Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sotomayor racist drivel

Sotomayor racist drivel (Page 3)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 10:53 AM

The Firefighter case has been overturned 5/4
45/47

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The Firefighter case has been overturned 5/4
In Sotomayor's defense, I thought this ruling would've been a little more affirmative frankly.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
In Sotomayor's defense, I thought this ruling would've been a little more affirmative frankly.
I thought it would be also
45/47

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 01:39 PM

My guess is that 4 where playing politics, or are certifiably nuts.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It doesn't matter how it sounds, or whether it is by any objective standard. It was constitutional because that's how our country works. As the final arbiters of what is and isn't constitutional, what the Supreme Court says is and isn't, is and isn't.

With this particular example, after an amendment ratified at gunpoint, and a decision by a later court, it went from is to isn't.
Actually, the court isn't final arbiter if you read the Constitution. The role as final arbiter came about in Madison v Marbury.

Originally, each branch determined for itself the constitutionality of its actions.
Clearly that's not very desirable - each branch would simply state 'why, of course our actions are Constitutional!'

It's possible to override the Court, via Constitutional amendment.

The complaint is that the Court is meant to adhere to the Constitution, prefer it over statute, prefer it over any consideration given to the laws of other countries, prefer it over the popular whims of the day, but it has done the opposite in recent years. This complaint is not without foundation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules