Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Frankenstorm Chicken Check In

Frankenstorm Chicken Check In (Page 2)
SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
More to the point why haven't the more enterprising souls of Pennsylvania driven up with a load of gas to sell to people who can't be bothered to go fetch it themselves?
Better yet is why can't the gas companies figure this out?

I'm hoping to wait it out another few days before getting more gas. If I continue to carpool with my wife I should have enough gas for the rest of the week.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2012, 05:52 PM

They could "fix" it by going full-on capitalist, but they want to avoid the PR blowback that would cause.

The irony is this means less gas comes in, and since it's priced artificially low it goes quicker.

To be clear, I'm not saying gouging people is the solution, but you'd definitely have more gas if there was gouging. Which gas company wouldn't want to go the extra mile if there were inflated prices at the point-of-sale?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2012, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
They could "fix" it by going full-on capitalist, but they want to avoid the PR blowback that would cause.
The irony is this means less gas comes in, and since it's priced artificially low it goes quicker.
To be clear, I'm not saying gouging people is the solution, but you'd definitely have more gas if there was gouging. Which gas company wouldn't want to go the extra mile if there were inflated prices at the point-of-sale?
I don't think eye-gouging is going to work very well on a perceived necessity. What does it tell you when people are willing to waste hours of their lives waiting in line for gas?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't think eye-gouging is going to work very well on a perceived necessity. What does it tell you when people are willing to waste hours of their lives waiting in line for gas?
It tells me that we need Mr. Fusion in every car and home.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It depends on how you define "work well".

It would most certainly work well to bring in more gas.

It would not work as well when it comes to PR for the oil companies.

It would work very poorly for people without money to spare.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2012, 06:38 AM

This is the kind of narrow infrequent situation were things like tax incentives would be useful. Let them write off their increased delivery costs.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It would work very poorly for people without money to spare.
That's sort of my point. Our choices seem to be between survival of the most determined (most free tme?) versus survival of the richest.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2012, 07:47 AM

Well, I think there's an ethical argument to be made for government intervention, but it pretty much ends at the ethics.

In practical terms, the government would get double (or triple) fleeced by the oil companies. Then, multiply that by every consumer splurging when they should be conserving.

Forum Links
Forum Rules