Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The Mac Pro Waiting Blues

The Mac Pro Waiting Blues (Page 2)
Sandylp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 12:23 PM

Waiting, yes, forever it seems. I was expecting the ATI Radeon X2800XT with Crossfire (Code name R600XTX) to be offered for the Mac Pro line. Also, the entire line should be quad (8 cores total): 2.5, 2.83 and 3.0. I hope Apple doesn't wait until January to update the Mac Pro.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's outright comical when you consider the 2.0 GHz dual-core mini costs $699 already. If Apple would ever sell a quad-core HEM the price tag would be somewhere around the cost of (subtracting the cost of the screen and adding an "upsell penalty") a comparable iMac.

That would put your 2.4 GHz quad right about at $1499. What was that? Can't compete with the Dell tower? Bingo. Guess why Apple's not selling it?

It's become very clear once again from watching Steve's address that they just don't want to make a HEM. They think it's ugly and they think using it isn't nice. They believe it's either a professional tower or a portable for most folks and everybody else basically wants a AIO. Apart from the gamers and geeks he might even be right about that. Be that as it may, it's very clear that a HEM isn't coming up anytime soon. Even more so if you'd actually believe it would happen below $1k.
The iMac is only as expensive/slow as it is because it has to use laptop parts. The only sensible way to make a HEM would be using desktop parts, otherwise you have another Mac Mini. But I agree, a HEM isn't going to happen in the next 2 years. After that we'll have to see what the industry does with desktops as users continue to migrate to portables.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 11:19 PM

Dear Mac Pro Team,

IS YOUR MOTTO, "TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY TO POOP ON!" ?

DO YOU EVEN EXIST? IF YOU EXIST, DO YOU WORK ON THE MAC PRO EVERY DAY? IN WHICH CASE, WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG? AND IF NOT, APPLE, WHY IS THERE NO DEDICATED MAC PRO TEAM?

Ahem. What I mean is...um......

I've got a painful case of the Mac Pro waiting bluessszzzzz...... !
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by awcopus View Post
Dear Mac Pro Team,

IS YOUR MOTTO, "TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY TO POOP ON!" ?
They are working on a Mac remake of "Tomorrow will never die".

Film music: "Magnana" (the song from the twenties or thirties), but possibly a BLUES VERSION of it.

elrah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 04:14 AM

Dear Mac Pro Team,
DO YOU EVEN EXIST? IF YOU EXIST, DO YOU WORK ON THE MAC PRO EVERY DAY? IN WHICH CASE, WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG?...
I heard that Apple have outsourced the Mac Pro team to 3D Realms. Apparently they are going to start work on an upgrade as soon as they finish their current project, Duke Nukem Forever.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by elrah View Post
I heard that Apple have outsourced the Mac Pro team to 3D Realms. Apparently they are going to start work on an upgrade as soon as they finish their current project, Duke Nukem Forever.

A Mac user since nineteen eighty six
So you know I've paid my dues
badoww wooowwww
Dear Jobs, I need a performance fix
I gots the Mac Pro waiting blues.

oh yeah....

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 01:27 PM

Recent communique from Steve Jobs:

Dear awcopus,

I'm writing this to you on my new iPhone. It is grate! But I have so much music, I'm always reloading it with new tunes, which is annoying!

When I first heard, yesterday, that one of our loyal customers had the Mac Pro waiting blues, I became concerned because my iPhone's battery was so low that I couldn't get in touch with the Mac Pro team right away on your behalf. I tried calling, but the reception at Area 51 is spotty at best. Would have emailed them but I had the Edge waiting blues. I promise you that I will look into this as soon as I recharge my iPhone, which, by the way, is the best iPod yet!

I will look into the Mac Pro delay and get back to you soon, or within the next 6 moths. As to why Apple doesn't upgrade the Mac Pro more regularly or offer more frequently updated BTO GPU options, have you considered buying an iPhone?

Insanely great,
Steve

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 01:54 PM

I got a voice mail from Steve Jobs:

He was rapping to the sound of outdated MacPros, crashing on the sidewalk after a travel four stories down.

"Mac-a-Mac-a-pro-pro
Is-it-a-too slow-slow?
Gotta-do-what-I-doo
Get-a-PC-right-noo"

That's probably the start of the new Apple reverse switch campaign, trying to get useless, low volume quality computer buyers out of the Apple brand, so they can completely freak out with iPods, uglified iMacs, iTeenieWeenies, and - newest project - the wireless iCondomes.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Aug 10, 2007 at 02:12 PM. )

bloggerblog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 09:32 PM

I think the MacPro is kinda too much and the mini is too little.
I wish if there were something like a MacPro Mini. Well actually I just wish that I can connect two monitors to the mini.

Yeh I don't need the slots, and I don't want a BookPro connected to an external monitor, I'd prefer a mini with two displays.

bloggerblog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 09:32 PM

those r my blues

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2007, 11:04 PM

People are complaining
'bout Apple's G - P - UUUUs
Many who want to buy are refraining
Seems everybody's got Mac blues....
blurpee durpee dee dee doodullee doo-dee-doo

Can you just imagine the conversation at Apple's iMac development meeting?

"Mr. Ives, lovely design, sir. But if you use glass on the iMac line, it'll just make the computer too damn expensive!"
"I've already spoken with Steve about this. We're going to save A LOT OF MONEY by putting a hamster-and-wheel where the GPU ordinarily goes."
"Where the hell are we going to find a hamster-and-wheel that fits in your sexy slim design?"
"Tally-ho, good sir! ATI makes it. The Radeon HD 2600 PRO card."
"You're a fricking genius!"
"Well, yes. Yes, I am."

So the real question is: What outdated piece of crap is going to be the stock graphics card in the upcoming Mac Pro that we'll all be replacing for at least $300 with the one and only kickass BTO option that Apple will offer us as long as we're willing to wait an extra 2-3 months, which, of course, we will.

I still got the Mac Pro waiting blues.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 02:46 PM

TheRegister.co.uk reports that the first Intel Penryn chips will be formally launched on November 11th. The report apparently comes from Intel's own website for dealers.

The first of the Penryn processors will be Xeon CPUs and come in 2.00GHz, 2.33GHz, 2.50GHz, 2.66GHz, 2.83GHz, 3.00GHz and 3.16GHz speeds with 1333MHz frontside buses. The 45nm chips are expected to be Quad-Core chips with 12MB of L2 cache.

I picked up a Macbook Pro today. Will help pass the time as I await a (fingers-crossed) November refresh of the Mac Pro, hopefully with Leopard pre-installed.

Still got the Mac Pro waiting blues.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 03:58 PM

rnicoll
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2007, 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=Sandylp;3450626Also, the entire line should be quad (8 cores total): 2.5, 2.83 and 3.0.[/QUOTE]

Why? WHY??? Some of us want something between an iMac and a 8 core workstation from hell. Some of us bought those "priced to make the next option look even better" PowerMacs, y'know...

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by rnicoll View Post
Why? WHY??? Some of us want something between an iMac and a 8 core workstation from hell. Some of us bought those "priced to make the next option look even better" PowerMacs, y'know...

The new Mac Pros will probably come in at approximately the same price points as the current lineup. So, you'll be getting more bang for your buck. Heck, Apple may even re-introduce a sub-$2000 Mac Pro using the current processors. Certainly the current lineup will become more affordable for those interested in getting a deal on them *while supplies last*.

Only 3-5 more months of Mac Pro waiting blues people.
( Last edited by awcopus; Aug 15, 2007 at 05:07 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 06:13 PM

Waiting until November for Penryn would be the most ridiculous update ever from Apple. Chip (and other component) prices have halved or performance has doubled at the same price comparing today to a year ago.

Dual quad 2.5/2.83/3.0 is the same price today as the dual dual 2.0/2.66/3.0 was when the Mac Pro launched, so it shouldn't drive the price any higher.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 06:52 PM

What Mark said. We have strong CPU choices already. It is graphics and memory and price that are very lame on MPs. Necessary graphics and memory changes are needed now, not waiting for an unnecessary CPU upgrade.

-Allen Wicks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 07:20 PM

Aside from the 3Ghz duals and quads, the CPU choices available in the Mac Pro aren't even all that strong... dual 2.66 should be quad 2.83!

suneohair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
What Mark said. We have strong CPU choices already. It is graphics and memory and price that are very lame on MPs. Necessary graphics and memory changes are needed now, not waiting for an unnecessary CPU upgrade.

-Allen Wicks
Wrong. Clovertowns are priced the same as Woodcrests. We do not have the strongest CPU options. In fact we are being ripped off at this point. An upgrade is completely necessary. And even more so when the cheaper Harpertowns hit which will be much more powerful at 45nm, higher clocks, quad-core and 12MB cache.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Aug 16, 2007, 12:20 AM

heh...I was about to ask you guys when I should buy a Mac Pro...

So my best guess is that a new rev might be released the same time that Tiger is released? I wish we didn't have to wait that long.

I have a macbook that my gf would love love to borrow. She doesn't want me to buy her a new one, even though I'm willing to. Loaning her out mine is a reasonable compromise, but I don't want to be stuck in a position where I buy a Mac Pro, and then the next week, Apple decides to update it.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 12:47 AM

This just in from Mr. Jobs:

Dear awcopus,

In answer to your first question, yes, you can write off a portion of the purchase price of any one of the current Mac Pros as a charitable donation to Apple's Mac Pro Development Team (they would really appreciate it, too!). $0.03 of every dollar you spend on a current Mac Pro will help feed a member of the team, and if you buy RAM from us, an additional $0.02 per dollar of that purchase will help pay for such critical materials as blackboards, chalk, and other assorted brainstorming paraphernalia.

In answer to your second question, I can tell you that, yes, you guessed it, we've had a quite a lively year-long debate about whether it would be necessary to ever release another Mac Pro. Look, awcopus, ALL of our current offerings include USB 2.0 and iTunes, which is basically all that's necessary to use iPods or the iPhone. So, you know, it's like c'mon everybody, get on the frickin' bus already! Yes, there is consensus about this outlook among most of the Mac Pro development team, except for one guy who keeps nagging us about our GPU options and CPU pricing. But he's not exactly Mr. Popular, if you catch my drift!

In answer to your third and fourth questions, no, I don't think prolonged exposure to the iPhone leads to deluded thinking about the Mac Pro line, and yes, Apple is considering patenting its approach to updating the Mac Pro line, with the hope of collecting royalties from other companies that take forever to produce and sell upgraded computing machines.

And finally, in answer to your last question, "if" we decide to produce it, we're probably going to release a new Mac Pro before Leopard is released so that MP buyers have to pay extra for the new OS, or quite a bit after it, for reasons you wouldn't believe, let alone understand.

My pleasure,
Steve Jobs

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 12:51 AM

Dudes, it really ain't funny at all
how badly I've got'em,
...the Mac Pro waiting blues.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 03:29 AM

Dudes, it really ain't funny at all
how badly I've got'em,
...the Mac Pro waiting blues.
Somehow - I think - we've managed to get that.

No seriously, the CPU choices are strong in the sense that they offer a lot of power for those in the workstation market. But as has also been pointed out, they are weak from a business POV in the sense that for a similar price Apple paid Intel for Woodcrests a year ago, they can now buy significantly more performance.

When the MP cam out in Aug 06 these were the 1k prices of the used Woodcrests:
X5160 - 3.00 GHz - $851
X5150 - 2.66 GHz - $690
X5130 - 2.00 GHz - $316

Currently you can get these Clovertowns:
X5365 - 3.00 GHz - $1172
E5355 - 2.66 GHz - $744
E5345 - 2.33 GHz - $455
E5335 - 2.00 GHz - $316

And of course, as has already been mentioned many times before, there are better GPUs and HDDs around that could easily be added as new BTO options at any time and regardless of Intel's CPU releases.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Dual quad 2.5/2.83/3.0 is the same price today as the dual dual 2.0/2.66/3.0 was when the Mac Pro launched, so it shouldn't drive the price any higher.
Not really, because no such Clovertowns exist. See the list above. Also the prices aren't actually the same, but they're similar.

Aside from the 3Ghz duals and quads, the CPU choices available in the Mac Pro aren't even all that strong... dual 2.66 should be quad 2.83!
Again, there is no 2.83 GHz Clovertown. But what they could do is go from dual 2.66 to quad 2.66 at almost the same price.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 16, 2007 at 03:40 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 03:37 AM

Some of us want something between an iMac and a 8 core workstation from hell.
Those people should be looking forward to the next MP revision the most. As soon as the MP gets a decent refresh the current quad-core MPs will drop in price considerably. You'll be able to pick up a rev A MP as a refurb from Apple, from a dealership that still has them in stock, or used. I'd expect prices to start at around $1500. So if I were looking for something between an iMac and a 8-core MP I'd be very anxious to see a big MP overhaul.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2007, 05:35 AM

When Apple announced their quarterly earnings one of the execs mentioned that there is going to be a transition of some sort in Sept. You think this might involve the Mac Pro?

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
When Apple announced their quarterly earnings one of the execs mentioned that there is going to be a transition of some sort in Sept. You think this might involve the Mac Pro?
No. There is no transition involving the Mac Pro that would inspire any mention by Apple execs. What a preposterous notion! Most of them need a double dose of Aricept to jog their memory about the good ol' days when Apple was a "computer" company.

Unless.... no, no, it couldn't be..... then again...... oh, dear lord..... Operation Poo Poo Platter?

This *might* be a top-secretly rumored cost-cutting measure, Operation Poo Poo platter, that would simultaneously relocate the Mac Pro Development Team from Infinity Loop and Apple's India- and Texas-based call center employees to a Chinese dissident slave labor camp deep in the wilderness close to the Vietnamese border.

The only thing holding this up has been Apple's insistence that the Chinese govt. allow out-houses and at least monthly shipments of water and bread. If the govt. caved on these requests, Poo Poo Platter may be a go, I repeat, a GO!

Sandylp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 03:50 PM

TheRegister.co.uk reports that the first Intel Penryn chips will be formally launched on November 11th. The report apparently comes from Intel's own website for dealers.

The first of the Penryn processors will be Xeon CPUs and come in 2.00GHz, 2.33GHz, 2.50GHz, 2.66GHz, 2.83GHz, 3.00GHz and 3.16GHz speeds with 1333MHz frontside buses. The 45nm chips are expected to be Quad-Core chips with 12MB of L2 cache.

I picked up a Macbook Pro today. Will help pass the time as I await a (fingers-crossed) November refresh of the Mac Pro, hopefully with Leopard pre-installed.

Still got the Mac Pro waiting blues.
I have a feeling that the Penryn processors won't be introduced by Apple until Jan 2008 at the WWDC, and, heck, I've waited this long...might as well make it January!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 06:16 PM

Not really, because no such Clovertowns exist. See the list above. Also the prices aren't actually the same, but they're similar.

Again, there is no 2.83 GHz Clovertown. But what they could do is go from dual 2.66 to quad 2.66 at almost the same price.
Oops, I confused Clovertown and Penryn prices... 3 months to go.

E5450 3.00 GHz 80W 12MB $851
E5440 2.83 GHz 80W 12MB $690
E5420 2.50 GHz 80W 12MB $316

JohnCoffee
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2007, 02:36 AM

This just in from Mr. Jobs:

Dear awcopus,

In answer to your first question, yes, you can write off a portion of the purchase price of any one of the current Mac Pros as a charitable donation to Apple's Mac Pro Development Team (they would really appreciate it, too!). $0.03 of every dollar you spend on a current Mac Pro will help feed a member of the team, and if you buy RAM from us, an additional $0.02 per dollar of that purchase will help pay for such critical materials as blackboards, chalk, and other assorted brainstorming paraphernalia.

In answer to your second question, I can tell you that, yes, you guessed it, we've had a quite a lively year-long debate about whether it would be necessary to ever release another Mac Pro. Look, awcopus, ALL of our current offerings include USB 2.0 and iTunes, which is basically all that's necessary to use iPods or the iPhone. So, you know, it's like c'mon everybody, get on the frickin' bus already! Yes, there is consensus about this outlook among most of the Mac Pro development team, except for one guy who keeps nagging us about our GPU options and CPU pricing. But he's not exactly Mr. Popular, if you catch my drift!

In answer to your third and fourth questions, no, I don't think prolonged exposure to the iPhone leads to deluded thinking about the Mac Pro line, and yes, Apple is considering patenting its approach to updating the Mac Pro line, with the hope of collecting royalties from other companies that take forever to produce and sell upgraded computing machines.

And finally, in answer to your last question, "if" we decide to produce it, we're probably going to release a new Mac Pro before Leopard is released so that MP buyers have to pay extra for the new OS, or quite a bit after it, for reasons you wouldn't believe, let alone understand.

My pleasure,
Steve Jobs
awcopus, since I still do my daily work on a G4 Dual 533 MHz Mac, I'm thinking about upgrading as well. Do you think it would make sense to contact Mr.Jobs as well to make him understand the urgency of this matter? Furthermore I guess I shouldn't tell him that I still don't have a iPhone

regards
John

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by suneohair View Post
Wrong. Clovertowns are priced the same as Woodcrests. We do not have the strongest CPU options. In fact we are being ripped off at this point. An upgrade is completely necessary. And even more so when the cheaper Harpertowns hit which will be much more powerful at 45nm, higher clocks, quad-core and 12MB cache.
What I said was that we have strong CPUs now. I said nothing about strongest CPU or regarding CPU value. Existing boxes are not particularly CPU-limited. As a pro graphics user I would be perfectly happy with the existing 8-core if competent graphics and memory handling were made available. I don't need to wait one additional minute for better CPUs, I just want the existing throughput bottlenecks fixed now.

-Allen Wicks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2007, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by suneohair View Post
Wrong. Clovertowns are priced the same as Woodcrests.
This is simply not true.

Check the 1k price list I gave above. Prices are similar, but they are not the same. Apart from the 2.0 GHz part every Clovertown is more expensive than the comparable Woodcrest.

OTOH, once Harpertown (the Penryn-based Xeon) arrives in November they will sell for the exact same prices as Woodcrest originally did.

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by JohnCoffee View Post
awcopus, since I still do my daily work on a G4 Dual 533 MHz Mac, I'm thinking about upgrading as well. Do you think it would make sense to contact Mr.Jobs as well to make him understand the urgency of this matter? Furthermore I guess I shouldn't tell him that I still don't have a iPhone

regards
John
In order for Jobs to remain on the cutting edge, he must periodically purge unimportant details from his mind. It is likely that he would have no recollection of Apple's use of Motorola chips, let alone the G4 Dual 533 MHz Mac, so I wouldn't bring that up in your communique. Otherwise, he might reply: "Yes, definitely upgrade whatever computer it is that your using to a Mac Pro. They are much faster than your 533 MHz device and run the same OS as the iPhone."

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2007, 08:14 AM

Simple question, are we ready to revolt yet? All kidding aside of this thread aside. Where is the refresh of components on the Mac Pro? As I said other threads Apple only treats its customers like this because we allow them to do so. Personally, I'm very quickly getting tired of the ride.

First, we had a crisis because of CPUs. Now we have crisis because of GPUs. When will Apple actually get it's act to together and actually take its pro tower users seriously? And yes, I have sent Apple feedback. There is no excuse for the Mac Pro to be untouched for over a year.

This wouldn't be so bad if there was an updated GPU that I could buy and upgrade myself but this is not possible. And I can't get an updated GPU from Apple because they will not update their systems. This inflexibility is where Apple continuously fails in comparison to PCs.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2007, 08:56 AM

If you don't buy a MP because of those issues, you are sending Apple a message.

Some people would also argue that Apple's weak desktop sales compared to the notebook sales have to do with this problem. Others would of course answer that Apple obviously doesn't mind...

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2007, 09:18 AM

If you don't buy a MP because of those issues, you are sending Apple a message.
Yeah, that's why I haven't bought one. I just don't think enough people are being loud enough. I think a lot of Mac users have the roles in the Apple/customer relationship backwards. They let Apple dictate their needs instead dictating their needs to Apple.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2007, 09:23 AM

Question, what is the incentive of graphics card manufacturers to make cards for Apple systems when there is only one current Mac that can actually take a graphics card?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
Yeah, that's why I haven't bought one. I just don't think enough people are being loud enough. I think a lot of Mac users have the roles in the Apple/customer relationship backwards. They let Apple dictate their needs instead dictating their needs to Apple.
Well in all fairness, if you want/need to use OS X you don't have many other choices.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2007, 05:25 PM

It's too bad Apple doesn't separate product lines in their quarterly sales figures any more (stopped ~2Q06). I suspect the Mac Pro sales have taken a dive in the last quarter.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 02:08 AM

It's too bad Apple doesn't separate product lines in their quarterly sales figures any more (stopped ~2Q06). I suspect the Mac Pro sales have taken a dive in the last quarter.
Me too. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if weak pro sales were part of the reason they stopped dividing the figures. Now all you get is desktop and notebook sales. Of course that doesn't indicate how much of the desktop sales are made up by the cheap mini or the popular iMac.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 25, 2007 at 02:16 AM. )

awcopus  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 01:45 PM

Another exciting day of Apple releases that have nothing to do with the Mac Pro.

Ring tones. The gayification of the country marches on. I'm not saying this is a bad thing. Just flamingly gay.

New iPod nano. Size wise, it resembles an over-sized potato chip. 8GB for $200? I think I'll stick with potato chips. Wake me up when they make one with a built-in powered subwoofer.

iPod Touch. I wish the the new Mac Pro had a touch feature, as in, I'd like to be able to touch it right now! So nice of Apple to include wifi capabilities in the iPod, too. Maybe the new Mac Pro will come with this stuff, too. Nahh, that'd be craaazzyyy.

I don't have Macbook Pro waiting blues, or iPod/nano waiting blues or iMac waiting blues or iPhone waiting blues or Macbook waiting blues or Mini waiting blues....

... I've still got the Mac Pro Waiting Blues.

Who here would bet $100 that Apple won't update a non Mac Pro product before the Mac Pro? I would not take that bet.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 01:58 PM

So nice of Apple to include wifi capabilities in the iPod, too. Maybe the new Mac Pro will come with this stuff, too. Nahh, that'd be craaazzyyy.
You're so right. You spent a few hundreds for your iPod and you get wi-fi. But when you spend thousands for a Mac Pro, you've got to pay wi-fi as extra! Go figure.

Who here would bet $100 that Apple won't update a non Mac Pro product before the Mac Pro? I would not take that bet.
Well, what else is left to update? Isn't it the Mac Pro / ACD time for an update?

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2007, 03:28 PM

I was at the Atlanta (Lenox) Apple store today and they only had one Mac Pro on the display floor. Only ONE! I had to look to find it.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2007, 04:06 PM

Apple Unveils Long Awaited Upgrade To Mac Pro

SAN FRANCISCO—September 5, 2007—In order to spur criticism that their Mac Pro is becoming quite long in the tooth, Apple® today unveiled the new branding of the Mac Pro. Following suit with their ever popular iPod image, the Mac Pro, from this day forward will be known as the "Mac Pro Classic."

"The feelings of nostalgia that you'll get using a 2-year-old video card and year-old processor, while paying 2006 prices is unparalleled! So much so, that a name change to the 'Mac Pro Classic' has been applauded by industry insiders," said Apple's CEO The Real Steve. "Though some may not be experiencing that 'loving feeling' which can be found using antiquated hardware," he continued, "they will indeed appreciate our generous upgrade of standard hard drive capacity from early 2006's 250GB standard to the 8-month-old standard of 300GB."

To further the sentimentality of the new (classic) line of professional Macs, Apple is reintroducing the ADC connector standard on all MPC (Mac Pro Classic) video cards. For those who do not have an ADC monitor, Apple is also reintroducing in limited release, the ADC to DVI converter at a groundbreaking price point of only $499.00.

The new Mac Pro Classics will be shipping within 6 to 8 weeks.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with some computers they built. Today, Apple still makes a few computers and some software. More importantly, Apple is now taking over the digital music market with their iPod portable music and video players (who's product line includes the iPod shuffle, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, and the new and exciting iPod touch all of which you should go out and buy right away!) and iTunes online store. Apple has recently revolutionized the way the world talks on a cell phone with their brand new iPhone, yes you read that right, Apple does make a new product called the iPhone which is the most amazing thing you will ever have the pleasure of seeing in your lifetime. If you have not yet had the chance to try out an iPhone you have not yet actually lived life itself.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 04:47 PM

Lol, hilarious!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
Well, what else is left to update? Isn't it the Mac Pro / ACD time for an update?
The MacBook could also use a 'real' update to today's chips instead of the July 2006 vintage CPU, January 2006 vintage chipset, and May 2005 vintage GPU they're currently using.

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 06:01 PM

The MacBook could also use a 'real' update to today's chips instead of the July 2006 vintage CPU, January 2006 vintage chipset, and May 2005 vintage GPU they're currently using.
Hey, the Mini just got that vintage chipset! Count your blessings if your favorite product isn't discontinued--let alone upgraded.

-S

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 06:38 PM

I think the mac pro's will be revealed when leopard is released. Intel released new chips today so think steve will show the power of this bad ass updated computer with leopard. Just have to wait one more month. Patients grasshopper.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
I think the mac pro's will be revealed when leopard is released. Intel released new chips today so think steve will show the power of this bad ass updated computer with leopard. Just have to wait one more month. Patients grasshopper.
Randy
Unfortunately, the procs released today, are at a pricepoint MUCH higher than the current chips were when they were introduced (the top end processor is $2000+ wholesale). These new processors are for very high end servers and number crunching machines- not desktop workstations. Don't get me wrong, they'd be awesome in a MP, but the price point is simply too high to make them cost effective in any sense of the word for the MP.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 07:46 PM

I wish Apple would hurry the hell up with the Mac Pro release so that I could get a iPod touch at the same time, taking advantage of the promo...

It looks like the planets will not be in alignment this time around. *sigh*

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Randy
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Forum Links
Forum Rules