Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 87)
mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
" According to new data from Nielsen Research Group, 71-percent of all PlayStation 3 consoles are connected to some form of HDTV (either LCD, plasma or front / rear projection), while 66-percent of Xbox 360s and 65-percent of Wiis were found to be played on a high-definition set."
That study is totally innacurate because it's based on answers to questions posed to owners of game consoles about HDTVs and it's already been established that only a tiny percentage even know what "HD" is, so they could be talking about the "Huge Domino" pizzas they eat while playing or anything.
( Last edited by mrtew; Dec 21, 2007 at 04:41 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That's why people leave their standalones on, so they don't have to wait that long.

For instance, for my A2, the boot time is 27.5 seconds from power on until I get the first "HD DVD" logo on the screen, and then another 14 seconds before the disc starts to play, so total is 42 seconds.

If the machine is on with no disc, it takes over 20 seconds for playback to start from the time you press the close button. (This includes the few seconds for the tray door to close.)

If the disc is already loaded in the machine, with the machine on but stopped, it takes less than 5 seconds for playback to start.
Well, I had been leaving my A2 off when it was not in use, but this just solidifies that decision. I did some measurements, and my A2 uses only 1 Watt when off, but 37 Watts when powered on and idle (even if there was no disc in the machine). So, leaving the A2 on all the time would be like leaving a table lamp on all the time.

What also kinda surprised me is that while power usage during playback was 48 Watts, it was the same 48 Watts if I turned on the Picture-in-Picture commentary (Transformers). I would have expected the power usage to go over 50 Watts with PiP.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2007, 05:44 PM

Somebody hacked the Blu-rayDisc.com website:

Blu-ray Disc

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 06:04 PM

Somebody hacked the Blu-rayDisc.com website:

Blu-ray Disc
It looks like a solid sheet of sickening light blue construction paper. What are you seeing on your end?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2007, 06:06 PM

Select the US and it redirects to the HD-DVD site.

EDIT: Looks like they may have caught it finally. The page doesn't render now.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Dec 21, 2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Updated info)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
It looks like a solid sheet of sickening light blue construction paper. What are you seeing on your end?
They've taken down the site now, but this is what it showed:

Note the URL.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2007, 06:16 PM

Classy move, HD-DVD supporters.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2007, 06:24 PM

More Battlestar Galactica screengrabs

DVD <-- Blurry
Broadcast HD <-- Blocky
HD DVD <--

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Maybe Philips (site owner) is going red???

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Dec 21, 2007, 06:49 PM

It probably wasn't even a fan boy. I'd bet it was just somebody that did it because the hack would get a bunch more attention than most other site hacks.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Dec 21, 2007, 06:51 PM

For the Canadians, it looks like Future Shop will have $99 Toshiba HD DVD players on Boxing Day.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Montezuma58 View Post
For the Canadians, it looks like Future Shop will have $99 Toshiba HD DVD players on Boxing Day.
WOW, maybe I'll get one after all and wash my hands of this stupid lame 'war'. Just buy either red OR blue without even worrying about it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 07:30 PM

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2007, 07:42 PM

Some guy just wanna spread the love of HDDVD. I mush say Transformer is pretty freaking awesome. It's my best looking HDDVD in terms of Picture Quality.

So, bluray website just as hackable as the bluray copy protection.

Oh, another advantage of HDDVD over bluray is no region codes like those on DVD.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
So, bluray website just as hackable as the bluray copy protection.
And that comment is as original as the forum comment in that link you stole it from

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2007, 07:57 PM

I guess you missed the many posts above yours... including the one with the screengrab.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 08:05 PM

I guess you missed the many posts above yours... including the one with the screengrab.
Well duh why else would I have posted it?

Don't worry I already sent you a 1st prize ribbon and gift! (Hint, rymes with "Glo-Bay Wisk)

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2007, 08:05 PM

And that comment is as original as the forum comment in that link you stole it from
Nah, that comment is all me. No need to steal that from another forum.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Nah, that comment is all me. No need to steal that from another forum.
OMG you guys are all 13

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2007, 01:00 AM

Toshiba HD-D3 in Canada for CAD$99 on Xmas Day (or perhaps Xmas Eve), including 2 free movies.

ImageShack - Hosting :: fs1ie2.jpg

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2007, 01:25 AM

Toshiba HD-D3 in Canada for CAD$99 on Xmas Day (or perhaps Xmas Eve), including 2 free movies.

ImageShack - Hosting :: fs1ie2.jpg
Maybe the supid 'war' will backfire and everyone will end up getting two cheap players and neither format will ever really outsell the other and all the studios will be stuck making two versions of all their movies for no reason forever. Idiots.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Maybe the supid 'war' will backfire and everyone will end up getting two cheap players and neither format will ever really outsell the other and all the studios will be stuck making two versions of all their movies for no reason forever. Idiots.
Actually, if the formats become cheap enough, but remain at a stalemate, then some CE companies will simply make dual-format players for cheap, and the studios can remain exclusive to a single format.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2007, 08:21 AM

Actually, if the formats become cheap enough, but remain at a stalemate, then some CE companies will simply make dual-format players for cheap, and the studios can remain exclusive to a single format.
I don't know... I bet 5 years from now a third of houses will have dual player or both players, a third will have one or the other, and a third will have DVD (still waiting for a winner) and every studio will need to release every movie on all three formats. Every month that goes by without a victor makes it more inevitable because more and more people get dug-in to both formats and it becomes less and less easy for one format to just wither away and die. What percentage of movies are released on both formats now? If every studio was exclusive to one or the other it would be like you say, but it's going to be hard to explain to my Mom someday that (first she needs to get an HD player because it turns out that those DVD's she just bought all suck, and) she can get either of two identical formats of HD player, either of which will allow her to play 80% of all movies released but if she wants to watch one of the 20% of the movies that aren't released on whichever format she randomly chooses she'll need to buy the other. Or pay extra for a dual player now. Most people just aren't that into movies. She'll say, whatever.... "DVDs are good enough for me." or "I don't need to see any one movie that bad I'll just get whatever one you say is best." Eventually studios will realize that if you just release in one format you're sales will be 20% lower or 30% lower or whatever than if you release in both formats and they'll all be forced to release in both.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2007, 10:55 AM

Video Business: Universal claims Warner's Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix HD DVD outselling Blu-ray version

Warner Home Video’s HD DVD release of Order of the Phoenix is edging out the titles’ BD version by a 55-to-45 ratio.

Ken Graffeo, Universal executive VP of marketing and co-president of the North American HD DVD Promotional Group, acknowledges the continued, on average, BD strength over HD DVD software. But he believes it is significant that HD DVD is catching BD in terms of fourth-quarter new releases, as he believes it is a more apple to apples comparison of consumer purchasing behavior.

These new box-office hits are not normally included in the primarily catalog ‘buy one, get one free’ deals. Popular with BD studios, these BOGO deals are enticing because consumers get two titles for 50% off the original price. But there is a question of how long studios can continue to support these promotions as they bring in considerably less money than regualarly-priced titles would.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2007, 05:41 PM

w00t! I wasn't expecting my Battlestar Galactica, District B13, and Blade Runner order to arrive until next week, but Amazon.com upgraded the shipping, and Canada Post decided to deliver it on a Saturday.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2007, 11:16 PM

I haven't read any of the 87 pages (OMG) in this thread, but it seems to me that the cheaper PS3s get, the more people will buy them. Those people will buy movies and then blu-ray will win teh format wars.

< lived through the betamax wars.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2007, 11:19 PM

See, despite what the fanboys claim I am not a raving lunatic.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2007, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I haven't read any of the 87 pages (OMG) in this thread, but it seems to me that the cheaper PS3s get, the more people will buy them. Those people will buy movies and then blu-ray will win teh format wars.
Well, as many people have been saying all along... One of the keys to winning the war is cheap players.

However, right now the price of an HD DVD standalone is about half the price of a PS3.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2007, 03:20 AM

Video Business: Universal claims Warner's Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix HD DVD outselling Blu-ray version

Warner Home Video’s HD DVD release of Order of the Phoenix is edging out the titles’ BD version by a 55-to-45 ratio.

Ken Graffeo, Universal executive VP of marketing and co-president of the North American HD DVD Promotional Group, acknowledges the continued, on average, BD strength over HD DVD software. But he believes it is significant that HD DVD is catching BD in terms of fourth-quarter new releases, as he believes it is a more apple to apples comparison of consumer purchasing behavior.

These new box-office hits are not normally included in the primarily catalog ‘buy one, get one free’ deals. Popular with BD studios, these BOGO deals are enticing because consumers get two titles for 50% off the original price. But there is a question of how long studios can continue to support these promotions as they bring in considerably less money than regualarly-priced titles would.
I wonder what the total sales are including the boxed sets, though. Also why is Universal tracking Warners sales? Why hasn't Warner given the numbers themselves?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 01:50 AM

Lame. On Disk 2 of the Battlestar Galactica HD DVD box set, there is a significant lip sync problem for a minute or so. It's best seen at 55'37" on the disc (second half of the mini-series) when that guy (whom I won't name, to avoid spoilers) is in the brig. This is on my Toshiba HD-A2 and on my Xbox 360, so this is an authoring issue, and not a player issue. Other parts of the same disc are fine, as are the other discs so far.

Somebody was asleep at the wheel.

OTOH, I think the disc packaging is fine, as is the image quality. Yes, the original mini-series pilot is VERY grainy, but the HD DVDs reproduce the grain faithfully. The grain is much more muted in the series itself, which is probably because it was shot on HD video. And yes, the detail present is excellent. I can't compare it to broadcast HD since I've never seen it on TV in HD, but it's quite nice, and a humungous step up from the DVD. Anyone who appreciates this show would love the HD DVD version... except for the lip sync issue at the 55 minute mark on Disk 2.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 24, 2007 at 02:18 AM. )

alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2007, 12:04 PM

Okay, because this format was hasn't been won outright by now, I'm betting it never will be won. Given the fast pace of technology now days, it is more likely that we will have downloadable HD movies long before this stupid war is won. Then nobody wins!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 12:22 PM

I may be repeating myself here, but I don't see either HD format replacing standard def DVD as long as they're encumbered by draconian DRM schemes.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I may be repeating myself here, but I don't see either HD format replacing standard def DVD as long as they're encumbered by draconian DRM schemes.
DVD DRM is arguably worse than HD DVD's.

There is no region coding on HD DVD at this time.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 24, 2007, 01:23 PM

You think its DRM scheme has anything do with DVD's success? I don't. The average consumer doesn't even know what DRM is.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 01:25 PM

The only people that give a rat's ass about DRM are people that want to rip the discs.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 01:31 PM

DRM doesn't just affect ripping. If I'm going to buy into a disc format, I don't want to be told where I can and cannot view it. I don't want to hear about HDCP restrictions. I don't want to hear about not being able to get the output to one of my video devices because said device lacks DRM compliance. I don't want to hear about computer restrictions that require me to run some DRM encumbered OS like Vista. I want to be able to actually use what I paid for. DVD meets that requirement (although it was not originally intended to).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 01:33 PM

DRM doesn't just affect ripping. If I'm going to buy into a disc format, I don't want to be told where I can and cannot view it. I don't want to hear about HDCP restrictions. I don't want to hear about computer restrictions that require me to run some DRM encumbered OS like Vista. I want to be able to actually use what I paid for.
I don't watch movies on my computer.
I have yet to see any set-top box deny a user access to a movie.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 01:38 PM

DRM doesn't just affect ripping. If I'm going to buy into a disc format, I don't want to be told where I can and cannot view it. I don't want to hear about HDCP restrictions. I don't want to hear about not being able to get the output to one of my video devices because said device lacks DRM compliance. I don't want to hear about computer restrictions that require me to run some DRM encumbered OS like Vista. I want to be able to actually use what I paid for. DVD meets that requirement (although it was not originally intended to).
You don't need HDCP support to watch either HD DVD or Blu-ray. There is no HDCP requirement for component.

And although current discs don't support it, the Hi-Def formats have included support for Mandatory Managed Copy, something not present on DVD.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2007, 01:40 PM

You think its DRM scheme has anything do with DVD's success? I don't. The average consumer doesn't even know what DRM is.
And as long as the DRM on the new formats is unintrusive enough they still wont know. But once they try to do something with a BD/HD disc that they could do with DVD but can't now, they'll be pissed.

Playing on a computer is probably the first thing anyone would get upset about.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 01:43 PM

But Apple would invariably have to add HDCP in order to support HD-DVD or Blu-ray in OS X, right?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2007, 04:12 PM

And although current discs don't support it, the Hi-Def formats have included support for Mandatory Managed Copy, something not present on DVD.
All HD-DVD discs currently support managed copy.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
All HD-DVD discs currently support managed copy.
That is of course wrong. No managed copy mechanism has yet been implemented for either hi-def format.

But Apple would invariably have to add HDCP in order to support HD-DVD or Blu-ray in OS X, right?
Yes for DVI or HDMI, but technically no for component video output.

You can blame Apple for not implementing this, because the latest GPU models can support it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2007, 04:49 PM

That is of course wrong. No managed copy mechanism has yet been implemented for either hi-def format.
HD DVD, Blu-ray "Managed Copy" coming later this year

"According to the HD DVD Promotional Group, managed copy will be retroactive for all HD DVD discs—that is, discs sold today will work with managed copy, even though the feature is not ready yet. The same is not true for Blu-ray, however."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
HD DVD, Blu-ray "Managed Copy" coming later this year

"According to the HD DVD Promotional Group, managed copy will be retroactive for all HD DVD discs—that is, discs sold today will work with managed copy, even though the feature is not ready yet. The same is not true for Blu-ray, however."
Exactly. You can't make a copy of any HD DVD today, except illegally.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2007, 05:05 PM

Exactly. You can't make a copy of any HD DVD today, except illegally.
Right, I didn't mean the software to manage copy the discs was done. What I said was that all HD-DVD discs out today support managed copy.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 24, 2007, 05:28 PM

Will managed copy allow you to make a smaller sized copy for use on something like a portable player or is it limited to copying the movie as it is (in HD resolution)?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2007, 05:32 PM

Will managed copy allow you to make a smaller sized copy for use on something like a portable player or is it limited to copying the movie as it is (in HD resolution)?
I don't think so. The DRM behind managed copy would only stay intact with the movie in it's original context. I recall Apple pushing for this sort of thing in the Bluray committee and it got shot down by the other members.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 24, 2007, 05:48 PM

So wouldn't mean that you'd need 20-30GB of storage space per movie? Seems to me that just moving the disc from player to player would be easier.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2007, 05:51 PM

So wouldn't mean that you'd need 20-30GB of storage space per movie? Seems to me that just moving the disc from player to player would be easier.
Yeah, but with multi Terrabyte drives coming out, I doubt it will be a huge issue.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 24, 2007, 05:57 PM

Perhaps. But if my current video library was in an HD format and I wanted to make copies of it all, it would take 15-20 terabytes and (I'm guessing) several days just to physically copy the data to the hard disk. And I can't even view them on my iPod? I'm just not seeing the attraction of this feature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules