Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Creating a Website: What to Use (not much tech knowledge)

Creating a Website: What to Use (not much tech knowledge) (Page 2)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
Pages has the worst html export

Haven't tried Pages.

I think the award for best HTML export goes to OpenOffice.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2006, 05:42 PM

FrontPage works for 95% of internet users 100% of the time. There doesn't exist another application that requires so little knowledge for such widespread acceptance.

I don't care if there's a stigma attached to using FrontPage. The only other alternative is to learn HTML - and even that's no guarantee it'll look good in 95% of internet user's browsers.

Besides, all web designers have a holier-than-thou attitude about newbie web designer's efforts. That doesn't change the fact that most web designers are dead broke (AND under 20 years of age).

Super Mario
Apr 1, 2006, 05:48 PM

BULLTITS!

I have found that as I am learning xhtml and css that experienced developers are the most generous and sharing people on the net (the reason I got interested in learning). They share so many resources for free and if you have any problem they fix things for you quick time. Go to css.play.co.uk .... that guy is 59 years old and a real genius. His work is amazing and he shares it with everyone. He is not the only one. I can't wait until I'm knowledgable enough to learn java and Ruby On Rails.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:25 PM. )

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
FrontPage works for 95% of internet users 100% of the time. There doesn't exist another application that requires so little knowledge for such widespread acceptance.

I don't care if there's a stigma attached to using FrontPage. The only other alternative is to learn HTML - and even that's no guarantee it'll look good in 95% of internet user's browsers.
It also requires a Windows server, with FrontPage extensions installed, people where talking about using mod_rewrite on an Apache server. Is the site even hosted on an Windows server?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
It also requires a Windows server, with FrontPage extensions installed,
Yep. Doesn't exactly qualify for clean stand-alone HTML...

-t

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I'll send you the email address of the guy who is doing the graphics for a site I am writing articles at. He's a super professional. Will do any graphics you want in exchange for a credit and link to his site.
Thank you so much. I am VERY happy with his design. Such a professional guy. He gave me lots of ideas and options. He did an amazing job and in only a few days.

Super Mario
Apr 8, 2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
Thank you so much. I am VERY happy with his design. Such a professional guy. He gave me lots of ideas and options. He did an amazing job and in only a few days.
Ya he's fast. Quicker than Quicktime Pro
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:06 PM. )

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 11:24 AM

Ok, now that I've got the logo, I still need to add a gallery to my Joomla site.

Does anyone know how to set up a flash slideshow from couloir.org? Click on "About this Slideshow" and you can download the source file. Everything is there, but I don't know how to set it up in Joomla.

Super Mario
Apr 12, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
Ok, now that I've got the logo, I still need to add a gallery to my Joomla site.

Does anyone know how to set up a flash slideshow from couloir.org? Click on "About this Slideshow" and you can download the source file. Everything is there, but I don't know how to set it up in Joomla.
That's such a cool find Iceman. The only thing Flash in that is the sound fx. The rest is a scriptlicious java script.

Look at the index html file between the <body> and </body> tags. That's the css id tags and javascript you have to put in your site. Find a location and it has to go there. If you don't know how to then ask our friend if he has time or the other best option the Web Developer forum.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:01 PM. )

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks Super Mario. Yeah, someone else told me that it's actually not flash. I'm still learning.

Forum Links
Forum Rules