Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacBook released

MacBook released (Page 5)
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
You think it sucks, but you'd like to get one? Is "GMA950" a codename for "women" or what?
The graphics suck. The rest of the computer rocks. Especially for that price.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Anti-Spam
There is a difference between 9200 mobility and 9550 in an ibook.
http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firs...php?lsrc=mwrss

Unreal Tournament 2004 AVERAGE FRAME RATE

MacBook/1.83GHz Intel Core Duo: 17.8
14-inch iBook/1.42GHz G4: 14.1

If you found your iBook fast enough for gaming, a MacBook will be so as well.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Wow other than games the MacBook slaughters the G4 iBook.

Well, that's a big surprise, considering that the MacBook has a massively faster processor and hard disk.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 06:51 AM

You think it sucks, but you'd like to get one? Is "GMA950" a codename for "women" or what?
I'd like to get a Mac laptop, more specifically one that can run Windows and OS X. I'd like a better graphics card, but I don't want to pay an extra $700 for it. What do you suggest that I do? Besides, the MBP is too big - I'd like something smaller.

Given the choices, it's basically a MacBook. Yeah, I'd like a better graphics card, but the size it what I'm looking for and the price is much better. I might play a 3D game two times in an entire year, so I'm not paying extra for that feature. I fail to see how I should care that much about the card. It may not be what *you* want, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suit anyone else. I've long since gotten over using my CPU & GPU as a substitute for a large dick, so I just buy things that get the job done.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Whine whine whine. Yes, we all agree that the GMA950 sucks. But I'd still get one.

I'd just like to see some WoW benchmarks, as long as they surpass my three year old Rev A. 17" PowerBook with a GeForce 4MX I'd be happy, because it's more than adequate to run WoW as is
Interesting post from Tigerclaw over on the WoW Mac forums:

"WoW has a bit of a tough time on Intel graphics, but we expect this to improve after a round of future display driver updates.

More concretely, we see higher FPS in XP than in OSX on that class of GPU, so we know the hardware is capable of more than the current OSX drivers achieve. It's something Apple is actively working on."

Anti-Spam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL

Im not saying that the iBook is faster than the Macbook's GPU, im saying that by today's standards, the new GPU in Macbook's are completely outdated in performance. 3 frames more, is a joke, and sure UT may use smaller maps, but when you play WOW and the upcoming WOW-expansion, slow memory and integrated graphics is just not gonna cut it. Radeon 9550 at the time of the iBook was good, VERY GOOD, this integrated crap is beyond bottom line.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Well, that's a big surprise, considering that the MacBook has a massively faster processor and hard disk.
Yet only $100 more. Nicely done apple!

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 09:33 AM

"The MacBook's 1.83GHz and 2GHz Intel Core Duo processors are comfortably powerful enough to playback Apple's HD QuickTime content and support Elgato's EyeTV 500 or Miglia's TVMini HD."

http://www.the-hdtv-tuner.com/mobile...ia-center.html
Who cares?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 09:35 AM

Yet only $100 more. Nicely done apple!
and yet, it runs almost every game 75% WORSE... indeed, kudos to Apple. What an incredible piece of sh*t.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 09:37 AM

Unless, of course, we're talking about WoW (you know, the most popular Mac game). Which it won't run at all.
- Thomas Paine

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
May 18, 2006, 09:46 AM

I don't give a hoot about laptop gaming anyway. My concern is the keyboard and black spray on matte finish. I wanted my BlacBook to be shiny gloss black plastic.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 10:09 AM

The MacBook haters should seriously switch to PCs. You can go out and configure a 13" vaio or dell to have everything your heart desires, including ati gfx. It'll cost you more, but you'll get what you want.

You guys are making such a big deal over gaming that it's a wonder why you ever became Mac users in the first place.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 18, 2006, 10:16 AM

So yes, UT2004 does poorly on both the MacBook and the iBook.

Originally Posted by Anti-Spam
There is a difference between 9200 mobility and 9550 in an ibook.
Yes, but his point was that Quake 3 would run terribly in a MacBook. That is not the case, as even the lowly 1.42 GHz Mac mini with Radeon 9200 seems to run Quake 3 acceptably well, and Core Duo 1.66 is much faster in Quake 3. And the MacBook is even faster.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
The MacBook haters should seriously switch to PCs. You can go out and configure a 13" vaio or dell to have everything your heart desires, including ati gfx. It'll cost you more, but you'll get what you want.

You guys are making such a big deal over gaming that it's a wonder why you ever became Mac users in the first place.
Because Mac users don't play games? There's something wrong with wanting a computer that does work AND doubles as a decent game machine?

Probably will buy a Vaio or a Lenovo for my next notebook, at least with those I can get what I actually want and not what Apple THINKS I should have.
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 10:42 AM

I'm waiting for rev 2. I can wait.

I like the direction Apple is going in though. I'm hoping that they make the black model more reasonable the second time around.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Probably will buy a Vaio or a Lenovo for my next notebook, at least with those I can get what I actually want and not what Apple THINKS I should have.
In all seriousness, those are two good choices. Were I not buying a Macbook, I would go with either the SZ or any of the mid-range Thinkpads.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
SYes, but his point was that Quake 3 would run terribly in a MacBook. That is not the case, as even the lowly 1.42 GHz Mac mini with Radeon 9200 seems to run Quake 3 acceptably well, and Core Duo 1.66 is much faster in Quake 3. And the MacBook is even faster.
Yup, just shows once again that GoMac has no friggin' clue what he is talking about

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 12:32 PM

Well people are reporting the MB's have the whine but when plugged in.

Great

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 12:45 PM

If Apple were to send me some cheese, I'd forgive them.

(All Lounge threads should have at least one mention of cheese.)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Well people are reporting the MB's have the whine but when plugged in.

Great
The whine goes away when they're booted in Windows, right? I hope Apple fixes the whine in 10.5. Anyone with a 10.5 beta that can comment on whines?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 12:53 PM

Except that it has been consistently shown that Apple uses the graphics card to enable new OS features.

You buy a Mac with integrated graphics, a few years down the line it could be completely unusable...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 01:11 PM

You realize I was being sarcastic when I made that "consumer-level buyers and students never want to play games," right? Because they actually do. It's stupid to me that you have to buy a pro machine to do consumer-level tasks.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 01:15 PM

You realize I was being sarcastic when I made that "consumer-level buyers and students never want to play games," right? Because they actually do. It's stupid to me that you have to buy a pro machine to do consumer-level tasks.
Well good. Because the last posted benchmarks show it does better than the last iBook with a video card.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 01:18 PM

Well, I got a black one yesterday. Upgraded to 1 gig ram. Been at work using it all morning. Runs Photoshop CS very well! (this is through Rosetta no doubt) I have lots of crap open and it's been awesome so far.

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
Well, I got a black one yesterday. Upgraded to 1 gig ram. Been at work using it all morning. Runs Photoshop CS very well! (this is through Rosetta no doubt) I have lots of crap open and it's been awesome so far.

Whine? pealing paint?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 01:21 PM

Except that it has been consistently shown that Apple uses the graphics card to enable new OS features.

You buy a Mac with integrated graphics, a few years down the line it could be completely unusable...
Just because it might not support new features at some point in the future, does not mean it will become completely unusable. My iBook G3 does not support the new CoreImage features of Tiger (despite its dedicated graphics card!) and it is still working just fine. Actually it is doing more now than it could do under Jaguar with which it came. I got four years out of this notebook and I'm sure I will get four years out of my new MacBook.

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 01:22 PM

Here are the vista hardware requirements:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060518-6863.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Unless, of course, we're talking about WoW (you know, the most popular Mac game). Which it won't run at all.
I haven't heard of "WoW", but if it doesn't run that is a bug that should be fixed by the maker of that game or Apple (whomever that bug belongs to). Then let's see how good the MacBook does.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 01:27 PM

Here are the vista hardware requirements.
So the MacBook would work just fine with Vista (if for whatever reason you'd want that). Case closed.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 01:32 PM

Well good. Because the last posted benchmarks show it does better than the last iBook with a video card.
Yes, it's a supposedly little better than a computer which was due to be replaced, but still not as good as an old PowerBook. I suppose that would be OK.

Anyway, I'm waiting for either more benchmarks or an explanation of those benchmarks, because it doesn't seem to make sense to see such a large disparity between a 1.8 GHz iBook and a 1.6 GHz Mac mini.
Chuck
___

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 01:36 PM

Whine? pealing paint?
If I put my ear to the keyboard and turn all ambient sound off, yeah I can hear a bit of a hard drive whine I guess. Not noticeable at all really. No pealing paint though.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 01:37 PM

It's stupid to me that you have to buy a pro machine to do consumer-level tasks.
All I'm saying is that if gaming is a deal-breaker for you, then the Mac shouldn't be your first choice of platform.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 01:45 PM

How odd, because I've managed to do it fine up till now.
Chuck
___

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 01:46 PM

Yes, it's a supposedly little better than a computer which was due to be replaced, but still not as good as an old PowerBook. I suppose that would be OK.
The powerbooks cost hundreds more.

Anywho, for Vista, does the GMA950 support direct X?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 01:52 PM

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/

It supports DirectX 9, so all the Vista glass stuff will be there.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 01:52 PM

Yes, it supports DirectX 9.

And I bet you my PowerBook with said performance wouldn't go for "hundreds more" right now.
Chuck
___

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 01:59 PM

The powerbooks cost hundreds more.

Minimum Requirements (Vista-Capable PCs):

800 MHz Intel-compatible processor
512MB of RAM
DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor
20GB HD

Recommended Requirements (Premium-Ready PCs):

1 GHz Intel-compatible processor
1GB RAM
DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor, with 128MB graphics memory. (64MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels [no more than 1440x900]; 128MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels [no more than 1920x1200]; 256MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels [more than 1920x1200]).
40GB HD with at least 15GB "free space"

So I guess that means I'm gonna partition my drive with a little bit extra for the Windows partition. Originally I was going to allocate exactly 15 GB, but it looks like that could be a bit cramped.

The GMA 950 is sufficient for Aero. It has the 64 MB RAM needed for its 1280x800 screen, and it has full support for DirectX 9.0 (although its DX9 support is very slow).

It will be interesting to know though if GMA 950 in the MacBook can use 128 MB (or more) under Vista. Is the 64 MB limitation only under OS X?

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 02:03 PM

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/

It supports DirectX 9, so all the Vista glass stuff will be there.

So once again GoMac needs to shut his pie hole.

So far he has said:

Quicktime is GPU (the MacBooks are faster at iMovie and high def trailers)
The effects in Vista will be lost on the GMA950
The MacBook will be worse than the iBook for gaming.

All were WRONG!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 02:11 PM

Well, that's just wonderful! It runs as well as a 1 year old iBook in a couple games! Woohoo! Too bad it runs like sh!t compared to a $1200 Innovo w/ the same processor (and a nice 128MB Nvidia Go 7300).
- Thomas Paine

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 02:13 PM

Isn't UT running in Rosetta?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2006, 02:18 PM

Not if they're using the Universal Binary.
Chuck
___

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 03:44 PM

"For those who have expressed so much concern over the built-in graphics subsystem in the MacBook, they should take a look at the specs:
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm
I think most folks are confusing the GMA950 with the previous generation of GMA chipsets that were terrible performers and offered no 3d acceleration.
The GMA950 is on par with the RADEON 9600/GeForce 5600 series."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:59 PM

"For those who have expressed so much concern over the built-in graphics subsystem in the MacBook, they should take a look at the specs:
I think most folks are confusing the GMA950 with the previous generation of GMA chipsets that were terrible performers and offered no 3d acceleration.
You're quoting Intel's website?

The GMA950 gets 10-15 fps in World of Warcraft, not to mention it's just plain missing features that the Radeon 9600 has.

Aspyr has already said only two of their titles run usably on the GMA950. Two.

Edit: Whoever you're quoting is also plain wrong. Previous Intel GMA's did 3D acceleration. They just also sucked at it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 03:59 PM

Aside from the fact that that's just marketing, I don't even see the text you quoted on that site. Doing a Command-F for "GeForce" or "Radeon" turns up nothing.

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 04:12 PM

Aside from the fact that that's just marketing, I don't even see the text you quoted on that site. Doing a Command-F for "GeForce" or "Radeon" turns up nothing.
I didn't quote it, the author of the letter did:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...dex.html#may18

Either way the benchmarks are showing that the graphic abilities in games are better than the last iBook and it is fully Vista compatible so

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 04:24 PM

I didn't quote it, the author of the letter did:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...dex.html#may18

Either way the benchmarks are showing that the graphic abilities in games are better than the last iBook and it is fully Vista compatible so
If a game attempts to access a modern graphics chip feature (i.e. the GMA950 doesn't have any modern graphics chip features), the software is thrown out of hardware mode into software emulation (if anything, some games just refuse to run on the GMA950), and then performance suffers.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 04:34 PM

OK well hearing that the HD is user upgradable. I'm seriously thinking of getting a MacBook for my next one. I think I'll just wait till the Core2 Duos are out and see what happens.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2006, 04:40 PM

That's bullsh!t.

The GMA950 isn't even in the same league, much less the same ballpark as the Radeon 9600. If the MacBook had the Radeon 9600 (or X600 actually for this generation), I would be ECSTATIC. The Radeon 9600 is actually reasonably capable. The GMA950 is slooooowwwww. While it does support some of the latest features... it does some via software emulation. (Think of it almost like Rosetta for Photoshop.) That's why the next gen's Intel G965 is supposed to be a bit faster. It adds hardware support absent in GMA 950.

The main reason the MacBook does better than the previous iBooks in certain games is because the Core Duo CPU is way way way way faster than the G4. If the MacBook had the Radeon 9550, 9600, or X600, the performance would be quite impressive, at least for a consumer machine.

In fact, it'd be so impressive, it would make a lot more people choose the MacBook instead of the 15" MacBook Pro IMO. Hint hint...

Actually, I didn't think we had a chance in hell of getting the X600. I had been hoping for X300, cuz it's strictly a low end part and cheap, it can use system memory like the GMA 950, but it can play previous generation games quite well. GMA 950 cannot. GMA 950 can play 7 year old games like Quake 3 OK, but that's several generations ago.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 18, 2006 at 04:50 PM. )

Salty
Professional Poster
May 18, 2006, 05:07 PM

I still would like to see Apple add a bit more diversity to their laptop line.

Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I still would like to see Apple add a bit more diversity to their laptop line.
What like a gay version?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules