Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 43)
Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2010, 04:46 PM

Oh, and I guess I'm going to download those new maps. I tried playing a match last night without the new maps and found only match. Ie. your not going to have many people to play against without the new maps.

I'll worry about consolidating my DLC on one Xbox 360 later once the old one has been fixed. By the way MS has lousy customer service and bad record keeping. I don't think they even had a copy of my service contract. Apparently I bought the console more than 3 years ago, but the person who made up the service contract I boought from MS made the contract expiry date April 13, 2010. So I'm holding MS to their service contract.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 04:55 PM

I suspect that not a DLC thing but the new local matchmaking thing.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 05:35 PM

Man that sucks that I'm going to lose my challenges. Even the non-weapon related challenges? Damn! I've been working on those when I could have been focusing on leveling faster.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Man that sucks that I'm going to lose my challenges. Even the non-weapon related challenges? Damn! I've been working on those when I could have been focusing on leveling faster.
This is why I'm getting my 10 nukes (and the emblem) before I prestige.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 05:47 PM

Ah yes, the emblems. That's a solid reason to focus on the challenges. Perhaps I will finish off the challenges I'm close to completing to get those emblems under my belt.

I wish that when you move the cursor over the emblem it would tell you why they gave it to you - what challenge or whatever you completed to get it. So many times I get one and have no idea why.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2010, 05:48 PM

A name, let alone a description, would be nice.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
A name, let alone a description, would be nice.
There's an app for that.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 08:35 PM

There seems to be quite a few. I just downloaded "MW2 Challenges Free."

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2010, 03:46 AM

You guys probably know this but double XP is now on all gametypes and all maps are on all gametypes. Took me a reboot to see this.

Double XP is orgasmic. I played S&D all night. Afghan 3 kills, 2 bomb plants ~7000XP (2000 for the plants). Next game Favela, 9-1 and a few plants I got a 10,000XP challenge finished plus 16,000 for the match. Oh yeah baby.

S&D all weekend me thinks.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
There's an app for that.
Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
There seems to be quite a few. I just downloaded "MW2 Challenges Free."
Missing the point guys. I can look it up anytime, but it'd be handy if the game told you. Half the time one of you will ask me how I got an emblem or title.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2010, 10:27 AM

Ah yes, the emblems. That's a solid reason to focus on the challenges. Perhaps I will finish off the challenges I'm close to completing to get those emblems under my belt.
Which challenges? Some get easier to achieve as you get better, and others might take too long and waste precious xp.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2010, 10:32 AM

So Fatty and I had some luck yesterday in the early evening. Our first TDM matches (which I wrecked on) and the other crap.

I don't know what it is about Sabotage but I think Fatty and I roughly 2-8 on it. And that second win was a miracle overtime win where it was me against 4 or 5 members of the opposing team where I destroyed a few guys with my Striker (I won't shut up about this shotty) earned a Predator and destroyed some sniper camping FTW. ****ing awesome.

Otherwise, the rest of the night was against these guys who were admittedly good (at Objective; I crushed them when it was TDM) but were nigh untouchable thanks to their connection.

Three more titles earned! I can just see it, double xp is going to take me to 70 faster, but then I'm going to want to finish a few titles and **** myself over.

Edit: Looking forward to kavvika joining us. And Bogues. Then we'll destroy.

Edit 2: Crash & Overgrown are still like 3/4ths of the map rotation.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 11:07 AM

Yeah, I would finish off the challenges that your close too or did alot of work, even if you have to sit a few days at level 70. Unlike Dakar, I don't believe you can waste XP, as there is unlimited XP in the game anyways.

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I wish that when you move the cursor over the emblem it would tell you why they gave it to you - what challenge or whatever you completed to get it. So many times I get one and have no idea why.
Yeah that would be good and it's strange that IW does this for the accolades, but not the emblems. I can see not doing it for the titles as there are 22 pages (a ton) of titles.

But on that note, you do know about the website that explains how you get these. I'm not at home now so I can't post the site link.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 11:13 AM

Anyone else get a bug in matchmaking where it doesn't tell you how many "good games" it's found. Ie. after the search of the matches it says 0/50 good games found. I noticed this has been happening since the update. That's why before I downloaded the mappack I thought I wasn't finding any matches.

Before the update I would get anywhere from 17/50 to 25/50 good games found.

Man, I got destroyed yesterday on Overgrown.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Yeah, I would finish off the challenges that your close too or did alot of work, even if you have to sit a few days at level 70. Unlike Dakar, I don't believe you can waste XP, as there is unlimited XP in the game anyways.
Its shorthand for "accruing xp without making progress". If your goal is to make a certain prestige, anytime you're sitting idle at 70 you're either wasting xp or time.

Fact is, once you stop Prestiging, all the challenges become much easier. That's why kavvika has several challenges done that we might have too given more time or had the challenge not been locked when we accomplished its requirements.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2010, 11:17 AM

Anyone else get a bug in matchmaking where it doesn't tell you how many "good games" it's found. Ie. after the search of the matches it says 0/50 good games found. I noticed this has been happening since the update. That's why before I downloaded the mappack I thought I wasn't finding any matches.

Before the update I would get anywhere from 17/50 to 25/50 good games found.
Anyone notice the new local matchmaking? I imagine it'll make finding games a bitch for boycookie. God nows it felt like it took twice as long for me, because it had to keep trying til it hit 80 ms games.
Oh, and I guess I'm going to download those new maps. I tried playing a match last night without the new maps and found only match. Ie. your not going to have many people to play against without the new maps.
I suspect that not a DLC thing but the new local matchmaking thing.
Reading, mother****er, do you do it?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 11:39 AM

Reading, mother****er, do you do it?
Feeling ignored?

I just wasn't sure if it was the same thing I was talking about.
MacBook Pro

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2010, 12:28 PM

Which challenges? Some get easier to achieve as you get better, and others might take too long and waste precious xp.
There were just a few that I was close to completing so I wanted to finish those up. Which I did last night, and now I'm ready to begin my first Prestige. Will do that tonight.

And I have Friday off, so I will be balls deep in MW2 for 3 days straight. Double XP is too damn enticing. Good thing its supposed to rain all weekend or I might start feeling bad for not leaving the house.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2010, 12:47 PM

And I have Friday off, so I will be balls deep in MW2 for 3 days straight. Double XP is too damn enticing. Good thing its supposed to rain all weekend or I might start feeling bad for not leaving the house.
I have Friday and Monday off. But the weather's going to be nice this weekend (+24C, that's around 75F for those in the US), so I'll probably get my bike out tomorrow and get some sun. Get my vitamin D. But I'll probably get a few more hours than normal of MW2 in Friday.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2010, 12:50 PM

I have no work tomorrow, so I will also be balls deep in MW2 until the wee hours tomorrow morning.

Dakar, you said you didn't have to work on Fri either, right?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2010, 12:55 PM

I'll be home early today and no work tomorrow. Looking forward to lots of play.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I have no work tomorrow, so I will also be balls deep in MW2 until the wee hours tomorrow morning.

Dakar, you said you didn't have to work on Fri either, right?
I'll be home early today and no work tomorrow. Looking forward to lots of play.
Yes. I might not be around much on Saturday, but otherwise I have all weekend to crack out.

All I know is I need to readjust my new classes from last night as I built them terribly. And I still wish I had my old UMP class for this (Maybe I'll try to build it back up in Dom games).

Here's my recommendation for a good all around class:

TAR-21 w/GL or Silencer
Shotgun of choice
Semtex or Claymore
Marathon
Stopping Power
Ninja Pro

I'd alternate between silencer and grenade launcher depending if your play style is offense or defense. Same with semtex vs. claymore.

What was your Primary of choice last night, sek?
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Apr 1, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: holy **** awful grammar)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2010, 03:56 PM

FAL w/Holo and Silencer
USP w/Extended mags and Tac Knife

Bling/SP/Ninja

Claymore/Flash

Getting tons of kills with Claymores in these Objective games, sometimes I switch to a Scavenger FAL class to get multiple Claymores, but forgoing the silencer has brought its own problems.

Also, the Tac Knife is ****ing amazing, I am total love with it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2010, 04:02 PM

How the **** did you get away with the FAL? Outside of S&D I was getting murdered by rushers. FAL = Not good with rushers.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2010, 04:09 PM

Switching to Tac Knife for all CQB helped out*, plus SP on the FAL and my ability to shoot pretty damn fast.

Besides that class I was using my Intervention on Overgrown, and my Danger Close class when I was doing poorly.

*Of course this stopped working altogether with our last lobby of the night. I was getting out-stabbed by guys without Commando with regular knives, their connection made them un-stabable.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2010, 04:15 PM

Silenced M21
Extended Mag M1014
Scavenger Pro
Cold Blooded Pro
Ninja Pro
Claymore/Flash

^ Use this for everything except Crash.

Silenced / HBS ACR
Extended Mag / FMJ M1014 (thinking of switching to RPG)
Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro
Throwing Knife / Flash

^ Use this for objective games on Crash

TDM on Crash I use Marathon / Lightweight / Commando with a Silenced P90.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2010, 04:20 PM

Switching to Tac Knife for all CQB helped out*, plus SP on the FAL and my ability to shoot pretty damn fast.

Besides that class I was using my Intervention on Overgrown, and my Danger Close class when I was doing poorly.

*Of course this stopped working altogether with our last lobby of the night. I was getting out-stabbed by guys without Commando with regular knives, their connection made them un-stabable.
Yeah, when I finally realized it was time to back out it was time to call it a night.

Silenced M21
Extended Mag M1014
Scavenger Pro
Cold Blooded Pro
Ninja Pro
Claymore/Flash

^ Use this for everything except Crash.

Silenced / HBS ACR
Extended Mag / FMJ M1014 (thinking of switching to RPG)
Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro
Throwing Knife / Flash

^ Use this for objective games on Crash

TDM on Crash I use Marathon / Lightweight / Commando with a Silenced P90.
I'm only an average sniper, and I don't do well with the M21 anyway, so that's out.

An HBS makes a lot of sense, though I'd probably stick to it for defense.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2010, 05:45 PM

Another three hours gone and I've ranked up from 41 to 46. A guy on the opposing team for one game (that we lost) got 13 kills and came out with 28,000 XP. Hopefully it'll piss down with rain this weekend so I can stay indoors playing MW2 - and not have to entertain the kids too much.

I got called a noob for using a scar in s&d tonight.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2010, 05:49 PM

I think it came up earlier in the thread (I'm lazy), but is the AUG usable without the Grip? I'm thinking of using the AUG, silenced with HBS instead of the ACR.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2010, 06:17 PM

Eh, it definitely won't be a good substitute for the ACR, especially without the grip.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2010, 06:28 PM

Too bouncy, or?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2010, 09:20 AM

Nothing compares to the ACR for low recoil. You can even move down while still firing if the opponent goes prone. AUG is good with a grip, but not ACR good.

Was playing with a guy who was getting headshots with an MP5K without even aiming - he was on my team for S&D so we were actually spectating him. Is there such stuff as aimbots or sticky-aim on the Xbox?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2010, 06:20 PM

Microsoft & Infinity Ward are offering a free download through Sunday for a pair of night vision goggles for your avatar.

Oh yeah, finally got my internet up and running. Moving sucks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2010, 02:25 PM

S&D rules!!!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2010, 08:00 PM

No?!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2010, 11:04 PM

Okay, I think I got the lay of the land on the new maps. I need to find some good sniping and FMJ spots, though. I don't see too many glass windows.

Bailout and Storm have been good for my Danger Close class with noob tube and thumper. I should be able to finish the Danger Close perk challenge.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2010, 03:15 PM

Well our glorious return to TDM last night was brutal...on the other team that is!

Seems that, if anything, playing Objective games and S&D has sharpened our killing skills. We (Dakar, Boy8, and I) must have won at least 7 games in a row last night, some of those being massive blowouts.

Of course even though we were killing the other team they had a several guys being Johnny on the spot with regards to our hovering killstreaks. I had a Harrier and Pavelow in the air at one point and neither of them had much time to get a single kill before they were shot down. I guess if you are getting spanked in kills your best bet is to make sure it doesn't get much worse due to killstreaks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2010, 03:21 PM

Oh, also...

Dakar, have you noticed that S&D on Bailout goes the exact opposite way that every other map does?

We usually have the easiest time defending the objective, but on Bailout we have a very hard time defending and a very easy time attacking. I haven't noticed this on any other map.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 03:35 PM

Did you already get your S&D 30 win challenge?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2010, 03:38 PM

28/30

Dakar and I attempted to get me 2 more wins, but at 3am they were impossible to come by and we ended up signing off.

I am going to get those 2 wins tonight, and I assume Dakar will be prestiging soon so it'll be back to TDM.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 04:29 PM

I am going to get those 2 wins tonight, and I assume Dakar will be prestiging soon so it'll be back to TDM.
Yeah, if there's ONE thing that you don't want to do in this game, its to go into S&D without your favourite perks enabled. In other S&D news, I got called a noob cos I had cold-blooded on. There are lots and lots of kids who don't care if they win S&D, they care more about getting 'cool' kills, quick scopes etc. Quite infuriating sometimes.

The day was going well, I'm up to level 60, but the last few games people have been sponging my bullets. Reminds me of everything I hate about std games. I had a go of HC TDM and ... hated it. S&D is definitely my flavour of the month. I might stick with it a bit more, even after the XP goes back to normal.

Cheers for the invite boy8 and Dakar, I thought that the lag was acceptable considering boy8 is probably exactly the opposite side of the world to me. I should have stayed with you guys longer, I didn't seem to get as much XP later on.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2010, 06:11 PM

We should at least play one S&D match together, matty. I'll even join your lobby and suffer the lag.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Yeah, if there's ONE thing that you don't want to do in this game, its to go into S&D without your favourite perks enabled.
True that. My S&D class is pretty much my ultimate class in general.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2010, 06:49 PM

We should at least play one S&D match together, matty. I'll even join your lobby and suffer the lag.
IIRC Dakar had three bars when he joined in a game with a few of my clan. I had three and sometimes two bars for the games with Dakar and boy8. You've got a pretty good web connection haven't you? Shouldn't be too bad if we're in the same lobby. I've been playing with lots of Americans recently and while it sometimes gets uncomfortable its acceptable. I'll try and get on tomorrow evening/night and I'll join you for a game or two.

True that. My S&D class is pretty much my ultimate class in general.
My S&D (I seem to only be playing std S&D, no idea why) setup :
I have either the M4, Scar, Tar or ACR with Noob tube and a silencer. Cold-Blooded and Ninja. A claymore and flash grenades. Secondary was the AA-12 or Striker with silencer but I get killed sometimes when the range is at the limit. I've been using the M93 Raffica again with some success. I'm not quick enough to use a sniper rifle and I don't seem to get as many kills when using the SMGs.

Only difference for TDM is the use of Scavenger instead of Bling for the AR class. I usually just run around like an idiot in TDM though. I find it hard to sit still unless I have a sniper rifle.

Oh, I played 12 days worth of CoD4 and I never knew how to get on the roof in Overgrown. Well now I know.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2010, 08:16 PM

S&D is fun, but its full of biggest bitches around. Between the people that quit when they're down 2 or 3-0, (Not even clans!), the quickscopers, the M21 spammers, the guys who will complain about any ****ing weapon, its a bit of a trial for extended periods of time. I thought TDM was bad, but S&D is way worse. And Wasteland can **** itself about 10x more on S&D.

On the bright side of things, I earned an insane amount of titles and emblems this Prestige, mostly thanks to the Stimulus playlist. The rough count is something like 15 titles and 8 emblems. Also thanks to the Stimulus playlist I ended up putting damn near 500 kills on the Striker. Now that I've gone back to the SPAS its almost impossible to use.

I think after doing the Stim Playlist I now like Demolition and S&D, but despise Domination and Sabotage (50 wins for the emblem?! Why?). I'm mostly neutral on CTF.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2010, 08:26 PM

Oh, the most frustrating thing I've found on S&D is watching teammates who are either deaf of stupid. A couple of times I could hear the enemy creeping up on them and they were completely clueless.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 12:29 AM

6/10.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2010, 11:06 AM

So, after a week, what does everyone think of the maps?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2010, 12:15 PM

S&D is fun, but its full of biggest bitches around. Between the people that quit when they're down 2 or 3-0, (Not even clans!), the quickscopers, the M21 spammers, the guys who will complain about any ****ing weapon, its a bit of a trial for extended periods of time. I thought TDM was bad, but S&D is way worse. And Wasteland can **** itself about 10x more on S&D.
Yup. And they usually have no pubic hair by the sound of it.

Oh, the most frustrating thing I've found on S&D is watching teammates who are either deaf of stupid. A couple of times I could hear the enemy creeping up on them and they were completely clueless.
Equally frustrating is SEEING the opposing player and your teammate just turns his back.

6/10.
Scum. Sorry, camping scum

So, after a week, what does everyone think of the maps?
I like them for S&D. I wasn't doing so well on Storm at first but I'm learning it a bit better now. While playing the Stimulus pack I really didn't enjoy Sabotage or Demolition on them. Don't think that I had ever played S&D on Crash or Overgrown before. So far so good. Pricey, but addicts are addicts.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2010, 12:29 PM

Bailout has been the front runner for a while now, and the only negative I can come up with is how easy it is to get spawn tubed.

Storm has grown on me quite a bit, and is an excellent map for S&D and TDM, all other game-types on it can suck my balls though.

Crash is a fun S&D and TDM map, the variety of ways to sneak about and catch people off-guard is nice, but the map is a little cramped and the battles tend to all revolve around the edges of the crash zone, which I assume is intentional but a little monotonous.

Overgrown is on the whole enjoyable, but it depends how the other team plays. If you have two aggressive teams it can be a real hoot, if you have two campy teams it's a true bore. I really like S&D on this map.

Salvage is currently bringing up the rear for me, it's repetitive, very little cover from killstreaks, and prone to noob tube battles. TDM is the most enjoyable playlist for me here, followed by S&D.

Forum Links
Forum Rules