Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Gallup: race is statistical tie again

Gallup: race is statistical tie again (Page 4)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Neither.

I'm predicting that there are going to be major polling firms this time out who are going to be very embarrassed. Next election, they aren't going to have much credibility.
Okay, but I don't think anybody here would disagree with this if you had simply stated it like this. There are always pollsters that are way off, this is how it works, polling is an inexact science. I figured that this was obvious enough that it didn't have to be stated, particularly since there has already been discussion about the importance of averages or systems like Pollster.com's that eliminates outlier polls that are too far outside of trend lines. I still feel like there is a disconnect here...

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2008, 11:33 PM

Neither.

I'm predicting that there are going to be major polling firms this time out who are going to be very embarrassed. Next election, they aren't going to have much credibility.
Yeah it looks like Investors Business Daily is going to be one of those polls with no credibility and be very embarrassed.

As Nate Silver of fivethirtyeight.com points out, they have the 18-24 age range voting for McCain 74% to 22% for Obama. That's a hell of a sample.

Stupendousman, next time read the poll that your quoting from to make sure you don't have egg on your face or that you get embarrassed when your called out on the poll.

Any your Political Science degree is from what University?
The Religious Right is neither.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2008, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
Yeah it looks like Investors Business Daily is going to be one of those polls with no credibility and be very embarrassed.
Possibly. It's likely going to be polls at one end of the spectrum or the other. Given the fact that IBD has been getting polls right, and polls like the NYT/CBS polls (which are at the other end of the spectrum) in the past have gotten them spectacularly wrong, I'm not sure I'd bet on your assumption.

Any your Political Science degree is from what University?
Any your any degree is from any University? (sic)

Actually, I have a minor in PolySci from a major university.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2008, 07:13 AM

Also, I thought that Conventional Wisdomâ„¢ said that early voting far and away favored Democrats?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111430/Ea...-Reach-30.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- Gallup Poll Daily tracking data indicate that about 11% of registered voters who plan to vote have already voted as of Wednesday night, with another 19% saying they plan to vote before Election Day. Roughly equal percentages of Barack Obama supporters and John McCain supporters have taken advantage of the early voting opportunity -- so far.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 08:28 AM

Possibly. It's likely going to be polls at one end of the spectrum or the other.
McCain tied with Obama appears to be "one end of the spectrum".

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
McCain tied with Obama appears to be "one end of the spectrum".
Yes, it does appear to be. The other end is Obama up 14 points.

Either one or both polls are likely going to be embarrassed come Nov. 4 and their methods will lack credibility the next election. The same goes for all the other polls which end up sharing the wrong end of the spectrum. There's simply too wide of a gulf between the top and bottom for it to be anything other than faulty polling or purposed bias. Neither are good for a polling firm's reputation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules