Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Dakar's Halo 3 Thread

Dakar's Halo 3 Thread (Page 25)
klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar . the Fourth View Post
Nice to see another Penn State education in full swing.
lol, This is true..except i skip my classes to play halo...
(i had to give this "quote" button thing a try)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2008, 02:21 PM

You can also hit Quick Reply and check the "Quote message in reply" box.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 02:21 PM

I'm so glad internet gaming didn't take off while I was at college. I would have dropped out.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You can also hit Quick Reply and check the "Quote message in reply" box.
I always wondered why the quick reply button existed there.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 02:27 PM

Thanks Chuckit, its good to have a moderator in your thread.

and internet gaming has made my college career very unproductive...i need to get through next year and graduate

BTW: i was bored (i'm in statistical analysis for ecometrics, its to be expected)... and i read the first page of this thread, quite funny actually. looking at fatty being a commander and the anticipation of ranked BTB

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 02:28 PM

Edit: double post idk, weird

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 02:32 PM

I actually just did that yesterday. Crazy to see how far we've come in 3 months.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 02:39 PM

Map update:
Originally Posted by lukems
My Tuesday could still be your Wednesday. Even if there's no 'official' press release until all of our Wednesday morning, expect something extremely late on my Tuesday.
In other words, info goes up after Midnight, EST (9 PST).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2008, 04:56 PM

I'm in stat-heaven!

Edited for incorrect information all around, it's up to 960 games so far...
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 18, 2008 at 10:47 PM. )

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 05:00 PM

It's only 400 games in chief, give it time.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Good News Everyone
Our resident cigar aficionado earned himself a promotion!

Now stogie, I gotta be honest. You're breaking my balls here. First, I saw you were a 19 around 300 xp, so I was rooting for you to get your Captainship. Then, I saw you were still a Lieutenant at 370 xp, so I was rooting for you to get your Gold bars. Then you got to 20 before that.
Yeah, I was at 19 back when my exp was 315. A couple of losing streaks later and it went back down to 17. Stepped away from TS for a bit and started kicking but in BTB. I noticed my xp increased to 350 and approaching Gold Bar status. I had to hit 20 ASAP . Luckily I did with 10 exp to spare.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2008, 05:11 PM

It's only 400 games in chief, give it time.
Why must I be so unobservant?

Question, do I keep logging back in to jog it or will this happen by itself over the next few hours?

Edit: Almost forgot to give Congrats to Stogie on the promotion! Our little man couldn't stay at Lt. forever

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
Non halo related news... Sek, Rainbow Six V2 today... i'm going to gamestop after class...
Didn't see this before!

Tell me how it is, I keep getting tempted by all the commercials I see for it.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Edit: Almost forgot to give Congrats to Stogie on the promotion! Our little man couldn't stay at Lt. forever
I seem to be going backwards with my ranking, what am i doing wrong guys? Should i start campaign again from scratch or choose a different game type to move things forward perhaps.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 01:37 AM

sek, gamestop failed me but according to them they will have it tomorrow but i won't have much time to get it between my test and NNGP practice and round 1, but once i have a chance to really try it i'll let you know...

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 03:11 AM

I'm proud to say my 3am studying for my exam has payed off.... i am the first to post about the new map pack...do your self a favor and check out all the info on Bungie.net : Legendary Map Pack

Legendary Map: Avalanche
Posted by lukems at 3/18/2008 10:51 PM PDT

"Avalanche (AKA Cotton Ball), the second map from next month’s Legendary Map pack – due April 15th for 800 marketplace points (remember, we just make the maps, we don't get to price them) – is a lovingly crafted reimagination of Halo: Combat Evolved classic Sidewinder. It wouldn’t be wholly accurate to call it a “remake,” but elements of Avalanche are certainly culled from Sidewinder – it has the same familiar U-shape, multiple ways from base-to-base, and a whole sandbox full o’ vehicles to play with. But there are many, many changes too."
( Last edited by klb5090; Mar 19, 2008 at 04:44 AM. )

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 10:34 AM

Ha, I completely forgot about that until I opened this thread this morning.

Pic(s) of the Day: Avalanche

Note the barely visible Hornet in the center.

Note the teleporter on the left.

Note the lack a real note on this picture.

---

April 15th is the big day (my guess is the Heroic becomes free the preceding Tuesday or maybe Friday announced in the Weekly update). I am now split on whether to buy the new maps as GTA comes out 11 days later. (I may fold to peer pressure on this).

---

Tonight's the big night, the opening half of our first MacNN GP season. Highlights will include me winning a pair of poles, and some assorted corpses on the outskirts of Sandtrap belonging to Gold Team.

---

I had an insane night gaming last night. I had a +12, followed by a +7 and +9 nearby, and some other assorted good and bad games (I now consistently get -5 every Construct game).

To illustrate the night, at some point I was chasing someone on my radar on the Pit, spotted him joining a teammmate with a turret. I've been oddly aggressive lately, so I chuck a grenade and the dude heads up a ramp, so I change my focus onto the turret guy. Bring him down as his teammate comes back down and starts ARing me in the back. So I grab the Turret, turnaround and maul the guy point blank, shield alarm blaring the entire time. I should not have lived.

---

Didn't see this before!
Why must you be so unobservant?

So, care to come on a hour or so early tonight so we may get you back into game-shape? What with your pretending to have a life the past 5 days.

---

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
I seem to be going backwards with my ranking, what am i doing wrong guys? Should i start campaign again from scratch or choose a different game type to move things forward perhaps.
You're only one off your highest skill last I checked, so you're not plunging, but yeah, you've been struggling for the past month.

Looking at your most used Weapons of Destruction, I don't know what your problem is. Sticky grenade usage is pretty high. Best tips I can come up with taking you rank and weapons into account.

1. Radar, radar, radar.
Know where people are coming from. If someone is coming and disappears, toss a few 'nades to flush them out. If that doesn't work, rather then walk into a trap, just get the hell out of there. I can't overstate the last part enough.

2. Know what it takes.
A full-second AR bust at close range is all you need to deliver before a melee hit becomes lethal to your opponent.

3. Jump.
I'm not a fan of rabbit-like hopping, but I do like to jump when I'm in an AR fight, just to make the guy work to aim. This is particularly useful when you are close enough to finish with a melee as you land.

4. Know what you've got and they've got.
If you spot a shotgun or mauler, fire while backing up. If you're going to die, leave that desperation grenade. If you're dual wielding, stay just out of melee range. Keep two weapons who's strengths offset the other's weakness.

Most importantly...
5. Stick with teammates.
This is my go-to option when I'm having a bad game. There's strength in numbers, and it's harder to be flanked and surprised when traveling with someone else. Also, you take less damage and enemies die quicker. And you may notice the strategies they use to fight and learn from them.

Personally, I think stogieman should weight in here, as he was pegged at 12 a month ago and suddenly made the transformation. stogie, what changed in your run to 20?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 12:18 PM

Lingering thoughts

For achievement hunters, the ranked tourneys (US has passed, but European just started up) provide a unique opportunity to make a few attempts at a reduced skill level with no risk to your Lone Wolves rank. That said, I'd probably wait a few days for the higher ranks to get properly filtered.

SWAT goes up tomorrow, and with a Good Friday holiday looming, I'd love to see a MacNN Team do a little of the hopper (despite the fact that we've been in Halo overddrive the past week and a half and I'm slowly burning out). A sek, kb, maroma team would be awesome, though I'd probably be the weak link there.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 01:17 PM

I get Good Friday off, and I plan on doing a whole lot of nothing, aside from playing video games and sleeping (and occasionally eating something). So I'm down for some tourny action if we decide to do it.

I'm looking forward to tonight though! Prediction: Purple and Gold teams will spend the next few days scrubbing out the brown streaks that will be left on their armor. Not your usual brown streaks, but something far less funny.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 03:01 PM

Sidewinder? Sweet!

On the note of signing on early the g/f wants to watch a movie before I nerd it up, she knows that I made prior plans to play so don't worry about me skipping out, but I might only be on at 10PM at the earliest.

If you are online from 6-7 I suppose we could get some practice in then.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 03:02 PM

sek, gamestop failed me but according to them they will have it tomorrow but i won't have much time to get it between my test and NNGP practice and round 1, but once i have a chance to really try it i'll let you know...
Damn, between the new maps, RSV: 2, and GTA IV I'm going to have my hands full (literally)

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 03:04 PM

Damn, between the new maps, RSV: 2, and GTA IV I'm going to have my hands full (literally)
Don't forget your girlfriend breaking up with you. More work for your hands.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 03:05 PM

On the note of signing on early the g/f wants to watch a movie before I nerd it up, she knows that I made prior plans to play so don't worry about me skipping out, but I might only be on at 10PM at the earliest.
I am so throw you under the bus if something goes wrong tonight.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 03:10 PM

Don't worry, old chap. It would take years for me to lose my RL skillz.

In fact, I'll make a bold prediction of yet another one-out-of-a-million shot tonight. Team Brown will end up being stains on the sand, or snow, or weird living floors of Isolation.
_______

Team S.W.A.T. - We have to get a team of 4 together for this (BTW is it ranked?) I know me and Bogues won't get any sleep on Friday and it seems ::maroma:: is down. I just hope Dakar doesn't bring us down with his abysmal headshot ratio.

Just kidding buddy, but really, don't bring us down

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 03:14 PM

I doubt it's ranked, it's another doublexp weekend hopper. I suspect ::maroma:: and his PST time-zone may be up before me.

And yes, I know I'm terrible. I already said that.

hugz
Dakar

P.S. I may be on around 6 or 7, but don't worry about. Just be on at 10 so we can sort out some final details/tactics.
Shhhh, other teams may be listening.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 03:31 PM

Now that I'm at peace with being a Brig for the rest of my Halo 3 career I want to get to Brigadier General as fast as I can. Hopefully this Double EXP weekend will have me get to Brig Level 2.

Even with Double EXP that will take almost 100 wins.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I realized if I ever want to get to Strike Commander (Once I get to commander), 1800 xp is gonna take a while.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 03:37 PM

Team S.W.A.T. - We have to get a team of 4 together for this (BTW is it ranked?) I know me and Bogues won't get any sleep on Friday and it seems ::maroma:: is down. I just hope Dakar doesn't bring us down with his abysmal headshot ratio.
S.W.A.T This weekend i forgot...well i guess i'm going to sleep sometime on monday now.
__________________________________________________ ______________________
I just talked to the NNGP partner and we will be ready for battle at 10.30

Sek you can always try to get her to play halo go for strip halo, i got my girl to play it a few times (just let her kill you the first couple) and it was quite hilarious (although i know sadly it will never catch on...)

Between RSV 2/GTA IV/New Maps/...oh and finals coming up after GTA... i'm failing out of school.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 03:41 PM

I swear all we're gonna do is play free roam. I hope people can join and quit games just like Halo customs. A co-worker and I spent 15 minutes discussing things we plan on doing in GTA today.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 03:43 PM

She was decent at Halo 2. She could dual-wield and melee pretty well. Of course I demolished her once the relationship was sealed To her credit I never shut her out completely, she'd always kill me once or twice legit, usually with nades.

It was fun, however, to have her and her friend battle head to head. Nothing like watching two girls that are fairly bad at halo fight eachother for a half-hour.

Their favorite map was Beaver Creek

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 03:44 PM

This thread is awesome.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 03:46 PM

I Just remembered we have yet to play with 4 teams....man this is going to be awesome.

Edit: Halo.junk finally imported all of my games, the Stat Radar doesn't look as impressive anymore....

At any rate, Halo3.Junk.ws: Player Statistics
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 19, 2008 at 03:53 PM. )

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 03:54 PM

It's a shame that the MacNN GP results will have to wait until Monday thanks to the holiday. Oh the suspense....

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 03:59 PM

Their favorite map was Beaver Creek

...this thread is an explosion of bad taste/trash talk/pictures/write ups

i love it

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 04:00 PM

dakar, how many games are we doing tonight? any idea about the time it will take?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 04:01 PM

Their second favorite map was Cock River.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 04:02 PM

dakar, how many games are we doing tonight? any idea about the time it will take?
5 maps, 1 Practice Round, 1 Main Event. My guess is in the area of 1 1/2, depending how smoothly everything goes.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 04:02 PM

Haha, but really, I didn't make that up. The only map the girls would play is beaver creek.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 04:06 PM

Haha, but really, I didn't make that up. The only map the girls would play is beaver creek.
believe me if i was viewing two girls playing halo i think i would play on (or in) beaver creek

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 04:10 PM

It was also hilarious to have the girls talk during matchmaking. So many people responded to them, horny nerds. Not to mention the few that just mistook them for little boys

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 04:13 PM

Haha, yes, I was creeped out one night when there was a girl in the lobby and some dude was like, "Wow, you have a really nice voice." (I think she was with her boyfriend. She was a little lost as to how to respond, as well)

I mean, he was right and all, but still, keep it to yourself.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 04:22 PM

We are making a serious bid for page 26 right now...

Dakar having almost 500 posts by himself in this thread alone. I'm still respectable at about 400. hehe.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 06:04 PM

We are making a serious bid for page 26 right now...

Dakar having almost 500 posts by himself in this thread alone. I'm still respectable at about 400. hehe.
I remember on page one Dakar saying this thread would be lucky to make it to 2 pages.... and almost 25 pages later...haha

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 06:29 PM

I remember on page one Dakar saying this thread would be lucky to make it to 2 pages.... and almost 25 pages later...haha
Shows how good Dakar is at predicting stuff. Which tells you his prediction of a slaughter by the Purple People Eaters isn't all that threatening! <snap!>

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Shows how good Dakar is at predicting stuff. Which tells you his prediction of a slaughter by the Purple People Eaters isn't all that threatening! <snap!>
only hours before the games begin, maroma brings out the big guns, haha
the trash talk is B E A utiful

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 08:06 PM

You're only one off your highest skill last I checked, so you're not plunging, but yeah, you've been struggling for the past month.

Looking at your most used Weapons of Destruction, I don't know what your problem is. Sticky grenade usage is pretty high. Best tips I can come up with taking you rank and weapons into account.

1. Radar, radar, radar.
Know where people are coming from. If someone is coming and disappears, toss a few 'nades to flush them out. If that doesn't work, rather then walk into a trap, just get the hell out of there. I can't overstate the last part enough.

2. Know what it takes.
A full-second AR bust at close range is all you need to deliver before a melee hit becomes lethal to your opponent.

3. Jump.
I'm not a fan of rabbit-like hopping, but I do like to jump when I'm in an AR fight, just to make the guy work to aim. This is particularly useful when you are close enough to finish with a melee as you land.

4. Know what you've got and they've got.
If you spot a shotgun or mauler, fire while backing up. If you're going to die, leave that desperation grenade. If you're dual wielding, stay just out of melee range. Keep two weapons who's strengths offset the other's weakness.

Most importantly...
5. Stick with teammates.
This is my go-to option when I'm having a bad game. There's strength in numbers, and it's harder to be flanked and surprised when traveling with someone else. Also, you take less damage and enemies die quicker. And you may notice the strategies they use to fight and learn from them.

Personally, I think stogieman should weight in here, as he was pegged at 12 a month ago and suddenly made the transformation. stogie, what changed in your run to 20?
I shall take your advice onboard and try and control myself more. I am forever running off on my own in TS or BTB and end up always being the first one killed on either side ~ I have to do less Ghost whoring and try and stick close to the rest of the team.

Is there room for moi in your games tonight? (your time) Or is it strictly an all star affair

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 08:30 PM

According to a new IGN article i ran across (IGN: New Halo 3 Map Pack) it looks as if my previous look into the crystal ball is true....

Excerpt:
The third map is still a mystery, but a Microsoft news release said it will be "another returning classic… fans of smaller Slayer maps, it's time to get excited."

please midship, make your return.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2008, 10:11 PM

Oh, crap. Traffic got really bad halfway through my commute and I didn't get home till 6:45. I immediately sprinted to the Xbox, but it looks like everybody had already given up on me. Very sorry, guys. I was so looking forward to tonight.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 10:41 PM

We're in there waiting man. Was scheduled for 10.30.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2008, 12:35 AM

NNGP is turing out awesome, good games tonight guys
Blue Barracudas all the way....
sorry i had to bug out early tonight i've got more homework/studying to do for tomorrow (actually today now) than i can handle.

Forum Links
Forum Rules