Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hands on report - Xbox 360

Hands on report - Xbox 360 (Page 7)
Steve's Sanity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Right now OSX for Intel seems to actually run BETTER on PCs than it does on current G5's.
It may not be critical to you, and I'm not saying it tells the whole story, but the Photoshop benchmarks are pretty revealing. Did you see that P4s get beaten by the mini. Do not fear the truth. The death of the Mac is inevitable. Let us morn the Macintosh and Apple Computer. Apple Media ascends. The future is a bleak place. But at least we can be sure Microsoft's gaming monopoly will remain a figment of the imagination.
What happened to Steve's sanity? He took it out with the trash. . .

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Steve's Sanity
It may not be critical to you, and I'm not saying it tells the whole story, but the Photoshop benchmarks are pretty revealing. Did you see that P4s get beaten by the mini. Do not fear the truth. The death of the Mac is inevitable. Let us morn the Macintosh and Apple Computer. Apple Media ascends. The future is a bleak place. But at least we can be sure Microsoft's gaming monopoly will remain a figment of the imagination.
As a developer with access to OS X for Intel, I can say that SWG is right on this one. Photoshop would be running under Rosetta, and Rosetta did get a massive speed boost in 10.4.3 from what I heard, and I'm assuming that the benchmarks were done under 10.4.1.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Steve's Sanity
The 360's Xbox Live is the same thing as before, with a few added features. What's next, are you going to tell me that the GCN controller was terrific because of its analog stick? The 360 is just a detour on the way to the next big thing.
Do you have a 360? Cuz it is not at all the same.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 02:22 PM

My mid-range woofer got blown in my car so I had about an hour last night while Circuit City swapped it out. There was nobody using the XBox 360 demo unit so I played COD2 for about an hour.

I give up. I'll *NEVER* get used to that game controller. My last game system was an Atari 2600, so I guess I've since gotten too used to playing games with a keyboard.

The "look up, look down" sequence is what really messed me up. I always either looked down when I wanted to look up, or the opposite (up when I wanted down). I also couldn't seem to be precise enough to shoot anything unless I was using a rocket launcher. If I took the time to fine tune the controls and aim I'd get a new hole ripped in me. (Literally in this game!) I can't imaging trying a driving game with this controller.

Do they make keyboards for the XBox? :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by driven
My mid-range woofer got blown in my car so I had about an hour last night while Circuit City swapped it out. There was nobody using the XBox 360 demo unit so I played COD2 for about an hour.

I give up. I'll *NEVER* get used to that game controller. My last game system was an Atari 2600, so I guess I've since gotten too used to playing games with a keyboard.

The "look up, look down" sequence is what really messed me up. I always either looked down when I wanted to look up, or the opposite (up when I wanted down). I also couldn't seem to be precise enough to shoot anything unless I was using a rocket launcher. If I took the time to fine tune the controls and aim I'd get a new hole ripped in me. (Literally in this game!) I can't imaging trying a driving game with this controller.

You can flip the up/down view. And the ports are USB so you can use any USB device including keyboards.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 02:28 PM

Invert your looking stick. Games today are intimidating to newcomers. It's true.

Unless you have a lot of practice, you CANNOT pick up and play a console FPS. You just can't.

That's what Nintendo is banking on with the Rev. Part of me thinks they are right to a certain extent, but a bigger part of me tells me that it doesn't matter what they do anymore.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 02:30 PM

You can hook up a keyboard and mouse, but as of right now, they don't do anything.

Maybe later they will add support for them though, who knows.

I think the 360 needs a MMORPG. Can you imagine if they got WOW out for launch? That would have been a killer app,

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 02:36 PM

As others mentioned, you can invert the up/down controls so that they work however is natural for you. In FPS games I never have my control inverted (where up is down, down is up) because that screws me up. Fortunately, the game does include a training mission at the beginning where they show you all the controls and give you the option of inverting the up/down controls. Also you may not have noticed that the left trigger lets you aim more precisely and auto-aim at targets, which makes hitting your targets much easier.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2005, 02:42 PM

Options -> Invert

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2005, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
You can hook up a keyboard and mouse, but as of right now, they don't do anything.

Maybe later they will add support for them though, who knows.

I think the 360 needs a MMORPG. Can you imagine if they got WOW out for launch? That would have been a killer app,
Yes, they do. I hooked up a keyboard for text input and it worked perfectly.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 02:44 PM

Really? Interesting. But can you use it to play games?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 02:47 PM

You can hook up a keyboard and mouse, but as of right now, they don't do anything.,
I thought you can at least use it in the dashboard to enter credit card info or send text messages.

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2005, 10:49 PM

Really? Interesting. But can you use it to play games?
You've been able to do that for years; I played UT on the PS2 with a real mouse.

Edit: ok, so it's not the 360, but I can't imagine them *not* allowing you to do it

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 30, 2005, 11:51 PM

Half life for PS2 lets you use a USB keyboard and mouse also.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 12:01 AM

If I can set up a keyboard for FPS games then it *might* have a chance with me. The invert would be a great trick also!

The other thing I noticed ... the games for the XBox 360 are about $10 - $15 more than the same game on a PC platform. (COD2 for Windows $50, same store for XB360 $70!) Does it add $10 - $15 extra value? I don't know.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2005, 12:02 AM

Get used to it.

First off, not all the games are $60.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 1, 2005, 12:05 AM

Anyone remember this game?

I got it in the early 80s when I had the chicken pox.

IT WAS THE BOMB!

Wish I still had it. Or a emulator.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 12:05 AM

Nobody said that they were. I was asking if they are better on the XBox platform to justify the higher price.

Why do I have to get used to it? (Especially since I have not bought any game system ... not yet anyway).
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 02:11 PM

"Meanwhile, Microsoft says the number of faulty Xboxs is below the average for new consumer electronics products, of 3%."

Hmm, and I just happen to be i that 3%.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Get used to it.

First off, not all the games are $60.

They are actually cheaper in Canada for some reason.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 1, 2005, 02:21 PM

See, the way I look at it is this: Microsoft ****ing sucks. It is an evil company that wants to controlt he world, and it's done a lot of really shitty things and gotten away them too. It even BOUGHT OUT the one mac gaming company that was truly revolutionary, and then delayed Halo's release for a few years. Assholes. So even IF the 360 was truly better than the PS3, (which it isnt), I still wouldn't want it. Sony might be retarded in the music field, but they're light years better than M$, in my opinion.

MS can blow me, and I'll never be giving them my money.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 1, 2005, 02:22 PM

See, the way I look at it is this: Microsoft ****ing sucks. It is an evil company that wants to controlt he world, and it's done a lot of really shitty things and gotten away them too. It even BOUGHT OUT the one mac gaming company that was truly revolutionary, and then delayed Halo's release for a few years. Assholes. So even IF the 360 was truly better than the PS3, (which it isnt), I still wouldn't want it. Sony might be retarded in the music field, but they're light years better than M$, in my opinion.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned

ort888
Addicted to MacNN

First party games (Kameo, PGR3 and PD0) are $50. All other games will be $60.

The 360 is a good system (so far) but Microsoft is really nickel and diming us to death with it. From the goofy core/premium debacle, the $50 controllers (yes, $50 controllers), having to pay money to download things like themes and pictures, and finally with $60 games.

This generation of games is off to an expensive start.

I'm actually most annoyed by the $50 controllers. That is simply ridiculous. The charge and play kit adds another $20 as well.

The cost of having 4 controllers with charge kits is $214 dollars. (one controller with the system = FREE, Three controllers @ $50 each = $150, 2 play and charge kits @ $20 = $40, 2 battery packs @ $12 = $24)

That is nuts. More then twice the cost of getting 4 controllers on any past system.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 1, 2005, 02:27 PM

Wow. That is insane. Somebody said hte PS3 is going to cost $450, but man... if Xbox controllers are $50 each, sheesh. PS3 is looking better and better all the time.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
Wow. That is insane. Somebody said hte PS3 is going to cost $450, but man... if Xbox controllers are $50 each, sheesh. PS3 is looking better and better all the time.
You honestly think the PS3 will have cheaper controller? EVEN IF they are $10 cheaper is this worth choosing a system over?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2005, 02:33 PM

First party games (Kameo, PGR3 and PD0) are $50. All other games will be $60.

The 360 is a good system (so far) but Microsoft is really nickel and diming us to death with it. From the goofy core/premium debacle, the $50 controllers (yes, $50 controllers), having to pay money to download things like themes and pictures, and finally with $60 games.

This generation of games is off to an expensive start.

I'm actually most annoyed by the $50 controllers. That is simply ridiculous. The charge and play kit adds another $20 as well.

The cost of having 4 controllers with charge kits is $214 dollars. (one controller with the system = FREE, Three controllers @ $50 each = $150, 2 play and charge kits @ $20 = $40, 2 battery packs @ $12 = $24)

That is nuts. More then twice the cost of getting 4 controllers on any past system.

Wavebirds are $40 and do less. Why the complaint?

How is MS dickel and diming us? You want to play FF XI on a PS2? You have to get a hard drive. In fact, you got nothing BUT the hard drive, no content, nothing. Where do you want MS to put the emulator?

I paid the whopping 60cents for my Giants badge.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 02:33 PM

I own TONS of sony stuff and they are just as stupid in every department. You just don't care as much because they haven't stepped on your toes in terms of computers.

I had to fight with my retailer to order my sony TV for me as they don't like dealing with sony as they have poor customer support and are very egotistical and love to for proprietary junk.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 02:45 PM

Wavebirds are $35.

It's not the end of the world or anything, it's just annoying. I really am surprised that more people aren't mentioning it. A 20% price jump in controllers is pretty drastic.

Even if it is the Best Controller ever.

I have a feeling that Sony is watching this very closely. Seeing as how no one has made a fuss over the $50 Xbox controllers, you can bet your ass that Sony will charge the exact same amount. The Revolution controllers will probably be similar in price as well.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 02:45 PM

Wavebirds are $35.

It's not the end of the world or anything, it's just annoying. I really am surprised that more people aren't mentioning it. A 20% price jump in controllers is pretty drastic.

Even if it is the Best Controller ever.

I have a feeling that Sony is watching this very closely. Seeing as how no one has made a fuss over the $50 Xbox controllers, you can bet your ass that Sony will charge the exact same amount. The Revolution controllers will probably be similar in price as well.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 02:56 PM

Wavebirds are $35.
The reason I never got one... no rumble.

To me rumble is better than wireless.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 03:09 PM

Yeah, the no rumble thing was annoying, but I'll take wireless over rumble any day. Wired controllers suck. I do have to say, that the 360 controller is in fact, the best controller ever. It feels solid, is comfortable, has great analog sticks and no more annoying placement of the B+W buttons. Being able to turn your system on and off with it kicks ass as well.

Anyway, someday my kids are going to laugh at wired controllers. I can't wait to pull out my Atari and NES to play with my kids. How cool will that be? It will probably look as archaic as a cave drawing to them.

ink
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 04:33 PM

The 360 is a good system (so far) but Microsoft is really nickel and diming us to death with it.
Well duh, they lost [dr evil]a billion dollars[/dr evil] on the XBox, and they've promised that 360 would not be a drain on the company anymore. I would expect to see "bundled systems" with less nickel-and-diming after the early adopter phase is over (~ 6 months), and they've milked the must-have-the-latest crowd for all they're worth.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 07:09 PM

I don't expect the prices to drop for a long time.

It's just kind of funny. They really are pricing their product out of the range of a large chunk of consumers. $399 is a lot for a kid to save up for and a lot for parents to buy. My parents would have never in a million years bought me a $399 video game system. I had to save up to buy every single one of my consoles. If I was 12, and wanted an Xbox 360, I would be SOL. It just would have never happened.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ink
Well duh, they lost [dr evil]a billion dollars[/dr evil] on the XBox, and they've promised that 360 would not be a drain on the company anymore. I would expect to see "bundled systems" with less nickel-and-diming after the early adopter phase is over (~ 6 months), and they've milked the must-have-the-latest crowd for all they're worth.

I really don't care if MS loses another 20 billion on the Xbox, that will just make em work harder and harder and use the consumers win! Does MS making money make the games better? No.

MS has bottomless pockets.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2005, 07:51 PM

It's just kind of funny. They really are pricing their product out of the range of a large chunk of consumers. $399 is a lot for a kid to save up for and a lot for parents to buy. My parents would have never in a million years bought me a $399 video game system. I had to save up to buy every single one of my consoles. If I was 12, and wanted an Xbox 360, I would be SOL. It just would have never happened.
$129 was a lot for the Atari 2600 in 1979, but lots of kids got theirs.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 10:18 PM

Sony is really not so different. At least Microsoft is fixing defects, Sony made me pay to get my PSX fixed for the skipping FMV problem, and it was their own fault.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 1, 2005, 11:22 PM

It's just kind of funny. They really are pricing their product out of the range of a large chunk of consumers
The average age of a 'gamer' is 35. Not 12. They aren't marketing the 360 or PS3 towards children, because children don't have money. Besides, mommy and daddy won't buy a violent system for their kids anyway, they'll buy something with kiddie games like nintendo whatever.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 1, 2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
Sony is really not so different. At least Microsoft is fixing defects, Sony made me pay to get my PSX fixed for the skipping FMV problem, and it was their own fault.
How was it sony's fault? My PS2 works fine.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2005, 01:27 AM

I've read that the average gamer is 30, but that number includes PC gamers which is an older crowd.

At any rate, it doesn't matter, because at least 75% of male children are somewhat into video games. They might not buy them at the same rate as someone older, but they definitely play them. And kids like what older kids like. I'm sure most kids would rather play Halo then Harry Potter.

All I'm saying is that gaming is a very expensive hobby right now.As an adult, it really doesn't hold me back, but if I was a kid... or a parent, it might be a more severe case of sticker shock.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2005, 02:50 AM

"No one developer had admitted to tapping more than 50% of the Xbox 360's hardware power, which means gamers are only going to get better from here. Games will only get bigger, better and prettier."
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/673/673188p1.html

Sweeet!

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 2, 2005, 02:51 AM

PS3 is still more powerful. **** MS in the ass. Have fun with your dreamcast.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2005, 02:52 AM

PS3 is still more powerful. **** MS in the ass. Have fun with your dreamcast.
I did, buy buying an Xbox they lost over $150.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 2, 2005, 03:03 AM

You're supporting their success actually. To succeed they don't need to make any money. Like you said yourself, they have limitless pocketbooks, they could afford to put an Xbox in every home in America really. The only way they succeed is buy getting you to own one. And you do. You are doing exactly what they want you to. You are helping them succeed.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2005, 03:06 AM

You're supporting their success actually. To succeed they don't need to make any money. Like you said yourself, they have limitless pocketbooks, they could afford to put an Xbox in every home in America really. The only way they succeed is buy getting you to own one. And you do. You are doing exactly what they want you to. You are helping them succeed.

I really don't give a **** actually. As long as I have great games. If MS made windows as good as the Xbox I'd be a windows user also.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2005, 09:16 AM

Also, I'm sick and f----g tired of the Japanese getting everything MONTHS before us. We finally get a system FIRST! Why is it that everything that comes out of Japan takes months to get here, but MS can make a console and ship it TO Japan only weeks later?

Good for MS!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2005, 07:07 PM

How was it sony's fault? My PS2 works fine.
The PSX had a well-documented hardware defect that caused FMV to skip. Required replacement of the CD-ROM drive.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Dec 2, 2005, 08:48 PM

FMV sucked anyway. >shrug<

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2005, 09:16 PM

<OFF TOPIC>

Originally Posted by Kevin
Anyone remember this game?

I got it in the early 80s when I had the chicken pox.

IT WAS THE BOMB!

Wish I still had it. Or a emulator.
Yeah, I had that. It was pretty cool. I also had Donkey Kong Jr.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2005, 09:26 PM

Someone that remembers that game other than me! Wow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules