Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ext Hd suggestions..

Ext Hd suggestions..
gangaspeed
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2007, 06:21 PM

I want an external hard drive with 200gb that is firewire compatible for my PB G4, I have only a Firewire 400 connection. Any suggestions?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 11:01 PM

I use OWC: Apple Mac G4 upgrades, Laptop Batteries, Memory, Drives, nice folks, good service. Some folks go to NewEgg for bargains, but I do not believe in trusting data to bargain hardware. Buy a combo FW400/FW800 drive so you can also use it with any FW800-capable box you may get later.

-Allen Wicks

EndlessMac
Senior User
Aug 17, 2007, 12:40 AM

I currently have a Seagate external hard drive. I've also heard good things about Western Digital and some people like LaCie brands. I haven't tried those myself so I can't comment. The Seagate has been working great.

Just make sure that the drive you want has Firewire because it seems all the brands have a version with and without Firewire. I also agree with gangaspeed in that if you can you should find one with both Firewire 400 (which is what you have) and Firewire 800 for when you upgrade to a new computer. It's even faster than the 400 version. Not all hard drives have Firewire 800 but if you happen to find one with both within your price range then go for it.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2007, 12:54 AM

Check out macgurus hot-swappable enclosures and New Egg's hard drive offerings. Pretty sweet combination. Robust.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

Forum Links
Forum Rules