Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 24)
andi*pandi
Mar 13, 2006, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by gumby5647
has anyone else noticed that the cylons each have an important role in society?

Simon: A doctor
Brother Calvin: Priest
Lucy Lawless: Journalist
Boomer: Military
Six: Seductress
Doral: PR Rep/Politics
Leobin: um...*shrug* business man?

So using this logic, can we assume that other cylons play other important roles in their society?
that list sounds familiar... all they need now is a pilot, a captain, and a crazy girl. but thanks for rounding up the "known" cyclon models, I've been wondering.

Great finale, love the year jump--why waste the time showing the settling, when you can show the results so much more powerfully!

Helo is onship with Adama... where is boomer, do you suppose?

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by awcopus
I would rather they really take their time and make the next season as good or better than this one. It seems like so much on tv is rushed out the door to fill the space between commercials.

October will be here before we know it. Look how fast a year went by in that last episode.

Meanwhile, there's another half season of Lost.
"Battlestar Galactica begins shooting its third season in April in Vancouver, Canada."

So in other words even though it will be finished early they will shelve it till October.

"Barwaraaawww"

Myriad
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2006, 08:35 PM

I just want to know if we're going to have to deal with fat Apollo for all of season 3. Lee having put on a little pudge is good for illustrating what the general mood was above New Caprica, but there's no way in hell I can take him seriously as a character if he walks around with the fat man's gait continually. Here's hoping the padded uniform gets done away with not too far into season 3.
Have you seen me?

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 05:11 AM

I really like the soundtrack to this show. Is it available somewhere? Maybe on BT?

N/M. Found it.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2006, 08:42 AM

Meanwhile, there's another half season of Lost.
And don't forget about Prison Break, either. I believe it starts back up this coming Monday, and I've really enjoyed it.

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 14, 2006, 10:36 AM

I never got into Lost.

24 is a good show. I find it ironic that the main star is Canadian as are many of the guest stars, given that the show is sort of a Rah Rah USA type show (and it's filmed in the USA). I wonder if Kiefer Sutherland has pushed some sort of Canadian actor affirmative action thing here.

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
I really like the soundtrack to this show. Is it available somewhere? Maybe on BT?
Do you like Korean soap operas?

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2006, 10:46 AM

Well, I would describe my two fav shows (the only ones I watch) as like 24 is the most thrilling, BSG the most interesting show. I mean, it just doesn't get more thrilling than 24. BUT, in BSG, you have great character development, and more diverse story lines. Both shows have a different approach to entertain, both are top notch in their respective area. IMHO.

Can't wait for the 3rd season!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
Well, I would describe my two fav shows (the only ones I watch) as like 24 is the most thrilling, BSG the most interesting show. I mean, it just doesn't get more thrilling than 24. BUT, in BSG, you have great character development, and more diverse story lines. Both shows have a different approach to entertain, both are top notch in their respective area. IMHO.

Can't wait for the 3rd season!
I agree. BSG has much more of a universe () in which everything exists which can be explored in interesting ways, whereas 24 is a 43 minute adrenaline rush every week. Very different approaches.

The one thing in common about the approach of both shows though is the ability of the writers to kill off significant characters on a regular basis. Keeps us guessing.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 12:40 PM

Cliffhanger for season 3.... Adam's dead son is a Cylon!

"Barwaraaawww"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Myriad
I just want to know if we're going to have to deal with fat Apollo for all of season 3. Lee having put on a little pudge is good for illustrating what the general mood was above New Caprica, but there's no way in hell I can take him seriously as a character if he walks around with the fat man's gait continually. Here's hoping the padded uniform gets done away with not too far into season 3.
Expect it to slowly go away. Obviously, food is abundant on the planet, but if the fleet has to keep its distance while determining what to do next, he won't be eating much!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 01:19 PM

That fat makeup is expensive and time consuming. I would think they would want to get rid of it as soon as possible.

"Barwaraaawww"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
And don't forget about Prison Break, either. I believe it starts back up this coming Monday, and I've really enjoyed it.

I'm boycotting Prison Break after the Arrested Development debacle.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

awcopus
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
"Battlestar Galactica begins shooting its third season in April in Vancouver, Canada."

So in other words even though it will be finished early they will shelve it till October.
As a professional video producer and filmmaker, I'm always amazed at how much time is needed to complete projects that do not even begin to be as complicated as BSG.

They start shooting what they've already got written in April, but they'll be doing more writing and more shooting throughout the Summer, not to mention post-production special effects and audio work... reshooting, re-editing... art direction for multiple sets... color-correcting and sound editing and voice-overs....

It's not like they start with a perfect script, shoot scenes in order, compile scenes like building blocks and then output it for broadcast and iTunes.

This is a huge production. A 100 minute theatrical release can take 6 months to produce. BSG's first half of the season is about 450 minutes long, with far more overlapping stories and continuity issues than a typical movie, and they have about the same time-frame within which to pull it off. It sucks to wait, but believe me, they're going to be busting hump all the way until October.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 04:07 PM

As a professional video producer and filmmaker, I'm always amazed at how much time is needed to complete projects that do not even begin to be as complicated as BSG.

They start shooting what they've already got written in April, but they'll be doing more writing and more shooting throughout the Summer, not to mention post-production special effects and audio work... reshooting, re-editing... art direction for multiple sets... color-correcting and sound editing and voice-overs....

It's not like they start with a perfect script, shoot scenes in order, compile scenes like building blocks and then output it for broadcast and iTunes.

This is a huge production. A 100 minute theatrical release can take 6 months to produce. BSG's first half of the season is about 450 minutes long, with far more overlapping stories and continuity issues than a typical movie, and they have about the same time-frame within which to pull it off. It sucks to wait, but believe me, they're going to be busting hump all the way until October.
Movies, yes. TV shows. NO. Even shows like star trek had much higher turn around times. The special effects department had a week to come up with a new ship design and all sets needed.

Star Trek's were all filmed within 5 days, post production was about 3 months.

"Barwaraaawww"

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 01:26 PM

Who was the guy that was looking for Kara at the end of the episode? Was it that Cylon that was inside that they found inside the weapons depot?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2006, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
Who was the guy that was looking for Kara at the end of the episode? Was it that Cylon that was inside that they found inside the weapons depot?
Yes. His name is Leoben Conoy.

Well, it's likely not the same Cylon, but one of the copies.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka
More importantly the same model starbuck tortured. Heck it could be the same one resurrected, that will be interesting..

"Barwaraaawww"

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006, 03:06 PM

As much as it pains me to wait till October, the turn around is still 10x better than waiting 2 years for Sopranos episodes!!
Joe

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
What the hell am I going to do until October?

What they hell are they thinking not making new eps until October?

What the HELL?

it has something to do with lining up the start of Season 3 for everybody (US, UK, CAD) Apparently each country had a different start date, which in turn lead to more illegal downloading....
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Chloe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 05:59 PM

Ron Moore (writer and executive producer of BSG) appeared at a convention this weekend and was asked about the move to October for the debut of Season 3. He said it was to allow for more production time. As for where Sharon was, he was not telling; only that that will be dealt with in season 3.

For the person who wanted the BSG soundtrack, it is available on amazon (and lots of other places, I'd imagine) and you want the one by Bear McCreary. I agree that it's a great soundtrack. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 01:42 AM

Ah ha! Just like I guessed a year ago... they are making a spin off! It takes place 50 years ago!!!!

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-sc...news-headlines

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2006, 04:16 AM

Spin offs.... good lord... prequels. That always goes over well...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Spin offs.... good lord... prequels. That always goes over well...
They sometimes work well. Look at DS9, it was the best of the series.

I think this is a great thing to do with BSG. I mean they will show the lead up creating the first cylon, possibly the war and hopefully the BSG when she is a state of the art ship.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 11:56 AM

"Caprica" will be set more than 50 years prior to the events of "Battlestar Galactica" and focus on the lives of two families -- the Adamas (ancestors of future Galactica commander William) and the Graystones. Humankind's Twelve Colonies are at peace and on the verge of a technological breakthrough: the first Cylon.

As "Battlestar Galactica" is about a lot more than space battles, "Caprica" will be as much family drama as sci-fi tale. Remi Aubuchon ("The Lyon's Den," "24") is writing the pilot script; "Galactica" veterans Ronald D. Moore and David Eick will executive produce it.
OMG they are making "The O.C." in space.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

meelk
Baninated
Apr 27, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
OMG they are making "The O.C." in space.
exactly. how suck.

This is what I've felt about Battlestar for awhile now, that its more soap than sci-fi, and Caprica is just driving my point home.

At least theres still Stargate.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 12:35 PM

Uhh...you don't have to watch "Caprica" if you don't want to. One doesn't mean the other will start to suck, necessarily.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

meelk
Baninated
Apr 27, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Uhh...you don't have to watch "Caprica" if you don't want to. One doesn't mean the other will start to suck, necessarily.
Battlestar has been sucking since season 1 ended.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2006, 12:40 PM

I'm pretty optimistic about seeing BSG get branched off. In my opinion, the franchise (in its reimagined form, anyways) is young enough to not run the risk of having a new venture damage it.

It's basically the opposite of Enterprise, which was given the stupid role of essentially summarizing the hundreds of years of Star Trek history that had been panned out over 35 years of television, and then not following the timeline to a T.

The new BSG really can't be tied to the original. The basic idea, the ships, the names... they're all the same. But it's its own entity, with only a few years of story behind it. Which leaves the door pretty much wide open creatively for a few new additions to the family.

That, and a I trust Ron Moore to not let any Suck on board.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
Movies, yes. TV shows. NO. Even shows like star trek had much higher turn around times. The special effects department had a week to come up with a new ship design and all sets needed.

Star Trek's were all filmed within 5 days, post production was about 3 months.
That's true only because the majority of each episode was shot in existing sets. At most, they usually only had to create one or two new sets for the alien planet or ship of the week. For season 3 of BSG, a large part of the story will take place an entirely new planet. I suspect that creating a new group of sets and scouting appropriate outdoor shooting locations is contributing to the delay in addition to all of the other production issues.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
For season 3 of BSG, a large part of the story will take place an entirely new planet..
Depends which planet you're referring to. Moore has said New Caprica will only be around for about five episodes. However, we do get the Cylon homeworld.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
exactly. how suck.

This is what I've felt about Battlestar for awhile now, that its more soap than sci-fi, and Caprica is just driving my point home.

At least theres still Stargate.
I find it baffling how you can enjoy a low production dumb downed show like star Gate and not like BSG.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2006, 01:55 PM

Apparently having a consistent plot makes a show a soap.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
Battlestar has been sucking since season 1 ended.
I thought the opposite. The show started out dumb as sin and has gradually picked up steam to actually become pretty darn good. And I'd say it's actually less soapy now.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I thought the opposite. The show started out dumb as sin and has gradually picked up steam to actually become pretty darn good. And I'd say it's actually less soapy now.

I thought the opposite of both of you! I thought it started out GREAT.... truly brilliant and amazing and has stayed the same, almost getting better if possible... (with a few boring episodes here and there). Most people still reading this forum probably agree with me, I imagine.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Visnaut
Senior User
Apr 27, 2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew
Most people still reading this forum probably agree with me, I imagine.

I had a few minor nitpicks with this season, such as a few boring episodes like Black Market, and Roslin's rather quick recovery. But overall, I find it to be the best sci-fi on TV.

It's great that they're doing a spin-off too. The back story has a lot of potential. It'll be interesting if they touch on topics such as how the cylons came to believe in a God, what their motivations were from the beginning, and how that contrasts to the "current", flesh and blood equivalents. It would be interesting to see how and why they decided to become like their creators. A lot of material ripe for the picking.

I'm curious as to what the whole look of the show will be, considering the current look is very contemporary in the way they dress and act, but when they depict 50 years into the past, it's still a space-faring society that is far more advanced than ours, so the retro look can only carry so far.

All in all, I'm glad we'll be seeing more of the Galactica universe.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut

I'm curious as to what the whole look of the show will be, considering the current look is very contemporary in the way they dress and act, but when they depict 50 years into the past, it's still a space-faring society that is far more advanced than ours, so the retro look can only carry so far.
If anything, I think it will look more futuristic. Remember, they deliberately designed Galactica to be "low-tech" for security purposes. Since this will take place before the Cylons are created, then they don't have to worry about such things.

Maybe they'll even have cell phones!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2006, 12:04 PM

OK I don't want to get too geeky here but I read this line and I sounded very much like what is going on in BSG about all of this has happened before and will happen again along with we play different roles each time....

"However, this new theory suggests that there's a continuous cycle of universes, with each a repeat of the last, but not an exact replica."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4974134.stm

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 9, 2006, 12:39 PM

More Battlestar Simpsonica here.*

* Some images may contain spoilers if you're not caught up.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2006, 12:46 PM

That was unexpectedly hilarious.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2006, 01:38 PM

I almost spit up lunch!!! Battlestar Simpsonica is awesome!
Joe

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 9, 2006, 10:43 PM

Those are funny!!!!

Does anyone know when the DVD's for Season 2 part 2 come out???

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 10, 2006, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
They sometimes work well. Look at DS9, it was the best of the series.

I think this is a great thing to do with BSG. I mean they will show the lead up creating the first cylon, possibly the war and hopefully the BSG when she is a state of the art ship.
I enjoyed DS9, but it took like 3 seasons before it took off. The early eps are kind of painful to watch. Prequels are always tough to write. Look at Enterprise and Star Wars. You're limited because things HAVE to happen.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
I enjoyed DS9, but it took like 3 seasons before it took off. The early eps are kind of painful to watch. Prequels are always tough to write. Look at Enterprise and Star Wars. You're limited because things HAVE to happen.
I thought DS9 was pretty darn good by the end of season 1. It did pick up a lot when they brought in the dominion though.

I looooved the finale because it was so depressing.

OreoCookie
May 10, 2006, 11:35 AM

I agree, the first season was very interesting. I thought they were very daring through the first season, e. g. having two women kiss (which is something I don't remember seeing on other television shows from the States at that time). I liked them, they were of a different style, though. Less overarching storyline, more of a episode-by-episode thing like TNG. Some of the things I particularly enjoyed during the first three seasons: Odo was morphing and shapeshifting a lot more than later on, there were tons of funny dialogs between Quark and the rest of the crew, the list goes on.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I thought DS9 was pretty darn good by the end of season 1. It did pick up a lot when they brought in the dominion though.

I looooved the finale because it was so depressing.
The simple fact we are in a BSG thread and discussing DS9(years after)
speaks volumes.

anyhow

Why must we wait till november?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
I agree, the first season was very interesting. I thought they were very daring through the first season, e. g. having two women kiss...
That was Rejoined, and it was season four.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

OreoCookie
May 10, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by AppleJockey
Why must we wait till november?
I thought it was October, wasn't it?

OreoCookie
May 10, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Hmmm, it felt earlier than that. But it's been a while since I have watched DS9 … 

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
A couple notes of interest about that episode.

The chick that Dax kisses is the same actress who played the borg queen in all Voyager episodes but the finale.

When they kiss I always cringe as when they pull away there is this big string of spit connecting their lips

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
May 10, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
I thought it was October, wasn't it?
http://www.tvfodder.com/battlestar/a...ctober_p.shtml

yup
you are right.
still a much longer wait than the Stargates

Forum Links
Forum Rules