Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama smoking cigarettes again

Obama smoking cigarettes again (Page 3)
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2008, 05:59 PM

"I'm besson3c, I mock people, I know other MacNN posters by name, I have a mustache, I'm impartial, ..."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2008, 06:07 PM

"I'm Uncle Skeleton, I look skeletal because I don't know how to eat things, and I always have extra bones to throw at people like skeletons do in video games. I always say stuff on MacNN, and I live in Seattle and like to go up in the space needle there, even though the CN Tower is bigger and better and superior to it in every way. I'm a good looking guy, but I wear a top hat, cane, and cape all of the time in my attempt to emulate besson3c but women don't like to hang out with me very much."

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
"even though the CN Tower is bigger and better and superior to it in every way."
Except for one: it's in Canada.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2008, 10:56 PM

I saw him perform the TERRORIST FIST BUMP with his baby mama.
Yeah, it's kind of odd that his wife, Michelle, introduces Obama as her "Baby Daddy".

November 2, 2004

WATSON: He's coming up.

BLITZER: We can take a look. Maybe he will and maybe he won't but she looks like she's about to introduce him. Let's listen in.

MICHELLE OBAMA, WIFE OF BARACK OBAMA: My baby's daddy Barack Obama. Yeah!

BARACK OBAMA, SENATOR-ELECT, ILLINOIS: Thank you, Illinois. Thank you. Thank you, Illinois. I don't know about you but I'm still fired up. I am fired up. Look at this crowd. Thank you, Illinois.

Atomic Rooster
Jun 14, 2008, 12:15 AM

I'm a joker
I'm a smoker
I'm a midnight toker.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
Fixed that for ya....

Can we go back to calling him a Muslim terrorist who has Hamas' endorsement? That's a lot more fun than this Baby Mama stuff....

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 09:05 AM

He's too white, she's too black! He's too male, she's to female! We'd better not elect them!

He is the father of her children, no? Do you feel like you've caught her in some kind of lie? Or does the idea of someone using a vernacular common to people with *gasp* more melanin than you make you scared?

Again, if this is all you've got, I think the Dems will clean your clock. Might as well get it down off the wall right now.

Edit: It appears you've resorted to misquoting, for added effect. Strong work, indeed!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
It appears you've resorted to misquoting, for added effect. Strong work, indeed!
Ooooh. That's a good one. Point out a missing apostrophe in my link, and somehow change the idea that I still think it's odd that Michelle introduced her husband with the phrase. Then accuse my not having included an apostrophe in the link as somehow doing this for effect? Is that really the best you have?

MISQUOTING: What portion of the quoted content did I misquote? I included the link.. go ahead, visit the CNN page. Please, tell me, of the section of the transcript I quoted - which part is wrong?

You know damn well there was no misquote.

It's amazing how a person can't even have an opinion around you and some of the other folks here. That you would lie and misrepresent what I write, and then resort to trashing me with the delusions you've developed... it a lowlife-like tactic, and when it's apparent that it's a pattern, it's disturbing.
( Last edited by spacefreak; Jun 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM. )

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 11:36 AM

Again, if this is all you've got...
All that I've got of what? I develop opinions practically every waking moment.

In 5 minutes, I'm sure I'll have a new opinion about something, so no, it's not all that I've got.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2008, 01:58 PM

spacefreak: no offense, but I can't wait for 5 minutes from now.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2008, 02:16 PM

Ooooh. That's a good one. Point out a missing apostrophe in my link, and somehow change the idea that I still think it's odd that Michelle introduced her husband with the phrase.
Obama is the father of her child. Is this news to you?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Obama is the father of her child. Is this news to you?
Did I write any such thing? Did I even come close to mentioning, affirming or questioning who their children's father is?

Like I stated before in both my original post and in follow-up(s), I simply find it odd that she introduces him like that at a huge event.

Obama's wife strolls up to the podium as the crowd waits in anticipation. She leans towards the microphone to introduce her husband onto the stage, and she says, "... My baby's daddy, Barack Obama".

Much more common would be "the great Senator from the State of Illinois" or "Your next great senator"... those are the kind of introductions I usually hear.

I've never heard a political figure or leader introduced like that. Definitely odd. I'm not saying that it hasn't been done before, but I've never heard such an introductory phrase used at all, let alone in this context . Have you?
( Last edited by spacefreak; Jun 14, 2008 at 03:04 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 03:01 PM

Ooooh. That's a good one. Point out a missing apostrophe in my link, and somehow change the idea that I still think it's odd that Michelle introduced her husband with the phrase. Then accuse my not having included an apostrophe in the link as somehow doing this for effect? Is that really the best you have?

MISQUOTING: What portion of the quoted content did I misquote? I included the link.. go ahead, visit the CNN page. Please, tell me, of the section of the transcript I quoted - which part is wrong?

You know damn well there was no misquote.

It's amazing how a person can't even have an opinion around you and some of the other folks here. That you would lie and misrepresent what I write, and then resort to trashing me with the delusions you've developed... it a lowlife-like tactic, and when it's apparent that it's a pattern, it's disturbing.
Here's what I saw:

From the article: "baby's daddy"
Words you typed in your link: "baby daddy"

It struck me as intentional, since you tend not to make flagrant typos all the time, and you had it in quotes. It seems to add weight to the aspect of someone else said this when you put it in quotes, though you managed to copy/paste the correct text beneath the link. I think the onus in on you to get the quote right, if you're going to use it as a point of argument. But if it was a typo, then it was a typo.

And no, it's not the best I have. You can have all the opinions you want around here, too -- opinions, however often do not reflect the truth. I'm sure that's the case with me as well, on occasion.

Happy voting!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 03:06 PM

spacefreak: no offense, but I can't wait for 5 minutes from now.
None taken. It's just a message board. Someone once told me that they imagined I was some crazy-intense guy, foaming at the mouth, hammering my posts into the keyboard, rapid refreshing, etc... I got a kick out of that. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's like a mental playground here, so I have a good time. Perhaps I'd be more serious if we were the official and sole message board for world and national leaders. But like I say, we're in a sub-forum of a sub-forum of a Mac message board. It's in the lounge. I come to relax and play.

However, my opinions are very serious, I as figure most of yours to be. But it's not stressful to post my opinions. Quite the contrary.

As for not being able to wait, maybe you should see someone about that??? I'd be going crazy if I didn't have the ability to wait 5 minutes.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 03:11 PM

Did I write any such thing? Did I even come close to mentioning, affirming or questioning who their children's father is?

Like I stated before in both my original post and in follow-up(s), I simply find it odd that she introduces him like that at a huge event.

"... My baby's daddy, Barack Obama".

Much more common would be "the great Senator from the State of Illinois" or "Your next great senator"... those are the kind of introductions I usually hear.

I've never heard a political figure or leader introduced like that. Definitely odd. I'm not saying that it hasn't been done before, but I've never heard such an introductory phrase used at all, let alone in this context . Have you?
So political speech needs to be couched in familiar and hackneyed phraseology in order for you to be comfortable with it?

I politely ask you to answer these directly:

Do you think it's wrong of her to be proud of the fact that Barack Obama is the father of her children?

Do you think it's a political gaffe for her to bring that up in public in terms that might be considered "black" vernacular?

Do you honestly think it affects his ability to govern, if elected?

If the answer is no to the last question, then answer this -- why did you bring it up in the first place?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2008, 03:15 PM

I simply find it odd...

So that's the big payoff?

It's odd because it never happened before?

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 03:18 PM

I think the onus in on you to get the quote right, if you're going to use it as a point of argument. But if it was a typo, then it was a typo.
But it wasn't a point of argument. It was an observation - I think it's an odd introduction, apostrophe or not.

After more thought, I think it's possibile she said "my babies' daddy" instead of "my baby's daddy".

No matter what combination of punctuation she used, it's still an odd introduction.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 03:24 PM

But it wasn't a point of argument. It was an observation. I think it's an odd introduction, apostrophe or not.
Well, I guess I'll find it odd that you find it odd, and we'll move on from here.

Where were we? ..... Terrrrst fist Jab? May as well go for that next, since cigarettes and daddy haven't gained traction.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
So that's the big payoff?

It's odd because it never happened before?
That's the definition of "odd", right?

One guy said "baby mama", and I chimed in with "Yeah, it's kind of odd that his wife introduces Obama as her "Baby Daddy".

I think it's funny that you were waiting for the "big payoff". That's great. What sort of payoff were you looking for?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2008, 03:33 PM

I think it's funny that you were waiting for the "big payoff". That's great. What sort of payoff were you looking for?

One commensurate with the amount of back and forth you seem to think this oddness is worth.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 04:09 PM

One commensurate with the amount of back and forth you seem to think this oddness is worth.
I think that the asinine claims and misrepresentations by others in response had more effect on your anticipation than my defense of a simple observation (which shouldn't need defending).

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 04:11 PM

I guess I'll find it odd that you find it odd...
What about you? Do you find it to be an odd introduction at such a huge event?

Where were we? ..... Terrrrst fist Jab?
I was never here.

May as well go for that next, since cigarettes and daddy haven't gained traction.
I don't care to "gain traction" with these observations. And if you hear me say that I think Obama is bone-skinny, I'm not angling for traction there, either.

Maybe it's because you are always looking to "gain traction" that you project that behavioral trait onto others??? I don't know...

That's not to say that I won't make a bold statement about politics, society, or whatever. And I'll surely debate things.

But little observations about Obama are just that - observations. He smokes, he's boney, his wife introduces him oddly, and his ears are funny looking. So be it. McCain is old, his hair is really thin, he can't lift his arms up high due to POW injuries, and this makes him look funny sometimes. So be it.
( Last edited by spacefreak; Jun 14, 2008 at 04:38 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 08:30 PM

But little observations about Obama are just that - observations. He smokes, he's boney, his wife introduces him oddly, and his ears are funny looking.(...)
And he'd make a kick-ass president.

This is going nowhere, so I think I'll leave it at that.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2008, 08:35 PM

Is there any criticism of Sen. Obama that is valid with his supporters?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 09:55 PM

And he'd make a kick-ass president.

This is going nowhere, so I think I'll leave it at that.
Samuel L. Jackson would make a kick asserer President.

I don't know if he smokes though.

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
His ears are funny looking.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 11:05 PM

Frankly I don't think Obama is anywhere near as dashing as Kennedy or . . . . the studliest of them all, Alexander Hamilton.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2008, 11:05 PM

His teeth are too perfect, I wonder if they are fraudulent...

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2008, 11:18 PM

Apparently, he likes to trash-talk on the basketball court, but can't always back it up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2008, 02:23 PM

I think that the asinine claims and misrepresentations by others in response had more effect on your anticipation than my defense of a simple observation (which shouldn't need defending).

Though I think the people getting on your case for the misquote are mistaken (and FWIW, I tend to be really pedantic about such things), this isn't really the proper forum for simple non-debatable observations.

At least if you're going to be surprised when people assume you want a debate.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2008, 03:15 PM

Though I think the people getting on your case for the misquote are mistaken
You don't think there's any difference between "baby daddy" and "baby's daddy"? It's a pretty large difference to my ear.
Chuck
___

Starsixer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2008, 02:07 PM

Terrorist fist jab!!!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 02:10 PM

How this thread has made three pages is beyond my imagination.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
How this thread has made three pages is beyond my imagination.
If we keep posting it in, perhaps we'll make 4!

Smokers for Obama '08!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2008, 02:20 PM

Hopefully you don't have to be an Obama supporter to think the fact that he's trying to quit smoking and has only been partially successful is a stupid political issue.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 03:00 PM

You don't think there's any difference between "baby daddy" and "baby's daddy"? It's a pretty large difference to my ear.

Ooooh. I totally missed that the sentence could be interpreted that way. My bad.

What I'm saying is mistaken is the "getting on his case" part, as this was likely an accident.

Though to be fair to my (often torturous) sentence construction, I was relying on the use of the word "misquote" to imply acknowledgment of the difference between the two. Either way, the proper construction would have been "[t]hough I think people are mistaken for getting on your case about the misquote..."

Did I mention I was pedantic?
( Last edited by subego; Jun 16, 2008 at 03:15 PM. )

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Hopefully you don't have to be an Obama supporter to think the fact that he's trying to quit smoking and has only been partially successful is a stupid political issue.
I never meant to imply that. However, it seems to me that there is no "legitimate" critism of the Senator to his supporters. Just my observation.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 05:10 PM

I never meant to imply that. However, it seems to me that there is no "legitimate" critism of the Senator to his supporters. Just my observation.

Well, I'm supporting him at the moment, and I certainly accepted (and in fact propagated) the criticism that he doesn't have a record with which to judge him in the way that any of the other candidates (on both sides) had.

Now that he's the nominee, he has to step up to the plate and give some specific detailed policy with that speechifying of his. It would be problematic if he didn't. He seems to be starting to. I, for one, was very happy with his strong commitment to Israel and the importance he places on keeping Iran off the nukes.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 05:27 PM

Nonsense. I'm plenty critical. Call him liberal, call him inexperienced. Take him to task on his mistakes, his political naivete - all vaild points. I've had plenty of civil discussions about this stuff (not here).

By the way - John McCain is not only really, really old, but he's getting older EVERY DAY. I'm wondering what kind of technology they're using to keep him upright and more or less alert.

(You get my point...)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 05:43 PM

Why is it that "LIberal" is used as a bad word?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 06:08 PM

Why is it that "Jewish" is negative trait if you're running for the presidency of Iran?
Chuck
___

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 06:36 PM

Liberals suck at defending themselves against such petty semantic manipulation.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 06:38 PM

Why is it that "Jewish" is negative trait if you're running for the presidency of Iran?
Israel is the declared enemy of Iran. Are you trying to imply that Liberals are the enemy of America in this same way? If so, how is that so?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2008, 06:49 PM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 06:52 PM

Israel is the declared enemy of Iran. Are you trying to imply that Liberals are the enemy of America in this same way? If so, how is that so?
McCain is a Republican. He isn't running as the Generic American Party candidate, he's running as a Republican.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 07:22 PM

Chuckit: yeah, I understand that it is in the Republican's best interest to convey Liberal America as evil, so I understand *why* it's done, but what I don't understand is why this actually seems to work?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 08:18 PM

Chuckit: yeah, I understand that it is in the Republican's best interest to convey Liberal America as evil, so I understand *why* it's done, but what I don't understand is why this actually seems to work?
Because the liberals actually do have interests and goals that oppose theirs?
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 08:20 PM

And how does that explain why it seems to work when a case is not even made as to the negative effects of the Liberal opposition?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2008, 10:45 PM

And how does that explain why it seems to work when a case is not even made as to the negative effects of the Liberal opposition?
The same way "He's a horrible racist and will kill all minorities" wouldn't require a lengthy explanation of why racism and genocide are bad — they're foregone conclusions for the audience to whom the argument is being made.

Nobody is saying "He's too liberal" to dissuade liberals from voting for McCain — I think most people assume that liberals will be voting for the Democrat anyway. If somebody is considering voting Republican, it is most likely because they are not liberal. The argument is aimed at his party's core contingency, who already accept "Liberalism is wrong" as a fact.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2008, 12:43 AM

It looks like that Larry Sinclair guy that accused Obama of snorting coke with him that was making some Republicans in here go ga ga was arrested:

� Larry Sinclair Press Conference: Sinclair Arrested, Led Away in Handcuffs - Blogger News Network

Atomic Rooster
Jun 19, 2008, 01:10 AM

I'm posting bond in the morning. Damn suckas!111!1

Forum Links
Forum Rules