Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 9)
dale
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2006, 02:45 PM

Can' beleive it was 10 years ago - but you are correct. I bought mine after it had been out about 18 months (so I could practise to beat a friend who already owned one).

I stopped playing games about a year after I met the woman who is now my wife, and even then I was only playing after returning from a bar, late with friends. I would never sit there on my own playing (well very infrequently).

To me games are only something I play with friends, and I did have the rare opportunity to see some friends from back home last weekend. They ARE into games and I spent 3 hours on a 360, trying (and failing miserably) to beat my friend at a soccor game. Do you think I am over comeptitive? - It was a laugh though!!

I have not thought about buying another console because competition is always one sided when you have non-gaming friends (most of which are) round to play, and they lose interest fast.

This new nintendo apppeals because the controller looks easy to use - making use of natural motion - If you can play the real version of tennis and golf, of course! Plus when friends are slightly well "oiled" after returning from the bar/pubs, intricate key press sequences are not going to happen conciously!

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 05:31 PM

dale, though it seems you are even more of a "casual" gamer than I, I am by no means a hardcore gamer either, and I want a Wii for the same reasons as you-- I want to have my friends play when they come over and just have a good old time.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
dale, though it seems you are even more of a "casual" gamer than I, I am by no means a hardcore gamer either, and I want a Wii for the same reasons as you-- I want to have my friends play when they come over and just have a good old time.
If that is your plan you're gonna have to bone up a lot of cash for all those controllers putting it on the same level as the Xbox/PS3.

If $500 is worth it to entertain friends go nuts but "casual gamer" and $500 game console sounds like an Oxymoron.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
If that is your plan you're gonna have to bone up a lot of cash for all those controllers putting it on the same level as the Xbox/PS3.

If $500 is worth it to entertain friends go nuts but "casual gamer" and $500 game console sounds like an Oxymoron.
Casual gamers don't play online, they play in the same room as each other.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2006, 08:55 PM

Minor point, but a Wii and 3 extra remotes would be $410, not $500. Most of the "party" games seem to be using just the Wii remotes. Not to mention that if you have friends coming over often to play Video games, they are likely to own a Wii themselves.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 09:07 PM

This Wii price comparison bologna is nothing more than fanboy FUD.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
Minor point, but a Wii and 3 extra remotes would be $410, not $500. Most of the "party" games seem to be using just the Wii remotes. Not to mention that if you have friends coming over often to play Video games, they are likely to own a Wii themselves.
Exactly. At least two of my friends told me they're going to get Wiis, so that's two less controllers I'll need to have. So that brings it down to what?-- $60 for an extra Wii-mote and numchuck if I want to have an extra lying around?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Casual gamers don't play online, they play in the same room as each other.
So what you're saying is the 3 extra controllers are free?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
Well $410 is $10 more than a a high end $360 and unless you just want to play Wii Sports you better factor in a $50-60 game.

So once again, you got a $500 party system.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 01:09 AM

You mean teh Wii gamez r sold sepretly but teh xbox games iz free??? OH NOES!!! What was Nintendo thinking??? *cries*

Good grief. You have to be fooling yourself, because you aren't fooling me.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
You mean teh Wii gamez r sold sepretly but teh xbox games iz free??? OH NOES!!! What was Nintendo thinking??? *cries*

Good grief. You have to be fooling yourself, because you aren't fooling me.
You're missing the point. Minues the game a Wii with 4 controllers is more than an Xbox.

If you rather have the Wii for that money or an xbox is your choice but you can't say "casual gamer" and "I dropped $500 to play with friends from time to time".

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
You're missing the point. Minues the game a Wii with 4 controllers is more than an Xbox.

If you rather have the Wii for that money or an xbox is your choice but you can't say "casual gamer" and "I dropped $500 to play with friends from time to time".
It's quite possible to have friends over to play and only have two controllers. I know it must seem a fantastic concept for people to take turns, but it does happen.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 02:55 AM

For someone who just wants something for their drunk friends to play once in a while, a last-gen system with 4 controllers would be better. It's a lot cheaper (which is good if they throw up on it or something) and there's a much better selection of games. But "casual gamer" doesn't necessarily mean "cheap gamer."

In any case, if you want to have a next-gen system with 4 controllers, the Wii is still the cheapest option. That shouldn't be in dispute.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
This is simply not true. The Wii still costs less than an XBox even with three additional Wii Remotes and Nunchuks. Does it greatly increase the price? Yes. But, I personally plan on getting just one extra pair of these and a Classic controller. That makes it out to be a little less than $350 for me, which is fine, considering the prices of other systems without extra controllers.

So I'll have a Wii with an extra two-piece controller set, a Classic Controller and a game for the bare starting price of an XBox Core.

Here's a handy Wii Calculator

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
This is simply not true. The Wii still costs less than an XBox even with three additional Wii Remotes and Nunchuks.
According to your calculator, a Wii with 3 controllers and nunchuks (no classic shell) is $30 more than an Xbox.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 05:47 AM

Hmmm...so let me get this straight ....

1 Wii console + 3 extra Wii-motes&nunchucks + game

costs more than....

1 basic XBox 360 + 3 wireless XBox controllers + game?

Wow Nintendo sure screwed up with prices !!

I guess my math sure is rusty..... so how exactly do i get an XBox360+3Wireless controllers+game for less than a Wii+3wiimotes+3nunchucks+game for a 'party' gaming experience ?

Cause if you can show me that the XB360 bundle above is cheaper than the Wii bundle. i recommend that everyone looking for a party-gaming-console get an XB360 over the Wii today.

Cheers

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 10:36 AM

You're forgetting that for the xbox the party is online. xbox users don't need extra controllers which Wii users will. The Wii won't work without them. Haven't you heard?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 10:59 AM

The party is online? My friends COME OVER all the time, and my house is where we all play (Currently Gamecube Games and all my older systems) I don't think I have ANY friends that play online games besides WoW and Mario Kart DS

If your not playing WITH people, the Wii is obviously not for you unless you want to play Wii only games or just have some fun, but the real fun AFAICS is multi-player games.

XBOX 360 plus 4 wireless controllers: $495
Wii plus 3 WiiMotes: $369

SAVINGS: $126 which will buy 3 nuncuchs and a game or a few games or something else...

1) You need 4 wireless controllers for the 360 cause who wants to play with a wired one? I don't know how big your living/game room is but we all sit 10-15 feet back and the wired ones are usually short.
2) Forget games, those are needed for either system unless MS is giving away games?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 11:01 AM

You're forgetting that for the xbox the party is online. xbox users don't need extra controllers which Wii users will. The Wii won't work without them. Haven't you heard?
Er, what? First of all, Xbox live costs $7.99 a month (and the Wii will have some sort of online service that will apparently be free, although not as fully featured as Xbox Live). Secondly, how does having online play help you when you have friends over?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 11:03 AM

Sweet, all Wii need to spend is $299 x 3 and Wii can all play together online! Great Idea.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:12 AM

So all ill need are 4 XBoxes...cool. so im guessing that 4 XBox360s are cheaper than 1Wii+3controllers+game ?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise View Post
how does having online play help you when you have friends over?
what is "friend" ?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 11:14 AM

Alright, back to some Wii discussion...

What kind of support is there for my Gamecube controllers? I have 4 Wavebirds and 3 wired, I know the wii has slots but it didn't look like they fit the Wavebird, anyone know?

EDIT:

"Looks to me like Wave Bird receivers will fit just fine in the GCN docking station's controller ports on the Wii hardware. I opened the flap and had a look. It's perfectly flat, so there shouldn't be any problems."
SR388 Sanctuary - Wii Stuff

So I guess my only question is what kind of support can I expect from games using the Wavebirds?

I have plenty of them so I will get 2 wiimotes to start with and use the others for now.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Hmmm...so let me get this straight ....

1 Wii console + 3 extra Wii-motes&nunchucks + game

costs more than....

1 basic XBox 360 + 3 wireless XBox controllers
Wireless controllers are not necessary to play games on the Xbox. Now you're comparing necessity to luxury.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Wireless controllers are not necessary to play games on the Xbox. Now you're comparing necessity to luxury.
Apples to apples?

Why not just get 3 gamecube controllers for $10? and use those with the Wii?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Apples to apples?

Why not just get 3 gamecube controllers for $10? and use those with the Wii?
You can't use those with Wii games.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:51 AM

Cube flashback! Japan is getting a Wii that plays DVDs:

Japan to get Wii with DVD player // GamesIndustry.biz

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:53 AM

This is starting to get laughable.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
This is starting to get laughable.
And Nintendo said "White only" but by next year I bet you a Wii they come in black and pink

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 11:59 AM

And Nintendo said "White only" but by next year I bet you a Wii they come in black and pink
I bought a limited edition platinum gamecube because I was silly enough to think it might be just that.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 12:13 PM

You're forgetting that for the xbox the party is online.
Apples to oranges: when people "gather" online they do it in different ways and for different reasons than actual parties. It's a different market, and not one Nintendo seems to be trying to target.
xbox users don't need extra controllers which Wii users will.
No, but they'll each need their own Xbox. Which is less expensive: 1 Wii and three extra controllers, or 4 Xboxes?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 12:16 PM

Yeah Dakar dude, you got totally screwed over by Nintendo. If i were you id learn from your mistakes and never buy a Nintendo branded product ever again.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
No, but they'll each need their own Xbox. Which is less expensive: 1 Wii and three extra controllers, or 4 Xboxes?
Ugh. Apples to oranges again. Which one is more useful to a single person when not being used for multiplayer? An extra controller or the xbox system?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Yeah Dakar dude, you got totally screwed over by Nintendo. If i were you id learn from your mistakes and never buy a Nintendo branded product ever again.
Ok, why the sarcasm?

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Ok, why the sarcasm?
You have to ask? That's all he knows how to do.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 12:59 PM

Well, I wanna hear him defend his statement.

I may not love Nintendo, but I'm no longer fond of Sony, and have never been a fan of Microsoft.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 01:02 PM

Apples to oranges: when people "gather" online they do it in different ways and for different reasons than actual parties. It's a different market, and not one Nintendo seems to be trying to target.

1 Xbox and your friends are responsible for their own damn Xbox's. Get a wii and you are spending another $60 a head for anyone you want to play with you at your joint.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 01:06 PM

I'm not getting a PS3 this year unless it fall in my lap. I don't care THAT much about any launch games and I really just want the Blu-ray player.

Next year for sure though as there are some cool games coming.

I have a 360 and been enjoying the next gen systems for a year now. There is more coming for Xbox than I am excited about for Wii and PS3 put together.

In terms of the wii, if the stores have tons of them and the sensor bar works the way I expect it to then I might get it just so I can get rid of the stupid cube and play Zelda in widescreen.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 01:15 PM

Cube flashback! Japan is getting a Wii that plays DVDs:

Japan to get Wii with DVD player // GamesIndustry.biz
Does anyone actually care about this? I'm not saying that DVD playback wouldn't be an OK option to have, but I've never used my game systems to watch DVDs. Plus, they practically give away DVD players in cereal boxes now, and the vast majority of people who are going to have a Wii will already have a DVD player right next to it. Maybe it makes sense in Japan where space really is at a premium for many people.
( Last edited by icruise; Oct 31, 2006 at 02:08 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 01:18 PM

This video showing some of the Wii interface was kind of interesting. The Wiimote seems to be pretty precise.

IGN previews Wii's interface menu system - Joystiq

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
You can't use those with Wii games.
Right... Well wrong actually, you can use them with some games, while others are just limited or don't work at all, I asked that question here, but did some research and that is the best I have found, I guess time will tell, I can't wait for the real world reviews...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 02:13 PM

Well that seals it, the Wii is a gamecube 1.5 as Ars has found it is the same chip used in the Cube just smaller, cooler and overclocked.

Wii's Brain a Faster, Cooler GameCube Brain - Kotaku

So if you didn't like the graphics on the cube they ain't gonna be much better on the Wii.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 02:17 PM

Hey, on the bright side how will Nintendo not be around for another generation? Sounds like they're raping us on the Wii.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 02:17 PM

How is that a 1.5? Wasn't the Gamecube like 450MHz?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 02:25 PM

Well that seals it, the Wii is a gamecube 1.5 as Ars has found it is the same chip used in the Cube just smaller, cooler and overclocked.

Wii's Brain a Faster, Cooler GameCube Brain - Kotaku
Um... so it's the same architecture with a better chip. So what? Upgrades to your average PC or Mac do much the same thing, and no one considers these to be rip-offs. Why should the Wii be singled out for different treatment?
So if you didn't like the graphics on the cube they ain't gonna be much better on the Wii.
The article you mention doesn't seem to think so. Besides, it has been many years since the main CPU on any console handled the graphics for that console. Much as computers do nowadays, consoles use a coprocessor for graphics, and that's outside the scope of this article.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 02:27 PM

Stop using logic and facts!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 02:30 PM

Right, I don't care if the cpu is 33 Mhz (ala the DS) or 4 Ghz if all it is doing is filling the GPU and has enough power to do it.

Besides TW looks pretty great to me.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 02:32 PM

IGN has played Wii sports. Some highlights:
http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2006/10/30/35384/p5

"However, ether I'm completely missing something or sometimes the directions and motion of your swings goes ignored. You might swing your racket to the left, for instance, and the ball will go flying off to the right, anyway."

"When you consider that you're in control of a single item – the tennis racket – you want that control to be perfect, and more and more I'm finding that simply isn't the case in some of these Wii Sports games. Furthermore, you can easily cheat, if that's what you want to call it – and frankly, I think it is cheating. You don't have to go through the full motion. In Wii Sports Baseball, you could make a full throwing gesture with the Wii-mote to hurl the ball at the plate. Or, you could quickly flick your wrist to replace the full-blown motion. I might be able to overlook this cheap gameplay shortcut if the motions were at least calculated equally. But you'll oftentimes find that a simple flick of the wrist yields a speedier fastball than the full arching motion. What the eff is up with that, Nintendo? "

"When Bozon and I played against each other, he tried repeatedly to throw the ball slowly so that I could blast one out of the park, but he couldn't. He tried the full-arch motion (as I'm officially dubbing the exaggerated movements made by actors in all the Wii advertisements and promos) and he tried the wrist-flick motion; both resulted in super fastballs, despite the fact that he deliberately made slow gestures each time. That moves out of clunky territory and into broken country, as far as I'm concerned. "

"Wii Sports Baseball has other puzzling deficiencies. For instance, when you want to throw a curve ball, you don't actually motion it, as you might suspect. No, why would you want to use a gesture for a console whose primary purpose is to promote unique and innovative ways to play?"

"However, in my experience with Tennis and Baseball thus far, the controls seem to suffice half the time (and the experience is fun) and in contrast feels broken the other half (which really takes away from any enjoyment you might try to sustain).

It is a freebie so I suppose I can't complain too much. But when I get to thinking about how Wii Sports is supposed to represent Nintendo's bold new direction with Wii, I can't help but feel a little skeptical. Many of these new gameplay experiences that the Big N trumpets as loud as it can are, in practice, unproven at the very least and broken at the very worst. "

He liked bowling though.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 02:32 PM

Another point on Nintendo's "failure to switch architectures": both the XBox360 and PS3 now use PowerPC-derived chips, just as the GameCube and Wii do. If the other game console makers see so much promise in the architecture that they'd switch to it, then why fault Nintendo simply because they already used it in a previous console and have decided to continue using it?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 02:35 PM

then why fault Nintendo simply because they already used it in a previous console and have decided to continue using it?
No it is good for their pockets, cheaper and the number #1 concern buyers have is that Nintendo makes money.

Every other game system gets a HUGE boost in specs as they are 5 years apart. Then the Wii just get a cooler, smaller chip but sticks to 5 year old graphics and audio.

Name one person who has ever said "I love my gamecube but on the next system I hope the chip is cooler and smaller".

Forum Links
Forum Rules