Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 9)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by starman:
I'm married with 2 kids. If I can find time to play games, then why the hell can't you? You obviously have free time or you wouldn't be posting here, WOULD YOU?

That's what YOU don't get.

Mike
So lemme get this straight... you want a portable system so you can play when you're out driving your kids around... oh wait.

Ok ok... so when your mom is driving you... oh wait...

Ummm...

When you're in bed? At work? Eating dinner?

I don't get it. Why is the PSP so much better than the PS2 for you? Where are you going to take it for online play? I really don't get it. I play games. I have a computer on my desk I play World of Warcraft on right now. I have a Gamecube tucked away in my TV desk right now I play Metroid Prime. What I don't see is where a portable for adults is going to be popular. When I am out, I'm usually busy with friends, or moving from one place to another via bus or train and am no where near WiFi. Yes the PSP is nice. But most people will probably see it as a waste of money. As I said earlier, in Sony had cut the crap features and based on less advanced hardware they would have beaten Nintendo on battery life and price, but they didn't. Instead they included features to kill portability on the device, essentially making it a unportable mini PS2. At that point, why not just buy a freakin PS2? If you're not going to be using a portable device for games, why buy the portable device?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
ridge racers for the DS is getting scathing reviews as they say with no Analog controls you can't control the car and using the touch screen to do it is impossible. The DS version also looks like it is on SNES.

The PSP version is getting high praise.

Just cuz the game doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean nobody else wants it. And yes, all the times you have spent in here you could have at least tried one game.

Also before you said people want simple games on a portable, now you are saying that the puzzle game is to simple.

Man, nobody would want you to buy their system.
The DS version looked like it was on the SNES? Wow... the SNES must have been able to render very impressive full 3D graphics. Of course... you're the one who owned an SNES, not me.

And somehow the Game Boy managed to get a lot of simple games that weren't puzzle games. Imagine that.

Starman actually makes good points. You're pretty high on entertainment value though... I doubt I'd keep coming back if you didn't stop make silly points, saying the Gamecube was near death, and that the PSP is laying smackdown to the DS right now.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by goMac:

I don't get it. Why is the PSP so much better than the PS2 for you? Where are you going to take it for online play? I really don't get it. I play games. I have a computer on my desk I play World of Warcraft on right now. I have a Gamecube tucked away in my TV desk right now I play Metroid Prime. What I don't see is where a portable for adults is going to be popular.
I can tell you for me.

I have a half hour commute on the subway each day to work. So that is 1 hour a day of play.

I am going on vacation next week and would love the PSP for the long wait at the airport and for sitting on the beach all week. Not to mention the bus ride from the airport which is 4 min. So just in the next 2 weeks there is about 12 hours of NOTHING to do while traveling.

After that I go camping a lot and would love a portable movie player not to mention something that can play my MP3's through a speaker.

Funny thing is I am not the only one.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 05:49 PM

I can tell you for me.

I have a half hour commute on the subway each day to work. So that is 1 hour a day of play.

I am going on vacation next week and would love the PSP for the long wait at the airport and for sitting on the beach all week. Not to mention the bus ride from the airport which is 4 min. So just in the next 2 weeks there is about 12 hours of NOTHING to do while traveling.

After that I go camping a lot and would love a portable movie player not to mention something that can play my MP3's through a speaker.

I love handhelds as well, but jeez, don't people read anymore? I mean really, there's NOTHING else you could be doing?

And as far as camping is concerned... bringing along a handheld is the LAST thing I'd do. I enjoy staring at the campfire or maybe cheking out the stars myself...

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2005, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by paul w:
I love handhelds as well, but jeez, don't people read anymore? I mean really, there's NOTHING else you could be doing?\
Yes I listen to music, excuse me for wanting to play games and not read, it is my time and money so I can do what I want with it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2005, 06:18 PM

I can tell you for me.

So you're going to be playing online on the subway? You're going to be playing online camping? Your battery on your PSP is going to last long enough to play all that music and those movies when your camping? Maybe playing online at the airport I can see, but wouldn't you just use a laptop then? And if the average adult was at a beach, I bet they would not be playing games.

Why is Sony including all these extra features that no one is going to use an driving up the cost? If I want to play MP3's camping, I take my iPod which actually does a good job playing MP3's with a decent battery life (although cold snowy mountains don't help).

And you can't tell me the speaker on the PSP is good for music. That is also silly.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2005, 06:23 PM

So you're going to be playing online on the subway? You're going to be playing online camping? Your battery on your PSP is going to last long enough to play all that music and those movies when your camping? Maybe playing online at the airport I can see, but wouldn't you just use a laptop then? And if the average adult was at a beach, I bet they would not be playing games.

Why is Sony including all these extra features that no one is going to use an driving up the cost? If I want to play MP3's camping, I take my iPod which actually does a good job playing MP3's with a decent battery life (although cold snowy mountains don't help).

And you can't tell me the speaker on the PSP is good for music. That is also silly.
1) I am going to play on the subway. Why does it HAVE to be online?
2) I am going to play while camping. Why does it HAVE to be online?
3) I am not taking a large $2000 laptop with games I don't like to the Caribbean no. Nor would I take one to the beach. Laptops doen't work well in sunlight. PSP's do.
4) camping the PSP will last as long as an iPod playing music. It will also play 2 DVD's before dyeing. One for the way up, charge it in the office for 2 hours, use it as much as I like during the weeks. Charge it if I have to. Then watch another movie coming down.

What features is sony adding that is brining up the cost? The wireless isn't. Sony is losing hundreds on each PSP. I don't think there is a single feature on the PSP anyone wouldn't want and could take out to save money.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2005, 07:11 PM

So lemme get this straight... you want a portable system so you can play when you're out driving your kids around... oh wait.

Ok ok... so when your mom is driving you... oh wait...

Ummm...

When you're in bed? At work? Eating dinner?

I don't get it. Why is the PSP so much better than the PS2 for you? Where are you going to take it for online play? I really don't get it. I play games. I have a computer on my desk I play World of Warcraft on right now. I have a Gamecube tucked away in my TV desk right now I play Metroid Prime. What I don't see is where a portable for adults is going to be popular. When I am out, I'm usually busy with friends, or moving from one place to another via bus or train and am no where near WiFi. Yes the PSP is nice. But most people will probably see it as a waste of money. As I said earlier, in Sony had cut the crap features and based on less advanced hardware they would have beaten Nintendo on battery life and price, but they didn't. Instead they included features to kill portability on the device, essentially making it a unportable mini PS2. At that point, why not just buy a freakin PS2? If you're not going to be using a portable device for games, why buy the portable device?
Ok, for the gazillionth time because you have a learning disability:

1) Analog controls
2) Larger screen
3) Plays MP4 files. I can catch up on shows
4) Wireless internet play

When I use it:

1) When I take my daughter to karate. Lights off sometimes - can't read.
2) When I take my daughter to gymnastics
3) When I take...oh, you get the picture....

Millions of handheld games sold and you have to actually ASK when I'd use one?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 07:25 PM

Again with the name calling...

When I use it:

Given our history, I'm finding a hard way to say this without it coming across as mean. With all due respect, why wouldn't you be watching her? I'm not saying you have to fawn over her every move, but it seems like playing a handheld would be more distracting than you'd want.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2005, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Again with the name calling...

Given our history, I'm finding a hard way to say this without it coming across as mean. With all due respect, why wouldn't you be watching her? I'm not saying you have to fawn over her every move, but it seems like playing a handheld would be more distracting than you'd want.
I do, but when you watch the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again for 2 years going, yeah, you get a little bored. At least I'm THERE. Some parents dump the kids and go.

Mike

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 07:36 PM

I do, but when you watch the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again for 2 years going, yeah, you get a little bored. At least I'm THERE. Some parents dump the kids and go.
Indeed. I've taken my cousin to a few classes, so that makes sense.

So, now that we're being civil again, I have a few more questions. Since the PSP is obviously not too big for you, how do you carry it? I know it has a case, but do you hold it in your hand when going from place to place? Do you have some kind of backpack? What about the games? I assume there's some place to put them in the case?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2005, 08:10 PM

1) Analog controls
2) Larger screen
3) Plays MP4 files. I can catch up on shows
4) Wireless internet play

When I use it:

Millions of handheld games sold and you have to actually ASK when I'd use one?

Mike
Ok.... so... back to the point.

What is the point of wireless internet play, when you're going to be playing it places without wireless internet? Why should I get excited about all these things on the PSP when none of them are really relevant. The average consumer isn't going to get all that excited about video to go either, seeing as how the video to go players already on the market have failed pretty bad.

I'm saying, yes, you want one, and thats fine. What I'm here talking about is SWG's belief that this is going to own the market. I don't think it will. They're expensive, and theres a lot of extra that they didn't need to include. A lot of people are going to for the DS simply because they don't care about the extra stuff. (It only further confuses me why Sony would put on more extra stuff and increase the price more on the US release). Sony won't sell enough, as SWG nicely pointed out they are losing hundreds of dollars on them. Sony will eventually cut the PSP.

Anyway, on to SWG's as usual odd points...

1) None of the places you've listed have online play. Why is online play so freakin awesome on a handheld if you will probably never use it? Why is this such a killer feature? You're NOT going to play online. That is EXACTLY my point. If Sony was smart they would cut the crap. Even if they did still sell at a lose if they got the price point down to $100 things would be different.
2) It's kinda odd you're taking a trip to the Caribbean to play games. Even so, why is the PSP's screen so much better in the sun than a laptop?
3) The PSP lasts 5 hours playing music last I checked. Thats not nearly the same as an iPod. If you're watching movies I'm assuming you're not driving...

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 10:10 PM

Ok.... so... back to the point.

What is the point of wireless internet play, when you're going to be playing it places without wireless internet?
Oh that is a great point when the DS has wireless and NOT ONE GAME SUPPORTS INTERNET GAMING.

THE PSP has 5.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2005, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Oh that is a great point when the DS has wireless and NOT ONE GAME SUPPORTS INTERNET GAMING.

THE PSP has 5.

And the point of internet gaming on the PSP is? ( If you somehow haven't figured out thats my point)

Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 10:25 PM

And the point of internet gaming on the PSP is? ( If you somehow haven't figured out thats my point)
Playing the games that I love on the PS2 when I am not in front of a tv.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2005, 10:28 PM

Oh, for Christ's sake. When you have access to it, you use it. When you don't you don't. I mean is that the best argument you can come up with? It's like saying "why do you buy a winter coat when it's only cold 4 months out of the year?".

Mike

Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 10:38 PM

Oh, for Christ's sake. When you have access to it, you use it. When you don't you don't. I mean is that the best argument you can come up with? It's like saying "why do you buy a winter coat when it's only cold 4 months out of the year?".

Mike
Or "Why do you keep getting vaccinations for diseases you don't have"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2005, 10:40 PM

Sitting at Starbucks, the library, anywhere else that has wireless access, and playing the games you like against other people all over the world. Beats the hell out of playing against an AI any day of the week. Oh sure, I suppose a guy could whip out his Powerbook and play WoW or UT, but it's not as convenient or functional (trackpads suck when it comes to most games).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2005, 10:40 PM

Or "Why do you keep getting vaccinations for diseases you don't have"
Even better!

Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 10:49 PM

I think Apple is totally stupid for shipping computers with firewire 800 ports that 95% of people don't use

Ether you use them or you don't and the G5 will bomb because it has FW800 ports that nobody uses.

Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 10:50 PM

hey look a keyboard for the PSP:

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/productdet...aqce6he5x223r/

So that mean is the future you can possibly wirelessly: surf the web, check emails and even chat (you know the 3 most popular things to do on the internet.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2005, 10:57 PM

I think Apple is totally stupid for shipping computers with firewire 800 ports that 95% of people don't use

Ether you use them or you don't and the G5 will bomb because it has FW800 ports that nobody uses.
Not to mention having an Airport slot? I mean, WTF? Only 1 or 2 people out of 100 actually use the damned thing.

I'm sure that alone will be it's undoing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Not to mention having an Airport slot? I mean, WTF? Only 1 or 2 people out of 100 actually use the damned thing.

I'm sure that alone will be it's undoing.
You think that sucks I mean my keyboard came with the ~key on it. I don't know why anyone would give you something you don't need and drive up the cost like that!

Even worse my DVD player came with all these features like repeat/loops and 32x fast forward. I can't see any adults ever using this. They are totally in the wrong market.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 12:57 AM

You think that sucks I mean my keyboard came with the ~key on it. I don't know why anyone would give you something you don't need and drive up the cost like that!
That's not a good example. How would you type Wal~Mart w/out it? Or more likely, CMD~ to cycle through windows. Or really cool ASCII art.
I'd agree if you said the help key or the extra delete key though.

Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 01:00 AM

Sony's Playstation Portable is the top UK gadget for 2005, according to a round-up of ultimate gizmos compiled by Stuff Magazine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4312275.stm

Cuz adults don't play games and the wireless is something you don't need.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2005, 01:07 AM

Sony's Playstation Portable is the top UK gadget for 2005, according to a round-up of ultimate gizmos compiled by Stuff Magazine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4312275.stm

Cuz adults don't play games and the wireless is something you don't need.
I already posted that ^^

Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 01:15 AM

What blows my mind and could have help the DS survive the upcoming PSP is that it has wireless and a chat app but you can only chat with people within 30 feet?

Who the heck will be within 30 feet of someone and not talk outloud to them? Some people say it is good for class but what teacher in their right mind would let ANY student send text chats to someone else in the room?

What they should have done is made the chat app work though the internet using MSN, AOL or even Nintendo's own service. MSN would have done it for free for sure.

Since teens (the DS market apearently) most used app is chat they would have cleaned up. Imagine having a $150 device that you can email and chat with your friends with! I know the PSP will do something smart like this. At the least they will make websites you can connect to to get PSP game information or demos.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2005, 01:22 AM

The intro to the PSP game preview section of this month's "Play" magazine:

From the glorious high-res screen to the ingenious thumbstick, everything about Sony's PSP handheld game system screams cutting-edge. This is no kid's toy; it's what the world will recognize as an astounding piece of portable electronic equipment. With the March 24 release date just around the corner, publishers are lining up with amazing new games to show off the PSPS's power. The titles on the following pages represent the games that may redefine the handheld experience during the PSP's launch window and the months to follow.
There. Beat that, Nintendogs.

If that doesn't shut everyone else up, I don't know what will. I have yet to read ANYTHING about the DS that had as much emotion behind it.

Mike

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 02:36 AM

The intro to the PSP game preview section of this month's "Play" magazine:

There. Beat that, Nintendogs.

If that doesn't shut everyone else up, I don't know what will. I have yet to read ANYTHING about the DS that had as much emotion behind it.

Mike
Did you expect Sony's whore to say anything else? For gods sake the best thing they could say it has was a freaking thumb stick.

I think the very people that won't buy a DS won't buy a PSP either for two reasons: price and unneeded features. These people will adopt smaller, simpler, cheaper, portables like the GBA SP and with luck the next generation of GBAs.

Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
For gods sake the best thing they could say it has was a freaking thumb stick.
Ya that is the best thing about the PSP

At any rate it is reason alone not to get a DS.

And for the 100th time, Sony is not after the younger DS market but analyst think the younger crowd will want it because the older crowd is all over it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2005, 02:54 AM

Did you expect Sony's whore to say anything else? For gods sake the best thing they could say it has was a freaking thumb stick.
You forgot the "high-res screen".

Have you actually TRIED to play Super Mario DS or Ridge Racer with a D-Pad?

Mike

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 03:14 AM

Ya that is the best thing about the PSP

At any rate it is reason alone not to get a DS.

And for the 100th time, Sony is not after the younger DS market but analyst think the younger crowd will want it because the older crowd is all over it.

See, you're so negative. No thumb stick is hardly a reason not to get a DS.

The thing is most analysts already have their heads half-way up their asses to begin with so pardon me if I take their credibility at face value. The thing about the over 21 crowd is they'll either buy both systems or buy one of the two. Now you can bet that the former group will be larger and that the second, having grown up with nintendo, will buy the DS for that reason alone.

Plus already owning the adult market with thousands of DS compatible games is sure to sway people from buying one with only a few titles.

Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 03:14 AM

Mike
I tried Mario, it was such a step back which is ironic as Nintendo thinks the DS is fixing whatever is wrong with the current controls.

From what I have heard about ridge it is a total disaster on the DS as it is impossible to control with either the touch screen or the digital pad. Plus it looks like ****.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 03:15 AM

Mike
Oh dear me. It has a hi-res screen, wow.

Maybe you just have small child-like thumbs suited to a thumb stick.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 03:17 AM

I tried Mario, it was such a step back which is ironic as Nintendo thinks the DS is fixing whatever is wrong with the current controls.

From what I have heard about ridge it is a total disaster on the DS as it is impossible to control with either the touch screen or the digital pad. Plus it looks like ****.
It takes time to adjust to a new control. Even you must realize this.

From what you hear? From whom?

Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 03:28 AM

It takes time to adjust to a new control. Even you must realize this.

From what you hear? From whom?
Time to adjust to something that is a step back and cribbled? Should I also learn how to play with one hand?

Find me ONE positive reviews on the controls for that game on the DS.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 04:09 AM

Time to adjust to something that is a step back and cribbled? Should I also learn how to play with one hand?

Its a d-pad (and stylus), so yes get used to it. The rest of the universe has lived with it I think you can too.

I don't see how the implementation is a reflection on the control.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 07:42 AM

I already posted that ^^
I know you're on his "side," but you must realize by now that he rarely pays attention. He sees what he wants to see.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 12:12 PM

Oh dear me. It has a hi-res screen, wow.
Ya you know the screen, the one part of the device nobody cares about or uses. Personally I would have liked it better if it had a screen the size of a postage stamp as it would be just as good. Or even better not backlight.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 12:12 PM

I'm still waiting for a positive review on that game.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 12:26 PM

I'm still waiting for a positive review on that game.
Am I your bitch now? Go find it yourself.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 12:32 PM

Am I your bitch now? Go find it yourself.
I did. the ones I mentioned you don't wike

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 12:46 PM

I did. the ones I mentioned you don't wike

I don't recall you linking to a good review of that game.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 12:51 PM

I don't recall you linking to a good review of that game.
That is because one does not exsist. You are telling us it is just a learning curve to get over but the reviews seem to think otherwise.

I'll be happy to post reality for you though.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 01:08 PM

"While it's certainly a competent racing game, Ridge Racer DS's awkward driving and collision models feel very dated by today's standards.

The game uses most of the bottom screen to display a steering wheel, and the idea is that you move left and right on this screen to steer. While the thought of true analog control is a nice one here, the results are sketchy. You don't really have time to concentrate on the steering wheel graphic or anything else on the bottom screen, so you're sort of left hoping that you're steering properly. Given all these caveats, the game's D pad support is the best way to go"

http://reviews.cnet.com/Ridge_Racer_...2.html?tag=tab

"Unfortunately, it's now clear that a good portion of the titles created for the DS will merely take advantage of the fact that the system is capable of playing the types of games made popular in the 32- and 64-bit eras. Sure, these titles will use the second screen or stylus-based control in some way to validate the game's existence. But I have a feeling that these knee-jerk implementations of the technology may hinder gameplay rather than improve it in some cases. Ridge Racer DS is a perfect example: it's a capable 3D arcade racer with a couple wacky attempts at touch screen-based analog control which invalidate the necessity for the second screen when not in use.

"Expert" setting is configured to be tackled using the DS's wrist strap/thumb nub, while "Hard" is built for the stylus. While not impossible to use, both settings will require a fair bit of practice to master, and will likely leave you with a very tired pair of hands in the process. Both require the player to rotate a steering wheel on the bottom screen using his or her implement of choice. While both schemes are fun to experiment with, neither offers as much precision as an analog stick or D-pad. I repeat: substantial training will be necessary to navigate Ridge Racer DS's courses with either of these two settings."

http://gba.gamespy.com/nintendo-ds/r.../571557p1.html

"The biggest "change" that this version of Ridge Racer brings to the game design is its control structure that's set up on one of three ways, labeled "easy," "hard," and "expert," though their namesakes are easily debatable. "Easy" is attached to D-pad, which brings the DS game back to the days of the PlayStation One's digital steering; certainly controllable, but there's far too much "tap-tap-tap" overcorrecting while trying to pass opponents and take basic turns. "Hard" is the game's "pain in the ass" mode of using a stylus for steering, and is clearly the least favorite control mode of nearly everyone that grabs a hold of the system. Tapping a steering wheel with an extended pencil isn't really an intuitive way of controlling a vehicle.

And then, there's "expert mode." This is truly the way to play Ridge Racer 64, and it's another game that puts Nintendo's downplayed "Thumb Strap" to use for control. In this mode, the game recognizes left and right touch motion anywhere on the screen, similar to the way Nintendo pulled off Super Mario 64 DS's "touch mode" analog stick emulator. This control works extremely well once the initial learning curve is met -- since the screen offers virtually no tactile feedback, you'll have to "use the force" so to speak to recognize the points on the screen where your thumb meets the absolute right and left of the steering wheel's rotation. It's very "floaty" to play this way, no question. But racing games almost require some sort of analog control nowadays, and without an analog stick on the system this is the best it can do. Like Super Mario 64 DS it's a compromise that works, though NST should have offered a bit more user-controlled sensitivity -- smaller thumbs may have a problem sliding across the entire distance of the screen that's required for a full left-to-right movement."

http://ds.ign.com/articles/569/569969p2.html

"The game uses most of the bottom screen to display a steering wheel, and the idea is that you move left and right on this screen to steer. While the thought of true analog control is a nice one here, the results are sketchy. You don't really have time to concentrate on the steering wheel graphic or anything else on the bottom screen, so you're sort of left hoping that you're steering properly. Given all these caveats, the game's D pad support is the best way to go."

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/driving/r...ds/review.html

THIS IS NOT A BAD GAME IN ITSELF. IT IS ON BAD HARDWARE THAT MAKE THE CONTROLS IMPOSSIBLE TO USE.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 03:55 PM

http://www.planetgamecube.com/review...profile&id=567

"Sure, it looked promising from the first screenshots. Using the touch screen to steer your car seemed like a really cool idea, since it would make a suitable replacement for the analog stick the DS doesn't have. Unfortunately, this is not the case at all. The two touch screen steering options both have their own set of problems. The first choice, appropriately called Hard Play, uses the stylus. To go straight, you either do not touch the screen, or touch the stylus against the dead center of the screen's x-axis. If you move to the left or right just the slightest bit, you will turn in that direction. If you reset your stylus off-center, you will turn as severely to the side in proportion to how far from center you missed. Dragging the stylus back and forth happens a lot, since there are a lot of twisty sections, but since you really don't have a solid reference point for where the center is, you will find that when you think you've returned to center, you are in fact off to the side, and therefore are not going straight. On top of that, the button mapping is a little dumb, in where you must hit X for gas and B for brake, which translates to up and down on the D-Pad side. This means you can't press both buttons at the same time without accidently shifting (A to shift up, Y to shift down), a must for expert drifting.

Expert Play is the thumbstrap option. Instead of relying on the center of the screen for straight ahead, wherever you place your thumb will be considered the center point. New problems arise from trying to steer a car in this fashion. For one, if your thumb was put on the touch screen too close to the left side, you won't be able to slide your thumb over to the left far enough without running out of space, and therefore will understeer into a wall around some of the tight left turns. The problem with no solid center point reference is much worse when using your thumb, as the length your thumb needs to travel to fully turn a direction gets cut in half. If you were off a little bit from center with the stylus and gently veered into a wall, being slightly off-center with the thumb pad will make you slam into the wall instead. The button mapping is worse in this mode, as you can only use the action buttons to go and stop, shafting left-handed people. Both the touch screen modes completely neglect the L and R buttons, which could have been used for acceleration, shifting, or anything."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2005, 07:46 PM

You know... I found Ridge Racer enjoyable on the DS, and I didn't even use the touch screen at all. Fancy that.

Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 08:05 PM

You know... I found Ridge Racer enjoyable on the DS, and I didn't even use the touch screen at all. Fancy that.
Wow, so all the reviews are wrong and you are right than

Here is something else interesting from the Nintendo fanboy site:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/editor...profile&id=151

"Four months into the life of the Nintendo DS, and one month before the launch of the competing PSP system from Sony, I�m going to go out on a limb here: touch input sucks for video games. Or at the very least, it�s being poorly utilized in the first generation of Nintendo DS games, and we�ve seen very little on the horizon to give hope that developers are maturing in their approach to the feature. Current and upcoming DS games can be put into a few loose groups based on their use of the touch screen:

a) The touch screen is not used at all.
b) The touch screen is optional or is used for minor features.
c) The touch screen is the primary method of control.

But for the most part, I�m not convinced that the touch screen offers anything useful to the DS that couldn�t be done (and probably better) with an analog joystick. The obvious uses for touch sensitivity in gaming, like anything involving drawing, are proving to be less than compelling, for the reasons outlined above. "

Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 08:21 PM

Sony just launched the US PSP site:

http://www.us.playstation.com/aboutpsp/aboutpsp.aspx

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 08:38 PM

THIS IS NOT A BAD GAME IN ITSELF. IT IS ON BAD HARDWARE THAT MAKE THE CONTROLS IMPOSSIBLE TO USE.
All those complaints have to do with the implementation. In fact those are all positive and they all mention it takes time to adjust to.

A truly good game should be easy to play regardless of the control mechanism.

I'd also like to point out that a false statement in all caps is still a false statement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules