Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Air America bouncing checks... lost 2 stations already

Air America bouncing checks... lost 2 stations already
spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2004, 05:46 PM

Liberal radio Air America loses 2 stations
CHICAGO, April 14 (UPI) -- Air America, the new liberal talk-radio network that premiered in six cities two weeks ago, was off the air in Chicago and Los Angeles Wednesday.

Air America programming featuring comedian Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo was pulled by Multicultural Radio Broadcasting Inc., which owns WNTD-950 AM in Chicago and KBLA-1580 AM in Los Angeles, after a check bounced, the Chicago Tribune said.

MRB owner Arthur Liu said an Air America check bounced and they are in default owing more than $1 million. The Chicago and Los Angeles stations substituted Spanish language talk-radio programming.

Air America denied it had breached its contract with Liu.

"That is an outright lie," Evan Cohen, Air America's chairman said in a statement that called Multicultural Radio Broadcasting's conduct in pulling its programming "disgraceful."

Air America has charged Multicultural Radio Broadcasting with breach of contract in New York state Supreme Court and is seeking an injunction to get back on the air.
Not a good start for this network. They have a few more stations coming onboard in the near future. Maybe those station owners should request the air-lease payment up front.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2004, 05:53 PM

Thum bleedin'heart libarals. Shud no bettor then to start up thum parpagandar boardcastin'. At'll showum.

Han me anuther Bud Billy Bud.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Thum bleedin'heart libarals. Shud no bettor then to start up thum parpagandar boardcastin'. At'll showum.
They can spread all the propaganda they want. It would be nice if they could muster up the cash to pay the station owner, though.

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 14, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Liberal radio Air America loses 2 stations
Loses 2 stations ? Didnt they have like 3 to begin with ?

Oh, what a pity. My sympathy goes out to them.

Maybe they should ask for govt support, like NPR or other leftie stations. It seems like thats whats needed inorder for those kind of stations to survive.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2004, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
They can spread all the propaganda they want. It would be nice if they could muster up the cash to pay the station owner, though.
They'll have to cough up the cash or fold up, naturally. What is the matter with the liberal funds? Becoming shallow? AirAmerica should broadcast over the internet so I could listen to the propaganda.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2004, 07:20 PM

They'll have to cough up the cash or fold up, naturally. What is the matter with the liberal funds? Becoming shallow? AirAmerica should broadcast over the internet so I could listen to the propaganda.
rtsp://rx-lvl3-pa14.rbn.com/farm/*/airam/airam/live/live.rm

Their claim is that they put a stop payment on some checks because the guy stole money from them...

Dunno.

BlackGriffen

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 07:41 PM

"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2004, 08:18 PM

Thanks guys!

::goes off to listen to liberal propaganda radio::

(Like Reagan did in his youth)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2004, 08:27 PM

*SNIP*

Han me anuther Bud Billy Bud.
Maybe they should just pay their damned bills. Losers.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Loses 2 stations ? Didnt they have like 3 to begin with ?

Oh, what a pity. My sympathy goes out to them.

Maybe they should ask for govt support, like NPR or other leftie stations. It seems like thats whats needed inorder for those kind of stations to survive.

Maybe we're just too busy to listen to the radio during the afternoon, you know, that work thing...

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Apr 14, 2004, 11:21 PM

Well, that's a nice example of stereotyping, isn't it? What's next, a lapse into Ebonics?

In any event, the real story for me here is that they were paying to be on these stations to begin with. That's not how shows are typically carried on various radio stations; the reverse happens. Stations pay to have syndicated shows broadcast. What we have here seems to be the reverse.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules