yet the problem must have existed with 9 as well. Anyways iTunes 2 rocks, I love the EQ, and the CPU usage doesn't bother me yet.

I suspect that the reason for high CPU usage in iTunes is that macs use the CPU for audio processing, while PCs use soundcards for processing. Unfortunately, Apple seems to have no interest in using audio cards on Macs. Creative approached Apple about making the Soundblaster a BTO card, but Apple refused. Too bad, because if OS X had native support for a SBL, audio would really rock on OS X, and it wouldn't use up much CPU time.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Scrod
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2001, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
<STRONG>itunes uses 10-20% CPU on my Powermac G4 400 agp w/576MB RAM. That's while playing a CD.

So this isn't about MP3 decoding, it's about iTunes audio playback.

I wonder, if OS X didn't have any way to measure processor load, would threads like this exist? I don't remember anyone complaining about CPU usage in OS 9, yet the problem must have existed with 9 as well. </STRONG>
I don't recall feeling any slow-down in OS 9 while playing an MP3 or any audio of any sort, neither on my 200 MHz PowerMac 6500 nor on my blue & white G3, nor on my Pismo PowerBook G3.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Colonel Panic  (op)
Senior User
Nov 4, 2001, 10:46 PM

use "macload" on 9 and you'll see iTunes do the same sort of CPU hogging. you don't "feel" it, though, since the GUI isn't CPU intensive....

foamy
Senior User
Nov 4, 2001, 11:20 PM

on my g3-350, iTunes 2.0.1 uses 25-30%, while Audioin uses 20-25%, however iTunes sounds a TON better. I played the same mp3 at the same volume, then compared the two by pausing one and playing the other, then vice versa. iTunes 2.0 was much nicer sounding. The EQ of both were flat.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2001, 04:51 AM

I noticed last night that my iMac DV SE can play a DVD with as little as 40% CPU usage (althogh average is 60-80%). iTunes take average 30%.

It seems to me that the iTunes guys need to spend a few weeks learning about optimisation from the DVD guys at Apple...

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2001, 05:50 AM

On my iMac DV (400MHz) i get this in top:
655 top 10.7%
461 OmniWeb 43.1%
404 iTunes 26.7%

Top being the frontmost app, iTunes playing a 160 k/bs Song in the dock and OmniWeb having 3 windows open.

26% CPU usage for a mp3 Player is much but comparded to the 10% for top it's not that much.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2001, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by mudzilla:
<STRONG>mint!</STRONG>
I tried Mint, and my entire system almost came to a compleate halt. The mouse pointer jumped around the screen etc.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Nov 6, 2001, 06:18 AM

From the mpg123 home page:

The benchmarking lie?
Let's write a few notes about benchmarking the different mp3 decoders, which are available. 'top' is NOT a benchmark, it's a simple check on how a program performs. The sad thing with 'top' (or better the linux kernel) is, that it has some problems with the measurement of threaded programs or programs only requesting short chunks of processor time. One real test is to measure how long your machine needs to decode a stream without threads with 100% CPU. Using mpg123 you can do this with
time mpg123 -t mp3stream.mp3
or
time mpg123 -s mp3stream.mp3 &gt; /dev/null
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

kangoo_boo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2001, 12:48 PM

i have no mp3 players that doesn't skip when i switch resolution... but on OSX.
Using mpg123, xmms, winamp, etc on XP pro and Linux2.4.1X/Xfree86 4.2.
Since I do a lot of switching on linux (console/xwindow server) it is annoying. On xp it is less annoying but still. Only osx doesn't skip (and it switch resolutions so fast wah)
hotline://hl.chatonly.org
mp3://radio.chatonly.org

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2002, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by j3kyll:
<STRONG>AroFM

Pros:

Uses as much CPU as mpg123 command line player.
Has a nice simple UI.

Cons:

Its in japanese (could someone please translate the menu items?).

J3kyll</STRONG>
My Japanese is Rusty but:

First of all that's not the Aro-FM menu bar. Somehow you've gotten the Finder Menu bar in Japanese. The Aro-FM menu bar is as follows:

Aro-FM column: About Aro-FM etc.
Edit column: the usual stuff
Unknown column: grayed out
Skins: (two choices)
Control: Self-Timer; ID3 Text; Aro-FM Folder

Forum Links
Forum Rules