Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My girlfriend thinks the earth is 4000 years old

My girlfriend thinks the earth is 4000 years old (Page 22)
Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 19, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
Listen buddy, I'm not interested in trading insults with you. I thought I made that clear. Your position was weak, your arguments even weaker. You shot your wad and all you have left is to lash out at me. Nobody cares.

Go away.
If you are trying to convince us or whoever you are not interesting in trading insults, you failed.

Er I mean failed again.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 19, 2004, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Hey! Stop insulting Dio! They're one of my favorite "hair/metal" bands... along with Dokken and Iron Maiden). Ronnie's lyrics make far more sense than benign's.

Both Dio and benign try to muddy their waters to appear deep.

That was my point.

benign posts in the way he does hoping people will see him as some sort of super-intellectual person. But he isn't too good at it, so it comes off amateurish and pretentious.

If he would actually spend more time debating, and less time worrying about 'structure" maybe he wouldn't say the same things over and over again ad-nauseum.

But then again, he has shown himself to be a one-trick pony already.

Forcing even the people who share his ideals, to not take him seriously.
( Last edited by Zimphire; Jan 19, 2004 at 02:21 PM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 19, 2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by benign:

Do you want mummy to bring
something that you can swallow
and not get off the fence for ?
find non-superstitious ideas too
flavorsome.

How are you finding school ?
In other words, you have nothing more to add to this discussion.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2004, 02:42 PM

In a single stroke you debase
every religions validity.

Man has no knowledge of, or could
ever know the plans or reasoning
of any possible creator -
but can only sniff at where his butt
might have been. That is the value
of all religious texts and the men
who maintain them.

This is my understanding of what
it means to be human and trying
to make sense of it through superstitious
reasoning. It is all man made sophistry
and empowering lies.

We are all the same - alone and without
reason - all we have is each other and
the possibility of a better tomorrow.
Huh??? Oh, it's just you with the same old BS.

OH, BTW, Zimph I wasn't being serious... was a joke (the Dio thing). Yeah, I like `em, but I wasn't being critical.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 19, 2004, 02:45 PM

:OH, BTW, Zimph I wasn't being serious... was a joke (the Dio thing). Yeah, I like `em, but I wasn't being critical.
Good, you were scaring me.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 05:37 PM

Fence sitting cowboy...

Do you want mummy to bring
something that you can swallow
and not get off the fence for ?
find non-superstitious ideas too
flavorsome.

How are you finding school ?
Eh? Speak English please. Are you saying I'm superstitious? Finding school?

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2004, 05:53 PM

In a single stroke you debase
every religions validity.
Wow, he's talented. You're still lumping too many religions into the same group. Do some research.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Wow, he's talented. You're still lumping too many religions into the same group. Do some research.
Guess I didn't know my own strength.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2004, 06:50 AM

Right one? The "messianic"/Christ consciousness is a part of all cultures and has been revealed to them in the way that it can best be understood by them. Whatever they call their "Christ" (ie. Jesus, Buddah, Krishnah, Balder, Dionysus, Osiris/Horus, etc.) is irrelevant, they're all a part of the same ideal. All are archetypes for the same "being".

"A Rose by any other name..."
To some extent, yes. It is believed by most Christians (including the Catholic Church) that these leaders are not wrong, but they are not 100% true. They show 'elements' of the truth.
In vino veritas.

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 07:41 AM

!! I've been out of the lounge and missed this thread......
...Amazing and frightening...
...quoting the bible as if it contains scientific evidence is very, very frightening...
..if this is the way the USA is going, then... God bless us all!

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 08:03 AM

Right one? The "messianic"/Christ consciousness is a part of all cultures and has been revealed to them in the way that it can best be understood by them. Whatever they call their "Christ" (ie. Jesus, Buddah, Krishnah, Balder, Dionysus, Osiris/Horus, etc.) is irrelevant, they're all a part of the same ideal. All are archetypes for the same "being".

"A Rose by any other name..."

That is one huge leap of conjecture there. It's one thing to note that many, not all, but many cultures have an archetypal hero/saviour; but to assume that it's Messianic/Christ is to apply very Judaic/Christian characteristics to completely different personalities, and is stretching things too much.

What's more likely? that we humans who came out from a small group in Africa carrying traditions, stories, and basic human traits? ; or that we had some Messianic figures, whose connections are tenuous, 'revealed' to us over time?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:

That is one huge leap of conjecture there. It's one thing to note that many, not all, but many cultures have an archetypal hero/saviour; but to assume that it's Messianic/Christ is to apply very Judaic/Christian characteristics to completely different personalities, and is stretching things too much.

What's more likely? that we humans who came out from a small group in Africa carrying traditions, stories, and basic human traits? ; or that we had some Messianic figures, whose connections are tenuous, 'revealed' to us over time? [/B]
Jung theorized that all cultures are revealed the "truth" in their own time and in a way that they would best understand, my statement about "Christ" and a messianic consciousness is, IMO, a global phenomena. Yes, I believe any culture that has evolved to a certain evolutionary point "gives birth" to a particular archetype which is the ideal of what the perfect human could be... one that is in complete touch with "the Divine" yet also of flesh.

Also, fossil records would indicate that man came out of Africa and the Middle East some 140-150K years ago. I doubt very seriously that a particular ideology would survive that long, given man's primative state at that time. FWIW, I can see those individuals having a very basic concept of a "God", but nothing on the order of anything even remotely organized or uniform.
- Thomas Paine

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 01:10 PM

Jung theorized that all cultures are revealed the "truth" in their own time and in a way that they would best understand, my statement about "Christ" and a messianic consciousness is, IMO, a global phenomena. Yes, I believe any culture that has evolved to a certain evolutionary point "gives birth" to a particular archetype which is the ideal of what the perfect human could be... one that is in complete touch with "the Divine" yet also of flesh.

Also, fossil records would indicate that man came out of Africa and the Middle East some 140-150K years ago. I doubt very seriously that a particular ideology would survive that long, given man's primative state at that time. FWIW, I can see those individuals having a very basic concept of a "God", but nothing on the order of anything even remotely organized or uniform.
The African example was a bad one, although we did come out of Africa, there's another theory out there that modern man suffered a cataclym which reduced the population to just a few thousand, and in which we descend from.
But I guess the point is that, just like psychological profiles today have a basis in the ancient world (Babylonian eniagram for example); so can human ideologies, and the creation of ideas, rolled up into Gods. They have a far more reasonable explanation, in which we have carried these notions, built them up over millenia, rather than assuming we have had them revealed from a higher power.

I take issue with quite a few of Jung's theories, Joseph Campbell would also put together an altogether different hypothesis on the archetypal hero in the ancient world.

We could put revelation into why this happened, but isn't it more likely that we are just predisposed to creating Gods/saviours that reflect our highest ideals, reflect our perceived salvation?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2005, 09:13 AM

The African example was a bad one, although we did come out of Africa, there's another theory out there that modern man suffered a cataclym which reduced the population to just a few thousand, and in which we descend from.
But I guess the point is that, just like psychological profiles today have a basis in the ancient world (Babylonian eniagram for example); so can human ideologies, and the creation of ideas, rolled up into Gods. They have a far more reasonable explanation, in which we have carried these notions, built them up over millenia, rather than assuming we have had them revealed from a higher power.

I take issue with quite a few of Jung's theories, Joseph Campbell would also put together an altogether different hypothesis on the archetypal hero in the ancient world.

We could put revelation into why this happened, but isn't it more likely that we are just predisposed to creating Gods/saviours that reflect our highest ideals, reflect our perceived salvation?
Maybe we came from mars
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

roberto blanco
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 09:20 AM

...but isn't it more likely that we are just predisposed to creating Gods/saviours that reflect our highest ideals, reflect our perceived salvation?
you don't need to study cultural anthropolgy for a long time to figure out that such a hypothesis is completely false.

once you get down to the "nitty gritty" though, you realise that there are virtually no "religious" (the idea of "religion" in itself reflects a western bias) universals.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
Maybe we came from mars
I want this to be the last post ever made in this thread.

The last one.

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2005, 09:39 AM

We are stardust.
-\
-/

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2005, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:

The last one.
Yeah, me too.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Yeah, me too.
me too.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 03:21 PM

me too.
Me three. This thread is not Jesus.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 03:59 PM

The last one.
If only we could be so lucky.

Though one of my college room mates believes that the 1) the earth is only 6000 years old 2) The dinosaurs and people lived together on earth up until the Flood 3) Dragons in ancient stories are Dinosaurs 4) That he will one day get a Physics PHD.

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 05:30 PM

hey, what's going on in here?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2005, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
Though one of my college room mates believes that...

...Dragons in ancient stories are Dinosaurs...
If you found a dinosaur skeleton 1000 years ago, what would you make of it?

Scientist  (op)
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 08:07 PM

Wow, this thread brings back some crazy memories. Fortunately I am now dating a level headed agnostic. No more young earth creationists for me!
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Scientist:
Wow, this thread brings back some crazy memories. Fortunately I am now dating a level headed agnostic. No more young earth creationists for me!
Sweet

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
If you found a dinosaur skeleton 1000 years ago, what would you make of it?
Uh... I'd make a dinosaur.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 09:15 PM

Why the fuck is this thread so long????

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
This thread is now about its lenght.

i_rooster
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2005, 09:19 PM

I guess it takes a lot of discussion here to convince oneself that earth is older than 4000 years!?

waky waky!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2005, 09:38 PM

Holy Crap. Time flies. This thread is over 1 freakin year old. I can't believe it. I'm getting old quick. Another reason to believe the Earth has to be more than 4000 years old.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2005, 09:48 PM

This question will be debated for as long as humans live. It may very well be possible that we are actually aliens on this planet and we arrived about 4000 years ago form a similar planet far far away. This is not a new thought if people have read Erich Daniken's works.
( Last edited by sugar_coated; Feb 13, 2005 at 10:01 PM. )
-\
-/

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
because it just fucking is... damnit!

Zach

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2005, 11:57 PM

it just shows how boring things use to be lol
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
it just shows how boring things use to be lol
Or how dumb people used to be... oh wait... I guess not much has changed. There's still lots of people unable to face reality.
( Last edited by itistoday; Feb 14, 2005 at 12:15 AM. )

historylme
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 01:52 AM

I'm all for never seeing this thread again.

When I think of zombie threads, this one defines the term.

Crazy **** that it still going.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 14, 2005, 01:58 AM

Well this thread is locked for a couple reasons. First and foremost, religious topics no longer go here and therefore, I'd have to move this one. Second, moving is worthless because the topic isn't even being discussed, 90% of 2005 posts in this thread are about the thread being long and old. So bye-bye. Another time perhaps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules