Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail Virus Notice

Mail Virus Notice
Orion27
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 11:14 AM

Recieved a notice of udeliverable mail to a recipient that I did not send mail to. it returned to me via AOL describing the content of the email as containing a virus. I also recieved an email containing an .pif doc which I did not open, Subject header: My details. My system appears o.k OSX 10.2.6. Mail client Entourage. What steps need I take to protect my system? Virus scan? ( Virex is all I have ) Just trash the offending mail? Are we about to be flooded with email? Thanks. P.S I am a DSL
client of BellSouth.net and do not have an AOL
account. The .pif was sent to me via Yahoo. I don't have a Yahoo account either.

proton
Senior User
Aug 20, 2003, 11:30 AM

This is (at least at the moment), mostly caused by W32/Sobig-F@mm, a Windows mass mailing virus. It does not affect the Mac OS at all. To get an idea of how many copies of it are going around, the mail server here blocked over 28000 copies of it yesterday (around 2.8 gig worth of viral content).

Just delete the email and ignore it.

- proton

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2003, 11:31 AM

Someone using Windows and having you in his address book is infected by the Klez virus. This virus sends itself to others making it look you (some random person in the infected machine's address book) did send it. There is nothing you can do about it.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...02041911334611
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 11:36 AM

I've been getting that a lot today as well - I use Mail.app

It's not you that's infected - it's some Windows user - who has your email address in their address book.

The virus then uses this info to send mail containing the virus through its own SMTP server (purporting to be you!):

see more info here:

http://hq.mcafeeasap.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=100561

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Orion27:
Recieved a notice of udeliverable mail to a recipient that I did not send mail to. it returned to me via AOL describing the content of the email as containing a virus. I also recieved an email containing an .pif doc which I did not open, Subject header: My details. My system appears o.k OSX 10.2.6. Mail client Entourage. What steps need I take to protect my system? Virus scan? ( Virex is all I have ) Just trash the offending mail? Are we about to be flooded with email? Thanks. P.S I am a DSL
client of BellSouth.net and do not have an AOL
account. The .pif was sent to me via Yahoo. I don't have a Yahoo account either.
Don't worry about it. Someone is sending out viral spam with your address as the return address. It's entirely likely that somewhere along the line, someone who had you in their address book got the virus, and it decided to send out spam with your "from" to make it seem more credible.

.pif files are of no concern to a Mac user. They are Windows executables. Same for .scr files, .exe files and .bat files.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 11:45 AM

hmm - got about 20 of these emails so far - thinking about writing a rule to filter them.

Is there a legitimate use for .pif files? Do many people attach them normally?

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2003, 02:42 PM

A PIF file is a Program Information File, used under windows to tell Windows2000 and XP how a legacy program is meant to operate under it's "advanced" environment. A lot of older 16 bit Windows apps and old DOS apps don't run as expected unless they have a PIF file linked telling Windows how to run the program.

They are almost NEVER sent through e-mail unless two users want the same program on two different 2000 or XP systems to run the exact same way....

The files have no relavence under Mac OS and never will. There is virtually no way this file can hurt you're system, write a rule, filter them to the trash and hit delete.

-Telusman

(P.s. The file you're getting i dont think is a real PIF file, its viral information in the guise of a PIF File)
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

ambush
Banned
Aug 20, 2003, 03:17 PM

SOBIG IZ BACK IN THAT HOUSE!@

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 03:19 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate all the great info.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
hmm - got about 20 of these emails so far - thinking about writing a rule to filter them.
I got 63 of those sobig.f mails. I created a rule to filter them out but that rule only works for sobig.f as it relies on Text in the mail.

Is there a way to create a rule to filter attachments in Mac OS X Mail? That way it would be very easy to filter those .pif and .scr worms.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Zadian:
I got 63 of those sobig.f mails. I created a rule to filter them out but that rule only works for sobig.f as it relies on Text in the mail.

Is there a way to create a rule to filter attachments in Mac OS X Mail? That way it would be very easy to filter those .pif and .scr worms.
Alas no - I looked into it this afternoon. Mail's applescriptablity doesn't goes down to the attachment level - you can get the body of the mail (including MIME attachment text) however.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2003, 08:09 PM

I got two of the emails today from people I had never seen the address of before, both subjects containing the phrase "Thank you!". Does emailing the person back let them know that they have the virus, or is it too late by now/do they know by now?
|wishing is for suckers|

proton
Senior User
Aug 20, 2003, 08:17 PM

The virus forges the "From:" address, so whoever it appears to have come from isn't who it came from. They just happened to be in the address book of someone who does have the virus, and have probably already got a whole pile of messages from mail servers that stupidly send replies to virus emails even though they know the virus forges the from address....

- proton

gatorparrots
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Zadian:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...30820063155258
Andrew Stone of Stone Design sent in a submission for dealing with the w32.sobig.f worm that's currently filling many OS X users' mailboxes with hundreds of junk emails. I had also received a couple emails from users about the flood of email, and had started working on the same thing last night. Since it appears to be hitting a large number of people, here's Andrew's Mail rule which will automatically delete the vast majority of these worm spams. You can read more about the worm on Symantec's site.

Create a new Mail rule, and set "If 'any' of the following conditions are met," and add all of these conditions:

* Subect - Ends with - My details
* Subect - Ends with - Your details
* Subect - Ends with - Your application
* Subect - Ends with - Wicked screensaver
* Subect - Ends with - That movie
* Subect - Ends with - Approved
* Subect - Ends with - Details
* Subect - Ends with - Thank you!
* From - Is equal to - [email protected]

In the "Perform the following actions" section of the dialog, set the first action to "Delete message" and the second to "Stop evaluating rules." Make this new rule the first rule in your rules list, so it runs before everything else. Andrew created an image that displays the finished rule.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by gatorparrots:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...30820063155258
Good... but here's one that's less likely to filter out honest e-mail ending in "Thank you!" and such...
[list=1][*]Go to "Edit Header List..." in the Mail.app rules prefpane.[*]Add "Content-Type" to the list of headers.[*]Set this rule: Content-Type Contains boundary="_NextPart_000_[/list=1]

As far as I can tell, only W32.Sobig uses that for a MIME boundary, and that has been catching ALL my incoming mail from that worm.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 01:33 AM

From my company's IT "geniuses."

We are currently experiencing a high volume of virus reports.
The W32.Sobig.F@mm virus is being detected by the virus scanners on the e-mail servers and on many people's workstations.

If you receive an attachment from someone you do not know, please do NOT open the attachment. This virus will send out e-mail from both valid and fake return addresses.

Be very cautious if you receive any e-mail with any of the following characteristics:

Subject:
Re: Details
Re: Approved
Re: Re: My details
Re: Thank you!
Re: That movie
Re: Wicked screensaver
Re: Your application
Thank you!
Your details

Body:
See the attached file for details
Please see the attached file for details.

Attachment:
your_document.pif
document_all.pif
thank_you.pif
your_details.pif
details.pif
document_9446.pif
application.pif
wicked_scr.scr
movie0045.pif

More Information can be found at:
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/[email protected]

Silly Windows users.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
Good... but here's one that's less likely to filter out honest e-mail ending in "Thank you!" and such...
[list=1][*]Go to "Edit Header List..." in the Mail.app rules prefpane.[*]Add "Content-Type" to the list of headers.[*]Set this rule: Content-Type Contains boundary="_NextPart_000_[/list=1]

As far as I can tell, only W32.Sobig uses that for a MIME boundary, and that has been catching ALL my incoming mail from that worm.
Nice one - this works.

jsiburt
Aug 22, 2003, 08:54 AM

As far as I can tell, only W32.Sobig uses that for a MIME boundary, and that has been catching ALL my incoming mail from that worm. [/B]
I got one this morning that it didn't work with. It may mutate as it spreads depending on what computer it comes from. Just speculating.

rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2003, 10:50 AM

Where is the "Edit Header List..." option? I loooked in Mail-->Preferences-->Rules and I couldn't find it.

Thanks.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by rlorenc:
Where is the "Edit Header List..." option? I loooked in Mail-->Preferences-->Rules and I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
Make a new rule - then in the sheet choose the "From" pop-up

Forum Links
Forum Rules