Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is hetero-marriage all that great compared to gay-marriage?

Is hetero-marriage all that great compared to gay-marriage? (Page 2)
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Nonsense. Making gay marriage legitimate is rediculous. I made no points for you.
You made the point that the state grants civil unions and religions grant marriages. Or was that not the point of your chart there?

I have been arguing for about two years now that states get out of the business of granting marriages so you *did* support my point. Thanks!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 29, 2005, 03:02 PM

I don't have a clue as to why the state has anything to do with marriage. $.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 03:08 PM

The 'state' and government it too far involved in marriage to change it now. Taxes, medical benefits, beneficiaries, insurance plans and the like all involve marriage are state/federal regulations.

I have yet to see a reason why gay marriage should NOT be allowed. If I was was married by the state, and no church or religion was involved. I am married as far as the U S of A is concerned. Religion does not need to be part of it.

Because you hate gays and don't want them involved in your 'marriage' that is not a valid reason to me. Seems discrimination is just ok with some.

krankklown
Apr 29, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar

I have yet to see a reason why gay marriage should NOT be allowed.

I have yet to see a reason why gay marriage should BE allowed.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 04:34 PM

What as insightful statement.

I have yet to see a reason why straight marriage should BE allowed.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 29, 2005, 04:46 PM

PROCREATION. Dum bass.

loki74
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 05:15 PM

PROCREATION. Dum bass.
...um, duh? zerostar--you do know how you got here, right?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
What as insightful statement.

I have yet to see a reason why straight marriage should BE allowed.
i have yet to see a reason why this thread isn't locked.

i am going go eat an apple now.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 07:15 PM

We should just get rid of state civil unions then nobody will have anything to complain about. If people want to just call themselves married they have that right.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2005, 08:51 PM

PROCREATION. Dum bass.
You have to get married to procreate? I guess the girls in my high school didn't know that.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 08:51 PM

PROCREATION. Dum bass.
Im fairly certain this can, and has, been done without marriage.
Dumb ass.

You can use your purely religious beliefs all you like to discriminate but don't hide behind lies. You are discriminating cause you don't like them fags.
( Last edited by zerostar; Apr 29, 2005 at 08:58 PM. )

budster101
Baninated
Apr 30, 2005, 12:08 PM

AK and Zerostar:

"I'm pretty certain this can and has been done without marriage".
By gay people?

You don't need to be married to procreate. I was giving you a reason for straight marriage.
As opposed to homo-marriage, where they can just adopt and twist the minds of their adopted children.

Jac kass.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 05:23 PM

You can use your purely religious beliefs all you like to discriminate but don't hide behind lies. You are discriminating cause you don't like them.
( Last edited by zerostar; Apr 30, 2005 at 06:41 PM. )

OreoCookie
Apr 30, 2005, 06:09 PM

AK and Zerostar:

"I'm pretty certain this can and has been done without marriage".
By gay people?

You don't need to be married to procreate. I was giving you a reason for straight marriage.
As opposed to homo-marriage, where they can just adopt and twist the minds of their adopted children.

Jac kass.
And you don't need to procreate once you're married. So what exactly is your point?

Once, you claim the state should meddle in religious affairs (which is fine by me), and even question why the state should be involved at all in the institution marriage (which is non-sense).

If gays don't attempt to change the religious meaning, why should anyone stop them to change the legal meaning? I don't understand what you mean by autrocity (sic!) in that context (except for that otracity in orthography).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 06:40 PM

His point is:

'As opposed to homo-marriage, where they can just adopt and twist the minds of their adopted children.'

It is just hate.

If gays don't attempt to change the religious meaning, why should anyone stop them to change the legal meaning?
Exactly, I don't know what there is to be opposed to here. Keep your church, your religion the way you want it. Marriage is officially granted by state and you need a marriage license from THE STATE even for a religious marriage. If you want to bypass that and only do a religious wedding that is fine but it wont be recognized by the state.

So why should this be limited to hetro couples? Anyone with a real reason out there?
( Last edited by zerostar; Apr 30, 2005 at 06:47 PM. )

loki74
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 08:27 PM

ok. the fags can have their leagal rights etc. but call it something else. Not marriage. Marriage has been between a man and a woman since the institution was founded, this is true in all 3 of the major faiths (as I understand it) , and then some (and dont pull any "Im an athiest" bullsh!t either.)

So dont change the definition of a word for the very few fags we have here in America, and defile the word for the millions of straight couples. Sheesh talk about freaking selfish.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
ok. the blacks can have their leagal rights etc. but call it something else. Not unity. Unity has been between white men since the institution was founded, this is true in all 3 of the major faiths (as I understand it) , and then some (and dont pull any "Im an athiest" bullsh!t either.)

So dont change the definition of a word for the very few blacks we have here in America, and defile the word for the millions of whites. Sheesh talk about freaking selfish.
Change a few nouns and it doesn't sound so great anymore, does it? It's separate but equal all over again. Learn from history, don't repeat it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

zerostar
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Change a few nouns and it doesn't sound so great anymore, does it? It's separate but equal all over again. Learn from history, don't repeat it.

Thats what I was thinking when reading that post.

Yose
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 01:39 AM

If government gets out of marriage and only grants civil-unions I would imagine it would be easier for those support same-sex marriage to come together and form a new church. Actually, I believe it's already happened with the United Church (correct me if I'm wrong).

If this comes to pass, will those who are against the state "sanctifying" same-sex marriage stop arguing because a seperate church/religious institution is performing them? At that point what business is it of anybodies what another that religious institution does within the confines of the law?
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules