Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbooks this week!

New Powerbooks this week! (Page 5)
andre1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 04:06 PM

Oh boy, this thread, funny as it may sound, has a very catchy title: "New powerbooks this week". Since it soes not specify which week, it is always relevant, and some week, "New powerbooks this week" will be a true statement... Sometime...

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2005, 04:14 PM

I am with you ghoti_9, consummer, consummer... Pros goes down. Maybe because we represent "only" 10% of the turnover and because we will NEVER go to the dark side.. well, just trying to comfort myself and I d better stop there.

jesset
Oct 12, 2005, 04:32 PM

Now ThinkSecret is predicting within the week... god I hope so.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by jesset

Hmmmmm, ThinkSecret. Weren't those the same folks who predicted no video iPod a day or so ago? Their track record ain't exactly stellar.

kw14
Oct 12, 2005, 05:10 PM

Kenstee, now you take that back! ThinkSecret is our poster boy of inside info ;-p
btw, they covered their ascii last night with vpod info.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by jesset
what else is new? this sort of speculation has been going on since august.

jesset
Oct 12, 2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
what else is new? this sort of speculation has been going on since august.
True, but I have to stay positive!

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2005, 06:10 PM

I hear ya. I hope you end up with a great system

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 07:01 PM

Someone else mentioned that Amazon extended the rebate on its PowerBooks from the 13th to the 18th, so ... that'd fall close to within "the next week". Or at least that's how I'm going to rationalize it.

robertj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 07:34 PM

I don't know whether the updates will come next week or not, but it's worth noting that the Amazon rebates are for specific model numbers--i.e., they won't apply to any updated 'books.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by robertj
I don't know whether the updates will come next week or not, but it's worth noting that the Amazon rebates are for specific model numbers--i.e., they won't apply to any updated 'books.

That's exactly the point!! The rebates may be a device to move out their inventory BEFORE new PBs are released.

enomehjashik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 08:39 PM

as an owner of the latest powerbook 15 inch. i hope there is no change in screen resolution till the intel transition. the rest of the rumored upgrades i dont care since my powerbook runs great as it is, but a higher res lcd was what i originally wanted back in june.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 09:23 PM

New PowerMacs must be coming soon with DDR2 and PCIe, since the iMac already has them.
PowerBooks with DDR2 and PCIe would be welcome, but unlikely.

Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 11:46 PM

Superdrives for all PBs & PMs.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 01:20 AM

Augh... I, along with probably a lot of other people, am just sick of waiting for updates. I keep thinking "just one more week", but I'm getting tired of waiting. If the rumor mill surrounding PB's wasn't so active right now, I'd just run out and get one today.

I would just like to see any sort of update right now. Just something to either make the new models a must-buy, or the old models cheap enough to still be getting a damn good machine at a great price.

Or maybe I should just get an iMac. Damn, why do I have to have portability?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

chme6583
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 09:38 AM

I thought I finally did it, convinced my mom to make the switch. She has been a hard-core PC user for years and years. But when she played with my Mac she was going to take the dive and get a PB. However, when she looked at the PB she decided against the switch. She told me, “The specs just don’t compare to what I could get in a PC.” I told her to look past the specs and the PB will be a more enjoyable experience. Sadly, she is now the owner of a new virus plagued HP notebook. Years of Apple bragging down the drain.

Come on Apple, update the PB already before more switchers decided against the switch.

madmanXwater
Oct 13, 2005, 10:46 AM

Tell your mom to get McAfee Virus Scan! Works great on my HP with a 3.2Ghz P4 and an 800mhz bus............you get the idea. Sorry, lol, just rubbing the specs in!

I look forward to next years Intel PowerBooks. I'm sure I'll be selling the HP when that happens.

Mike
Canada (17" 1.33 PowerBook, HP zd8225)

RogerR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 07:03 PM

Apple INsider is now "reporting" that the upcoming PowerBook upgrades may in fact utilize the same 7447A 1.67 processor used in the current PowerBooks.
See http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1320
Putting aside the obvious disappointment I would have if this were the case, based on the general description they provide of Apple trying to put together one last PPC upgrade prior to Intel, it makes one wonder if the lack of personnel available to work on this revision will result in one really buggy machine.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by RogerR
Apple INsider is now "reporting" that the upcoming PowerBook upgrades may in fact utilize the same 7447A 1.67 processor used in the current PowerBooks.
Putting aside the obvious disappointment I would have if this were the case, based on the general description they provide of Apple trying to put together one last PPC upgrade prior to Intel, it makes one wonder if the lack of personnel available to work on this revision will result in one really buggy machine.

<prays>

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 08:04 PM

God, I hope that 'report' is wrong. I will be so disappointed in my favorite company if it is true.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 08:06 PM

If AI were just making stuff up, you'd think they would come up with something a bit ... happier.

jesset
Oct 14, 2005, 01:09 AM

Stock configurations on Powerbooks just went to 3-5 days to ship. Thats got to be a good sign.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2005, 03:15 AM

These days, anything is a good sign!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Moon Potato
Oct 14, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by RogerR
Ugh... I really hope this doesn't happen. I need a laptop that will run FCP, and have been waiting patiently for a substantial powerbook update... but if the next batch still feature the same crippled 167MHz system bus that has been a bottleneck problem since the 1.25GHz 'books came out, I'll probably just get a refurbed previous generation powerbook or ibook for now and save my money for a snazzy intel book down the road.

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 14, 2005, 01:29 PM

Okay guys, I'm taking one for the team. I'm heading down to the store today to pick up a new Powerbook. If new ones come out within two weeks I guess I'll just return it or sell it.

Cheers

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2005, 02:25 PM

I think I'm going to just get a maxed out 12" iBook and call it a day for the PPC.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 14, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fusion
Okay guys, I'm taking one for the team. I'm heading down to the store today to pick up a new Powerbook. If new ones come out within two weeks I guess I'll just return it or sell it.
Note that although you have 14 days to return it, Apple will hit you with a 10% restocking charge. Many other stores around here have a similar policy.

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 14, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Note that although you have 14 days to return it, Apple will hit you with a 10% restocking charge. Many other stores around here have a similar policy.
Yep, but I'm just going to have to eat it. I need it before Monday, and today is my only chance to get down there. If I do have to pay %10, it will just be paying 10% for a better machine and I am okay with that.

On top of that, I am a student and tax exempt, and so is my wife, so I'm getting it cheaper than most people pay anyway.

I know it's stupid, but I have to do it

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2005, 03:49 PM

According to Macworld, there is a special Apple event about "pro innovations" on October 19. That's only 5 days away.

inkhead
Senior User
Oct 14, 2005, 03:56 PM

12 inch gets replaced by 13.1 i believe, if they decide to go widescreen which i think they will ;-)

Originally Posted by Tim916
I'd really like to see the 12" get a good upgrade in terms of standard ram and video and also a better screen. I read a rumor that the 12" would be dropped, but I don't see how that would make any sense, seeing how a lot of people need a small notebook that is (or should be) more capable than the 12" ibook. Not to mention that it is really slick looking, too.

inkhead
Senior User
Oct 14, 2005, 03:58 PM

don't pay any restocking fee, this is a preposterous idea! Just let them know you are NOT happy and want a full refund.

Originally Posted by Fusion
Yep, but I'm just going to have to eat it. I need it before Monday, and today is my only chance to get down there. If I do have to pay %10, it will just be paying 10% for a better machine and I am okay with that.

On top of that, I am a student and tax exempt, and so is my wife, so I'm getting it cheaper than most people pay anyway.

I know it's stupid, but I have to do it

idyll
Senior User
Oct 14, 2005, 04:27 PM

not only that, but the shipping times for the powerbooks have changed to 3-5 days from 24 hours, which can only lead to one thing..

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2005, 04:43 PM

Why haven't the mods made this a sticky yet?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Why haven't the mods made this a sticky yet?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by idyll
not only that, but the shipping times for the powerbooks have changed to 3-5 days from 24 hours, which can only lead to one more thing..
Fixed.

The shipping times are still the same on the 12" though.

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 14, 2005, 05:01 PM

Well this all but confirms it.

"We will unveil Apple's latest PRO innovations" - emphasis added.

meta-phor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2005, 05:32 PM

Went into my local apple store today and was told....
'Don't get a PB this week as they will be revised on the 19th of this month. and its a power boost'

as i wasnt getting a power book it was a shocker, especially as they guy didnt know wether the Apple 20 inch display was just DVI or if it would take VGA from my iBook!!!

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by meta-phor
'Don't get a PB this week as they will be revised on the 19th of this month. and its a power boost'

as i wasnt getting a power book it was a shocker, especially as they guy didnt know wether the Apple 20 inch display was just DVI or if it would take VGA from my iBook!!!
Wonder what that Apple guy's name is on this forum?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2005, 06:24 PM

interesting.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2005, 07:30 PM

doesn't sound like someone who's in the know...

often, apple store people know about the new stuff AFTER, say, macnn addicts (i know this from experience: when i went it to the apple store last year, and told the genius i'd just updated to 10.3.6 or something, and he told me there was no such update)

plus these guys are there to sell stock items, not warn you to wait...

guess we'll see in 5 days...if!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
The current PowerBooks are fine, but I think the next PowerPC PowerBooks are going to be a significant upgrade:

90 nm G4 7448 with 1 MB L2. Even if it only hits 1.8 GHz at the top end, that's a pretty significant upgrade.
200 MHz bus
Better GPUs
512 MB soldered onto the mobo for the 12"
I hope they come out with G4 7448 processors. DDR2 are useless without them.
Is this going to be the last revision before Mactel?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2005, 07:56 PM

am eating my hat...

not the usual rumor source
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky8
I hope they come out with G4 7448 processors. DDR2 are useless without them.
DDR2 uses less power than DDR, regardless of CPU.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee
About a day or two ago Amazon extended their $200 PB rebate to Oct 18 from its original date of Oct 13. As they say in the movies..."This is no coincidence."

And GSixZero replied: The retailers have no idea what's going on with updates... in fact most people inside Apple have no idea about update schedules.
I stand vindicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazon PB rebates end the 18th (was originally supposed to end on the 13th.) Apple Event announcing new PBs scheduled for the 19th!! Someone say to me with a straightface that this is a coincidence!!!

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 10:17 PM

smell of new PowerBooks eventually ?

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee
I stand vindicated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazon PB rebates end the 18th (was originally supposed to end on the 13th.) Apple Event announcing new PBs scheduled for the 19th!! Someone say to me with a straightface that this is a coincidence!!!
It's a coincidence. At best, it's speculation on Amazon's part. After all, their buyers and employees read rumor, news, and other sites just like all of us.

But the idea that Amazon knows Apple's product announcement plans is ludicrous. Apple's own retail stores don't know about products until they're announced. I was in an Apple Store after the nanon announcement, and it was funny to watch the employees try to answer questions from people in the store and on the phone. Customers knew more than the Apple staff.

Apple has little incentive (and much in the way of disincentive) to tell anyone about new products.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2005, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
am eating my hat...

not the usual rumor source

I'm very, very happy about this. I can't wait to see what Mr. Jobs will unveil.

ChadC
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2005, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
don't pay any restocking fee, this is a preposterous idea! Just let them know you are NOT happy and want a full refund.
Do you really think this is possible? I just bought a powerbook sunday morning and heard that afternoon, luckily before I opened it, that they were having the event on wednesday. Naturally I waited till wednesday before I opened it. Now I come home today and find this out?

I am really unhappy about the fact that there is most likely going to be an update and now I will be screwed into paying a rediculous 10% restock fee.

Anybody think I could really complain enough to get the new one without payhing the fee?

Hopeless in jersey...

Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2005, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by ChadC
Do you really think this is possible? I just bought a powerbook sunday morning and heard that afternoon, luckily before I opened it, that they were having the event on wednesday. Naturally I waited till wednesday before I opened it. Now I come home today and find this out?

I am really unhappy about the fact that there is most likely going to be an update and now I will be screwed into paying a rediculous 10% restock fee.

Anybody think I could really complain enough to get the new one without payhing the fee?
After this little time, I can't imagine they'll demand a restock fee. Ask to talk to a manager if the salescritter isn't going along with you.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
After this little time, I can't imagine they'll demand a restock fee. Ask to talk to a manager if the salescritter isn't going along with you.
If I were a store manager, I'd stand firm. I would demand the restocking fee.

Forum Links
Forum Rules