Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 24)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Weird, last week i popped The Legend of Zelda A Link To the Past (a personal favorite) and beat that and have spent some time this week playing Super Metroid (i found my snes in the closet when i got home from school) inbetween playing GRID for the 360 (for some reason i must purchase every racing game released)
Ahhh Link to the Past, my second favorite game of all time. First is Super Metroid....fastest I've ever beaten the game is 49 minutes. I've mastered wall jumping, sideways boosting, learned all the secrets. I can get to the end Boss with only 4 energy containers. Man I love that game...I really got find that DC converter.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
COD4 is a great military FPS, but it's not in the same realm of fantasy sci-fi story that Half-Life has. They may both be FPS, but that's where the similarities end.
Right, but if you reexamine my post, and subsequently look upon his post, particularly the part I quoted, you will notice that he did not denote a particular type of FPS, only that it was a FPS. As you have already declared, COD4 is also a FPS, and as such, these two fall in the same category, by-which they must be valued equally when calling favs

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Right, but if you reexamine my post, and subsequently look upon his post, particularly the part I quoted, you will notice that he did not denote a particular type of FPS, only that it was a FPS. BLAH BLAH BLAH b/s about how fatty is wrong or something
I would respectfully disagree with COD4 being placed in my top 3, I have played it and my comments would be short and sweet just like the game, a great single player experience is first and foremost what makes a FPS for me and the COD4 campaign is exciting/shocking/and original for a war shooter but thats where it ends, its short and bland besides the awe effect. Although it would definitely make my top 10.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Ahhh Link to the Past, my second favorite game of all time. First is Super Metroid....fastest I've ever beaten the game is 49 minutes. I've mastered wall jumping, sideways boosting, learned all the secrets. I can get to the end Boss with only 4 energy containers. Man I love that game...I really got find that DC converter.
It seems as if your metroid skills could demolish your sniper or RR shot skills (which is saying something),
"Impressive, Most Impressive..."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 07:42 AM

I assume you know of the speed booster power-up so I'll let you in on a little trick.

I found that practicing this outside where there is plenty of running room works great.

Hold down run until Samus starts to glow, you know, when she can bust through bricks and all that ****. Jump in the air and hit down once, Samus will look at the ground while flying through the air. The second you come into contact with the ground hit down again. You will now be in a ball traveling at the same speed you were boosting at, you will also still be able to bust through blocks. This can be done at any time you have the morph ball, you just won't move as fast as if you had the speed booster.

Also, when speed boosting I assume you don't know how to hold a charge and release it? Speed Boost until Samus is glowing and hold down. Samus will blink like crazy and a crazy sound will start going off. Hit jump and you will rocket upward until somethings stops you. You can do this diagonally up, or even sideways (sideways is a little tricky)

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 06:12 PM

In the rumor section of the new EGM, they say that the 360 downloadable content will involve a new lead character who is a biker.

It's just a rumor but who knows.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
In the rumor section of the new EGM, they say that the 360 downloadable content will involve a new lead character who is a biker.

It's just a rumor but who knows.

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 07:14 PM

What is that?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 07:31 PM

Full Throttle. Get some freaking culture. Sheesh!

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Full Throttle. Get some freaking culture. Sheesh!

What was it on?

Edit: A computer game?! You people don't know who you're talking to here.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 07:43 PM

any good rat and ramp maps out there?
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 07:44 PM

There's the game guide torrent, if you're not uptight.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
any good rat and ramp maps out there?
Xbox360Achievements.org - Every Point Counts

All glory to the hypnotoad.

admo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2008, 08:55 AM

For rats, I was using one of the FAQs at gamefaqs.com. it's not a map, but a descriptive guide, with turn by turn directions to each rat. I got about 170 or so so far, and it pretty good. Occasionally the directions are wrong (left instead of right, for example), but if you take it slow, you can quickly figure out when is meant in the guide, as they give landmark descriptions and street names quite often. Plus, it's been updated since the version I am using, so the current one there may be more accurate.

WirelessPro
Baninated
Jun 25, 2008, 09:45 AM

I still need to get this game. I've been hearing nothing but amazing things.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 12:22 PM

I finally got all the rats and jumps and stuff. All I need now (I think) is to take the remaining friends out to do every activity (and beat them at each one). I'm at about 95.34% completed. Rawr!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 12:27 PM

Enjoy Dwayne's stimulating conversation. And pick up Roman with a bike everytime, so you can hear the same joke everytime.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 05:51 PM

Well I killed Dwayne, and Roman is dead. All I have left are Jacob, Packie and Brucie. I actually don't mind taking those guys out. Brucie is still hilarious.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2008, 10:36 AM

So what happens when you hit 100%? Unless you can play as Luigi or something I can't see it being worth it.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Well I killed Dwayne, and Roman is dead. All I have left are Jacob, Packie and Brucie. I actually don't mind taking those guys out. Brucie is still hilarious.
Way to leave a path of destruction.

You chose... poorly.

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
So what happens when you hit 100%? Unless you can play as Luigi or something I can't see it being worth it.
Unlimited ammo. I don't wonder if that'll be removed once DLC hits.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 11:43 AM

45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 11:52 AM

Not exactly news if you've played multi. Though at least the question as to whether it was platform specific was resolved a few weeks ago.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 12:28 PM

The Zombie skin is also available on the 360?
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 12:30 PM

Yes. As I understand it, you have to have a certain rank to access it. I'm Either 2 or 3, and I've seen the option in the Model screen in Multi.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Unlimited ammo. I don't wonder if that'll be removed once DLC hits.
Big whoop. once you finish the game and call one of the cheat phone numbers you have all the ammo, weather and vehicle spawning commands conveniently saved in the phone menu.

I refill weapons, spawn attack choppers and lower police levels all I like.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 03:05 PM

Actually, unlimited ammo isn't technically correct. Lack of ammo caps would be better phrasing.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Any have success with the Carmen phone heal thing? I call her and she just tells me to rest, or is that it. Your health gets restored when you lie down. Did it not do this before Carmen reaches >75%?
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I've found it to be glitchy at best. The only way I've gotten it to work is to stop moving completely, call Carmen, and not move again until your health rises. And even then it only works some of the time.
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I followed your instructions a long time ago, jokell, and as long as you don't move it works. But you also can not skip through the conversation. Nothing has happened every time I've done that.
There was a patch this week that fixed the health boost, it never worked for me (PS3)
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2008, 11:18 AM

OK, I used the map and videos provided 007craft(360) and I am 1 flying rat short. I went in order, there were about 19 I killed during game play, but went to all spots anyway. Is it possible that there is a difference between the 360 and PS3 locations. (I have a PS3)
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2008, 11:21 AM

I highly, highly doubt it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2008, 11:34 AM

Damn, I guess I'll have to go through the list again. There was one I am sure I did not shoot during gameplay that was not there. (189)

update
This was weird. I was going back through the flying rat list and I was at 98 (the one on the barge outside the safe house) flying over it in an annihilator, no pigeon. I decided to strafe traffic along the river. Still hovering over the barge there it was, were there was no pigeon 2 minutes before.
( Last edited by Chongo; Jul 7, 2008 at 05:03 PM. )
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2008, 01:46 AM

45/47

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2008, 12:24 PM

So I'm at 98.33% and I have no idea what I'm missing. I got all the pigeons, jumps, storyline, etc. I looked up what you need to do and I seem to have done everything. I'm thinking I'm missing a 2nd meet up with random character or something. But I haven't seen one in ages. Spent all weekend taking my friends out to do crap, but that didn't help. I'm bummed since I can't figure out how to get the final 1.63%. Grrrr!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2008, 12:25 PM

1.66% looks like a friend events percentage. Like dates with Jacob, Brucie or Packie.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2008, 03:09 PM

Yeah I'm almost positive I've done every activity with those 3 dudes. I spent the weekend doing that. Of course there's a possibility I missed something. On the events where you play a game (pool, bowling, darts) I even went as far as beating each of those 3 dudes at each event, not just playing them.

With all of the stats Rockstar gives you, why can't they tell you what you're missing to get to 100%? Or at least tell you when you've reached the requirement for each stat that relates to getting to 100%.

(Oh and oops, it is indeed 1.67%, not the 1.63% I stated earlier.)

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2008, 03:10 PM

I don't know. Keeping you in the dark about completed stunt jumps/pigeons locations, friends and activities just seems like a unnecessary hurdle.

ElRae
Baninated
Jul 8, 2008, 01:34 AM

PS3 owners should add me to their friend's list, user ID:

cash68rp69

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2008, 08:21 AM

Cash68??
You're gonna be my first contact...

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 12:01 PM

anyone mess with the car cannon in Broker?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU795dQ-Ahg
45/47

admo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 12:56 PM

The car cannon, is that the swing set launcher? (I can't access you tube from work). It's great fun. I'm not sure if the kind of vehicle makes a difference or if it is just coincidence, but I found that the ice cream truck gets launched spectacularly.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by admo View Post
The car cannon, is that the swing set launcher? (I can't access you tube from work). It's great fun. I'm not sure if the kind of vehicle makes a difference or if it is just coincidence, but I found that the ice cream truck gets launched spectacularly.
Yes. You have to back in or Niko get thrown from the vehicle. Great fun, almost as fun as dropping to the Jet Max boat on crowds. You can drop it on a cop without getting wanted status
45/47

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 04:17 PM

How do you do that exactly? That looks like fun times.

admo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2008, 04:29 PM

Just get any vehicle and back into the swing set. I think in the linked video it shows the location on the map. There are two swing sets in the park, and they both seem to work, but the more northern one seems to work better, either because it does, or perhaps it is just easier to get a car to. The trick is to just back lightly onto the set, such that you are just barely touching it. And just wait. Sometimes you get launched instantly, other times it takes 5 or 10 seconds. If you fail to launch, back up just a bit more and repeat. You could smash into it hard, or drive inside the swing, but often that doesn't launch you or just sends you off to the nearby bench. Going forward also works, but Niko often falls out the windshield.

What is almost better than the launch itself is the utter deformation of the cars. The ice cream truck I did once became practically two dimensional, the left and right sides seemed no more than 3 feet apart. Only one wheel turned. It's a blast.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 05:34 PM

Awesome. I wonder if that's a glitch or if it was meant to be there. Either way I gotta try that when I get home.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 04:55 PM

I think I know what the additional content will be.
The pigeons have started a zombie plague and Niko and friends must rid LC of them. Why else the zombie in the multi player game?
45/47

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 05:33 AM

The swingset launcher is a lot of fun. Spent an evening launching all sorts of vehicles from it, including the attack helicopter

Seeing just how much you could squash things was a lot of fun. Damage modelling really is incredible:

Also managed to somehow get the bus stuck under the set so hard it glitched and I was stuck with an invisible bus. Hilariously fun to fly Niko around town and over stunt jumps after

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 12:38 PM

I still don't get why cars are constantly disappearing from my safe houses!
I just got Florian's Lamborghini, parked it in front of my house on Algonquin...and after a few saves it was gone! Damn!!!
Luckily I parked a few more Lambos in Bohan because it seemed to be Lambo day when I was there last time!
(and no, I don't think those cars were pushed out of the yellow lines)

Progress: 61.51%
Times Busted: 0
Times Died: 7
People Killed: 447
Playing Time: 53:12:36
Longest non-stop game: 6:50:47 (damn)
Cars stolen: 155
Bikes: 5 (???)
Boats: 10
Helicopters: 2 (????????? definitely more)
Stars attained/evaded: 156/144
People run down: 163

Miles on foot: 103.45
by car: 758.68
swam: 0.70
Bike: 53.32
Heli: 47.39
Boat: 26.22
Train: 1.58
Taxi: 390.31 (I love taxis)
Average speed: 51.46 (breaks? what for?)
Farthest jump distance: 236.00 (didn't do many stunts yet)
Highest jump reached: 118.89
Air Launches: 759
Farthest Wheelie: 809.18

Money spent on health care: $36109 (I have an insurance )
Picked up on street: $16543

Longest free fall: 156.82

Bullets fired: 7912
Headshot kills: ??? can't find that one
Time spent in cover: 01:05:13
Accuracy: 60%
Free aim: 27%

QUB3D high score: 0

Meals eaten: 25
Cutscenes watched: 258

and for hilarity's sake
Scored with girl: 13
Prostitute visits: 0 (I swear it was 2)

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 01:03 PM

Make sure your good cars are fully within the parking area in front of your safe house. If its even a little over the line, it has a chance of vanishing. At least thats what I found.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 01:40 PM

Yeah, I know - all those cars were fully within the parking area!
I just came to another safe house wich had already some van parking in front...and parked a croquette behind it.
Then I saved the game and came out again - the van was gone and the croquette had moved to the front!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 10:42 AM

Her's a video I took with Niko using the boat cheat to make a little cash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMePDQKMpM
45/47

admo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2008, 11:15 AM

Here's my little annihilator story.

Finally got my last of 200 pigeons last night. Saved my game and then went to the top of the building to claim my annihilator! Uh, oh, not there. So I took the little cart back to the street, hailed a cab and took it to the heiltours. Flew to the building, and there it is. Tried to gently put down somewhere on the building, but there isn't really any room. So I hovered near the edge and jumped for it. I made it safely to the roof, but my out-of-control helitour copter crashed into the annihilator, turning the annihilator upside down, rendering it uselss. Miraculously, my helitours copter was upright, straddling the helipad and the metal mesh walkway. I was able to get in and take off, but the rear rotor was missing, and the thing just spun like a top, and gleefully crashed into the street below. Never did get in the attack copter (I'll try again later), but had a lot of fun not doing it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules