Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Halo 2

Halo 2 (Page 3)
macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
By right on you mean not missing his head right? because i played it on normal and hard and i was getting 1 hit kills in the head with a sniper... also has anyone relized that the dual submachine guns are more powerful then the battle rifle?
yeah I mean not missing the head
because in real life if you took a shot to the chest you'd be dead.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 11:37 PM

Umm... don't forget this is the year 2552 with you killing aleins that have shields and are on a rotating ring...

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2004, 11:53 PM

Umm... don't forget this is the year 2552 with you killing aleins that have shields and are on a rotating ring...
Speaking of that...

It's somehow disconcerting to me that people are still driving cars with four tires 548 years from now.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2004, 11:53 PM

I meant a melee attack anyway. Not headshots.

Oh yeah, and I'm glad they toned down the elite's shields a little. They're not nearly as unstoppable as they were in the original. I distinctly remember that the only weapons I could use against elites effectively in Legendary mode were the plasma pistol, plasma grenade, and rocket launcher. Now it's brutes that are the tough ones.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 12:03 AM

I have a GC, and i normally hate FPS on consoles, (including halo), mainly because i am the biggest 'tard when trying to aim and move, how ever i played halo2 on my mates xbox the other night and i was really surprised, it was great to handle and was damn smooth!
but yeah i think Halo 2 is great

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Zoom_zoom:
I have a GC, and i normally hate FPS on consoles, (including halo), mainly because i am the biggest 'tard when trying to aim and move, how ever i played halo2 on my mates xbox the other night and i was really surprised, it was great to handle and was damn smooth!
but yeah i think Halo 2 is great
I think it is because of the dual analog controls they came up with, it is incredibly smooth.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

beb
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 01:41 AM

Bought it, played it, finished it.

It is fantastic!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 02:53 AM

yeah but humans have sort of the same technology as they do now
Speaking of that...

It's somehow disconcerting to me that people are still driving cars with four tires 548 years from now.
POSSIBLE SPOILER
Its not that weird if you see it the way I do. The way I see it we are the forerunner race not the humans we, although genetically similar to the humans, existed before them and had covenant like technology in other words we were a couple hundred years more advanced but then we were forced to almost completely wipe out our race bringing our technology back to the age of 2004(or around there)but the covenant(who evolved from us or appeared around the time after halo was detonated)were better at recovering ancient forerunner technology. And of course religion was more or less lost and the covenant created the beliefs that no other sentient beings were aloud to exist. thereby starting a war with the humans. but the covenant had a flaw they were also supposed to find these ancient rings(Halo systems)that were superweapons but when they found one they accidently let loose the flood which was being contained on them. now the flood are parasites and they feed on any sentient being so naturaly this causes a problem but destroying the flood is very difficult because of their numbers and their ability to use weapons. but their is a way to destroy them this way is to activate halo a weapon which destroys all sentient life. However 343 guilty spark and his equivilents from the other halo systems(who according to covenant religion is an oracle)neglects to mention that halo works by destroying all sentient life. This is what the forerunners did.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 03:28 AM

Live is where it's all at... I am already a member of a clan and we are rising up in rank... currently level 4...

Zach

as2
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 04:03 AM

Live is most definitely where it's at.

If only I didn't have to bloody work!
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2004, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Cool, in a single-player campaign, you can play as more than the Master Chief.
yeah in Metal Gear Sold: Sons of Liberty you could play as more than Solid Snake.. that went well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2004, 12:44 PM

After playing for 7 hours yesterday I have a few more observations (and carpal-tunnel)

Playing as the Arbitor, or whatever the hell he is called, certainly suprised me. Also, thats a damn tough level. Flood are alot smarter in some respects (they actually retreat sometimes) but just as dumb when they lose sight of you. Oh yeah, slicing them in half with the sword was most enjoyable.

I also want to second whoever said that its nonstop action. Gone are room after room of the same shite, now its a constant barrage from all sides, all races, and all machines, at once in some occasions. Although some parts where you have the Scorpion and have to blow up like 30 Ghosts gets a bit old.

Cutscenes are long and cool, but for some reason when the Covenant are talking to eachother in fluent English it makes me chuckle, subtitles would have been a bit more proffesional IMO.

Cortana got at least 300% more sassy.

That upper-level atmosphere place (first Covenant mission) falls for way to long, but when it first started to drop my stomach got a little flimsy for a sec, and I was only playing it on a 27" TV and makeshift surround sound.

Covenant sniper rifle is waaaay cooler than human sniper rifle.

I wish (like in XIII) that when you went of a cliff and landed on an Elite that it would break his spine and kill him (Spartan 2 does weigh 1000 Kg) or at least hurt him.

The last comment is about the life meter. Although I like the idea of doing away with health, I am not very comfortable with the new meter. For example, your sheild is completely down, but you can still take a few hits. How many hits? When the hell am I going to die? Its confusing and causes me to push my luck way more than in Halo.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Azzgunther:
Speaking of that...

Ya a shooting bullets, but those machine guns are so much more gratifying then energy weapons.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 12, 2004, 02:38 PM

threads merged. let confusion reign!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 02:41 PM

Such as?
well the single player campaign was painfully short even on harder difficulty's most of the maps for multiplayer are recycled and the story line wasn't nearly as involving. also I felt the texture render delay in cutscenes just make the game feel unpolished at best. Of course I'm into role playing games not first person shooters so I feel that the story line is very important to the overall replay value of a game. I liked that the first halo felt like being in a movie. Halo 2 feels like being in a game. First person shooters are all the same. No Fun.
edit: I can't believe you followed randmans advice.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
threads merged. let confusion reign!
Thanks.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
What is the big surprise? Is big chef a woman or an alien or somethin?
Or... Samus? :-)

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
And By the way.... Not all GameCube games have midi sound (just Metroid Prime that i know of).
SSX3 has an all-digitized soundtrack with over 50 songs on the cube. Seriously, most of the "cut scenes" in games are all done with live 3D rendering nowadays anyway (including Halo 1). Some PS2 games still use pre-rendered stuff, but on the X-Box and GCN, they don't seem to. I haven't played Halo 2 yet; I'll pick it up for the PC next year -- I can't bring myself to own 3 different consoles.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 04:28 AM

Finished the campaign a few days ago. And while I knew I was close to the end, I was a little disappointed. Unlike the cool warthog race and the MC taking off his helmet at the end of Halo, this one seemed a little too set on setting up Halo 3.
While I enjoyed the game, a few nitpicks. Double wielding seemed to be less accurate though the plasma sword truly rocked.
Considering so much of it was hyped as the battle being taken to Earth, little of it was in the planet.
The flood seemed more of an annoyance than creepy fun. And while the vehicle play was good, I only drove a warthog once. I guess the game is geared more toward Live and team play.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 10:19 AM

Finished the campaign a few days ago. And while I knew I was close to the end, I was a little disappointed. Unlike the cool warthog race and the MC taking off his helmet at the end of Halo, this one seemed a little too set on setting up Halo 3.
While I enjoyed the game, a few nitpicks. Double wielding seemed to be less accurate though the plasma sword truly rocked.
Considering so much of it was hyped as the battle being taken to Earth, little of it was in the planet.
The flood seemed more of an annoyance than creepy fun. And while the vehicle play was good, I only drove a warthog once. I guess the game is geared more toward Live and team play.
Couldn't have put it any better i agree wtih you 100%

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 02:13 PM

this one seemed a little too set on setting up Halo 3.
They said the same thing about the Empire Strikes Back

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 06:25 PM

Oh-oh. Does that mean Halo 3 is going to be like Return of the Jedi? Is the game going to end with some lame celebration showing Master Chief singing and dancing with a bunch of Unggoys?
( Last edited by Stogieman; Nov 23, 2004 at 06:31 PM. )

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
Oh-oh. Does that mean Halo 3 is going to be like Return of the Jedi?
Well those little bad guys in Halo 1 & 2 already remind me of ewoks.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nforcer
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 07:28 AM

After playing on Xbox live for over 100 or so games, most of them team games, I have come to a conclusion:

The more I play on Xbox Live the more I hate the experience. For me, Oddball/Assault/CTF is a nice change of pace from Slayer (deathmatch or team deathmatch) every 10 - 15 or so games, but Bungie thought it would be cool to do ALL THE TIME. That crap comes up game after game after game and I am tired of doing stupid objective gametypes. And maps that I dislike come up quite often, too.

Until Bungie gets Team/Big Team/Clan Slayer playlists, I refuse to play online anymore. Doing so just supports their flawed playlists and judgement.

I think the best solution to matchmaking would be if Bungie just added preferences so I could turn off Maps and Gametypes I don't care for. Then their matchmaking service could match me up with other players who have at least one of the gametypes and maps I have selected. I have suggested this on their forums, but I doubt they will ever do it (or even read my post, since there are so many idiot kids and flamers on their forums).

Unless you have many friends with Xbox Live who are online at the same time, Bungie controls what map and gametype you will play. And I think that's pretty shitty.
Genius. You know who.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 09:38 AM

Even though I absolutely love playing Halo2 on xboxlive, I have to agree with you. If they did what you and every other person out there seems to want, the experience would be 1000 times better. There probably would be a lot less people drop from games too.

2 nights ago, I swear we played 10 rounds of CTF on Zanzibar out of every 12 rounds we played. It gives you like 3 seconds to see what you're playing, then starts the game. Someone realizes they don't want to play that map again and drops, making teams uneven and having to wait for the servers to reconfigure for like 2 minutes during which you can't leave the game. Which snowballs into everyone leaving the game.

Another annoying lack of a feature is that team battle is the only quickmatch/optimatch (still haven't figured out the difference between the 2) which allows you to play with 16 people. If Bungie wants my friends to buy the game, then they should be allowed to play on a map with people everywhere trying to kill each other. It would also be nice if they didn't have to get their own xboxlive account to play on my xbox w/me as other than a guest...or if it let my friends use the chat feature on a different controller than mine.

I would love it if they would let us mute other players. Some people just don't know how to be quiet. Loud, high pitched, 12 year old voices screaming out of my stereo at 3am manage to make the downstairs neighbors use a broomstick on the ceiling, even if the volume is turned down fairly low at night.

Hopefully they'll listen to all the complaints and change some things in the coming months. Halo2 hasn't been out that long and I know plenty of Bungie people are on there finding stuff that needs to be tweaked. All that said, I'm driving 12 hrs to San Francisco in a little bit and taking my xbox w/ me to hook up on xboxlive at my brother's house.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2004, 10:00 AM

Seems as if Bungie has truly embraced the M$ method of customer satisfaction.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 10:19 AM

Seems as if Bungie has truly embraced the M$ method of customer satisfaction.
I don't know if I would go that far. They did release the game on time, which many other FPS makers have failed to do. The Bungie team seemed to truly love what they were doing and want to make it the best they possibly can.

At what cost? is the question. The Limited Edition had a bonus DVD that had lots of video of the production team. It seemed that in order to make the release time, they cut out some plot parts and levels of the game. They also cut out some extra characters and vehicles (ATV w/ machine guns, wolf you could ride for the covenant, juggernaut flood, covenant engineers, etc.)

1 thing I noticed from the video that has hit home was the fact that they rushed the xboxlive implementation to make the due date. I expect we'll be getting an update(lol, maybe something like a service pack) w/in the next few months with a revamped XBL interface. Hopefully. We haven't even gotten any new levels from Bungie yet. Remember it's only been less than a month since Halo2 came out.

1 more thing I noticed is that scrolling down through friends is almost as slow as Firefox. Almost makes me happy I don't have a huge list of friends on there.

And please join the 4 of us in clan MacNN. I'd like to play w/ at least 1 other NN'er besides Angry Nugget.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by iLikebeer:
I would love it if they would let us mute other players. Some people just don't know how to be quiet. Loud, high pitched, 12 year old voices screaming out of my stereo at 3am manage to make the downstairs neighbors use a broomstick on the ceiling, even if the volume is turned down fairly low at night.
There is an option to make the voices only come through on the headset. You could always do that and then just turn the headset way down. That's what I do.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by ort888:
There is an option to make the voices only come through on the headset. You could always do that and then just turn the headset way down. That's what I do.
Sweet. Thanks, I didn't know that.
Is it possible to mute just one player for when another person is playing w/ me and can't use a headset?

Btw, I saw a lot of macs in the bonus DVD and sort of hope at least 1 bungie person reads this stuff here. If so, it's probly easier to gripe to them here about the few flaws than in their forums, where like nforcer said, there's too many flamers and idiot kids making a lot of noise.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 05:46 PM

Well I just finished it and I enjoyed it immensely. Nothing like the crappy first one.

The ending is a bit odd though. No final boss really and it end unexpectedly (worse than Empire strikes back), it is a huge setup for Halo 3 but can we really wait 2 more years for it!!!
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2004, 09:50 PM

Frankly speaking, I never thought how fun FPS on consoles would be, especially before Halo 2 came out, there was only Counterstrike (Ewww) and the original Halo.

Then I gave it a gamble and bought the Xbox and Halo 2 and I never looked back.

Campaign mode was pretty ok in the initial levels, until those Elites come running after you with the Energy Sword.

I just gotten my Xbox Live Starter Kit but I've been playing with a trial kit for more than 2 weeks already. Overall, multiplayer is fun, but I don't really like those bomb or territorial maps and those Convenant weapons, but I do enjoy the CTF ones.

So far, I think one of the things that mar this game is that:
#1. I've got to register at quite a few websites before I can get the "complete experience", eg; I have to link my GamerTag at Xbox.com, I've got to register again at Bungie.net to be one of those Stat Whores (TM)

#2. "Betrayal" -- either some newbie just simply fires on anyone he comes across, and ends up getting everyone fragged OR someone who has nothing better to do comes out and PK his team.

See you guys online
My GT is my forum handle here. :
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules