Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Why would anyone buy a new Powermac G5?

Why would anyone buy a new Powermac G5? (Page 2)
mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2006, 04:59 PM

That's exactly the problem. It sounds like Logic is not multithreaded so it can only use one core (50% of two cores or 25% of four cores). Try doubling the complexity of the project and see if the CPU usage goes over 25%.

madmanXwater
Jan 23, 2006, 01:48 AM

Ok, I'll try some tests tomorrow and see what happens. I'll load it up as much as I can until it gives up and cuts out. From what I remember though, the load was spread across all four cores when I did my first test a few weeks ago. I may be wrong. Any advice anyone can give me, or what I should try to do would be great.

Thanks,

Mike
17" MacBook Pro Core Duo 1GB/120Mb

madmanXwater
Jan 23, 2006, 11:17 AM

Well I’ve been working on the Quad this morning trying to max out the CPUs while running Logic Pro. So far I have to say that Logic Pro is multi-threaded and uses all four cores on the Quad. I currently have it playing a project with 50 tracks of audio, 122 effects (20 Space Designers!) and 15 virtual instruments. That’s a ton if you ask me. The Activity Monitor shows Logic Pro using around 240% and the system idle % at 40. All four cores are showing around the same activity. The whole system still feels very snappy; windows move and draw very fast. There are no audio drops or pop & clicks of any kind. In fact it’s at the point where I don’t know what else to add and don’t think I would ever use this many effects at once.

So as far as I can tell, Logic Pro runs fantastic on the Quad. I never seem to run out of power and all four cores show activity. And under such a big load the whole system still feels very fast, is that not multi-threading? How do you max this thin out?

Any comments?

Mike

goofticket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by cejones
Seeing the amazing improvements of the iMac and Powerbooks with the Intel CoreDuo chips, why would anyone want to spend $2000 or more on a G5 powermac at this time?

If you wait a few more months, the new revision of the Powermac with Intel will be available for the same price and probably 2-3 times the CPU power.

It was great to see Steve Jobs tout the great improvements for the new Intel enabled macs, but he also has shown how crappy the G5 processor is and convinced me to wait for the next update...
So they can drive the $12,000 imagesetter and maybe, even the million dollar Heidelberg digital press!

Or edit that weekly TV show on HD.

Or master a new album for some hip-hopper.

Or invest in Pixar before Disney buys it, and you'll have enough cash to get a new Itel PowerMac

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 11:51 AM

The Intel-based Powermacs are useless to me until Adobe/Quark release the Intel-native versions of their respective software titles. Until that happens (which I would think is in a year's time or so) there's absolutely no reason for me to work on any machine other than a PPC Powermac.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by madmanXwater
Well I’ve been working on the Quad this morning trying to max out the CPUs while running Logic Pro. So far I have to say that Logic Pro is multi-threaded and uses all four cores on the Quad. I currently have it playing a project with 50 tracks of audio, 122 effects (20 Space Designers!) and 15 virtual instruments. That’s a ton if you ask me. The Activity Monitor shows Logic Pro using around 240% and the system idle % at 40. All four cores are showing around the same activity. The whole system still feels very snappy; windows move and draw very fast. There are no audio drops or pop & clicks of any kind. In fact it’s at the point where I don’t know what else to add and don’t think I would ever use this many effects at once.

So as far as I can tell, Logic Pro runs fantastic on the Quad. I never seem to run out of power and all four cores show activity. And under such a big load the whole system still feels very fast, is that not multi-threading? How do you max this thin out?

Any comments?

Mike
Wow. That's my comment. Keep adding Space Designers until it craps out. Let's see how many it'll run.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 01:15 PM

20 Space Designers is a pretty good indication of its power with 50 tracks.

But let's get crazy. I haven't done a really big project since
"One with Everything" (go to http://www.ct-collective.com/ and
click on the "product" project and the first track, "One With Everything"
which was 40+ tracks with 22 effects plug-ins). That was with a G4/400
with 2 gigs of ram and 320 gigs of HD space.

The biggest project I did with my dual G5 so far was 80 tracks (40 stereo) with
multiple software synths and effects but I've not REALLY gone too far to stress
the machine.

So, shall we set criteria for a project to see how far we can push it?
120 tracks minimum? It could be a mess but might be fun.

How about EVERY instrument be virtual except for a dozen or two?

How about EVERY instrument be processed with a CPU hungry reverb
plug-in?

I can host the finished MP3 files for peoples amusement too.

madmanXwater
Jan 23, 2006, 03:00 PM

Todd, as fun a that sounds I’m not going to go to that much trouble. I think I’ve proven (at least to myself) that the Quad and Logic are friends. All four cores are happy and there is more power than most people would know what to do with. If there are even more optimizations to come for Logic that’s even better. But I’m more than satisfied with how well they perform today.

Thanks again,

Mike

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2006, 06:57 PM

If you're seeing over 100% then it sounds like at least parts of the app (probably the most important ones) are multithreaded. Being multithreaded doesn't make the system more responsive. A single threaded app can only use one core, so three would be left idle for the rest of the system to use; a multi threaded app could use all of the cores.

swampfoot77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
If you're seeing over 100% then it sounds like at least parts of the app (probably the most important ones) are multithreaded. Being multithreaded doesn't make the system more responsive. A single threaded app can only use one core, so three would be left idle for the rest of the system to use; a multi threaded app could use all of the cores.
But doesn't the cpu indicator only see a dual in Logic, this suggests that this is all Logic sees.

Even if some of the Quad is used, what's the chances of a logic upgrade to optimize, Nil I guess now the intel platform is avaialble in Feb, they'll have their hand full with supporting this !

madmanXwater
Jan 24, 2006, 12:28 PM

Yes, Logic only shows two bars on it's System Performace monitor. But all four cores are showing equal use on the Activity Monitor in OSX. Based on my tests, the power seems to be available to Logic I just don't think the Logic code has been updated yet to show the four cores. I'm guessing that the next update will show four bars.

swampfoot77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2006, 06:19 AM

Yes, Logic only shows two bars on it's System Performace monitor. But all four cores are showing equal use on the Activity Monitor in OSX. Based on my tests, the power seems to be available to Logic I just don't think the Logic code has been updated yet to show the four cores. I'm guessing that the next update will show four bars.
Ok I get it, so the point is when Logic's Dual CPU Monitor registers 100% there is still plenty of CPU left in the 4 cores.

From your assessments, how much is left ?

I've bought the Timewarp 2600 plug-in, that is one heavy app, Tell me do AU plug-ins tax the RAM/CPU seperately to Logic and hence use the extra headroom, or are they inclusive in the Logic CPU Monitor figure ?

bourgeoisie
Jan 25, 2006, 04:41 PM

you people make my brain hurt. why not just buy the prettier one and call it a day?
green links don't belong to me!

swampfoot77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by bourgeoisie
you people make my brain hurt. why not just buy the prettier one and call it a day?

The subtext of this debate is as follows. Apple brought Logic 'in-house' as a leading app for the Mac. It also shifts units on the basis of continuing high performance development of both hardware and software. Its obvious now that the intel timetable will be much more aggresive than first envisaged and that the Quad is an interesting detour but not part of the ongoing strategy, hence no Logic 7.1.2 upgrade for Quad.

The jokes on me, I bought one !

madmanXwater
Jan 26, 2006, 11:50 AM

"The jokes on me, I bought one !"

Are you saying that you're not getting the performance you expected from the Quad? Just because the little bar in Logic doesn't show all four cores?

swampfoot77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 05:38 PM

"The jokes on me, I bought one !"

Are you saying that you're not getting the performance you expected from the Quad? Just because the little bar in Logic doesn't show all four cores?
No, as a new Quad/Logic User is didn't know what to expect, but had I known I may have saved myself $900 and bought a new dual instead. Thats my question.

Overall rationale;

1) I bought a new Mac to run Logic Pro which is the best seq.

2) I bought a Power PC Mac OSX as I run variuos plug-ins which I'm very attached to ; e.g. Waldorf PPG 2.2V which isn't even Audio Unit but which runs fine through the fexpansion adaptor.

3) Moving forward with Intel OS updates and Rosetta I realised if I didn't buy now, chances are I wouldn't ever get this stuff working in the future.

4) From the pace of events; i) Feb launch of Intel Logic, ii) No announcement on Logic optimisation for Quad, I reluctantly conclude the following;

Future upgrades of OSX may crash my plugins therefore I will proceed carefully

Future upgrades of Logic pro will crash my plugins, 7.1 did despite supposed upgrades from the plugin developers (some still don't work properly)

Bright side - All the early adopters of intel/logic macs will have exactly the same problems (Ha Ha !)

No Regrets !

Forum Links
Forum Rules