Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 20)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Destonius:
It has been a real disaster in Japan and SCE CEO Kutaragi was fired from Sony Electronics for his atrocious failures in PSX and PSP. Will it survive, but only in the United States and possibly Europe like X-Box?
Ah no, the Sony CEO was given the boot for many reasons but the only part of sony that was doing well was the playstation division.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 02:07 PM

So, has anyone figured out if the PSP has PS1-like or PS2-like 3D graphics?

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Apr 11, 2005, 02:11 PM

that doesn't help, needs more elaboration.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
Duh.

PS2. The only difference in the visuals between Ridge Racers on both is that the PSP version has less antialiasing. But that's a developer's decision. They both support the same graphics technology apart from some pixel effects which can be done on the PS2's hardware. They can be done in software on the PSP. The PSP has the advantage of having two processors which allows sound effects and music to be handled by one, raw data by the other and graphics by the GPU.

The DS doesn't even have PS1 level graphics.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Apr 11, 2005, 02:17 PM

http://www.aurorawdc.com/ci/000311.html

some amusing sarcastic comments inside there.

"Controls: The PSP includes the standard complement of PlayStation 2 controls�although it has only one joystick and one pair of shoulder buttons�and pads that are reasonably easy to use. It has no touch screen, unlike the Nintendo DS, but includes a real portable-gaming breakthrough: a tiny round nub that appears to be the twisted progeny of a joystick and the IBM TrackPoint mouse replacement. Instead of having to be yanked back and forth, this "pointing pad" glides almost effortlessly across a small part of the PSP's surface. It provided a perfect stand-in for a steering wheel in Ridge Racer, and it'll probably become the controller of choice for all but the most precise and demanding tasks."

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by kentuckyfried:

"Controls: The PSP includes the standard complement of PlayStation 2 controls�although it has only one joystick and one pair of shoulder buttons�and pads that are reasonably easy to use. It has no touch screen, unlike the Nintendo DS, but includes a real portable-gaming breakthrough: a tiny round nub that appears to be the twisted progeny of a joystick and the IBM TrackPoint mouse replacement. Instead of having to be yanked back and forth, this "pointing pad" glides almost effortlessly across a small part of the PSP's surface. It provided a perfect stand-in for a steering wheel in Ridge Racer, and it'll probably become the controller of choice for all but the most precise and demanding tasks."

And I just learned you can "Yank" something with your thumb.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
The PSP is basically a weaker PS2 in terms of graphical horsepower.

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
The DS doesn't even have PS1 level graphics.
The N64 and PS1 were basically on par in their era. The DS is a more powerful N64 minus the texture filtering only (which is basically useless on a screen that's 256x192). So how do you arrive at that statement? Especially if you compare models and textures from last generation to games that are on the DS now (see: Mario 64 DS)�they look much, much better on the DS. Hell, the DS even supports anti-aliasing (see also: Mario 64 DS), as did the N64. The PS2 doesn't even support that effect! [/useless fanboy jab at a graphics effect] (Hopefully the sarcasm got through.)

Not that any of that matters in terms of fun games�to me, anyway�but let's not sell the DS that short because of ignorance.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:

The N64 and PS1 were basically on par in their era. The DS is a more powerful N64 minus the texture filtering only (which is basically useless on a screen that's 256x192). So how do you arrive at that statement?
Without texture filtering you might as well go out for a walk instead. Without it you're looking at DOS graphics.
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Apr 11, 2005 at 02:41 PM. )

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 02:33 PM

In terms of graphic quality they are equal. The PSP is rendering out to a lower resolution so it didn't need to be as powerful as the PS2, but proportionately it is and more.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 02:39 PM

In some ways but it sure as hell doesn't show on a smaller screen!

Even so it is fantastic to have something like that on a portable.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

radii_22
Apr 11, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by blue storm 1337:
what a bunch of srry little adult kiddies who were tricked into buying the piece of crap DS. the only people who play lame-ass gamess like mario are absolute pathetic no hopers. They're teh most pathetic, bow legged mingers that God ever suffered to crawl on the surface of this earth. I would not lower myself to release my sperm onto that miserable spunk bucket known as the Ninetdo DS>
Yeah, the same kind of commentaries are said of Apple computers, from Windows hardcore users. Funny.
--->>> Karate is only for defense

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by radii_22:
Yeah, the same kind of commentaries are said of Apple computers, from Windows hardcore users. Funny.
Kids by Mac's? where do they get $3000?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

radii_22
Apr 11, 2005, 04:43 PM

What i argue, is that for decent gaming (in a platform which has the 3d capabilities of a PS2) we need not one "pointing pad", but two. How are we going to play MGS or Splinter Cell (3d games with directional and camera movement) with a single pad?.
--->>> Karate is only for defense

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by radii_22:
What i argue, is that for decent gaming (in a platform which has the 3d capabilities of a PS2) we need not one "pointing pad", but two. How are we going to play MGS or Splinter Cell (3d games with directional and camera movement) with a single pad?.
Z-Lock

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 04:47 PM

speaking of large screens and all, has anybody here managed to acquire one without a single dead pixel?
Mine doesnt have any dead pixels. I bought mine at EBGames, but the guy did say he had about 3 or 4 returns complaining of dead pixels. He personally couldnt see them, but they replaced the units without hassle because of their 14 day return policy.

I only shop at stores with no hassle 7-14 day return policies now. Easier that way.

Chris

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 04:54 PM

Mine might have two dead pixels or just a couple of specks of dust. I can't see them unless the screen goes dark and I hold the PSP right up to my face.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 08:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destonius:
Sorry, 3 million units in Japan & US. Duh!!
I don't think the number still adds up to 3 million for they only sold little over 500,000 at US launch.

Don't forget, Gamegear and Wonder Swan sold millions and millions before disappearing from the scene.
[/QUOTE

Apparently these fanboys cant do simple addition. tsk tsk...and your all 30-somethings...lol.

The PSP launch has been phenominal all over the world.... i wish Sony would release ACTUAL sales figures and put these Nintendo fanboys in their place. i mean enough is enough. First you have Bloomberg reporting Nintendo's profits double year on year, then Nintendo announces the biggest console launch in the UK and Australia... i mean, this is like a consipracy or something by the press. And how on earth is the XBox NOT a success ? i mean they had a great launch(sausage fest), and have sold million, so what if theyre loosing millions and millions ? That 'crappy' kiddy-Nintendo is so dead..i mean selling millions, breaking records, doubling profits, winning awards, innovating...huh... they wont be making games anymore cause no one wants them around.... whice leaves me to wonder where they actually get their money from ?

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 09:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
[B]
Originally posted by Destonius:

Apparently these fanboys cant do simple addition. tsk tsk...and your all 30-somethings...lol.
Who here is 30 something and why do you keep brining that up like it is your only point?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 10:51 AM

Just buy the system or systems that have the games you're interested in playing. I have a PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, GBA, and PSP (purchased in that order) and have fun games for all of them (except the Gamecube). There will always be system exclusive titles.

I bought the Dreamcast to play Soul Calibur and Virtua Tennis. I bought the PS2 for Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, and Grand Theft Auto. I bought the Gamecube because I thought I would like Rogue Squadron, Zelda and Metroid (which I didn't like). I got the Xbox for Halo (which I also didn't like, but has been good for other games).

By far, I've gotten the most use out of the PS2, followed by the Dreamcast, then Xbox, and then Gamecube. The PS2 is good for the exclusive games, like Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo. The Xbox is good for cross platform games. If it's available on all 3 systems, I'll usually get the Xbox version. And I hate to say it, but because I didn't like Zelda and Metroid, the Gamecube has been good for nothing. Haven't turned it on in a year. That doesn't mean the Gamecube's hardware sucks, I just didn't find any compelling Gamecube exclusive games. Since there are a lot of kiddie games for it, I will probably give it to my girlfriend's daughter when she's a little older.

Anyway, I wouldn't let some personal vendetta between myself and a faceless corporation get in the way of playing a really fun game that was only available for that one console. At the same time, I'd hope that that console gave me a lot of good choices to maximise my investment.

PS. It doesn't matter which system you have, you owe it to yourself to play Beyond Good and Evil. It's cross platform, and one of the best adventure type games I've played in years. Seriously, check it out.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:

PS. It doesn't matter which system you have, you owe it to yourself to play Beyond Good and Evil. It's cross platform, and one of the best adventure type games I've played in years. Seriously, check it out.
I agree, it is a bit easy but it is amazing. Strange thing is the game bombed and was on sale for half price shortly after it came out. Seems to be a cult hit.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 12, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
Just buy the system or systems that have the games you're interested in playing. I have a PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, GBA, and PSP (purchased in that order) and have fun games for all of them (except the Gamecube).
I would love to have 48 hour days

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 12, 2005, 06:19 PM

DC owners can rub their Nintendogs with the touchscreen. PSP goes one better by allowing you to control any AIBO over wifi with no additional software.

http://www.wirelesswatch.jp/modules....ticle&sid=1276

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
DC owners can rub their Nintendogs with the touchscreen. PSP goes one better by allowing you to control any AIBO over wifi with no additional software.

http://www.wirelesswatch.jp/modules....ticle&sid=1276
do you know where we can read the full article without having to sign up?

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 12, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
do you know where we can read the full article without having to sign up?
No.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 12, 2005, 08:04 PM

I noticed that the symbol next the headphone socket is a microphone headset.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 08:32 PM

Nintendo had better shape up soon because if too many games like this come out for the DS than... yikes.

http://randomn.vgamin.com/?id=217

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
Nintendo had better shape up soon because if too many games like this come out for the DS than... yikes.

http://randomn.vgamin.com/?id=217
That is worthy of Super Nintendo.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 12, 2005, 08:47 PM

Best graphics ever

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 09:08 PM

Nintendo needs to revitalize the DS urgently. Ocarina of Time for DS?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 09:10 PM

in the ds' defense, the side scroller stages don't look too bad. maybe the 3d flying engine is not their main priority right now. let's just hope they work on it thought.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 09:35 PM

Wait, here's a slightly better pic of the game.

Oh wait, that's a pic of the actual GBA Star Wars game. Uh, WTF? Why does the GBA game look better than the DS game?

Oh yeah, and the 2D levels look like ass as well. They look like mediocre GBA graphics. Castlevania and Metroid on the GBA look 10X better than those shots.
( Last edited by ort888; Apr 12, 2005 at 11:08 PM. )

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
in the ds' defense, the side scroller stages don't look too bad.
They look just as fine on a GBA so what is the DS for?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 13, 2005, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
They look just as fine on a GBA so what is the DS for?
A doorstop or penis stretcher.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 12:30 AM

Oh remember that device that quickly came out to play MP3's and video's just like the other MODERN device:

http://planetgamecube.com/reviews.cf...profile&id=606

"You wouldn't think that the Game Boy Advance would make a good media player, but somehow Nintendo came up with a device that can turn it into one. The Play-Yan Media Player lets you listen to MP3s and watch video files using your Game Boy Advance SP. While it doesn't come close to the quality of the PSP's multimedia capability, if you take your SP with you everywhere and wish you had something else to pass the time, Play-Yan will make you happy... if you're willing to jump some hurdles."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 13, 2005, 12:49 AM

'While the video quality isn't going to come anywhere close to that of the PSP, you'll be very surprised at how well the Play-Yan does video.'

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 02:02 AM

GBA

DS

Look at how much detail and depth there are in the two GBA games. They both look WAY better than Star Wars on the DS.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 13, 2005, 02:06 AM

My cellphone has better graphics than both.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 02:09 AM

What kind of phone do you have?

There is no way your cell phone looks better than the GBA Castlevania or Metroid. They both look much better in action than they do in pictures. Have you played either?

Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by ort888:

Wait, here's a slightly better pic of the game.

Oh wait, that's a pic of the actual GBA Star Wars game. Uh, WTF? Why does the GBA game look better than the DS game?

Oh yeah, and the 2D levels look like ass as well. They look like mediocre GBA graphics. Castlevania and Metroid on the GBA look 10X better than those shots.
Well, it's not the hardware that is at issue, it's the software. I wouldn't call it bad programming, but the DS stuff you showed does look rushed. One can only produce so much when under time constraints.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 07:25 AM

yeah, i agree. it was rushed.... but considering it's sold more units globally than PSP, thats pretty darn good for a rushed system, if you ask me....when compared to one that was announced like 2 years ago. Either way....kinda reminds me of when Mac gamers and PC gamers argue.....PC gamers always claim better performance, cause the software was finetuned for their processor, drivers, etc. And mac users have to offer a legit rebutal, that the software is not taking advantage of the hardware....well what d'ya know. yet another analogy between Apple and Nintendo as a company, for it's users and of the support they each have from developers.

So how come your picking on this game that dosent take advantage of the DS hardware, shouldnt you be playing a photo realistic MGS card game ? Now theres a game that takes FULL advantage of the hardware it's on(not even joking) lol

Meh...i dont own or even want either handheld now anyway.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 13, 2005 at 07:33 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2005, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Good..then get out of these threads.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 08:17 AM

yeah, i agree. it was rushed.... but considering it's sold more units globally than PSP, thats pretty darn good for a rushed system, if you ask me....when compared to one that was announced like 2 years ago. Either way....kinda reminds me of when Mac gamers and PC gamers argue.....PC gamers always claim better performance, cause the software was finetuned for their processor, drivers, etc. And mac users have to offer a legit rebutal, that the software is not taking advantage of the hardware....well what d'ya know. yet another analogy between Apple and Nintendo as a company, for it's users and of the support they each have from developers.

So how come your picking on this game that dosent take advantage of the DS hardware, shouldnt you be playing a photo realistic MGS card game ? Now theres a game that takes FULL advantage of the hardware it's on(not even joking) lol

You just said that the PSP offers more games and more developer support than the DS, just like the PC has more game support. You just called the DS 'the Mac of portable gaming'. How can you still not made up your mind about not wanting either?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 10:23 AM

yeah, i agree. it was rushed.... but considering it's sold more units globally than PSP, thats pretty darn good for a rushed system
The one fact you purposely ignore time and again is that the DS has been out longer with a worldwide distribution. How can you not understand something like that?

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
The one fact you purposely ignore time and again is that the DS has been out longer with a worldwide distribution. How can you not understand something like that?
It's not exactly a secret that the DS was quickly developed as a response to Sony's PSP. Nintendo hadn't released a new handheld now if it wasn't for the announcement of the PSP in 2003.

I bet they thought they'd get a better prize advantage, though (Sony loses about $150-200 on each unit, which is the same strategy MS used with the Xbox when it was up against the initially cheaper GC).
( Last edited by Busemann; Apr 13, 2005 at 12:25 PM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
Dude, whats the matter with you ? YES I KNOW THE DS has been out longer in global distribution !! so what ? the PS2 was out a whole 18 months more than the Gamecube. Is that an excuse ? does that change the fact that the PS2 has a commanding lead ? NO. just like the DS still has a lead over the PSP. why dont YOU ACKNOLEDGE THAT FACT ?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 08:34 AM

i bought mlb (baseball) yesterday. awesome game.

i wrote a review yesterday and posted it to psp411.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Dude, whats the matter with you ? YES I KNOW THE DS has been out longer in global distribution !! so what ? the PS2 was out a whole 18 months more than the Gamecube. Is that an excuse ? does that change the fact that the PS2 has a commanding lead ? NO. just like the DS still has a lead over the PSP. why dont YOU ACKNOLEDGE THAT FACT ?
I am saying anything that is on the market longer, at christmas worldwide would naturally have greater over all sales.

The PSP is having higher weekly sales for a month though

blue storm 1337
Baninated
Apr 14, 2005, 10:14 AM

HOW DARE YOU ACNOLIGE THAT!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 10:31 AM

I am saying anything that is on the market longer, at christmas worldwide would naturally have greater over all sales.

So what ? when they reduced the price of the GameCube to $99, it probably had higher overall sales than the PS2 per week. The PSP still hasnt overtaken the DS as far as total sales, im not saying that its incapable, just that it hasnt happened !!! good lord man.....im just stating the facts of total sales when i mention sales figures, and im not denying the fact that the PSP has higher weekly sales than the DS. THAT STILL Dosent change that there are more ppl with DSs out there than PSP !!

Sheesh
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 15, 2005 at 01:32 AM. )

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
So what ? when they reduced the price of the GameCube to $99, it probably had higher overall sales than the PS2. The PSP still hasnt overtaken the DS as far as total sales, im not saying that its incapable, just that it hasnt happened !!! good lord man.....im just stating the facts of total sales when i mention sales figures, Sheesh
How can you use "probably had higher sales" and "stating the facts" in the same breath

Forum Links
Forum Rules