Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The new Dr. Who already quit!

The new Dr. Who already quit! (Page 3)
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by nath
I think the general gist of it is that he as a Time Lord 'knows what he's doing' when he changes history...whereas others don't.

There's also been a recurring theme in Doctor Who that you can't 'undo' someone's death without causing a paradox.

Last night's episode ('Father's Day') was explicitly about this, the Doctor and Rose travelling back to 1987 to witness Rose's father's death, which she proceeded to prevent (against the Doctor's wishes).

Well worth checking out on Bittorrent for those overseas, this one (for me) was the first time an episode from the new series has worked as a standalone piece of drama. It asked some interesting questions, didn't rely too much on Ecclestone gurning 'Fantastic!' every few minutes, and was actually quite sad. The FX were pretty cool too.

i have the new episode already, just have to wait for the wife to wake up so we can watch it

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2005, 07:59 PM

i didn't like the new episode "father's day" - worst episode so far. imo

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2005, 07:53 AM

I for one liked it. Especially when the Doctor talked about going back in time and saving the Time Lords. Maybe a preview of what is to come? I hope so....I don't like him being the last of his kind.......

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by PHoynak
I for one liked it. Especially when the Doctor talked about going back in time and saving the Time Lords. Maybe a preview of what is to come? I hope so....I don't like him being the last of his kind.......
yeah it would be nice if he could go back and save the timelords...he needs to hook up with The Master and go back and save them

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
i didn't like the new episode "father's day" - worst episode so far. imo
I didn't like the 3rd one about olden days and ghosts, I feel asleep BOTH times I watched it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 04:26 PM

the first episode is my favorite so far. the dalek episode was good too

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 11:22 PM

Just watched the one about the media controlling earth, wasn't nuts about it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 03:38 AM

Its reported this morning that Billie Piper (Rose) is quitting too, because she's had offers from UK and America and is going to concentrate on those. She will be in maybe 3 episodes of series 2 but won't be the Dr's sidekick at the end of it. The thinking is that maybe Mickey the boyfriend will take over as sidekick.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2005, 05:51 PM

oh please not Mickey as the sidekick, it will probably be another female. i really liked the past two episodes - The Empty Child & The Doctor Dances - i also like the new companion.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2005, 07:55 PM

I agree, Mickey would suck. But I can't imagine him joining the doctor if Rose is gone.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2005, 09:56 AM

I didn't see The Empty Child, but saw The Doctor Dances. Thought the explanation at the end of how the gas mask zombie people happened was clever, and the bit in the hospital with the sonic screwdriver/sonic blaster/blaster was funny. "You've never been bored? Never had a load of cabinets to put up??"

By the way, DVD's are starting to come out in the UK, the first one is out and has episodes 1-3, episodes 4-6 are released in mid June. No doubt there will be a series box set once the whole series has been shown on TV...
( Last edited by ajprice; Jun 1, 2005 at 10:05 AM. )

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice
I didn't see The Empty Child, but saw The Doctor Dances. Thought the explanation at the end of how the gas mask zombie people happened was clever, and the bit in the hospital with the sonic screwdriver/sonic blaster/blaster was funny. "You've never been bored? Never had a load of cabinets to put up??"

By the way, DVD's are starting to come out in the UK, the first one is out and has episodes 1-3, episodes 4-6 are released in mid June. No doubt there will be a series box set once the whole series has been shown on TV...
cool how much do they want for those dvds? i would pick up the season on dvd if it ever comes out in the US

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2005, 03:27 PM

Episodes 1-3 are £11.99 on Amazon, normal price £15.99.

andi*pandi
Jun 6, 2005, 09:46 PM

I am up to Dalek now (very well done) and am anxiously awaiting the completion of the Long Game. What ep have they played last? What's after dr dances?

what region are UK dvds?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
I am up to Dalek now (very well done) and am anxiously awaiting the completion of the Long Game. What ep have they played last? What's after dr dances?

what region are UK dvds?
just watched the latest episode "Bad Wolf" - pretty good. i'm really like the new companion, Captain Jack Hartness (i think) - i won't ruin Bad Wolf for you but it kind of makes the Dalek Episode pointless.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 11:41 AM

I just saw the first part of Bad Wolf too... very good, but I am sure that a lot of the jokes may be a bit 'UK only' for some tastes... I mean, Trinny and Susannah haven't made it to the US have they? Overall though, excellent yet again.

However, especially when watching the teaser trailer for the next part, I an *GUTTED* that Christopher Ecclestone won't be in the next series. There was one bit that really hit me... (if you saw it you'll know), and I really was upset that he won't be seen as the Dr again after this.

I have watched Dr Who since 1977, and he was for me the best Dr by a mile... I am so sorry he will not be reprising the roll. At least he supports and is helping to save a great football team though

/welling up

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual
I just saw the first part of Bad Wolf too... very good, but I am sure that a lot of the jokes may be a bit 'UK only' for some tastes... I mean, Trinny and Susannah haven't made it to the US have they? Overall though, excellent yet again.

However, especially when watching the teaser trailer for the next part, I an *GUTTED* that Christopher Ecclestone won't be in the next series. There was one bit that really hit me... (if you saw it you'll know), and I really was upset that he won't be seen as the Dr again after this.

I have watched Dr Who since 1977, and he was for me the best Dr by a mile... I am so sorry he will not be reprising the roll. At least he supports and is helping to save a great football team though

/welling up
christoper has done a great job, i also really like him as the doctor. (tom baker is still my favorite) i'm not sure i know what you mean about the trailer for the next episode but assuming it is called "the parting of the ways" he must get taken out in this episode. we'll have to see what the new doctor can do. i am excited about the next episode because was it or was it not the voice of davros at the end of the trailer?

edit - just watched the end again - i know what you mean now duh

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 05:14 PM

Bad Wolf is on a tape wating for me to watch it, all I've seen is last weeks trailer with the Big Brother/Weakest Link/gameshow stuff, please tell me its better than that, because to be honest, that trailer made it look a joke.

There was a little bit in the last episode before Bad Wolf, with Margaret the Slitheen as the Welsh Councillor, where Dr did a bit of a monologue (in the conference room, looking at the banner) saying that the words Bad Wolf had been following them, trying to tell them something, I hadn't picked up on this through the series at all, had anyone else???

Joost
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2005, 12:25 AM

Bad Wolf is on a tape wating for me to watch it, all I've seen is last weeks trailer with the Big Brother/Weakest Link/gameshow stuff, please tell me its better than that, because to be honest, that trailer made it look a joke.

There was a little bit in the last episode before Bad Wolf, with Margaret the Slitheen as the Welsh Councillor, where Dr did a bit of a monologue (in the conference room, looking at the banner) saying that the words Bad Wolf had been following them, trying to tell them something, I hadn't picked up on this through the series at all, had anyone else???
The reality TV send-up episode ("Bad Wolf") is very good. A lot better than it looks.

There's been a Bad Wolf reference in pretty much every episode.

Possible spoilers ahoy:
Bad Wolf hunting

Seriously, you didn't notice them?

Things are definitely starting to come together.

Can't wait to see the final episode this week, though it's going to be tough waiting for the next series -- the short-lived Eccleston era has been nothing short of superb, IMHO.
He that will eat the kernel must crack the nut.

andi*pandi
Jun 15, 2005, 12:50 PM

enjoyed the empty child and doctor dances very much. there was a subtlety to the story, all the different things going on, plus the eery as hell gas masks. You could feel the joy when... well you know.

tonight: boomtown and bad wolf.

Is that it? It only gets better.

nath
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 01:14 PM

Apparently nobody has successfully guessed who Bad Wolf is yet. Russell T Davies was on the radio today saying he had been keeping an eye on various Who-related websites and was surprised that nobody seems to have got it. Davros? The Master? Too obvious. I reckon it's MICKEY!

Don't know if people have seen this. Great piece of viral marketing. (Turn sound UP!)
http://www.badwolf.org.uk/

Joost
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2005, 01:55 PM

enjoyed the empty child and doctor dances very much. there was a subtlety to the story, all the different things going on, plus the eery as hell gas masks. You could feel the joy when... well you know.

tonight: boomtown and bad wolf.

Is that it? It only gets better.
Agreed, that two-parter is a pearler. Stephen Moffat, of Coupling fame, is the writer, and I'd say he managed to find the perfect blend of humour and chills.

And yeah, couldn't you just feel the joy?

"Just this once..." Great moment.

Boom Town is a nice change of pace. And Bad Wolf moves things along very nicely.

Enjoy!
He that will eat the kernel must crack the nut.

andi*pandi
Jun 15, 2005, 02:54 PM

from the unit site: http://www.unit.org.uk/press/ruffcut.shtml

UNIT Press Briefings
PRESS STATEMENT: Computer Virus File Sharing Alert
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 10/03/05

All users of the Internet should be aware of a file-sharing virus that has spread with alarming consequences in the last four hours. Called “RUFFCUT”, the file spreads across file-sharing sites by scanning a user’s preferences and masking itself as something they would most want to download. Its aim is to secure the most number of simultaneous connections, and the virus has a catastrophic payload.

“To say that this is deadly wouldn’t be going too far,” said Lt D Judd, UNIT’s IT/AT Liaison. “It’s impossible to predict the full impact of this virus, but at the moment, the number of simultaneous connections has slowed down the overall speed of the internet alarmingly – and that’s just the start of it. The actual file has appalling consequences if successfully downloaded. It’s incredibly malleable – particularly on networks. In the past hour it’s shut down a hospital, three government departments across Europe, and brought the traffic systems in Lisbon to a halt. Please – don’t download pirate material from the internet for the foreseeable future.”

An update will be released as soon as we’ve more data.

andi*pandi
Jun 15, 2005, 02:57 PM

more from the unit site: (after logging in...)

OPERATIONS BOARD: OPERATION LONDON 26/03/05
From Major Jenny Maquire 10.35 28/06/06

Initial Assessment: Massive Problem. Big Ben’s in ruins, the damn craft is lying in the Thames and the government are being less than helpful. Plus the wretched thing was caught on 57 traffic cams. If anything dares emerge from inside, the first thing it’s going to get is the Congestion Charge.

Containment hopeless, I’d say. Annie?

From Staff Sergeant A Frederick 10.39 28/06/06

Not necessarily. I think we need to accept and move on. Sometimes things are what they appear to be and sometimes they aren’t.

I’d advise hanging back and risking eventual full disclosure. Wait and see – it may, just may, all be a clever hoax.

From Corporal J Frinkstein 11.23 28/06/06

We’re liaising with the regular Army. We've reached the craft in the river. There’s something inside.

From Major Jenny Maguire 11:38 28/06/06

Report please. What have you found?

From Corporal J Frinkstein 11: 40 28/06/06

Sorry Sir. We were a bit taken aback... It appears to be a pig.

From Major Jenny Maguire 11:41 28/06/06

A pig?

From Corporal J Frinkstein 11:43 28/06/06

A space pig. Yes sir. In a spacesuit. Photograph uploaded. Between you and me, Sir, I think it’s rather sweet.

From Major Jenny Maguire 11:45 28/06/06

Sweet or not, it may still be hostile. Don’t touch it. And don’t fry it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2005, 02:17 PM

OK, just watched Bad Wolf, and yes it was great. Now that they have announced a one off for Christmas 2005 and a 3rd series (yay!) watching this just reminds you how good Eccleston has been as the Doctor. I'm gonna miss him!

After seeing the trailer for the last episode, I don't think the voice at the end is Davros, as i remember it, Davros sounded like a Dalek, this sounded a bit different to a Dalek, so I'm not sure. I'll find out tomorrow night, i suppose.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 07:52 PM

OK, just watched Bad Wolf, and yes it was great. Now that they have announced a one off for Christmas 2005 and a 3rd series (yay!) watching this just reminds you how good Eccleston has been as the Doctor. I'm gonna miss him!

After seeing the trailer for the last episode, I don't think the voice at the end is Davros, as i remember it, Davros sounded like a Dalek, this sounded a bit different to a Dalek, so I'm not sure. I'll find out tomorrow night, i suppose.
if its not davros it better be the master for some reason i wanted that captain jack hartness to be the master undercover i cant wait for the episode either

nath
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 02:58 PM

******SPOILER ALERT IF YOU'RE IN THE STATES*****

it was rose! (or the tardis, depending which way you look at it)

what an amazing episode. not sure about the new guy, he looks a little young and posh.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 03:12 PM

it was rose! (or the tardis, depending which way you look at it)

what an amazing episode. not sure about the new guy, he looks a little young and posh.

i scrolled from the bottom up, damn you

nath
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 07:57 PM

i scrolled from the bottom up, damn you
ah, sorry. but that's a crazy way to read a forum. miss the spoiler warnings, innit?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2005, 07:54 AM

Well, saw the episode last night.

Awesome, plain awesome.

Yes, it was a little predictable, but none the worse for it...

The only thing I will say though, is that the new Doctor did not endear himself on this first brief showing.

Waaayy too weak and watery after the genius of Ecclestone. To quote him in the last episode, yes, CE really was fantastic!

I think from now on, there may be a downward decline, CE's shoes are hard to fill at the best of times, and I an not sure the new guy even remotely has it.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2005, 04:22 PM

Well, saw the episode last night.

Awesome, plain awesome.

Yes, it was a little predictable, but none the worse for it...

The only thing I will say though, is that the new Doctor did not endear himself on this first brief showing.

Waaayy too weak and watery after the genius of Ecclestone. To quote him in the last episode, yes, CE really was fantastic!

I think from now on, there may be a downward decline, CE's shoes are hard to fill at the best of times, and I an not sure the new guy even remotely has it.

just saw the last episode, very good...i am bummed i won't get to see any new doctor who until christmas i will miss "CE" but i think its way too early and uncalled for to say the new guy won't do well...i hope he does for the sake of the series.

here is a good story about how much Russell T Davies likes CE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4101666.stm

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2005, 05:05 PM

You may be right, but have you seen the stuff he has been in previously?

Most recently he was in 'Cassanova' on BBC3, and was frankly not at all good. His previous stuff before that shows he does not have the acting talent of CE despite the critical acclaim he gets.

For me, as soon as CE was on screen for the first time, he *was* the Doctor. Same for all the others before him... just a feeling I guess and I hope I am wrong...

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2005, 05:28 PM

You may be right, but have you seen the stuff he has been in previously?

Most recently he was in 'Cassanova' on BBC3, and was frankly not at all good. His previous stuff before that shows he does not have the acting talent of CE despite the critical acclaim he gets.

For me, as soon as CE was on screen for the first time, he *was* the Doctor. Same for all the others before him... just a feeling I guess and I hope I am wrong...

i guess i havent seen the new guy in anything before so i will be going in fresh. the only thing i saw CE in before Doctor Who was Gone in Sixety Seconds...i cant watch that movie anymore now because i can't watch CE as such a bad guy...only one year and i won't see him as anyone but the doctor

andi*pandi
Jun 19, 2005, 10:23 PM

ah, sorry. but that's a crazy way to read a forum. miss the spoiler warnings, innit?
that's the way I read threads that I keep up with regularly. Dammit.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2005, 11:17 AM

that's the way I read threads that I keep up with regularly. Dammit.
that didnt really ruin the episode for me, i thought he meant that rose was the one that brought back the daleks...i was annoyed it wasnt davros and just some huge ass godly dalek. next season better have some more enemies then the daleks. i made a new sig which pretty much sums up the new doctor for me...i just don;t know yet

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2005, 04:54 PM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2005, 05:49 PM

Just watched it off the videotape (I've been avoiding this thread since friday night!!!), and it was great. (Are we still on spoiler alert here for people who haven't seen it yet??).

One thing about "CE" that I really liked is how he would switch from sad and serious one minute, to grinning like a goon and walking off with one comment the next. So now its new doctor, a few things bugging me about this change (not the new guy, just a general Dr Who thing). Have any 'assistants' ever stayed on over 2 different doctors? And have any Doctors kept the same clothes from one to a next, I have always remembered them having very different outfits, but new bloke looks like he's carrying on in the black leather jacket.

agentz
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2005, 06:18 PM

Just watched it off the videotape (I've been avoiding this thread since friday night!!!), and it was great. (Are we still on spoiler alert here for people who haven't seen it yet??).

One thing about "CE" that I really liked is how he would switch from sad and serious one minute, to grinning like a goon and walking off with one comment the next. So now its new doctor, a few things bugging me about this change (not the new guy, just a general Dr Who thing). Have any 'assistants' ever stayed on over 2 different doctors? And have any Doctors kept the same clothes from one to a next, I have always remembered them having very different outfits, but new bloke looks like he's carrying on in the black leather jacket.
Um, yeah that'll be because he's just replaced CE's body so of course he's going to be wearing the same clothes. It was the same between Tom Baker and Peter Davison, between Davison and Baker2 and (even though he didn't film it) between Baker2 and McCoy. They all had the same outfits for the first couple of scenes.

We obviously don't know anything about how David Tenant is going to treat the Doctor, but I read somewhere that RTD wanted Tenant to be a bit more dapper and suave, but that could just be red-top bollocks.

There have been assistants who have spanned more than one Doctor - can't think of any right now cos I've had a **** of a long day and a handful of sleeping tablets, but I'm sure there were some!
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2005, 06:21 PM

Have any 'assistants' ever stayed on over 2 different doctors?
Well, Barbara, Susan, and Ian all appeared with multiple doctors. But only if you count the movies. Which you shouldn't.

No really, don't watch them.

[edit]
Oh, and of course there were the episodes with multiple doctors.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2005, 06:24 PM

yes, there has been companions over 2 diff. doctors. (sarah jane smith *3rd & 4th* - Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart 2nd, 3rd, & 4th) - Peri 5th & 6th - i am sure there were others too

and the doctors always have the same clothes on after they regenertate, i'm sure the new doctor will have new clothes when the new episodes roll around, i remember the 4th doctors first episode (Robot) he went on for a good 5 minutes trying on all kinds of crazy outfits

EDIT - others beat me too it

nath
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by thesearcher
what?

you mean to say there are OTHER PLACES?!?

as2
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 03:59 AM

You know Billie Piper wants to quit too
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 04:45 AM

Billie Piper will be in the next series. Originally there were rumours that she would quit to go to Hollywood, then rumours that she would be in 3 episodes of Series 2. Now she is going to be in all of Series 2. So no she isn't quitting.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 04:10 PM

Billie Piper will be in the next series. Originally there were rumours that she would quit to go to Hollywood, then rumours that she would be in 3 episodes of Series 2. Now she is going to be in all of Series 2. So no she isn't quitting.

good cause she is smoking hot (imho) and i hope captain jack comes back too he's cool, kind of gay sometimes but cool

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 04:16 PM

i guess i havent seen the new guy in anything before so i will be going in fresh. the only thing i saw CE in before Doctor Who was Gone in Sixety Seconds...i cant watch that movie anymore now because i can't watch CE as such a bad guy...only one year and i won't see him as anyone but the doctor
Rent "Shallow Grave" with Ewan McGregor and Christopher Eccleston. Great flick. And Eccleston comes unhinged.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2005, 10:33 AM

I have to admit at first glance I don't like the new Doctor. However having watched the show for over 20 years I haven't met a Doctor that I didn't like. I think the character defines the actor. That is what makes the show so great, change.....

I do hope the Master comes back, he is too evil not too.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 08:14 AM

Late to the party here, but the season finale aired last night on the CBC.

Absolutely capital. I'll go so far as to admit that both my girlfriend and I had a few tears during it. Christopher Eccelston was 'fantastic' as he put it; watching the new Doctor Who makes me slightly less cynical about television as it has been brilliantly written/acted all season. Captain Jack was a great addition, so I'm sure he'll be back at some point. They seemed to be hinting heavily that the other girl from the Game Station could be a possible companion.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 11:13 AM

Great episode, but I can't say I'm thrilled about the new doctor. Maybe it's because Eccleston fit the role perfectly or maybe I just don't like the look of the new guy. For one thing he seems a little too young.

I'll catch the first episode of season 2 but it might be the last for me.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2005, 11:30 AM

How can anybody reasonably say you don't like the look of the new guy when he was on the screen for all of 30 seconds and said 2 or 3 lines?

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2005, 11:45 AM

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, although this is one of the first regenerations i've seen where it's gone so smoothly. No chaos with it going wrong, no real fear for his death... and the first few lines were somewhat glib. But I originally was unsure about CE too, so I'll not pass judgement. He's cute.

somehow I managed to fall asleep during the end, and I blame the humidity. Thought rose did well being "possessed" but am now wondering about the supposed cognizance of the TARDIS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules