Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Get The Speed of Panther's Menus Back in Tiger or Leopard!

Get The Speed of Panther's Menus Back in Tiger or Leopard! (Page 5)
Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Heck if he isn't, I am.
I figured someone would be.

Keep your eyes peeled. I'm at work right now, but later on I can play with a few things and make a post. Most likely a new topic, which I'll link to in this thread.

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
I can post instructions on how to resign your apps so that Mail doesn't constantly ask for permission to use the keychain, etc. My offer is serious. Are you interested?
I'm interested... If I can get this to work, that would be excellent! Thanks for the offer man! Seriously... thanks for helping even though you don't have any problems.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2007, 05:11 PM

I figured someone would be.

Keep your eyes peeled. I'm at work right now, but later on I can play with a few things and make a post. Most likely a new topic, which I'll link to in this thread.
Great. If you can get it so I can hack with the system while still not messing it up I'll send you nude photos of Peter's old girlfriend.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 05:24 PM

Great. If you can get it so I can hack with the system while still not messing it up I'll send you nude photos of Peter's old girlfriend.
LOL!

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2007, 05:26 PM

Hey, she was cute.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2007, 06:13 PM

Now, now, let's be fair. There aren't four pages on this topic. Most of the discussion has been about code signing and it's advantages/disadvantages, and modifying apps and their advantages/disadvantages. There has been very little discussion of TheSpaz's issue with menu highlighting, actually.
There has been an entire thread about it before, though. Maybe it was the early Tiger days? Don't think it was Panther, because didn't have this "issue." Fair enough that there's been plenty of code signing discussion, but the purpose of the thread is still the discussion of this non-issue issue. Maybe I just can't get over how silly it was the first time around.

I'll go ahead and step out and let ya'll have at it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2007, 06:50 PM

Now, now, let's be fair. There aren't four pages on this topic. Most of the discussion has been about code signing and it's advantages/disadvantages, and modifying apps and their advantages/disadvantages. There has been very little discussion of TheSpaz's issue with menu highlighting, actually.
Yeah, I know. This has got to be the first time that I felt a thread got ruined simply by bringing it back on topic.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
There has been an entire thread about it before, though. Maybe it was the early Tiger days? Don't think it was Panther, because didn't have this "issue." Fair enough that there's been plenty of code signing discussion, but the purpose of the thread is still the discussion of this non-issue issue. Maybe I just can't get over how silly it was the first time around.

Just because YOU don't think it's an ISSUE doesn't mean that I don't think it is. Just shut up... if it doesn't affect you, don't post and complain about why it shouldn't affect me. The fact of the matter is, it affects me and that's why I made a topic about it. Instead of reading through 4 pages of a thread that doesn't concern you, go and read a thread and respond to one to which you care about rather than attacking me because I have a problem with something. I'm a perfectionist... I admit it... I am very particular and Apple is usually more perfect than Microsoft and I love Apple products but, sometimes they really bug me... and I thought you'd all be happy for me that I found a solution but, Apple made it bad again by using Code-Signing.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2007, 08:11 PM

We can conclude:

a) This isn't a bug. An engineer wouldn't add a flag for a bug fix; he would just fix the bug.
b) This is an extremely minor issue. I remember TheSpaz talk about this a long time ago already and couldn't see any difference back then, and I still don't know what the heck he's talking about now. Most people don't give a crap.
c) There must have been 'some' controversy over this minor change in the menus at Apple. Enough that somebody at Apple bothered to add a flag to switch to the old behavior.

What is still unkown:

Can't this flag be added to .GlobalPreferences.plist? Applications should pick that up I think, and then code signing would be unaffected.
I can't test because I don't see the issue.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post

Yes, but now code signing has become a reality and Leopard expects it. The earlier thread was more about the uncertainties of code signing, since we didn't know how Apple was going to implement it.

Now we know how Apple is implementing it, and we know to what extent it is currently used in Leopard, but we don't know to what extent it will be used in the future, except that it "will be used more."

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
Just because YOU don't think it's an ISSUE doesn't mean that I don't think it is. Just shut up... if it doesn't affect you, don't post and complain about why it shouldn't affect me. The fact of the matter is, it affects me and that's why I made a topic about it. Instead of reading through 4 pages of a thread that doesn't concern you, go and read a thread and respond to one to which you care about rather than attacking me because I have a problem with something. I'm a perfectionist... I admit it... I am very particular and Apple is usually more perfect than Microsoft and I love Apple products but, sometimes they really bug me... and I thought you'd all be happy for me that I found a solution but, Apple made it bad again by using Code-Signing.
I didn't attack anyone.

But my point still stands, I think, because maybe I missed it, how exactly does this "affect" you? You're upset about it because you notice it, not because it has some workflow, computing, or physical impact on you. Which was my point. It doesn't affect anyone; it "bugs" them. So how can this thread be taken any other way than complaining for the sake of complaining?

But I'll digress, shut up, and lay off.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 12:17 AM

OK. With regards to resigning an application that's been modified, I think I have most of it figured out. There are a few things I want to experiment with, and then I can give a list of instructions on how to do it.

The instructions will have to wait until tomorrow, because it's almost midnight as I write this and my pager went off and I have to go admit a patient to the hospital and by the time I'm done it will be past my usual bedtime and I have to be at work tomorrow at 8 AM.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2007, 07:28 AM

OK. With regards to resigning an application that's been modified, I think I have most of it figured out. There are a few things I want to experiment with, and then I can give a list of instructions on how to do it.

The instructions will have to wait until tomorrow, because it's almost midnight as I write this and my pager went off and I have to go admit a patient to the hospital and by the time I'm done it will be past my usual bedtime and I have to be at work tomorrow at 8 AM.
Well I will be waiting patiently.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 01:16 AM

Well, it's taking me longer to write this thing than I thought. I'm trying to be thorough. I'm about halfway done, but I'll get it posted as soon as I can.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2007, 07:57 AM

Well, it's taking me longer to write this thing than I thought. I'm trying to be thorough. I'm about halfway done, but I'll get it posted as soon as I can.
I will be waiting.

I did manage to take out the Intel code from major applications yesterday without doing any harm. I did fix permissions right after. I wish AppleJack worked in 10.5. It did it so much faster and easier than the install CD does. And for some reason, fixing permissions from a logged in account doesn't seem to work as well.

I saved about 2.4 gigs of space getting rid of all Intel code I didn't need. And about 600m from localizations that I asked OS X installer not to install. But it did anyhow.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 08:48 AM

I did manage to take out the Intel code from major applications yesterday without doing any harm.

(snip)

I saved about 2.4 gigs of space getting rid of all Intel code I didn't need. And about 600m from localizations that I asked OS X installer not to install. But it did anyhow.
The individual binaries (Intel, PPC) are signed separately, so stripping the unused one will not break the signature.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2007, 02:42 PM

Okay. It took a while longer than I hoped (real life has a nasty habit of doing that), but I finally posted my how-to on re-signing Apple's applications with your own signature once you've modified them.

I posted it in the Developer Center subforum, here.

Enjoy.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 09:28 PM

The individual binaries (Intel, PPC) are signed separately, so stripping the unused one will not break the signature.
Depending on the application.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2007, 09:37 PM

Elaborate?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 09:45 PM

I've removed Intel portions of certain applications and they no longer worked afterwords.

For example

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 10:15 PM

I've removed Intel portions of certain applications and they no longer worked afterwords.

For example

That's not the code signing, though. That's my own custom checksum that I've been running since well before the code-signing feature existed. The reason I still run it is because Pacifist still runs on versions of OS X older than 10.5 which don't include the code-signing feature. If and when Pacifist starts requiring OS X 10.5 or higher in order to run, that will get removed.

In the case of Leopard's official code-signing feature, it definitely does not break if you strip the PPC or Intel code out of a fat binary.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 10:36 PM

Ah, see I never tried to remove the Intel binary from your program till 10.5

Not that it saves that much space in Pacifist. Some apps though I've seen it save over 40megs in space.

Glad to see it's just a Pacifist thing. There are apps that do break if you take the Intel code part out though I heard. Not because of code signing however.

The application Xslimmer even has applications it blocks from letting you slim, that can be slimmed because of this.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 12:38 AM

EDIT: Never mind, mistaken reply.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules