Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > software to get .jpegs back on memory stick?!

software to get .jpegs back on memory stick?!
Carrot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 12:13 AM

hi,

after searching a while on the net, i still didn't find an answer to it.

is there a way (software) to get pictures from the computer back on a (sony) memory stick of a cybershot digicam?!
if yes, is the software for os 9.2?!

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 11:08 AM

if you get one of those memory stick drives (or the cool memory stick mouse) it should show up on your desktop. now whether or not your camera will recognize em if you just drop them on is a whole other ballgame. Get one from bestbuy and try it, if not then just return it. gatta love that 30 day money back guarantee.

derbbre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2003, 03:25 PM

You shouldn't even need a stick reader. Every camera I have seen in the past couple years shows up as a drive on your desktop. You just drag files (jpeg or whatever) onto it and you're ready to go.

Now, if you want to view the pictures on the camera, they will need to be in a particular folder (typically DCIM/100xxxx). Just format the card in your camera, then take one shot. Hook it up and drop other shots in the same location as the one you just took.

This works fine on my CyberShot DSC-S85.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 11:17 PM

my elph doesn't show up on my desktop?

Yose
Senior User
Dec 26, 2003, 11:31 PM

godzookie2k
my elph doesn't show up on my desktop?
Neither does my Digital Rebel � it might be Canon's nice way of making us use their software. :/
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by Yose:
Neither does my Digital Rebel � it might be Canon's nice way of making us use their software. :/
That really sucks, my Olympus shows up as an untitled drive.

Carrot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 12:58 PM

i don't know, if teh sony camera shows up on the desktop, because we used a card reader in the end.

only, he thought he'd have the pictures on the computer, because of the album, image mix (sad sony software!) let him create. turns out, they were thumbnails...

only, after he "reformated" the memory stick, where the important pictures were on, he took 33 (!) new pictures on it.

only, every software to recover date on memory sticks, recovers the first (his "new" pictures) layer and not the second (the pictures we were looking for) layer.

so, all in all it was a day spend searching for something we couldn't recover...

p.s. my digital eloh doesn't show up on the desktop, either. it's not possible to put .jpegs back on an inserted cf card...

Joost
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by derbbre:
You shouldn't even need a stick reader. Every camera I have seen in the past couple years shows up as a drive on your desktop. You just drag files (jpeg or whatever) onto it and you're ready to go.

Now, if you want to view the pictures on the camera, they will need to be in a particular folder (typically DCIM/100xxxx). Just format the card in your camera, then take one shot. Hook it up and drop other shots in the same location as the one you just took.

This works fine on my CyberShot DSC-S85.
It almost works fine on my CyberShot, too. Almost.

I used Image Capture to bring over photos from a friend's CyberShot but by mistake left the prefs to delete photos after file transfer. No problem, I thought -- just drag them back over to the Memory Stick's DCIM/100xxxx folder via the Finder. But when I try to drag and drop to the Stick, the Finder tells me there's not enough space.

Mmm, no changes have been made to the photos, so the file sizes should be exactly the same. Regular JPG icon, rather than thumbnail photo icon, so no change there. But even after reformatting the Stick via the CyberShot, the Finder message is the same... Not enough space.

Now, is this a throwback to the old HFS issue of each file having to take up a multiple, in bytes, of the total volume size? Or are hidden OS X files being transferred to the Stick and gobbling up space in the process? In which case, how do I delete them to free up space and get all the photos back on. Or is it something else altogether?

Any and all help gratefully received.
He that will eat the kernel must crack the nut.

Forum Links
Forum Rules