Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > EyeTV DVB-T quality

EyeTV DVB-T quality
HamSandwich
May 13, 2012, 11:43 AM

Hey!

We are using EyeTV and DVB-T here in Germany and I wonder about the picture quality... Sometimes I think it's identical with normal tv (cable etc.), sometimes, depending on the scene, it looks a bit washed out. What do you think? Is EyeTV over DVB-T possible with great quality? Is the antenna so important? I always thought Germany and especially the area we live in would be rather modernized with DVB-T reception, but this sometimes...

Thanks!
Pete

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2012, 12:26 PM

DVB-T sticks pass through the raw data stream unmodified. What you see is exactly the quality that is broadcast. Unless the signal quality is too weak and the quality rapidly degrades with lots of blocking artifacts. But you don't get a "washed out" out picture as a symptom of weak signal.

DVB-T in Germany is always SD with OK (but not great) quality. Since cable companies refuse to broadcast the new HD channels of public television, the best quality option in Germany is DVB-S2 right now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2012, 04:21 PM

Yep.

DVB-T is shit quality, except for the public stations - those have noticeably better quality.

Reason is, over-the-air bandwidth costs a lot of money for antenna power.

Quality via cable is stunningly better - and there, the difference between the public and private stations is just as apparent, for the most part.

(I use the hybrid stick for analog cable in Hamburg, and I get full-HD broadcast of all public stations. My provider is willy.tel)

Forum Links
Forum Rules