Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 72)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
… meaning the number is fairly meaningless.
We have to wait a few more days for NPD to release its retail sales number, but I don't think anyone but goMac would seriously argue that there are hundreds of thousands of PS3s sitting on store shelves in the US right now.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
… meaning the number is fairly meaningless.
it seems yes
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 12:55 AM

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 01:03 AM

sweet!!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
The speculation about hard disk size is interesting. 20GB is not even close to being enough if you want to take advantage of Microsoft's HD video downloads, but it's not too bad if you just using it for gaming. If MS does release a system with 120GB standard (seems like overkill, but who knows?) then Sony would probably be forced to do something similar.
Not really neccesary as the PS3 has a user upgradable, standard 2.5 Inch HD. You can toss a 300 GB in there right now if you wish to.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
But the Xbox is already optimized to pump out the correct number of pixels over the component cables. I still don't understand why HDMI would make it look any better then it already does.
My Bravia 46" is still set to 1080i for XBOX360 no matter if it is already optimized for component cables or not. On big HDTV, I can tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p but for HDTV less than 40", it's barely noticeable.

I also would like to have a XBOX360 with HDMI as my component ports are full as hell and three empty HDMI ports.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2007, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Not really neccesary as the PS3 has a user upgradable, standard 2.5 Inch HD. You can toss a 300 GB in there right now if you wish to.
It uses a 2.5" drive, so I don't think 300GB is possible. [Edit: Ah, I see that Fujitsu just released a 300GB drive.] But what I am speaking of is the "arms race" between the two companies. If MS has a bigger hard disk, Sony will have to respond in kind or be thought of as being "behind."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 02:48 AM

We have to wait a few more days for NPD to release its retail sales number, but I don't think anyone but goMac would seriously argue that there are hundreds of thousands of PS3s sitting on store shelves in the US right now.
Not hundreds of thousands, but probably in the thousands.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 02:50 AM

My Best Buy has 5. I was tempted to get one, but I remembered my policy of holding off and implementing a little patience to see how the next-gen wars turn out.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Here is what I think MS should do to keep up the XBox hype.

By mid year they should start leaking something about an upgraded Xbox. Later they can announce a BLACK XBOX 360 with Built in HD-DVD, HDMI and wireless. 120 hard drive and Halo 3. They can call it the 360HD Model or something and it can also have a slightly refined design or slimmer.

ALL games will still be in DVD but this model is sleek, sexier and has the convenience of a built in HD drive.

One this will push HD-DVD more and give the 360 some renewed hype.
I disagree. I think MS should keep the HD-DVD drive a separate add-on. Although technically aligned with the HD-DVD camp, MS has no horse in this race. Sony, on the other hand, is banking on the PS3 to help Blu-Ray win. MS only made the HD-DVD add-on to give people an OPTION to get HD movie capabilities on their 360. I would imagine that most gamers don't care. In fact, I'm pretty sure MS has said that they never intend to release a 360 with a built-in HD-DVD drive.

Here's what I think they should do (6-12 months):

XBox 360 HD ($399):
HDMI output
120 GB HD
Wireless Built-In

XBox 360 ($299):
60 GB HD
Built-in wireless

Drop price of HD-DVD add-on to $149. Also, does anyone see any reason that a company could not make a Blu-Ray player add-on to the 360?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 8, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I disagree. I think MS should keep the HD-DVD drive a separate add-on. Although technically aligned with the HD-DVD camp, MS has no horse in this race.
MS helped design iHD.

Also, HD DVD seems to use MS's VC-1 codec much more often than Blu-ray (although that may change).

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
MS helped design iHD.

Also, HD DVD seems to use MS's VC-1 codec much more often than Blu-ray (although that may change).
So? How does this warrant MS including a built-in HD-DVD player in the 360? How does this preclude them from potentially offering a Blu-Ray player add-on somewhere down the line?

Just because one format uses their codec "much more" the other, does not mean that MS has to blindly throw all of its resources into backing HD-DVD.

Again, my point remains that MS has no compelling reason to include a built-in HD-DVD drive in the 360.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 11:16 AM

So? How does this warrant MS including a built-in HD-DVD player in the 360? How does this preclude them from potentially offering a Blu-Ray player add-on somewhere down the line?

Just because one format uses their codec "much more" the other, does not mean that MS has to blindly throw all of its resources into backing HD-DVD.

Again, my point remains that MS has no compelling reason to include a built-in HD-DVD drive in the 360.
No, you suggested MS has no reason. They have reasons, but they may not be compelling.

I think the biggest reason not to was cost.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 11:19 AM

I disagree. I think MS should keep the HD-DVD drive a separate add-on. Although technically aligned with the HD-DVD camp, MS has no horse in this race. Sony, on the other hand, is banking on the PS3 to help Blu-Ray win. MS only made the HD-DVD add-on to give people an OPTION to get HD movie capabilities on their 360. I would imagine that most gamers don't care. In fact, I'm pretty sure MS has said that they never intend to release a 360 with a built-in HD-DVD drive.

Here's what I think they should do (6-12 months):

XBox 360 HD ($399):
HDMI output
120 GB HD
Wireless Built-In

XBox 360 ($299):
60 GB HD
Built-in wireless

Drop price of HD-DVD add-on to $149. Also, does anyone see any reason that a company could not make a Blu-Ray player add-on to the 360?

They need to drop the price, not add features. If they can get the core pack down to the Wii's price soon, they will be in really good shape.

The problem is doing it without creating the illusion that they are backing down from Sony or that their product isn't worth the price.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 11:22 AM

the XB360 Competing with the PS3.

BLuRay DVD gives the PS3 a competitive edge over the XB360.

In order to compete Microsoft needs to either offer something comparable or better at a similar or lower pricepoint. While having an external HD-DVD drive is a "solution", it's more like a bandaid for the XB360. And when comsumers see an all-in-one device, it would be more appealing than having two seperate boxes.

If Blu-Ray wins (just like when any proprietary format wins), the companies that own the patents get to charge whatever they want when they licence it to their partners. just like it's done with windows, or quicktime, or UMD, etc...... Microsoft would rather have it's own propreitary format win, but when it doesnt have one to compete, it would rather have a standard format (HD-DVD) win. thats how the game is played.

So a built in HDDVD drive better be on the cards, cause if i was buying either console for a HD experience, i wouldnt mind pays a little extra for a built in BR-DVD drive as opposed to a clunky 2 piece system with the XB360.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I think the biggest reason not to was cost.
Agreed. its been a year since the 360 has been on the market....wouldnt it be cool if the prices stayed the same, but they got upgraded with hD-DVD drives by mid-end of this year ? they'd still loose about the same the are now, what with falling manufacturing costs.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 01:05 PM

Or they could lower the cost and widen the gap between the PS3 (which will seem even more expensive by comparison) and everyone else, rather than continuing at the same price (and same loss) so that a few people who would regularly use an HD-DVD player can get one. Unless they get big back-end funding from the HD-DVD backers, I don't see them including an HD-DVD drive built-in, especially since the ~10 million HD-DVD-less 360s already out there will continue to preclude its use for games.

"I start fires!"

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
So a built in HDDVD drive better be on the cards, cause if i was buying either console for a HD experience, i wouldnt mind pays a little extra for a built in BR-DVD drive as opposed to a clunky 2 piece system with the XB360.
i'm surprised you find the Xbox360 + HD-DVD addon clunky, i think they both look great and give the buyer more choice as separate units. i'm sure there are many who wouldn't be at all interested in integrated HD-DVD and would rather not pay extra for it

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
i'm surprised you find the Xbox360 + HD-DVD addon clunky, i think they both look great and give the buyer more choice as separate units. i'm sure there are many who wouldn't be at all interested in integrated HD-DVD and would rather not pay extra for it
The drive itself does look nice but when you look at the whole picture with the HD-DVD drive, a Xbox 360 and the monster power adapter it looks clunky. No to mention it is odd having 2 dvd readers on one system.

The PS3 is one unit with slot loading drive and built in power supply. Plus it manages to be 1/10th the volume of the 360.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 06:42 PM

The drive itself does look nice but when you look at the whole picture with the HD-DVD drive, a Xbox 360 and the monster power adapter it looks clunky. No to mention it is odd having 2 dvd readers on one system.

The PS3 is one unit with slot loading drive and built in power supply. Plus it manages to be 1/10th the volume of the 360.
the Xbox360 power supply is a monstrosity an upgrade to that would be very useful!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 06:50 PM

the XB360 Competing with the PS3.

BLuRay DVD gives the PS3 a competitive edge over the XB360.
I disagree. Microsoft has a large advantage here. They have the games.

(Speaking of which, release date for Guitar Hero II for 360 was announced today. wOOt.)
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post

(Speaking of which, release date for Guitar Hero II for 360 was announced today. wOOt.)
Games, price and online.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 07:38 PM

Yes, right now if you only want to play games the 360 is the best choice followed by the PS2 as it has an enormous library of inexpensive games and the system itself it dirt cheap and includes a cd/DVD player.

A year from now the playing field will be more even once the PS3 and Wii catch up with games.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 07:47 PM

And remember, the 360 had crappy games at launch too.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 07:51 PM

Every system pretty much does. The N64 had 3 total and even the PS1 and 2 wasn't that exciting.

The Xbox had a strong title with halo but not much else.

The PS3 has Resistance which is ok but not must have at launch.

The Wii is damn lucky it had Zelda ported.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2007, 07:57 PM

Well of course they have the games. They have a year's head start. It would be pretty strange if the Xbox 360 didn't have more and better games at this point in time. But remember that there have been a number of situations like this, with one console getting a head start on the others (ahem, Dreamcast), and the difference in their game libraries quickly became a non-issue. This is why I think the PS3's current performance is actually pretty good. If they can sell close to a million systems with this launch line-up, imagine how well they'll do when some decent games arrive.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 08:56 PM

Well of course they have the games. They have a year's head start. It would be pretty strange if the Xbox 360 didn't have more and better games at this point in time. But remember that there have been a number of situations like this, with one console getting a head start on the others (ahem, Dreamcast), and the difference in their game libraries quickly became a non-issue. This is why I think the PS3's current performance is actually pretty good. If they can sell close to a million systems with this launch line-up, imagine how well they'll do when some decent games arrive.
Yep, I'm all over Heavenly Sword and F1 Championship in March. Until then, NFS:Carbon, Resistance and Marvel Alliance.

On a side note, I got my box from MS today to send my 360 back for "repair". Took 9 days, including the New Years holiday. I'm expecting to get a refurbished back. That seems to be the norm.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 09:20 PM

The 360 had a bunch of good games. It just didn't have any AAA titles.

Call of Duty 2, Project Gotham 3, Condemned, Kameo, DOA3... it wasn't terrible.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 09:32 PM

based on reviews of the best launch games, xbox 360 definitely had a slightly stronger start than PS3 or Wii in terms of the number of great games.. but then it never had a single killer app like Zelda until Oblivion hit the shelves (DOA wasn't out at launch, ort888).
i actually think PS3 has had the weakest launch, but not by much of a margin.
none of the launches were disastrous

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The 360 had a bunch of good games. It just didn't have any AAA titles.

Call of Duty 2, Project Gotham 3, Condemned, Kameo, DOA3... it wasn't terrible.
and Condemned which is my top 10 fav. games of all time.

I have to say out of all the systems ever they did the best.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 09:33 PM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2007, 09:35 PM

Both the PS3 and Xbox 360 launch games were relatively mediocre. The Xbox 360 was the first next-gen system, though, so all of the titles were new and seemed a little more impressive than the cross-platform games that make up much of the PS3 lineup. If they released a game like Kameo or Perfect Dark Zero today, it would not get nearly as positive a reception. I do wish that the PS3-exclusive launch titles were a little better though. Genji and Untold Legends are not very good, so people who already have a 360 don't really have a lot of choices for PS3-exclusive content.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 09:49 PM

isn't that a little sensationalised? i thought i thought they were neck-on-neck in terms of actual player sales/movie sales.. last week at least..??

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 09:50 PM

and don't sony always exaggerate their figures and success?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 10:04 PM

and don't sony always exaggerate their figures and success?
Yes. They also lie. Everything you just read is "exaggerated" or a lie.

Better?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 10:24 PM

if better = realistic, then yes

I watched Gate's CES keynote...they mentioned just the opposite, but also mentioned movie sales on HD-DVD were surpassing BR-DVD. (i think that's where heard it)

Take your pick.... both companies lie through their teeth. personally, i dont care cause they can fight this war with their little foot soldiers who buy these players. when a format wins, ill but it.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 10:35 PM

if better = realistic, then yes

I watched Gate's CES keynote...they mentioned just the opposite, but also mentioned movie sales on HD-DVD were surpassing BR-DVD. (i think that's where heard it)

Take your pick.... both companies lie through their teeth. personally, i dont care cause they can fight this war with their little foot soldiers who buy these players. when a format wins, ill but it.
i agree, they both look fantastic anyway

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 11:17 PM

I finished Gears of War tonight. Finally.
What a good game.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
What a good game.
hell yes!! play it cooperatively on insane if you haven't already, highly recommended my finishing shot on insane was a Torque Bow to the base of Raam's neck, i can't remember EVER being more satisfied at the end of a game!!!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 11:43 PM

I was about to beat it co-op a half hour ago but my 360 froze.....

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 11:49 PM

Ahh.... nothing like the authentic Microsoft experience.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 11:55 PM

that sux man

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 12:04 AM

hell yes!! play it cooperatively on insane if you haven't already, highly recommended my finishing shot on insane was a Torque Bow to the base of Raam's neck, i can't remember EVER being more satisfied at the end of a game!!!
I will definitely be playing it co-op the second time through.

I agree, I haven't been this satisfied with a video game in a while. After the umpteenth attempt I finally took Raam down. No help from Dom who got himself killed, and I had to revive him. All in all, I really enjoyed the game.

-- spoiler --
Awaiting the sequel.
I wonder where the story line is going to go, and who was that "accented" lady speaking over the end of the game?

-- /spoiler --

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 12:15 AM

I will definitely be playing it co-op the second time through.

I agree, I haven't been this satisfied with a video game in a while. After the umpteenth attempt I finally took Raam down. No help from Dom who got himself killed, and I had to revive him. All in all, I really enjoyed the game.

-- spoiler --
Awaiting the sequel.
I wonder where the story line is going to go, and who was that "accented" lady speaking over the end of the game?

-- /spoiler --
the funny thing is it gets more and more enjoyable the more times you play through the campaign, the characters grow on you even more, things become familiar in a good way.. the relatively 'short' length actually works in its favor i think, i can't stop playing it.

its now my favourite action game!!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 12:19 AM

The multiplayer is so great too. I can't stop playing it.

A patch is coming out this week as well, to fix that horrible mic glitch and tone down grenade taggers. Also, two more maps later this week.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 12:24 AM

What a good game.
Not so great here... I failed miserably.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 02:01 AM

and Condemned which is my top 10 fav. games of all time.

I have to say out of all the systems ever they did the best.
The 22nd ranked XBox 360 game is in your top ten of all time?

This sort of explains your hatred for all things Nintendo.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The 22nd ranked XBox 360 game is in your top ten of all time?

This sort of explains your hatred for all things Nintendo.
Yep. I loooove condemned.

And my problem is with Nintendo recently not any prior stuff.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 02:06 AM

What a good game.
I got really bored with Gears fairly quickly. I started hating online multiplayer after playing only about ten games. I wouldn't call it overrated, because it does a lot right, but it definitely wasn't for me.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2007, 02:27 AM

I beat both Gears and Resistance last week. They're both very good games, but I think I liked Resistance a bit more. In general you seem to only face a few enemies at once in Gears, while in Resistance you can be up against 8 or 10 enemies. And it seemed like the environments in Resistance were more destructible, which I like. The way glass shatters when you shoot it is pretty impressive. Still, there are some very nice graphics in Gears, too. I haven't played multiplayer much at all, so I can't really comment on that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules