Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sopa

Sopa (Page 2)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2011, 09:35 PM

Perhaps someone would quote me the part where it's actually mentioning messing with the DNS system, other than on a local (ISP) IP blocking basis?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 06:40 AM

The DNS resolves IPs for you. Blocking IPs is by definition messing with the DNS.

To be clear, the issue isn't that this is allowed by the bill, there are absolutely, positively sites which should be blocked. The issue is that this bill allows it without any due process.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The DNS resolves IPs for you. Blocking IPs is by definition messing with the DNS.
Ummm. No it's not. It's after the DNS.

To be clear, the issue isn't that this is allowed by the bill, there are absolutely, positively sites which should be blocked. The issue is that this bill allows it without any due process.
Can you quote the bit of the bill for me which allows this without due process?

Bizarre, ain't it? Civil forfeiture laws (which don't give any due process at all) are on the books and barely a peep. Stop someone stealing the latest crap that the evil RIAA/MPAA comes out with and everyone goes apeshit.
You get what you deserve, Amerika.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Ummm. No it's not. It's after the DNS.
I have no idea what the subject of this sentence is supposed to be.

Can you quote the bit of the bill for me which allows this without due process?

Bizarre, ain't it? Civil forfeiture laws (which don't give any due process at all) are on the books and barely a peep. Stop someone stealing the latest crap that the evil RIAA/MPAA comes out with and everyone goes apeshit.
If you're just going to ignore what I'm saying, repeatedly mind you, I'm not going to do your research. Google the Senate bill and find it yourself.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 11:32 AM

I strongly dislike civil forfeiture laws too, but there's less the people can do about them because they're part of established law. We can do much more about a bill before it is signed into law. Before it's signed into law we have a chance tp rally enough people to make enough noise to prevent its passage. See the difference?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Dec 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I strongly dislike civil forfeiture laws too...
Obviously then, you should start railing against them in threads about the Internet.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 01:10 PM

If you're just going to ignore what I'm saying, repeatedly mind you, I'm not going to do your research. Google the Senate bill and find it yourself.
Well, see, I've read the bill. Just wondering if you have.

A process server on behalf of the Attorney General, with prior approval of the court, may serve a copy of a court order issued pursuant to this section
...yet you claim there's no due process.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 05:51 PM

This isn't even what we're talking about. The MPAA isn't the DoJ.

If you're going to call into question whether I've read it, at least quote the relevant text.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 07:05 PM

This isn't even what we're talking about. The MPAA isn't the DoJ.

If you're going to call into question whether I've read it, at least quote the relevant text.
So what *is* the relevant text? Point me to it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 07:40 PM

It's the part where private individuals can seek a court order to block a domain by suing the domain itself and not the individual who owns it. This does an end-run around the due process rights of the owner.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 08:25 PM

It's the part where private individuals can seek a court order to block a domain by suing the domain itself and not the individual who owns it.
Which bit is that then? I'm having trouble finding it, so please quote section and subsection.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 09:45 PM

Sec. 4(a)(2).

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 07:51 AM

Sec. 4(a)(2).
???

You'll have to be more specific than that. There doesn't appear to be a Sec. 4(a)2 in the document I'm reading.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 08:07 AM

Well, see, I've read the bill. Just wondering if you have.
You'll have to be more specific than that. There doesn't appear to be a Sec. 4(a)2 in the document I'm reading.
Hmmm... using my truly spectacular powers of deduction here, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're reading the wrong bill.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 08:27 AM

Hmmm... using my truly spectacular powers of deduction here, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're reading the wrong bill.
H.R.3261 ??

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h112-3261

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 08:48 AM

Nope. As I already said, it's the Senate bill. Those start with "S".

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 09:15 AM

Nope. As I already said, it's the Senate bill. Those start with "S".
Right. That's not SOPA. The thread is about SOPA, no?

So, if the copyright holder finds that his work has been pirated by someone outside the jurisdiction of the US, he can take action to have it blocked. Since the US treats foreigners like shit already (as the bill of rights only applies to US citizens), what's the big deal? Seems reasonable, since you're not going to get local legal co-operation from countries not signed to Berne or UCC.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 09:40 AM

Stop someone stealing the latest crap that the evil RIAA/MPAA comes out with and everyone goes apeshit.
While certainly somewhat true, I have no doubt that the majority of instances of SOPA being used will be just as appropriate as the use of notice-and-takedown from the DMCA. It will most certainly be used to silence competition.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 10:09 AM

Right. That's not SOPA. The thread is about SOPA, no?
The way some talk you'd think it was about civil forfeiture.

SOPA is the House version of the bill, and PROTECT IP is the Senate version.

SOPA doesn't let private citizens kill a US domain outright, it only allows them to cut off all the domain's income. PROTECT IP does allow for a private citizen to kill a US domain.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 10:51 AM

PROTECT IP does allow for a private citizen to kill a US domain.
No it doesn't. It only allows a private citizen to take action if the offender doesn't have an address within US jurisdiction.
Unless I'm reading it wrong again. You should probably spell it out to me.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 11:02 AM

Nope. You just need to be "unable to find" the owner.

(2) IN REM.—If through due diligence a qualifying plaintiff is unable to find a person described in subparagraphs (A) or (B) of paragraph (1), or no such person found has an address within a judicial district of the United States, the qualifying plaintiff may commence an in rem action against a domain name used by an Internet site dedicated to infringing activities.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 11:20 AM

Nope. You just need to be "unable to find" the owner.
Which is kind of a difficult thing to not be able to do, with regard to US-based websites.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 11:37 AM

That depends on how interested the owner is in not being found.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 08:36 PM

Anyone here think It's not more about figures like Julian Assange than a true concern of copyright infringement anyway? In fact, funny story... In February 2008, WikiLeaks published allegations of illegal activities at a Swiss Bank that led to a California judge ordering WikiLeaks' ISP to block wikileaks.org.

Sloppily-drafted laws granting powers that already date back at least four years does nothing more at this point than offer opportunities for infringement of another kind. While I'm not quite ready to replace the 'c' with a 'k' in America, I'm certainly not willing to grant an already bloated US government more fodder for slop and abuse.
ebuddy

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 09:23 PM

I think Assange is icing. AFAIK, much of the text of SOPA was written by either the MPAA or the RIAA.

They're also the ones licking all the ice cream cones in congress.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Anyone here think It's not more about figures like Julian Assange than a true concern of copyright infringement anyway? In fact, funny story... In February 2008, WikiLeaks published allegations of illegal activities at a Swiss Bank that led to a California judge ordering WikiLeaks' ISP to block wikileaks.org.

Sloppily-drafted laws granting powers that already date back at least four years does nothing more at this point than offer opportunities for infringement of another kind. While I'm not quite ready to replace the 'c' with a 'k' in America, I'm certainly not willing to grant an already bloated US government more fodder for slop and abuse.
This is exactly the kind of thing I think will happen. It will be used anti-competitively and politically, just as the DMCA get [ab]used.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2011, 10:43 AM

Breaking News: Feds Falsely Censor Popular Blog For Over A Year, Deny All Due Process, Hide All Details... | Techdirt
After continuing to stall and refusing to respond to Dajaz1's filing requesting the domain be returned, the government told Dajaz1's lawyer, Andrew P. Bridges, that it would begin forfeiture procedures (as required by law if it wanted to keep the domain). Bridges made clear that Dajaz1 would challenge the forfeiture procedure and seek to get the domain name back at that time. Then, the deadline for the government to file for forfeiture came and went and nothing apparently happened. Absolutely nothing. Bridges contacted the government to ask what was going on, and was told that the government had received an extension from the court. Bridges, quite reasonably, asked how that was possible without him, as counsel for the site, being informed of it or given a chance to make the case for why such an extension was improper.

He also asked for a copy of the the court's order allowing the extension. The government told him no and that the extension was filed under seal and could not be released, even in redacted form.

He asked for the motion papers asking for the extension. The government told him no and that the papers were filed under seal and could not be released, even in redacted form.

He again asked whether he would be notified about further filings for extensions. The government told him no.

He then asked the US attorney to inform the court that, if the government made another request for an extension, the domain owner opposed the extension and would like the opportunity to be heard. The government would not agree.

And file further extensions the government did. Repeatedly. Or, at least that's what Bridges was told. He sent someone to investigate the docket at the court, but the docket itself was secret, meaning there was no record of any of this available.
...and this is without SOPA.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2011, 04:40 PM

You durty hippy Amerikomrades get what you deserve!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2011, 12:08 PM

hmmmm ... I wonder what's going to happen with SOPA
http://torrentfreak.com/universal-ce...-label-111210/

“If UMG took down a video it has no rights to, then what we have here is exactly the sort of abuse that careless, overzealous, or malicious copyright holders can create by abusing a takedown law,” he told us.
UMG issued a DMCA takedown notice to YouTube for a video singing the praises of MegaUpload. I could really care less about MegaUpload, but I don't like copyright law being used to silence a voice that one doesn't like.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2011, 12:24 PM

All of this could be resolved through forced sterilization or state-sponsored genocide like the wildcats do in nature. Wait... wrong thread.

Sorry. Carry on.
ebuddy

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2011, 12:27 PM

state-sponsored genocide
It's a good job you're well practiced at that then!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2011, 12:38 PM

It's a good job you're well practiced at that then!
Couldn't do it without your help. Amerikkka thanks you for your support.
ebuddy

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2011, 02:01 PM

Couldn't do it without your help. Amerikkka thanks you for your support.
Strange... I don't recall us slaughtering injuns by the million.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2011, 02:42 PM

Strange... I don't recall us slaughtering injuns by the million.
You don't know your history.
ebuddy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2011, 01:05 PM

Meanwhile, in potential DMCA abuse news....

Judge gives Universal Music 24 hours to explain takedown spree
So label executives must have been furious on Friday when the locker site unveiled a new promotional video featuring some of the music industry's biggest names singing the site's praises. One of the labels, Universal Music Group, went a step further and started filing takedown notices.

The legal basis for the takedown requests isn't clear. Megaupload says that the music and artwork in the video are original, and that it has signed agreements with everyone who appeared in it.

Adding the TWiT tie in for Subego (and it's also poignant)
But UMG apparently continued its takedown campaign, targeting an episode of Tech News Today that included a clip from the video in its coverage of the controversy. The host, Tom Merritt, says he filed a counter-notice under the DMCA, but as of Wednesday evening the show had not been restored. Under the DMCA, it might take as long as 10 days for the video to go back up. "In 10 days a daily news show is worthless," he told the Verge, "so Universal was able to censor this episode of Tech News Today."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2011, 01:12 PM

Live Congressional Stream: KeepTheWebOpen.com

Most of the solid opposition to this has come from Republicans! Dan Lungren on right now making excellent points!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Adding the TWiT tie in for Subego (and it's also poignant)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2011, 04:32 PM

Oh, I missed the follow up.

UMG claims "right to block or remove" YouTube videos it doesn't own
UMG insists that it had a right to take down the video—not under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, as Megaupload had assumed, but under a private contractual arrangement between UMG and YouTube.

UMG's filing raises more questions than it answers. Most obviously, the firm has not explained why it took down the video in the first place. But the filing also raises deeper questions about UMG's effort to essentially opt out of the DMCA takedown rules. UMG seems to believe it can take down videos even if it doesn't hold the copyright to them, and that when UMG takes a video down from YouTube, the owner of that video can't avail herself of even the weak protections against takedown abuse provided by the DMCA.

UMG's response also sheds some light on another mystery: why Monday's issue of Tech News Today was yanked from YouTube. When UMG removes a video via YouTube's CMS, a "reference file" is created that "in theory is supposed to identify other instances of postings of the same content." UMG speculates that this "reference file" system was responsible for the accidental removal from YouTube of a Tech News Today episode featuring the Megaupload video.
Shady shit.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Shady shit.
Nope. Morons...

...morons who're going to buy me a new yacht if they ever take down one of my videos.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2011, 11:21 PM

Yo gusto sopa. Oops. Wrong sopa.

It's not DNS; It's firewall.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 02:29 PM

Just curious- how come angry lefties aren't out in the streets protesting Obama, the way they did Bush for just about everything? I mean lately it's amazing how crap like this, and govt. granting itself powers to detain people indefinitely etc. are coming out of the woodwork, yet I don't see all the same angry lefties with signs blaming the guy in the oval office, or frankly, even giving a flying shit at all.

So I take it the protesting and angry ranting all during the previous admin wasn't really about anyone giving a shit about anyone's rights or any loss of freedoms, it was just "whine at the Republican", now it's "Free pass for the Dim." Got it.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Just curious- how come angry lefties aren't out in the streets protesting Obama, the way they did Bush for just about everything? I mean lately it's amazing how crap like this, and govt. granting itself powers to detain people indefinitely etc. are coming out of the woodwork, yet I don't see all the same angry lefties with signs blaming the guy in the oval office, or frankly, even giving a flying shit at all.

So I take it the protesting and angry ranting all during the previous admin wasn't really about anyone giving a shit about anyone's rights or any loss of freedoms, it was just "whine at the Republican", now it's "Free pass for the Dim." Got it.
SOPA is a House bill introduced by GOP Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas and initially co-sponsored by 8 GOP and 4 Dem House members. So perhaps "angry lefties" aren't in the streets protesting Obama about it because it isn't an Obama Administration initiative?

OAW

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 02:59 PM

So, with a straight face you're actually going to pretend everything the left screeched insessantly at Bush over, was all just things Bush did personally, and not also acts of congress?

Just admit it- whatever it is, wars, bills that force people to buy products, rights being swept under the rug, government power grabs- lefty loudmouths give the oval office a pass so long as it's a Dim.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 03:09 PM

Ha! please don't try and defend Bush

CBC News: the fifth estate - The Lies that Led to War
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Just curious- how come angry lefties aren't out in the streets protesting Obama, the way they did Bush for just about everything?
Bizarre, ain't it?

Over here, under a conservative government, the lefties are out in force marching against state-funded student tuition fees being scrapped.

But when their boys in the last government started the ball rolling with scrapping state support of these, where were they? Yep, you guessed... ...nowhere.

It really is all red vs blue to them. They can be hypocritical bastards as long as they're protesting against the opposing side, not their own. And that's why I despise lefties.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 03:11 PM

No Crash I'm not "pretending" about anything. What I am doing is staying on topic. You should try it sometime.

OAW

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 03:11 PM

I'm still waiting for all the lefties to protest against the continuation of the Patriot Act, or the Bush Barry tax cuts.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2011, 04:22 PM

I seem to recall the students marching when labour introduced tuition fees.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I seem to recall the students marching when labour introduced tuition fees.
I don't.
Of course, if you find me an article about it I'll stand corrected.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2011, 07:39 PM

I don't.
Of course, if you find me an article about it I'll stand corrected.
This BBC timeline references a number of protests:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7923093.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/61885.stm

This article says the 2010 march was the largest since fees were introduced in 1998:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...uition-fees.do

This one was on Labour's watch too:
Students defy union and march against tuition fees | Education | guardian.co.uk
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Dec 21, 2011 at 07:47 PM. )
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules