Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Dakar's Halo 3 Thread

Dakar's Halo 3 Thread (Page 43)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2008, 03:00 PM

I personally like the misshapen skull in the middle of a Killing Frenzy.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2008, 03:04 PM

That was a different weekend. I don't think I did too good on the Zombie kills. I did get one last man standing medal. different sort of games, that's for sure. Especially the one with invisible zombies with gravity hammers.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2008, 03:12 PM

I'm partial to the Braaaaaains playlist myself, mostly because I tend to kick ass at it

Well thanks to this game I finally got my Overkill achievement, and also my first Rampage.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2008, 03:26 PM

I got my Last Man Standing & Hell's Janitor achievement yesterday. It's a shame we couldn't party up on the zombie playlists.

Braaaains was cool but speed demons was my favorite game type this past weekend.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2008, 03:28 PM

Yeah, I read some posts on Bungie's forums and I guess the max party size info was nothing more than a glitch.

Party size for Ranked FFA is always limited to 1.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I got my Last Man Standing & Hell's Janitor achievement yesterday. It's a shame we couldn't party up on the zombie playlists.

Braaaains was cool but speed demons was my favorite game type this past weekend.
Yeah, Speed Demons was fun. So was Creeping Rockets, I thought.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2008, 09:16 PM

One feature Bungie is missing from the Team Playlists is a way to end the game when more than half your team deserts. I was in a 4vs4 team game and everyone except me eventually deserted. I was in another 6vs6 game and 4 of the other team deserted. It's not much fun when people desert and why should someone take a -1 EXP hit and quit the game.
MacBook Pro

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2008, 02:27 PM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2008, 02:30 PM

Odd, I thought they rebuffed that in a weekly update.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2008, 02:36 PM

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2008, 05:54 PM

Question: Is the MP of this game worth buying the game? I don't care for Halo as a story nor do I like the gameplay of the single player. Also, have I missed too much to join the Halo 3 online community? I have an odd feeling its full of losers who's life IS the game and they all have elitist attitudes.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Geofries View Post
Question: Is the MP of this game worth buying the game? I don't care for Halo as a story nor do I like the gameplay of the single player. Also, have I missed too much to join the Halo 3 online community? I have an odd feeling its full of losers who's life IS the game and they all have elitist attitudes.
the short answer is buy it. the multiplayer is amazing and has the best matchmaking of any game on any console. your not too late to the party believe me, halo has an extremely diverse group with all types of players. ask anyone on here and they will tell you to make the purchase.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2008, 06:07 PM

One more question: Does it take strategy to stay alive, and kill? Or is it like I found COD4 to be: If they see me first I'm basically dead?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2008, 06:13 PM

It's not as realistic as COD4 so you can actually run away and present a decent defense.

I say get it, the single player has been weak since Halo 2, but who cares? The multiplayer is the finest any console game has to offer. It has a huge variety of gametypes, weapons, and vehicles that make anyone's specific type of play useful, if not downright necessary.

Me and KB are run and gun players, using a long range rifle and playing balls to wall. Dakar likes to sneak around and catch players unawares, Stogie tends to gravitate towards the vehicles and their main weapons.

Every weapon and vehicle has it's place, and indeed should be utilized at all times. I can't count how many times I've lost a game simply because people didn't want to be a gunner in my warthog (basically a hummer with a chaingun on top)

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2008, 06:15 PM

Well that has pretty much sold me. I've just always thought it odd buying a game just for the multi, but what the hell.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2008, 06:20 PM

It is a tad odd, and I even prefer a game that has a solid single player campaign (Half Life 2, Bioshock, etc) but Halo Multiplayer has always been worth the price of admission IMO.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2008, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It is a tad odd, and I even prefer a game that has a solid single player campaign (Half Life 2, Bioshock, etc) but Halo Multiplayer has always been worth the price of admission IMO.
i can't agree more, i feel like me and sek have EXTREMELY similar taste in games and i usually prefer a great single player mode but halo's robust multiplayer makes it worth the 60$ (Even less now used)

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Geofries View Post
Well that has pretty much sold me. I've just always thought it odd buying a game just for the multi, but what the hell.
I bought UT2004 (on the Mac) for the multiplayer part. I've never played through the single player.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that Halo 3's single player campaign isn't good. Halo 1 really WOW'ed me, it had a good story, great expansive scenic environments, and great vehicles. Halo 2 was okay, but it seemed more closed in environment... nothing about the environment WOW'ed me. Like in Halo 1 you step out this door into a bridge, in winter, that's miles above the ground with a battle going on below. Halo 3, I was hardly into the single player, it was just something to get through to get used to Halo 3, since I hadn't done much except the single player in Halo 2.

As well I'm still unsure whether I like Halo 3 multiplayer better than 1. Yeah there is alot of new stuff, but I'm not sure if they've ruined the vehicles or not. In one way, it was good to have invicible vehicles (Halo 1), in another I can see why they have damageable vehicles (Halo 3), as they are more realistic, and it adds a balance with the ground troops. It's just wierd how one guy can climb on a wraith and bring it down, or one laser shot brings down a warthog. I never played Halo 2 MP, so I imagine they added some of that in Halo 2 MP.

But Halo 3 MP is still alot of fun with all the different game types. My favourite is 3-ball Oddball or Oddball or Ninjaball or CTF, or... well maybe I have a few faourites. I gotta see how Griftball plays, it sounds interesting. Although I don't understand why they call it a "ball" game as it doesn't use the skull but the bomb. I'm impressed with the console matchmaking in Halo 3, quite impressive. It's better than even UT2004 on my Mac.
( Last edited by Leonard; Nov 14, 2008 at 12:54 PM. )
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
It's just wierd how one guy can climb on a wraith and bring it down
The Wraith will be fine after that, just the driver dies when you melee.

...or one laser shot brings down a warthog. I never played Halo 2 MP, so I imagine they added some of that in Halo 2 MP.
Well in Halo 2 MP the Rocket Launcher had a homing feature that was almost more devastating than the Spartan Laser. In H3 the super-weapon is the Laser, which is why the ammo is so limited.

I gotta see how Griftball plays, it sounds interesting. Although I don't understand why they call it a "ball" game as it doesn't use the skull but the bomb.
It does use the bomb. It works like dodgeball (the real game). Two teams spawn at either end of the 'court' and the bomb is placed in the middle. Once the bomb is grabbed the bomb carrier gets a boost in speed and an overshield, which he needs since everyone trying to kill him has Gravity Hammers and Swords. The bomb arms within a split second and there is no chance to disarm it, meaning a bomb arm is an instant point.

It's wicked fun, keep an eye out on Bungie.net to see when it'll be in the playlist rotation again.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 02:35 PM

I believe it's back this weekend.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2008, 02:36 PM

Well I'll be, Grifball is this weekend's double exp weekend playlist.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It's wicked fun, keep an eye out on Bungie.net to see when it'll be in the playlist rotation again.
I guess I forgot to mention the reason I asked about Griftball, is because it's on the Double EXP Weekend playlist this weekend, which has already started.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 03:32 PM

I remember the last time Grifball was on Double EXP weekend. Dakar and I had a zero ranking after we played like 10 games. Even with Fatty's help we couldn't win a match.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2008, 03:38 PM

That game abuses my verizon induced latency.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I remember the last time Grifball was on Double EXP weekend. Dakar and I had a zero ranking after we played like 10 games. Even with Fatty's help we couldn't win a match.
Which is no surprise, since I'm absolute garbage with the Grav Hammer.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2008, 09:26 PM

I guess my question of how the hell can you get an extermination badge has been answered... Grifball!

I see I have 2 extermination badges already, and the weekend has just started. Of course the first couple of games I just went after the other team and let someone else take the ball...
MacBook Pro

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2008, 11:35 AM

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/18/gi...is-open-world/

Rumor has it Recon is a 3 - 5 hour open-world game?

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2008, 01:55 PM

Yeah I read that. Not exactly Halo style, eh?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2008, 01:59 PM

It's still an FPS though. An open-world FPS. Weird.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2008, 03:33 PM

seems to me that bungie knows no matter what kind of game this turns out to be it will sell MILLIONS of copies, therefore its the perfect time to change the formula and see what the response is... IMO

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 01:48 AM

Good point. (I'd buy it if it ever came out for the PC.)
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 09:13 AM

Here's what confuses me. I imagine they're basically using the same graphics engine (particularly if the Mythic Map Pack is going to be compatible with Halo 3). Are they adding new weapons? New vehicles? I don't understand why their turn around time for this looks like a year+ when most of the ground work has already been laid down and they're not creating very much content (3 - 5 hours). Small development team?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2008, 05:19 PM

Man there are some real nitwits in some of the playlists on Halo. Yesterday I was playing Social Skirmish on Valhalla, and here's this guy shootin' me in the back as I leave base. I tell him to quit and he doesn't. Eventually I lose him until I die again. He repeats it again, when I leave base, I warn him, he keeps it up so I melee him (and luckily don't kill him), he kills me which brings up the boot screen. Booted the bugger and his buddie. We lost that game of skirmish, but at least the bugger got booted.

Of course there aren't many of those nitwits. Most matches are fun, it's just that one or two bad Apples. I think as I progress to higher EXP in each of the playlists, those guys drop off...

I wonder what they're going to have for Double EXP weekend this weekend?

Got my Spartan Officer achievement finally when I hit 50 EXP on Rumble Pit. Got the new Double-Double achievement as well.
MacBook Pro

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2008, 03:04 AM

so.... i popped in the halo disc yesterday and.... wow i suck, took me a few games to get back to my regular BR and plasma grenade skills (which weren't that good BEFORE)

I must say the elimination of sheild doors on snowbound/epitath is f***** redunkulious (thats spelled right...) to me it destroys a lot of the strategy of a fire fight on those levels (although the shield doors do favor the shotgun whores) but i vote n: for removal of shield doors.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
I must say the elimination of sheild doors on snowbound/epitath is f***** redunkulious (thats spelled right...) to me it destroys a lot of the strategy of a fire fight on those levels (although the shield doors do favor the shotgun whores) but i vote n: for removal of shield doors.
That actually depends on the variation of Snowbound. Snowbound still has the shield doors. Boundless, a variation, doesn't have them. The same is probably true of Epitaph, though I really didn't notice.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2008, 09:32 PM

Grifball Double EXP Weekend is back.
MacBook Pro

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2008, 11:41 AM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2008, 01:37 AM

Hey, you can't just post a picture and not tell us something about it. I've played Halo online for a few months and don't recognize that location. The only map I haven't played would be Cold Storage. Or is that a pic of one of the new Recon maps?
MacBook Pro

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2008, 12:46 AM

So when are we going to schedule our next NN Halo 3 meet-up? It's been a loooong time since I have tea bagged anyone. Playing GoW 2 multiplayer made me realize how much I missed this game.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2008, 11:37 AM

I'm not too big on a meet-up until I finish up my GoW2 achievements. Each game requires a different style.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2009, 12:55 PM

http://kotaku.com/5123447/bungie-rel...k-restrictions

Personally, I'd just like to see the software recognize how many mics are plugged in and enable/disable PTT based on that, but apparently I'm thinking outside the box here.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2009, 10:57 PM

Ahhh, that might explain why my comments get transmitted even though I'm not pushing the button.

I usually frequent the 5-person team Social Skirmish and the 8-person team playlists, so on the 5-person team I don't have to push to talk, but then on the 8-person you would have to.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 03:29 PM

Careful guys and gals, Halo3 makes you go insane.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7826663.stm

What's the expression - What a crock?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2009, 09:49 PM

Who says I'm not insane?!?

No, honestly, who? I wanna kill him...
MacBook Pro

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2009, 06:12 PM

stogie, you're desperate for a meet-up, I'm desperate to finish the damn game on Legendary. I know sek needs the achievement yet, so perhaps you and maybe the Boguester would be interested in a little friendly 4 man co-op some time?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2009, 06:16 PM

Sounds sexy!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2009, 06:24 PM

Sounds good to me. Pick a date and time. Bogues... you in?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2009, 06:28 PM

Bogues is the Phantom of the Gaming Forum.

I can hear his sad lament coming from the basement.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2009, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I can hear him saying "What? But... but I just bought Left 4 Dead!"

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2009, 01:32 PM

Of course i'm in! I have been quite random in my posting recently but i'm back at PSU now so i'll be in my regular form now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules