Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Add Mexico to U.S.

Add Mexico to U.S. (Page 2)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post
OK, to begin with, this thread is ridiculous.

I am Mexican, born and raised. I also got my Ph.D. and did a postdoc in the US: eight years altogether living in two different states (Wisconsin and Iowa),I´ve also travelled all over the country, so I know what the US is about. I had the chance to stay, but I am now back in Mexico, I couldn´t stand the Bush-induced xenophobia and, more than that, the stupidity and mentality that gives rise to comments such as the one that started this thread.

Who or what in earth makes you think that we would like to join the US??

We may be poor, corrupt, whatever. We are aware of that, and unbeknownst to you, there are many of us here that are trying to change things. Mexico is a beautiful country, and the fact that some areas lack the sanitized, generic, plastic-like landscape of the US, does not make us an undesirable place to live.

We are proud to be Mexicans. We are proud of our country, traditions, history, and culture. We have survived the unrelented imperialism of the US and other powers in the 19th and 20th century, the same imperialism and ethnocentricity that caused us to lose more than half of our territory to the "peaceful and friendly" country up north, in an uncalled, uneven and abusive war. And, if you knew your history, you´d be aware of the abuses and genocide against both mexicans and native americans that took place on those territories after they were taken away from us. And you should NOT be proud of that.

So, take your so-called "culture", based more on buying a gas-guzzling SUV and whatever crap is advertised on TV than actual history and traditions. Take your thanksgiving, superbowl, star-spangled banner, take your stupid isolationism and the stupid idea that your country is the best in the world and keep it. Nobody else wants it. Wake up to the fact that the only reason that you get immigrants is because people can make money over there, that´s it. That´s the bottom line.

These stupid notions are a significant part of that arrogance and idiocy that makes the US the most hated country in the world.

And I have family in the US, and some of my very best friends live there, and I do visit them as often as I can. However, they think for themselves and acknowledge the fact that every country is great, has good and bad things, and everybody is proud of their country, culture and identity. They don´t have to put the rest of the world down to be proud of being Americans. They are a part of the world, not their owners. And there are many people like this in the US; but stupid idiots like the one that started the thread (and the others that actually followed the line of thought) give your country and your people a terrible reputation.

Keep it up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2007, 12:21 AM

I am Mexican, born and raised. I also got my Ph.D. and did a postdoc in the US: eight years altogether living in two different states (Wisconsin and Iowa),I´ve also travelled all over the country, so I know what the US is about. I had the chance to stay, but I am now back in Mexico, I couldn´t stand the Bush-induced xenophobia and, more than that, the stupidity and mentality that gives rise to comments such as the one that started this thread.

Did you always get so morally indignant at innocent questions, or did you learn that while you were here? If this is your attitude towards ignorance, I pray to all that is holy you don't use those degrees of yours to teach.

As to the Bush-induced xenophobia, how is it that in eight years it was "unbeknownst to you, there are many of us here that are trying to change things". You may have noticed some success with that during the last election. Apparently without your help, since you took what you needed and left.

If these are your reasons for leaving, frankly I'm glad you're gone.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2007, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
THe currency is different. Even though the mexican peso is almost exactly ten to a dollar, it would take way too much time and effort to distribute the US dollar around and get rid of the peso.

Been to Mexico much?
The idea that anyone is clamoring for pesos, or that it's hard to distribute American dollars is laughable.

As for the topic, I would never want the mess that is Mexico (politically) to be part of the US.

I just wish more Mexicans would stop being so full of themselves and demand change, and overthrow the corrupt druglords and criminal government that rules your country. Yes, Mr. "educated in the US" this means you too. Your country isn't poor- your country is one of the richest nations in the world.

Your government merely floats the illusion that its a poor nation in order to continue screwing over the people and stealing all the nation's wealth, and have idiot Americans bamboozled into thinking it's their responsibility to provide for Mexico's poor, rather than an ULTRA WEALTHY nation taking freakin' care of its own.

Mexico doesn't need to be part of the US, Mexico needs to grow the F up and become the well off nation it should already be.

cohvictory
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2007, 10:00 AM

Such is the fate of the US. Always condemned for what we do or dont do. People beg for our help every day. If we refuse to help we are mother , and if we help we are arrogant mother that think the world needs saving. Here is a dandy 'closed minded', but rapidly growing notion: help our own and let the rest take care of thier own problems.

BTW...Voicesinmyhead, If mexico is sooooooo grand why did you bother comin here? Doesnt Mexico have some sort of higher education system you could have used?

Boy did u hit the nail on the head tford8,... u did open a can of worms

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by cohvictory View Post
BTW...Voicesinmyhead, If mexico is sooooooo grand why did you bother comin here? Doesnt Mexico have some sort of higher education system you could have used?
I imagine it was for the same reason that I went to China to study Chinese: I like going to new places and experiencing new things, and China is a better place to learn Chinese than America.

Amazingly enough, just because you choose to live somewhere temporarily doesn't mean that you approve of everything about that place.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 11:28 AM

Yeah, but he openly hates America. I don't think you hate China.

Add annexing that wasteland of corruption to the south to the list of the worst ideas for America, along with socialized medicine. I have nothing against the Mexican people, but hot damn Mexico is a living joke. You proud mexicans have allowed your country to be absolutely decimated and inherently corrupted by drugs, you have some of the very worst income inequality and land distribution in the world and you can't even have a competitive presidential election without the losing side vowing to murder the victor. You cannot breathe the air in Mexico City or safely take a taxi. You have a third world country there, and like many other third world countries you'd like to drag America down to your level. If building a Berlin wall would be the polar opposite approach to annexing Mexico, then sign me up to start laying the bricks. Even a "North American Union" sends shivers down my spine.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 7, 2007 at 11:34 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 12:33 PM

Who or what in earth makes you think that we would like to join the US??

So, take your so-called "culture", based more on buying a gas-guzzling SUV and whatever crap is advertised on TV than actual history and traditions. Take your thanksgiving, superbowl, star-spangled banner, take your stupid isolationism and the stupid idea that your country is the best in the world and keep it. Nobody else wants it. Wake up to the fact that the only reason that you get immigrants is because people can make money over there, that´s it. That´s the bottom line.

Keep it up.
Mexico City has the worst air pollution in the country and ranks among the most polluted cities in the world. Its ozone levels exceed World Health Organization standards 300 days a year, and SEMARNAT has estimated that the air in Ciudad Juarez is 40% less contaminated than in the capital. Exhaust fumes from Mexico City's estimated 4 million motor vehicles, many of which are old and especially environmentally damaging, are the main source of air pollutants. The city's air problem is aggravated by its unique geography. Mexico City resides in a basin more than 7,400 feet above sea level and is surrounded on three sides by mountains. These isolate the city from regional weather disturbances and trap pollution.

Crime is among the most urgent concerns facing Mexico, as is the case for many other Latin American countries. Mexican drug trafficking rings play a major role in the flow of cocaine, heroin, and marijuana transiting between Latin America and the United States. Drug trafficking has led to corruption, which has had a deleterious effect on Mexico's democracy. Drug trafficking and organized crime have also been a major source of violent crime in Mexico.
Mexico has experienced increasingly high crime rates, especially in major urban centers. The country's great economic polarization has stimulated criminal activity in the lower socioeconomic strata, which includes the majority of the country's population. Crime continues at high levels, and is repeatedly marked by violence, especially in Mexico City, Tijuana, Ciudad Juárez, Nuevo Laredo, and the state of Sinaloa. Other metropolitan areas have lower, yet still serious, levels of crime. Low apprehension and conviction rates contribute to the high crime rate.
The high incidence of crime in Mexico has also poured across the border and influenced crime in the United States, aggravating problems including drugs, illegal immigration, and gangs. To combat this increasing problem, cross-border cooperation has increased between law enforcement agencies in the United States and Mexico in recent years.

Mexican police regularly obtain information through torture and prosecutors use this evidence in courts. The Mexican Constitution and the law prohibit torture, and Mexico is party to several international anti-torture conventions, but courts continue to admit as evidence confessions extracted under torture. Authorities rarely punish officials for torture, which continues to occur in large part because confessions are the primary evidence in many criminal convictions. U.S. citizens have been brutalized, beaten, and even raped while in police custody. Since the beginning of 2002, 21 U.S. citizens have died in Mexican prisons, including five apparent homicides

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Sporadic outbursts of politically motivated violence occur from time to time in certain areas of the country, particularly in the southern states of Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca.

Demonstrations: The Mexican Constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners, and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation. Travelers should avoid political demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by the Mexican authorities. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations, and to exercise caution if in the vicinity of any protests.

Chiapas: The Department of State recommends U.S. citizens traveling to the southern state of Chiapas remain cautious at all times. Armed rebels and armed civilian groups are present in some areas of the state, and there is often no effective law enforcement or police protection. Violent criminal gang activity along the state’s southern border – mostly aimed at illegal migrants – continues to be a concern. U.S. citizens traveling to Chiapas are encouraged to contact the U.S. Embassy for further security information prior to traveling to the region.

No wonder you visit the United States every chance you get.
( Last edited by Orion27; Mar 7, 2007 at 12:40 PM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Yeah, but he openly hates America. I don't think you hate China.
Hating America has become such a meaningless phrase. Obviously he doesn't hate everything about America. He likes many of the people he met here, and hates America little enough that he's happy to come here to visit them. I'm sure he hates some of the things our government has done and is doing, but the same can be said of any American citizen. Seems to me that all he really hates is what appears to be the prevailing popular culture. And you know what? So do I really. How can you feel any other way about a culture that looks down on intellectual achievement and overt intelligence? A culture that idolizes and nearly worships a man who makes a point of acting like a moron to the point that they actually elected him president. Say what you will about Bush, but no matter how much you like or dislike his policies, how can you like the fact that America elected a man who appears, purposefully or not, to be an idiot?

And in as much as China also has those things I hate about America, I also hate China. Of course in China it's much less valid to blame the Chinese people for the problems with their country.
( Last edited by nonhuman; Mar 7, 2007 at 12:58 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
How can you feel any other way about a culture that looks down on intellectual achievement and overt intelligence? A culture that idolizes and nearly worships a man who makes a point of acting like a moron to the point that they actually elected him president.
I don't think that's fair at all. America elected and reelected President Bush because the Democrats offered only hard-line leftists, Gore and Kerry, as alternatives. If they had found another Bill Clinton, the Democrats probably would have prevailed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Hating America has become such a meaningless phrase. Obviously he doesn't hate everything about America. He likes many of the people he met here, and hates America little enough that he's happy to come here to visit them. I'm sure he hates some of the things our government has done and is doing, but the same can be said of any American citizen. Seems to me that all he really hates is what appears to be the prevailing popular culture. And you know what? So do I really. How can you feel any other way about a culture that looks down on intellectual achievement and overt intelligence? A culture that idolizes and nearly worships a man who makes a point of acting like a moron to the point that they actually elected him president. Say what you will about Bush, but no matter how much you like or dislike his policies, how can you like the fact that America elected a man who appears, purposefully or not, to be an idiot?

And in as much as China also has those things I hate about America, I also hate China. Of course in China it's much less valid to blame the Chinese people for the problems with their country.
From its emergence as an independent nation, the United States has encouraged science and invention. It has done this by promoting a free flow of ideas, by encouraging the growth of "useful knowledge," and by welcoming creative people from all over the world. The bulk of Research and Development funding (69%) comes from the private sector, rather than from taxes.[1]
The United States Constitution itself reflects the desire to encourage scientific creativity. It gives Congress the power "to promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries." This clause formed the basis for the U.S. patent and copyright systems, which ensured that inventions and other creative works could not be copied or used without the creator's receiving some kind of compensation.

As in physics and chemistry, Americans have dominated the Nobel Prize for physiology or medicine since World War II. The private sector has been the the focal point for biomedical research in the United States, and has played a key role in this achievement. As of 2000, for-profit industry funded 57%, non-profit private organizations such as the Howard Hughes Medical Institute funded 7%, and the tax-funded National Institutes of Health funded 36% of medical research in the U.S.[2] However, by 2003, the NIH funded only 28% of medical research funding; funding by private industry increased 102% from 1994 to 2003.[3]

Just what were you saying about looking down on intellectual achievement and "overt"
intelligence? How utterly discredited do you feel now?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Orion27 View Post
Just what were you saying about looking down on intellectual achievement and "overt"
I was talking about popular culture, not the tiny percentage of people who have enough money to fund scientific research. Two completely different things.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't think that's fair at all. America elected and reelected President Bush because the Democrats offered only hard-line leftists, Gore and Kerry, as alternatives. If they had found another Bill Clinton, the Democrats probably would have prevailed.
Ok, fair point. The Democrats are probably much more responsible for Bush's election and re-election than the Republicans. Hell, I voted for Bush the first time more because I didn't like Gore. The second time I just didn't vote because I couldn't bring myself to vote either for Bush a second time or Kerry at all (in both cases it didn't matter as I was voting in Minnesota and California respectively).

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 02:23 PM

From its emergence as an independent nation, the United States has encouraged science and invention. It has done this by promoting a free flow of ideas, by encouraging the growth of "useful knowledge," and by welcoming creative people from all over the world. The bulk of Research and Development funding (69%) comes from the private sector, rather than from taxes.[1]
The United States Constitution itself reflects the desire to encourage scientific creativity. It gives Congress the power "to promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries." This clause formed the basis for the U.S. patent and copyright systems, which ensured that inventions and other creative works could not be copied or used without the creator's receiving some kind of compensation.

As in physics and chemistry, Americans have dominated the Nobel Prize for physiology or medicine since World War II. The private sector has been the the focal point for biomedical research in the United States, and has played a key role in this achievement. As of 2000, for-profit industry funded 57%, non-profit private organizations such as the Howard Hughes Medical Institute funded 7%, and the tax-funded National Institutes of Health funded 36% of medical research in the U.S.[2] However, by 2003, the NIH funded only 28% of medical research funding; funding by private industry increased 102% from 1994 to 2003.[3]

How many other responses have you given without copying them from somewhere else, and not given proper attribution?

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
How many other responses have you given without copying them from somewhere else, and not given proper attribution?
I know the truth hurts. Do your own research to refute my statements. I know it's difficult for you to read stats that disprove your preconceived notions about how terrible we are as people. You are are one relentless downer. You and VoicesinmyHead make a great pair. Simply pathetic.

Science and technology in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mexico
( Last edited by Orion27; Mar 7, 2007 at 03:24 PM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 03:53 PM

I know the truth hurts. Do your own research to refute my statements. I know it's difficult for you to read stats that disprove your preconceived notions about how terrible we are as people. You are are one relentless downer. You and VoicesinmyHead make a great pair. Simply pathetic.

Mexico
Blindness to our own flaws is what prevents us from improving.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 06:22 PM

Mexico
You have an amazing ability to gloss over what you don't want to answer. Instead of rebutting my point, which was quite obviously that you plagiarised something without attributing it to its proper source, you go on to attack me. Read this slowly, real slowly; what you posted are not your statements! They came from Wikipedia, which you did not give proper attribution to (until you got busted)! That's the point! It makes one wonder how much of your other endless blathering is not copied from some place on the web, and it most certainly shows your level of originality and ability to bring anything other than someone else's points to the discussion. Of course you have a point as well, but if you keep your hat on, nobody will notice!

Railroader
Banned
Mar 7, 2007, 08:01 PM

You have an amazing ability to gloss over what you don't want to answer. Instead of rebutting my point, which was quite obviously that you plagiarised something without attributing it to its proper source, you go on to attack me. Read this slowly, real slowly; what you posted are not your statements! They came from Wikipedia, which you did not give proper attribution to (until you got busted)! That's the point! It makes one wonder how much of your other endless blathering is not copied from some place on the web, and it most certainly shows your level of originality and ability to bring anything other than someone else's points to the discussion. Of course you have a point as well, but if you keep your hat on, nobody will notice!
KarlG speaketh the truth.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 08:13 PM

Listen you whimpering simpleton, I have limited time on my hands to counter the BS you defend and or tender as fact. Anyone, even you could see the footnotes. I should have given an attribution if not only in deference to your abjectivity but perhaps offering a token to your enlightenment. You gotta do better than this. Pathetic. Not that Wikipedia is peer reviewed and not open to challenges or the fact the critique of Mexico was taken from a State Department document, which I'm sure is equally suspect despite being run by Liberal Careerists. Don't forget to take your med's. Depression kills.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 09:08 PM

You're an amazing person. You get caught plagiarising, and you still attempt to turn it around to your advantage. Just keep attacking; it shows who's really angry and needs depression meds. While you're at your internet psychoanalyzing, you might want to look in the mirror; of course I suspect you don't have one, because what you see might not be pleasant.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 09:18 PM

You're an amazing person. You get caught plagiarising, and you still attempt to turn it around to your advantage. Just keep attacking; it shows who's really angry and needs depression meds. While you're at your internet psychoanalyzing, you might want to look in the mirror; of course I suspect you don't have one, because what you see might not be pleasant.
KarlG: You're a broken record. You don't even know the definition of:
plagiarism |ˈplājəˌrizəm| noun the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own. Attribution: any dictionary

Railroader
Banned
Mar 7, 2007, 09:33 PM

No, he pretty much nailed it.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 7, 2007, 09:35 PM

Listen you whimpering simpleton, I have limited time on my hands to counter the BS you defend and or tender as fact. Anyone, even you could see the footnotes. I should have given an attribution if not only in deference to your abjectivity but perhaps offering a token to your enlightenment. You gotta do better than this. Pathetic. Not that Wikipedia is peer reviewed and not open to challenges or the fact the critique of Mexico was taken from a State Department document, which I'm sure is equally suspect despite being run by Liberal Careerists. Don't forget to take your med's. Depression kills.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 09:44 PM

Keep attacking. There are several posts in this thread alone that were obviously taken from somewhere else, which you admitted, yet they weren't given credit as to where they came from. You passed them off as if they were your own. You're busted, plain and simple. You have no credibility here, plain and simple. You claim you didn't have time to reply, yet you have time to scour the web and find something that you agree with, and pass it off as your own. If I had done the same thing, you'd be all over me like flies on sh!t, but when you get caught you attempt to deflect the blame. Then you have the audacity to tell me what the definition of plagiarism is, as if I didn't know, and can't even see that plagiarism is exactly what you did. You obviously never had any school debating classes, and you were also obviously asleep in any ethics courses you took, if you took any in the first place. Are you really that stupid? Is your obvious anger so deep that you can't see what's going on? You can, and obviously do, disagree with me, and that's fine. That doesn't give you the right to take someone else work and pass it off as your own! That's not defending or debating anybody; that's stealing intellectual property, period! This is one for the record books! An obvious plagiarizer telling me that I don't know the definition, while he's doing it, as plainly as the nose on his face. Simply astonishing!

I'm done with you and your plagiarizing. If you want to keep attacking, so be it, as you've destroyed any credibility you have here, and it's quite obvious that I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
At least someone agrees with me the only thing between a cat's ears is Kitty Gourmet

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 10:06 PM

Keep attacking. There are several posts in this thread alone that were obviously taken from somewhere else, which you admitted, yet they weren't given credit as to where they came from. You passed them off as if they were your own. You're busted, plain and simple. You have no credibility here, plain and simple. You claim you didn't have time to reply, yet you have time to scour the web and find something that you agree with, and pass it off as your own. If I had done the same thing, you'd be all over me like flies on sh!t, but when you get caught you attempt to deflect the blame. Then you have the audacity to tell me what the definition of plagiarism is, as if I didn't know, and can't even see that plagiarism is exactly what you did. You obviously never had any school debating classes, and you were also obviously asleep in any ethics courses you took, if you took any in the first place. Are you really that stupid? Is your obvious anger so deep that you can't see what's going on? You can, and obviously do, disagree with me, and that's fine. That doesn't give you the right to take someone else work and pass it off as your own! That's not defending or debating anybody; that's stealing intellectual property, period! This is one for the record books! An obvious plagiarizer telling me that I don't know the definition, while he's doing it, as plainly as the nose on his face. Simply astonishing!

I'm done with you and your plagiarizing. If you want to keep attacking, so be it, as you've destroyed any credibility you have here, and it's quite obvious that I'm not the only one who thinks so.
You're simply laughable. I've never claimed any work which was not my own. And your trying to make example is pitiful. Attack the messenger not the message. It's classic.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 10:12 PM

KarlG
"I'm done with you and your plagiarizing. If you want to keep attacking, so be it, as you've destroyed any credibility you have here, and it's quite obvious that I'm not the only one who thinks so."

You and who else?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 10:32 PM

quote:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
Mexico City has the worst air pollution in the country and ranks among the most polluted cities in the world. Its ozone levels exceed World Health Organization standards 300 days a year, and SEMARNAT has estimated that the air in Ciudad Juarez is 40% less contaminated than in the capital. Exhaust fumes from Mexico City's estimated 4 million motor vehicles, many of which are old and especially environmentally damaging, are the main source of air pollutants. The city's air problem is aggravated by its unique geography. Mexico City resides in a basin more than 7,400 feet above sea level and is surrounded on three sides by mountains. These isolate the city from regional weather disturbances and trap pollution.

Crime is among the most urgent concerns facing Mexico, as is the case for many other Latin American countries. Mexican drug trafficking rings play a major role in the flow of cocaine, heroin, and marijuana transiting between Latin America and the United States. Drug trafficking has led to corruption, which has had a deleterious effect on Mexico's democracy. Drug trafficking and organized crime have also been a major source of violent crime in Mexico.
Mexico has experienced increasingly high crime rates, especially in major urban centers. The country's great economic polarization has stimulated criminal activity in the lower socioeconomic strata, which includes the majority of the country's population. Crime continues at high levels, and is repeatedly marked by violence, especially in Mexico City, Tijuana, Ciudad Juárez, Nuevo Laredo, and the state of Sinaloa. Other metropolitan areas have lower, yet still serious, levels of crime. Low apprehension and conviction rates contribute to the high crime rate.
The high incidence of crime in Mexico has also poured across the border and influenced crime in the United States, aggravating problems including drugs, illegal immigration, and gangs. To combat this increasing problem, cross-border cooperation has increased between law enforcement agencies in the United States and Mexico in recent years.

Mexican police regularly obtain information through torture and prosecutors use this evidence in courts. The Mexican Constitution and the law prohibit torture, and Mexico is party to several international anti-torture conventions, but courts continue to admit as evidence confessions extracted under torture. Authorities rarely punish officials for torture, which continues to occur in large part because confessions are the primary evidence in many criminal convictions. U.S. citizens have been brutalized, beaten, and even raped while in police custody. Since the beginning of 2002, 21 U.S. citizens have died in Mexican prisons, including five apparent homicides

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Sporadic outbursts of politically motivated violence occur from time to time in certain areas of the country, particularly in the southern states of Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca.

Demonstrations: The Mexican Constitution prohibits political activities by foreigners, and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation. Travelers should avoid political demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by the Mexican authorities. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations, and to exercise caution if in the vicinity of any protests.

Chiapas: The Department of State recommends U.S. citizens traveling to the southern state of Chiapas remain cautious at all times. Armed rebels and armed civilian groups are present in some areas of the state, and there is often no effective law enforcement or police protection. Violent criminal gang activity along the state’s southern border – mostly aimed at illegal migrants – continues to be a concern. U.S. citizens traveling to Chiapas are encouraged to contact the U.S. Embassy for further security information prior to traveling to the region.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

That is passed off as your opinions, as there are no attributions accrediting it to either Wikipedia or the State Department, until you got caught! You'll note that this is from a post earlier in the day, and in your reply above, I've highlighted that you admit later that it was taken from the State Department. You're busted, and you're one of the most obtuse people I've ever encountered. You got caught; be a man and admit it.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 10:49 PM

quote:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

That is passed off as your opinions, as there are no attributions accrediting it to either Wikipedia or the State Department, until you got caught! You'll note that this is from a post earlier in the day, and in your reply above, I've highlighted that you admit later that it was taken from the State Department. You're busted, and you're one of the most obtuse people I've ever encountered. You got caught; be a man and admit it.
You interpreted it as opinion, I merely gathered some statistics and posted them. Never claimed attribution or offered it as original work. Sloppy yes, plagiarism no.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 11:12 PM

I graduated from the Department of Defense Journalism School, in Indianpolis, after basic training and spent four years writing for base newspapers, and writing a quarterly 900+ page book of base histories, by myself. Any time a work is copied verbatim, without accreditation or attribution, it's plagiarism; there are no vagaries and there's no "sloppy work" excuse. I know plagiarism.

Atomic Rooster
Mar 7, 2007, 11:19 PM

"Listen you whimpering simpleton,"

Sorry Karl, had to laugh.

I noticed those cut and paste jobs right away so I guess I am a simpleton too.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 11:30 PM

Hey, don't make fun of the guy. Feel for him!

I actually do feel sorry for him. He uses classic projection techniques, accusing others of being what he fears he is, and rarely actually rebutting any points but rather just making quick, accusative statements, and resorting to name calling once you get past his threshold, which appears to very low.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 12:46 AM

He uses classic projection techniques, accusing others of being what he fears he is, and rarely actually rebutting any points but rather just making quick, accusative statements, and resorting to name calling once you get past his threshold, which appears to very low.
Oh get off your high horse. You're doing the exact same thing right here, going on and on with your plagiarism charge, rather than just accept his explanation, and then actually addressing the points he raised.

This is a public forum, not a freakin' published periodical or news outlet. It may be a "foul" not to credit your sources properly, but it's not the end of the world.

Atomic Rooster
Mar 8, 2007, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Oh get off your high horse. You're doing the exact same thing right here, going on and on with your plagiarism charge, rather than just accept his explanation, and then actually addressing the points he raised.

This is a public forum, not a freakin' published periodical or news outlet. It may be a "foul" not to credit your sources properly, but it's not the end of the world.
Get off your rocking horse.

WOW! Orion has a friend.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 8, 2007, 01:06 AM

At least someone agrees with me the only thing between a cat's ears is Kitty Gourmet
Your delusional.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 8, 2007, 01:07 AM

KarlG
"I'm done with you and your plagiarizing. If you want to keep attacking, so be it, as you've destroyed any credibility you have here, and it's quite obvious that I'm not the only one who thinks so."

You and who else?
And oblivious.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2007, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Get off your rocking horse.

WOW! Orion has a friend.
What are you, eight?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2007, 04:46 AM

I think plagiarism is overstating things a bit.

In a way, it's his obnoxiousness that saves him. If he were more civil, or had the Wikipedia article started with "Chiapas, you ignorant twit..." perhaps there may have been more possibility of confusion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules