Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Why America is on the decline . . . .

Why America is on the decline . . . . (Page 2)
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2008, 03:02 PM

Harry Truman observed that the world is run by 'C' students. And Doof, a 'C' student is one that earns the letter grade of 'C' on a scale where 'A' is best and anything below 'D' is failing. It equates to "doesn't sleep through most of the classes but doesn't actually pay that much attention, either."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 03:12 PM

Daddy's friend told me, "In law school, the A students went on to become professors, the B students became public defenders, and the C students are the ones making bank."

Is anyone really surprised by this? Do you guys realize the high opportunity cost of getting an A? All those extra hours spent in the library, neglecting to partake in other activities that would make one more well-rounded? [Regrettably I am posting this from the library]

Tiresias
Jul 17, 2008, 03:13 PM

"Daddy"?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I also scored 10 points below genius twice on IQ tests.
Ya I hear Bush did also.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 03:32 PM

There are two factors to consider here: one is a raw measure of intelligence, and one is simply what you choose to do with that intelligence.

It is quite possible for somebody with a lot of intelligence to choose not to use it in getting good grades, and it is quite possible for somebody without a lot of natural intelligence to get good grades. Bush being a C student doesn't bother me, but his lack of inquisitiveness and interest in any sort of intellectual conversation (at least expressed by his public persona) gives me a very strong impression that Bush has chosen to not really make much use out of whatever intelligence he has, at a time when it would be a valuable asset.

When has Bush ever given the sort of thoughtful and in depth speech and analysis comparable to Obama's recent speeches about race, patriotism, or foreign policy? The only speeches of Bush's I have seen were given when he has had to, and they were seemingly designed for a high school student.

What kills me is when people frown down upon the so-called intellectual elite as if it makes any sense whatsoever to not want an intellectual as a powerful politician. I don't want a president that would be fun to have a Bud with, I want somebody much smarter than me.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And Doof, a 'C' student is one that earns the letter grade of 'C' on a scale where 'A' is best and anything below 'D' is failing. It equates to "doesn't sleep through most of the classes but doesn't actually pay that much attention, either."
I know that, Glenn. I'm just wondering how Sprinkles' logic was working on that in relation to the statement he responded to.

'Tis true about the world being run by C students. Well, the bits we can see are run by them anyway (I'm sure that the actual puppetmasters are all A+ers). The people generally don't tend to identify with anyone 30 points above their own sorry average.
In other words, got an IQ over 120? Don't run for office - go into investment banking or rock and roll instead.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ya I hear Bush did also.
Bush was pretty stoked until someone told him it was a dog training manual.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 03:46 PM

OK, this all seems to make a lot of sense. But...

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Bush being a C student doesn't bother me, but his lack of inquisitiveness and interest in any sort of intellectual conversation.
I don't want a president that would be fun to have a Bud with, I want somebody much smarter than me.
Wouldn't someone much, much smarter than you be reluctant to involve themselves in any kind of "intellectual conversation" that you'd be able to notice as such? What if Bush is actually really, really smart but you simply don't notice this because you're not smart enough to perceive it?

I'm not saying that Bush is smart (although his house is a lot larger than mine and he can torture people who steal his parking space, so hey, maybe). Just that there might be a small flaw in this logic.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
What if Bush is actually really, really smart but you simply don't notice this because you're not smart enough to perceive it?
In that case he is the smartest man on earth as nobody else can perceive it either. Except for some southern rednecks perhaps.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 04:47 PM

In that case he is the smartest man on earth as nobody else can perceive it either. Except for some southern rednecks perhaps.
So, let's see.

George W Bush: Lives in a large house. Has quite good security. A few bucks in the bank. Own private 747. Own private helicopter.

analogue Sprinkles: Lives in an apartment surrounded by Star Wars figurines. Has no security to speak of. Next to no bucks in the bank. Doesn't even own a private Cessna. Might own a small, plastic, non-functional X-Wing fighter.

Who's the smart one, SWG?

OreoCookie
Jul 17, 2008, 05:02 PM

Britney Spears has her own jet, too, doesn't she?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2008, 05:10 PM

Soulja Boy is trash.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 05:10 PM

Yeah, since when did intelligence become measured by the number of toys you own?

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 05:41 PM

Yeah, since when did intelligence become measured by the number of toys you own?
It's not the number of toys. It's the size of them.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 17, 2008, 07:29 PM

I blame black holes.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 17, 2008, 07:34 PM

So, let's see.

The one who lives in a small island country who likes fantasizing he's an American.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 07:36 PM

So, let's see.

George W Bush: Lives in a large house. Has quite good security. A few bucks in the bank. Own private 747. Own private helicopter.

analogue Sprinkles: Lives in an apartment surrounded by Star Wars figurines. Has no security to speak of. Next to no bucks in the bank. Doesn't even own a private Cessna. Might own a small, plastic, non-functional X-Wing fighter.

Um lemmie guess. The stupid one would be all the people who but Bush in the comfy position he is in. Although I wouldn't say he has good security.

I'm also going to take a wild stab that a member that just signed up and has as many posts and you do yet somehow thinks he know a lot about me right down to my security and bank account, you must be a reincarnation of a former lonely religious nut that used to frequent here and I blocked years ago.

Hate to break it to you but you are off on all counts but you knew that but did what you had to do to make yourself feel less sorry about your life.

Hope it worked out for ya

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 07:52 PM

It's not the number of toys. It's the size of them.
Don't go confusing success with intelligence - for some people success is all but guaranteed by birthright. Success is inherited far more often than intelligence.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 07:56 PM

I'm also going to take a wild stab that a member that just signed up and has as many posts and you do yet somehow thinks he know a lot about me right down to my security and bank account, you must be a reincarnation of a former lonely religious nut that used to frequent here and I blocked years ago.
Well, I've no idea where you get "lonely religious nut" from, but I would have thought that it's pretty obvious to anyone with an IQ over 30 points which user this nick is a re-incarnation of.

Oh, and I type quick. And multi-task. I'm watching a Japanese horror film *and* working while I'm typing this crap to you.

Hate to break it to you but you are off on all counts.
Off on all counts?

So, you live in a house now.
You've sold all those silly little Star Wars figures that you kept by your bed.
You've got four blokes with MP7s standing outside your door.
You've got at least $1,000,000 in the bank.
You actually have your own Cessna.
And you don't have a plastic X-Wing. Or it's actually large and functional.

Cut the crap SWG, it just makes you look like a screaming, emotional queen.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
The one who lives in a small island country who likes fantasizing he's an American.
I fantasise about being overtaxed? Sure. Of course.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 08:18 PM

I don't understand how Bush is any dumber than Gore, who flunked out of divinity school, or Hillary, who spent her college years writing emo diary entries. Bush at least had the foresight to Frat Hard, spent decades drinking and being Out Of Control, and then, without putting forth too much effort in life, wound up as a 2 term president. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Jul 17, 2008 at 08:32 PM. )

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 08:29 PM

When has Bush ever given the sort of thoughtful and in depth speech and analysis comparable to Obama's recent speeches about race, patriotism, or foreign policy? The only speeches of Bush's I have seen were given when he has had to, and they were seemingly designed for a high school student.
The type of speeches you're talking about get a little tired into Presidency. Then it's time to talk as if it's just the two of you. Not necessarily over a beer though this I grant you. Bush's speeches aren't the problem IMO, it's the delivery. I almost cringe when I hear him speak at this point. He's been doing this thing over the past two years, but it's gotten almost unbearable. He has this "lecturing" and defensive tone about his voice as if he's expecting hecklers or something.

What kills me is when people frown down upon the so-called intellectual elite as if it makes any sense whatsoever to not want an intellectual as a powerful politician. I don't want a president that would be fun to have a Bud with, I want somebody much smarter than me.
I don't think he's illustrated that he's smarter than you at all. He'd better be relegated to a wheelchair with an electronic voice box if I'm going to accept his politics. I want a better orator too, but that's not everything.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I don't understand how Bush is any dumber than Gore, who flunked out of divinity school, or Hillary, who spent her college years writing emo diary entries. Bush at least had the foresight to Frat Hard, spent decades drinking and being Out Of Control, and then, without putting forth too much effort in life, wound up as a 2 term president. Who cares what anyone else thinks?
... and if you buy into the notion of some here; managed to steal an election... twice, help orchestrate 9/11, dupe the entire world into believing Iraq had WMDs, collect over $650 billion from Congress over the span of the Iraq War...
ebuddy

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
... and if you buy into the notion of some here; managed to steal an election... twice, help orchestrate 9/11, dupe the entire world into believing Iraq had WMDs, collect over $650 billion from Congress over the span of the Iraq War...
...singlehandedly made all gay people secretly happy by not allowing them to have to marry their histrionic other... ...etc., etc..

Wait. Wasn't this thread about musical culture in the US and its impact on society at large before certain people showed up and started banging on about Bush. Again. ?

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 08:47 PM

I heard this song on the radio today at the gym. It was like "Get Silly" but somehow even worse. It's difficult to describe. It had no tune, no memorable beat, no singing. When I figure out what "artist" performed this abomination, I will post a YouTube link.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 17, 2008, 09:37 PM

...singlehandedly made all gay people secretly happy by not allowing them to have to marry their histrionic other... ...etc., etc..

Wait. Wasn't this thread about musical culture in the US and its impact on society at large before certain people showed up and started banging on about Bush. Again. ?
Maybe when Bush is gone the English won't have a lap to nappy in anymore.

Oh what shall they do?

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 09:44 PM

Maybe when Bush is gone the English won't have a lap to nappy in anymore.
If you're going to carry on stalking me, then at least write in English. What the bleedin' hades is "to nappy"?
( Last edited by vmarks; Jul 17, 2008 at 11:04 PM. Reason: ahem)

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 10:21 PM

I think he was talking about nappy as in "nappy headed hoes"

Tiresias
Jul 17, 2008, 10:32 PM

So, let's see.

Argumentum ad crumenam.

Come back fail!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by atomic rooster View Post
i blame black holes.
racist!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Argumentum ad crumenam.

Come back fail!
I direct the honourable gentleman to the following portion of his link:

-- Usage --

They're just rednecks. What do they know?
...and to the post which the reply in question was replying to.

Thus, win.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2008, 11:55 PM

It's about time to end the personality clashes and get back on topic. Feel free to continue ripping into each other via PM. You kids play nice now!
Nemo me impune lacesset

Atomic Rooster
Jul 18, 2008, 12:02 AM

this post was off-topic.
( Last edited by vmarks; Jul 18, 2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: really. far off topic.)

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2008, 11:48 AM

Why America is on the decline? See "Tony Snow RIP" thread.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Why America is on the decline? See "Tony Snow RIP" thread.
It's cool how self-referential MacNN is

Care to elaborate on this point?

Tiresias
Jul 19, 2008, 03:29 AM

this post was off-topic.
"Last edited by vmarks".

Wow.

Are mods gonna be deleting off-topic threads now; or is "off-topic" here a euphemism for something else?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2008, 03:37 AM

Are mods gonna be deleting off-topic threads now; or is "off-topic" here a euphemism for something else?
Welcome to New America, where threads read you!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 19, 2008, 11:50 AM

"Last edited by vmarks".

Wow.

Off topic means just that. It could mean that it was an aside that had nothing to do with the thread, or an inflammatory statement, or just nonsense. We don't have time to play "Big Brother," and seriously, who would want to? The discussions here are far more entertaining when allowed to follow their normal live cycle.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tiresias
Jul 19, 2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Off topic means just that. It could mean that it was an aside that had nothing to do with the thread, or an inflammatory statement, or just nonsense. We don't have time to play "Big Brother," and seriously, who would want to? The discussions here are far more entertaining when allowed to follow their normal live cycle.
True. And anyway, an affirmative answer to my question would have looked something like this:

This post was off-topic.

(Last edited by ghporter; Today at 011:56 AM (Reason: off topic.)

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2008, 03:48 PM

It's cool how self-referential MacNN is

Care to elaborate on this point?
Well the Snow/Saddam comparisons for one... overall lack of class.
When Teddy Ballgame Kennedy dies, Im sure there will be alot of "good riddance" posts, so Im not saying its one sided. People are getting shittier at an ever increasing rate.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 20, 2008, 02:00 AM

"Last edited by vmarks".

Wow.

It was a picture of a black cat with bling-bling around his neck. Wasn't off-topic at all but a parody of the OP's original pic.

I can't say much more than that or I will be killed.

Tiresias
Jul 20, 2008, 02:05 AM

I saw that. Wtf? IMO mods should definitely not be deleting "off-topic" posts.

vmarks

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2008, 11:52 AM

Ok so it is more than obvious from the obsessiveness that Uncle Doof is actually Kevin/Zimphire. I've enjoyed not having him stalk me for 3 years since he was on my block list so I hope you enjoyed your brief time talking to/about me again as it was your last. Well until you change your name again.

Just FYI for everyone out there.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2008, 11:58 AM

Ok so it is more than obvious from the obsessiveness that Uncle Doof is actually Kevin/Zimphire. I've enjoyed not having him stalk me for 3 years since he was on my block list so I hope you enjoyed your brief time talking to/about me again as it was your last. Well until you change your name again.

Just FYI for everyone out there.
And so it continues...
Nemo me impune lacesset

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2008, 03:22 PM

And for the record, Doofy and Kevin are not the same person. They are each their own separate and unique snowflakes, drifting through the ether of cyberspace. Or something like that.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules