Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Chimera nightlies thread

Chimera nightlies thread (Page 2)
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
Rendezvous support ? what will they do with that?

There is a new menu item ("Local Servers") in the "Go" menu.

I assume it collects the addresses and names of all rendezvous enabled web-servers on the subnet.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by JLL:

You can type rendezvousname.local in the location field to access web pages on your local network.
That's part of your system's Rendezvous-enabled name resolution. You've been able to do that since upgrading to Jaguar. Chimera's Rendezvous support is what Diggory said above.
Vandelay Industries

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 04:34 PM

I was always having problems with downloads in Chimera. If any d/l took longer than a minute or two, Chimera would always lock up with a spinning wheel of death and would require a force quit. I had to keep a copy of OmniWeb around for when I wanted to download anything more than a few MBs.
However, I got Friday's nightly build, and downloads work fine!!! YAY!!! Finally!

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 11:29 PM

Man, build #V2002120804 seems super stable. I've got 12 tabs open and she ain't crashed yet

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2002, 12:20 AM

Back in mid-November, the Chimera nightlies were crashing on me like crazy. But the builds have seemed super-stable the last week or so ... no crashes at all for me.

passmaster16
Senior User
Dec 9, 2002, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by stevenhaddon:

Very true. Every time I download, I spend a little more time in Chimera.

But typing this has reminded me of one of the reasons I can't use it full time - in input boxes, the text lags behind my typing, I can see the characters appear one by one - and the cursor has some sort of weird hypnotic flicker to it...

Steve
What is the cause of this typing problem and does anybody know if and when the team plans to fix it? BTW Chimera is my primary browser now, but my biggest gripe is the slow text fields. They are doing a great job on it though, and I encourage them to keep up the good work!

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 07:24 AM

From what I've heard, the typing problems are a general thing with Gecko-based browsers. What would be really nice would be if they implemented the Apple text boxes like OmniWeb.

biscuit

xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2002, 11:40 AM

I would like to see the history in back and foward buttons.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by biscuit:
From what I've heard, the typing problems are a general thing with Gecko-based browsers. What would be really nice would be if they implemented the Apple text boxes like OmniWeb.

biscuit
The typing issues have largely disappeared on the latest nightlies. The cursor seems to be whacked once in awhile, but nothing like it was. I used to get a a text editing cursor even when going to the menu bar, it would not change to an arrow. The cursor seems to be affected by animated GIFs. Also, scrolling with animated gifs, like some of the smileys in this forum causes a bad stutter while scrolling. I have also seen clipped text, when scrolling and jpegs with white lines through them.
( Last edited by SMacTech; Dec 9, 2002 at 12:12 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2002, 12:06 PM

What's the most stable nightly? Or should I just stick with the Nov. 6 release? The few nightlies I've tried are way too unstable - random crashes on certain sites, so I've just gone back to the 0.6 release for now.

jaske
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 12:18 PM

The December 6 build seemed very stable, not one crash over two, eight hour days of usage. Today's build (12/9) is fine so far, but text entry seems to have taken a half step backwards. I'll be reinstalling the 12-6 build after I complete this post.

jaske
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 01:41 PM

Ignore that last post. Text entry is much better in the 12-9 build. I must've been using a build other than 12-6.

In fact, it's only with the recent builds that I've become a Chimera convert. I'm finally convinced that it's the best browser for OS X. The only complaint I have is the hideous icon, and the sluggishness of the history drawer. Otherwise, it's fast and renders well.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2002, 02:22 PM

The 9/12 build does indeed have improved typing, much better in fact. But I'd still like to see the standard Cocoa text entry boxes, the ones with spelll cecking...

biscuit

sdagley
Dec 9, 2002, 04:20 PM

But I'd still like to see the standard Cocoa text entry boxes, the ones with spelll cecking...
That won't happen until after Chimera 1.0.

jaske
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by sdagley:

How do you know this? Just curious.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2002, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by jaske:

How do you know this? Just curious.
He's on the developement team...

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2002, 03:17 AM

Well, this is interesting ... here's the note attached to the most recent code change currently listed in the Chimera tinderbox:

"Bump version number to 1.0fc3"

Looks like the official Chimera 1.0 is almost here. Very cool news!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2002, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by Montanan:
Well, this is interesting ... here's the note attached to the most recent code change currently listed in the Chimera tinderbox:

"Bump version number to 1.0fc3"

Looks like the official Chimera 1.0 is almost here. Very cool news!
Hate to burst your bubble, but that's for the MRJPlugin.
Vandelay Industries

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2002, 03:37 AM

D'oh!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2002, 03:40 AM

So is java going to improve soon to at least the levels of IE?

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2002, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by sdagley:
Cool, at least it'll happen eventually then.

Cheers

biscuit

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
I was always having problems with downloads in Chimera. If any d/l took longer than a minute or two, Chimera would always lock up with a spinning wheel of death and would require a force quit. I had to keep a copy of OmniWeb around for when I wanted to download anything more than a few MBs.
However, I got Friday's nightly build, and downloads work fine!!! YAY!!! Finally!
Looks like I spoke too soon. I installed the 12/9 build last night, and my downloading woes returned. Argh! Anybody know a good fix?

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 04:19 AM

Looks like I spoke too soon. I installed the 12/9 build last night, and my downloading woes returned. Argh! Anybody know a good fix?
Speed Download

sdagley
Dec 11, 2002, 12:15 PM

Please log a bug on the download component of Chimera at bugzilla.mozilla.org. Be sure to cite specific examples of downloads that display this problem. No such bug has been logged before AFAIK so without research into why it's failing for you I can't suggest a fix.

Steve

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2002, 01:25 PM

The 9/12 build does indeed have improved typing, much better in fact. But I'd still like to see the standard Cocoa text entry boxes, the ones with spelll cecking...
Carbon text boxes can have spellchecking. PowerMail, a Carbon app, recently added spellchecking into their text fields, and yes, it does go through the system spellchecker.

Mind you, I have no idea how the heck they actually managed to do this. But we now have proof: it can be done.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:

There is a new menu item ("Local Servers") in the "Go" menu.

I assume it collects the addresses and names of all rendezvous enabled web-servers on the subnet.
I don't see it (11th Dec build). I have:

user_pref("chimera.enable_rendezvous", true);

In my prefs.js and my user.js files...

Chris

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2002, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by clebin:

I don't see it (11th Dec build). I have:

user_pref("chimera.enable_rendezvous", true);

In my prefs.js and my user.js files...

Chris
That's because you don't have OS X 10.2.3. This feature requires 10.2.3 or later.
Vandelay Industries

Quinn
Dec 11, 2002, 05:14 PM

I tried Chimera a while ago but its only since the 0.6 release that I have adopted it as my main browser, replacing OmniWeb. Unfortunatly, I still have to use IE for some sites, but thats getting less and less...

A few comments/questions:

1. Is it possible to change the -Shift-[ combination to something else, to switch between tabs?

2. I'd like to see a download manager, like in OmniWeb and IE. Any plans for this?

3. History on the Back, Forward buttons but I believe that this is alreasy planned.

4. Sometimes, when I click on a link to another page, the page does not load properly, all I get is a .gif image. The title in the tab, also reflects that it has loaded a .gif image. Anyone else seen this. I'm off to have a look at the bug database in the meantime...

Other than that, I love the direction its going. The difference in speed betwen it and OmniWeb/IE is amazing!

intastella
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2002, 05:28 PM

Is that all the Rendezvous enabled version will do, check around to all the local networks for active websites? Or is there another use for it?

Don

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 11, 2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by intastella:
Is that all the Rendezvous enabled version will do, check around to all the local networks for active websites? Or is there another use for it?

Don
Isn't that a breach of privacy? I'd definitely stop using Chimera if this were the case...I don't want my boss knowing I'm surfing pr0n.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2002, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:

Isn't that a breach of privacy? I'd definitely stop using Chimera if this were the case...I don't want my boss knowing I'm surfing pr0n.
It's not looking for what people are surfing, but for local servers. So, your boss will never know.
Vandelay Industries

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2002, 08:48 PM

I read on another thread that new builds have a memory cache instead of a disk cache for superspeed when going to pages previously loaded. You have to enable this by editing the prefs right? What's the code? Huh? .......... oh wait, nevermind. I just did it with Chimerachanga! I really love that program and especially the icon.
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 11, 2002 at 09:05 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 11, 2002, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:

It's not looking for what people are surfing, but for local servers. So, your boss will never know.
But what if I'm running a secret pr0n server?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2002, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
I read on another thread that new builds have a memory cache instead of a disk cache for superspeed when going to pages previously loaded. You have to enable this by editing the prefs right? What's the code? Huh? .......... oh wait, nevermind. I just did it with Chimerachanga! I really love that program and especially the icon.
So do you really see a big difference, now? Do you turn off regular cache and just enable the memory cache?

chris_h
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2002, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:

But what if I'm running a secret pr0n server?
then you should be fired

Seamus
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2002, 02:25 PM

Scrolling is REALLY fast in the 12/11 build on my Blue and White G3...we're talking IE 5 in OS 9 fast. And the text editing problems seem to have vanished...

Now if only there was an option to open all links that would normally open in a new window in a new tab...then Chimera would be PERFECT.
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2002, 05:16 PM

And of course, the best thing about the newest nightly: spiffy new icons.

Contrary to the poster above I think Chimera has by far the best icon design of any of the browsers for the mac. imho.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 12, 2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by macaddled:

Contrary to the poster above I think Chimera has by far the best icon design of any of the browsers for the mac. imho.
Thos ugly icons have been around for about 2 weeks.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2002, 05:49 PM

Does anybody know if Chimera has changed over to a newer branch in developement over the last few days?

bhenry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2002, 10:55 PM

Any of you folks that read the logs see anything on

- the seperator for bookmarks? In them latest nightlies the grayed menu is gone.

- why the history is so slow?

- why they use XML for the bookmarks when Mozilla and others use HTML?

Not criticism, just curious.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 03:40 PM

Why is Flash so slow under Chimera? Sometimes I have to quit it.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 13, 2002, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
Why is Flash so slow under Chimera? Sometimes I have to quit it.
Not only is it slow, but in *every* browser I've tried, large Flash files crash them all.

Chimera, OmniWeb, Mozilla, IE...you name it, they crashed after 5ish minutes play.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2002, 04:02 PM

Either the Chimera team has taken a much needed early X-mas vacation, or their daily change/bug log has been moved somewhere else....

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2002, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Either the Chimera team has taken a much needed early X-mas vacation, or their daily change/bug log has been moved somewhere else....

And the winner is...

Neither, it's in the same place and has been updated today for the first time in a few days.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2002, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

And the winner is...

Neither, it's in the same place and has been updated today for the first time in a few days.
It's possible 0.7 is close. A lack of changes for several days has usually been a harbinger of a forthcoming version bump.
Vandelay Industries

lookmark
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by macaddled:

Wow, I think Chimera's icons, even in their latest version, are the most amateurish thing about it. Too much going on, and too cartoonish.

They're getting a little better, but... there's still a big gap between Chimera and Rickster's work in Omniweb, or other really well-designed apps.

edit: no offense meant to Chimera's icon designer, btw, whoever that is. I just think the icons need to get better -- esp. for such a good browser.
( Last edited by lookmark; Dec 13, 2002 at 05:50 PM. )

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2002, 05:57 PM

Wow, I think Chimera's icons, even in their latest version, are the most amateurish thing about it. Too much going on, and too cartoonish.
ChimerIcon

lookmark
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:

ChimerIcon
Well, yes, there is that option, but... I prefer to download a browser with good icons built in, instead having to scrounge around for a decent theme. And scrounge one has to; there's a whole bunch of pretty tacky ones out there.

For the record, though, Stephen Horland's "Panorama" is a nice, simple start. IMO. (It's not finished yet.)

Ah well. What can you expect at .6...

Seamus
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2002, 07:02 PM

I thought the old icons weren't that bad...and the new ones are even better. Looks far better than IE or Mozilla, that's for sure.
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2002, 07:50 PM

Now that 10.2.3 is out, how do we access the Rendevous support that was added? The Servers menu item that was in the Go menu isn't there anymore. Was the feature deactivated?

Forum Links
Forum Rules