Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > New poll shows further decay of American morality

New poll shows further decay of American morality (Page 2)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Still not seeing how consuming MJ is immoral. A little unethical perhaps, since it's still a federal crime to possess any, but immoral?
I don't think anyone has agreed, though it was my supposition to religious opposition. Now I'm left wondering what the opposition really is.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2013, 02:52 PM

Violating unjust laws is ethical in my book.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't think anyone has agreed, though it was my supposition to religious opposition. Now I'm left wondering what the opposition really is.
It's McDonalds.

They're trying to keep the Taco Bell down.

IOW, I got less than nothing.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2013, 02:57 PM

Most of it goes back to the "obey the law of the land" business. So, since it's illegal, they view it as sinful. That's not entirely consistent, since abortions are legal but they don't support those (the law seemingly conflicting with a direct Commandment), but anyhow.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2013, 03:00 PM

and the being intoxicated, "abandoning sobriety", stuff. You can rather easily drink alcohol without getting drunk, but it's a lot harder to smoke a blunt and not be stoned.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2013, 03:01 PM

Most of it goes back to the "obey the law of the land" business. So, since it's illegal, they view it as sinful. That's not entirely consistent, since abortions are legal but they don't support those (the law seemingly conflicting with a direct Commandment), but anyhow.
If that's the case, then I don't think religion plays a part a all. Everyone does that – think there are laws that a just, unjust, and accept some merely because they exist.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2013, 03:03 PM

and the being intoxicated, "abandoning sobriety", stuff. You can rather easily drink alcohol without getting drunk, but it's a lot harder to smoke a blunt and not be stoned.
Well, I've never heard of anyone smoking a blunt for the taste or smell, unlike drinking alcohol for the taste.

---

Edit: Can't read this at work, but relevant
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/us...rnia.html?_r=0

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2013, 03:07 PM

Well, I've never heard of anyone smoking a blunt for the taste or smell, unlike drinking alcohol for the taste.

---

Edit: Can't read this at work, but relevant
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/us...rnia.html?_r=0
There are many strains of weed, some much more unique than others. I would certainly compare it to types of booze flavorings, you should read High Times more often.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2013, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
There are many strains of weed, some much more unique than others. I would certainly compare it to types of booze flavorings, you should read High Times more often.
It's still a little like the taste of penis.

Sure, this penis is more flavorful that that penis, but you're ultimately not there for taste.

FWIW, never tasted penis, but for whatever reason I felt the flipside of that read a whole lot dirtier. Go figure.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

Sure, this penis is more flavorful that that penis, but you're ultimately not there for taste.

FWIW, never tasted penis, but for whatever reason I felt the flipside of that read a whole lot dirtier. Go figure.
sounds wonderful!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2013, 03:36 PM

Somewhere, salty's ears perked up

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2013, 06:52 PM

No, but the smart ones of us adjust the taste for her (or him) by eating strawberries or whatever you're sposed to eat to make it taste better and....well I guess I just answered why I am single .

laughingbunny
Oct 29, 2013, 10:37 AM

.................................................. ...................this is the most daring comment I've ever seen

andi*pandi
Oct 29, 2013, 02:20 PM

don't encourage them.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2013, 03:07 PM

Violating unjust laws is ethical in my book.
Ethics? So your OPINION is that the law is unjust.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2013, 03:13 PM

Yes, and as his opinion is worth no less then some old fart who died many years ago (when the laws were made). I support him in his indifference to "criminal" behavior.

We've lost the war on drugs. There's just too much money it it abroad to be able to stop it here. Maybe time for a new approach?

From a practical and academic perspective, the stuff should be legal. My guess is once the Fed figures out how to make the most money off of it, it will be legal. With the ACA going the way its going, you can probably guess that will be sooner rather than later.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2013, 03:17 PM

@BadKosh

I wouldn't go that far. It's just "opinion" in lower case letters.

It's a pretty damn good one though, based on the ridiculous inconsistencies of having cigarettes and alcohol be legal.

Compared to those examples, it's close to harmless. Having the close to harmless thing be illegal is unjust in my lowercase opinion.

If you have a reason I should consider it just, have at it. I'm all ears.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
don't encourage them.
Sorry. I kinda crossed the line with that one.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2013, 07:46 PM

@BadKosh

I wouldn't go that far. It's just "opinion" in lower case letters.

It's a pretty damn good one though, based on the ridiculous inconsistencies of having cigarettes and alcohol be legal.

Compared to those examples, it's close to harmless. Having the close to harmless thing be illegal is unjust in my lowercase opinion.

If you have a reason I should consider it just, have at it. I'm all ears.
We're on the same page on pot, and also `shrooms, peyote, and salvia, most likely, but what about cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.?
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2013, 08:42 PM

We're on the same page on pot, and also `shrooms, peyote, and salvia, most likely, but what about cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.?

My main struggle with legalizing every drug under the sun is preventing users from impacting the lives of others with their actions.

Maybe consumption/possession should be legal, but certain behaviors should be what this "war" is against?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2013, 08:50 PM

Those are tough calls. Even the drugs like crack and meth.

My philosophical starting point is adults should be able to do what they want.

On the other hand, these drugs are physically corrosive and aggression inducing to a pretty extreme extent, so I can't see a good option other than outlawing them.

On the third hand, prohibition has its issues, which are physically corrosive and aggression inducing.

The net on those seems to be outlawed. The pool of potential "responsible" users is too small.

Coke is even tougher. Less on the corrosion/aggression index, so more popular. Popularity makes the corrosion/aggression effects of prohibition much worse. I can't put my finger on why, but it still seems to weigh as a net bad to me. Some sort of halfway illegal option which I can't imagine would be ideal.

Ecstasy should be a highly regulated prescription. Same with acid, but a little looser.

I think coca leaves should be totally legal. It would be interesting to see how much legal coca leaves and pot would undercut the cocaine market.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2013, 08:53 PM

Heroin I'd put in the cocaine territory.

Is there a good coca leaf like analogy for opiates? Like poppy laffy taffy or something?

andi*pandi
Oct 31, 2013, 04:00 PM

According to Seinfeld, you can show positive for opiates by eating poppy seed bagels. A lot of poppy seed bagels.

I like poppy seed bagels.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2013, 04:07 PM

I like poppy seed bagels.
...and opium.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2013, 05:18 PM

Me? I hate opium. All it does is get you high. Yuck.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2013, 09:02 AM

Me too, and there's that wonderful wretched smell. Just awful.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2013, 01:13 PM

Does it smell good?

I've toyed with the idea of trying it, but I suck at portion control.

andi*pandi
Nov 1, 2013, 01:37 PM

I wonder if you can get high from eating the flowers. I once did a brochure for a drug recovery program, whose only design direction was that they wanted happy flowers. I picked some happy flowers from stock photos not knowing they were poppies. They noticed and had me switch them to daisies.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2013, 04:10 PM

I wonder if you can get high from eating the flowers. I once did a brochure for a drug recovery program, whose only design direction was that they wanted happy flowers. I picked some happy flowers from stock photos not knowing they were poppies. They noticed and had me switch them to daisies.

I wonder these sorts of things too, but also how natural things you can get high off of were discovered for the first time.

I mean, it seems like humans have probably tried putting just about every substance into their bodies in some manner.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2013, 04:18 PM

Pre-refrigeration there was a bigger need to experiment.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2013, 08:39 PM

Does it smell good?

I've toyed with the idea of trying it, but I suck at portion control.
Very sweet and somewhat musky, incense-like. It's one of those things like pot, where even if you've never smelled it before some part of your brain identifies it.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2013, 08:40 PM

Yes, you can, but the amount you'd have to eat would be... inconvenient, to say the least. You'd probably get sick to your stomach before catching a buzz.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules