Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's The Best Guard Dog?

What's The Best Guard Dog? (Page 2)
Cold Warrior
Nov 14, 2007, 12:02 AM

well, the thread is about good guard dogs, not maniacal, four-legged meat cleavers who will eat their owners without warning.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 14, 2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by  View Post
No pitbull plugs here?
Did you miss the very first reply??

(op)
Nov 14, 2007, 08:17 AM

Funny, Laminar.

(op)
Nov 15, 2007, 01:54 PM

I think we've found our dog.

Shipping it in tomorrow if everything goes right.

Fingers crossed.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 01:57 PM

(op)
Nov 15, 2007, 08:02 PM

That's a terrible site, Dakar! "Pets Overnight?" "Forget about sending flowers...send a pet instead?"

Can hardly believe that exists. Wait, yes I can.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Nov 15, 2007, 09:02 PM

More of a bark than bite I would say. And you could punt it across the house, but I hear they are pretty popular.

But in all seriousness, I heard good things about German Sheppards.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by  View Post
That's a terrible site, Dakar! "Pets Overnight?" "Forget about sending flowers...send a pet instead?"

Can hardly believe that exists. Wait, yes I can.

It's not real.

(op)
Nov 16, 2007, 10:20 AM

Oh.

I actually thought that was where people like Paris Hilton ordered their gifts.

(op)
Nov 17, 2007, 10:40 AM

What does anyone think of Akitas?

(op)
Nov 19, 2007, 07:39 AM

Well, our Belgian Malinois puppy, 8 months old, is here from a breeder/kennel on the west coast after having been flown in. She's beautiful and extremely intelligent and not like any other dog I've dealt with. She's very sweet but she's very aloof. We had a bit of a excitement when right after arriving when she escaped out of the house (she was looking for a way out and barreled out the door past our son when she saw the opportunity) and was lost for 12 hours. We had to flyer the neighborhood with Lost signs, used Craigslist to offer a reward, contacted animal control, and even called the sheriff's department who said that if they saw her they would call their K-9 unit to come and try to lure her to them to capture her. We were sure she was gone for good. Called the kennel that sent her and they said to keep looking and not give up hope because they were sure she was nearby just hanging out as Malinois are not going to approach people. She escaped at 10:00 PM and at 11:00 AM the next morning we received a telephone call that someone had seen a dog fitting the description on our flyer about a mile away. Drove up there and, curled up in the median between the two lanes under a bush, there she was. We ran around trying to capture her when all of a sudden a good-hearted cowboy in a truck with Texas plates stopped and said, "Y'all need help? I can catch yer dog fer ya." By then she had headed over to the edge of a wooded area with palmetto and it looked like we were going to lose track of her again and we were desperate so we accepted his offer; we all dove into the thicket to grab her and did in fact capture her with the cowboy's help. I managed to land in the middle of a fire ant nest and now I must have 100 bites in various places, especially on my hands and feet (I look like I've got smallpox to be exact.)

We were extremely grateful and asked him to follow us back to our house because we wanted to give him $500 - the reward - in cash for helping us. He said he'd follow us and then drove away and we've never heard from him again. Whoever he is we are deeply indebted to him.

Today I'm taking her down for microchipping and licensing. She's never been inside a home, only out in a kennel and on a ranch, so she keeps wanting to get back outside so we have to be extra vigilant and never give her an opportunity to escape until she knows this is home.

All I can say is that it's been a wild adventure this weekend. Hope all goes well with her this week with some basic obedience and getting her accustomed to a new life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules