Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I Got a New iMac!

I Got a New iMac! (Page 4)
ghporter
Administrator
Sep 14, 2007, 08:59 AM

The fact remains that the LCD itself IS made of GLASS. CRTs used armor-glass (enormously thick stuff) because they were VACUUM TUBES and big CRTs had to withstand obscenely high pressure differentials, especially on the screen itself. LCDs are made with relatively thin glass as a tradeoff between weight and ruggedness.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
I have an iMac G5 2.0 Ghz. The screen is not glass it is covered with a very thin acrylic sheet also known as "plexiglass" or "perspex'.

Just because it has "glass" in the name does not make it glass or have the same properties.
You condescending nincompoop.

I know what plexiglass is.

Do you know what silicon dioxide is?

Apple - iMac - Design

TRIMA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 08:23 AM

I found the old iMAC - i got a 24" Intel and a 20" PPC - a good looking machine.

When I saw the old models standing next to this new ones, they looked suddenly a little bit outdated.
Very nice design, those new iMacs.

Only thing is, the quality of the 20" screen disappointed me.
It wasn't that bright and sharp as I expected (the 24" on the other hand has a very good display).

Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2007, 09:48 AM

Well, keep in mind that the 20" one is older, so the screens weren't as good back then. And also it's iMac, not iMAC

Forum Links
Forum Rules